The Manchester United Thread

Essentially Chelsea and Madrid would never lock themselves into a 10 year deal without having an option somewhere down the line for them to pay a certain amount of money to exit the contract. It's what Chelsea did in 2005 when they paid £24.5m to Umbro to ditch them for Adidas

Also not sure what his exit clause means. Any source?

Didn't know about Chelsea paying to terminate contract. Now I see what you meant by exit clause.

Not really sure though, Nike said they pulled out because they felt too much money was being asked and for them to let go of their stranglehold on United which has the biggest fan base in the world ... They must have really felt the deal never had a chance of working for them. So either Adidas are run by smarter people than Nike or Adidas were desperate enough to shell out big money in order to finally beat Nike to the sponsorship of the biggest club in the world

You could say that about any bidding war. There's always one party who finds the price too much and another who will accept it. Adidas obviously think they'll profit from it or they wouldn't have done it. Nike might not think they'd profit enough in line with the rest of their business - maybe they'd rather put £75m into other sponsorships in other sports.

Essentially Chelsea and Madrid would never lock themselves into a 10 year deal without having an option somewhere down the line for them to pay a certain amount of money to exit the contract. It's what Chelsea did in 2005 when they paid £24.5m to Umbro to ditch them for Adidas

Also not sure what his exit clause means. Any source?

Not really sure though, Nike said they pulled out because they felt too much money was being asked and for them to let go of their stranglehold on United which has the biggest fan base in the world ... They must have really felt the deal never had a chance of working for them. So either Adidas are run by smarter people than Nike or Adidas were desperate enough to shell out big money in order to finally beat Nike to the sponsorship of the biggest club in the world

Exiting early is likely to be costly, as the sponsor needs to make money. And only Madrid are likely to get a similar offer from Adidas.

Adidas have less market use options, and yet will still make £1.5bn. Given Nike had more options, they've bottled it.

Really? My mate who follows benfica said UTD should go for these guys they are potential WC players, who many clubs have been looking at. Do you know much about them mate?

No idea mate. All I heard few days back was many clubs are following them and also bids were rejected.

Exiting early is likely to be costly, as the sponsor needs to make money. And only Madrid are likely to get a similar offer from Adidas.

Adidas have less market use options, and yet will still make £1.5bn. Given Nike had more options, they've bottled it.
Mike, do you know much about the lads coming in on trial?

Nope, not a clue mate sorry.
LOL. Ok mate, all I can find is that nearly all top clubs are interested and Benfica have rejected offers from some of them. But we have stole a march and if impress will offer them full time contracts. Like these kind of signings as much as the big ones :) Maybe Bebe going has something to do with it :P

Wonder if Juventus would want Shinji Kagawa. ;) ;) ;)

Definitely want us to keep Chris Smalling though, he's quality when played as CB.

United Report @UtdReport
Follow

Record: Bebe´s move to Benfica is close to being completed. He will soon be a Benfica player.

Fantastic for him, year ago I thought he will play his trade in some lower league but now he is making move to the biggest club in Portugal. That's great for him.

You could say that about any bidding war. There's always one party who finds the price too much and another who will accept it. Adidas obviously think they'll profit from it or they wouldn't have done it. Nike might not think they'd profit enough in line with the rest of their business - maybe they'd rather put £75m into other sponsorships in other sports.

Yea well I guess we can't really comment without knowing the full picture. Just seems a bit disproportionate when you think about it ... It's more than double what any other club gets. I know United has a huge pull around the world but surely clubs such as Liverpool have a comparable fan base and brand value?

Yea well I guess we can't really comment without knowing the full picture. Just seems a bit disproportionate when you think about it ... It's more than double what any other club gets. I know United has a huge pull around the world but surely clubs such as Liverpool have a comparable fan base and brand value?

I don't think so. adidas pulled out of the deal when Liverpool asked for 25 Million 2 years back. Just check the revenues generated by 2 clubs and you will see whether 2 clubs are on same level.

I don't think so. adidas pulled out of the deal when Liverpool asked for 25 Million 2 years back. Just check the revenues generated by 2 clubs and you will see whether 2 clubs are on same level.

Perhaps but I still feel £75m a year feels a bit disproportionate compared to what other big clubs like Liverpool and Madrid receive. Like United is definitely the biggest club in the world but surely they don't dwarf the competition so much in terms of 'size'?

Perhaps but I still feel £75m a year feels a bit disproportionate compared to what other big clubs like Liverpool and Madrid receive. Like United is definitely the biggest club in the world but surely they don't dwarf the competition so much in terms of 'size'?

Yeah have to give major credit to ManUtd commercial team and Woodward.

Back