The Manchester United Thread

Tbf Blind will give us many options in both systems. I thought Di Maria was good as CM today though, didn't realise his passing range was so good either.

The issue I have with di Maria at CM is that he has noone else in the team with his pace, to make those attacking runs with him. That's what made him so lethal at Madrid - 3 people with crazy pace instantly put opposition defence under pressure, and di Maria had more space. Over here, he has less space, and when he tried to create some by drifting and running, there was noone to make use of it. Instead of trying to get him as a playmaker, I'd much rather have Mata there, and use di Maria's pace on the wings.

I know it's way too early to be calling it, but anyhow, I still feel he'd be better for us as a winger.

The issue I have with di Maria at CM is that he has noone else in the team with his pace, to make those attacking runs with him. That's what made him so lethal at Madrid - 3 people with crazy pace instantly put opposition defence under pressure, and di Maria had more space. Over here, he has less space, and when he tried to create some by drifting and running, there was noone to make use of it. Instead of trying to get him as a playmaker, I'd much rather have Mata there, and use di Maria's pace on the wings.

I know it's way too early to be calling it, but anyhow, I still feel he'd be better for us as a winger.

Di Maria was so dangerous because he leads the counter. He doesnt need exceptional pace around him, just smart movement. Which is easier to do if the wide players are already advanced.

Yeh true, but when Shaw is back he'll provide more over-laps for Di Maria I imagine, Young however won't, so much.

Mata as a CM isn't a good idea though because he's not as tactically astute as Di Maria and has been caught napping by not tracking back plenty of times before. That's why you kind of need him in more of a free role like no.10.

Di Maria is a great winger, but he is an exceptional CM. Herrera is certainly a playmaker as well. He combines playmaking with direct counters, thats why hes been bought to play there. Even when he was "wide" for Madrid, he was set deep and narrow.

He'd have a bigger impact from CM as he is always part of the play, starting and being part of the finishing move.

At Madrid? Sure, I definitely agree with you. But with our team, I doubt that. Playmaking yeah, but direct counters, we don't have the pace other than di Maria to do that. And the two other people who have pace, Welbeck can't finish, and Valencia for some reason refuses to take on his man. and I won't mention Young, just not worth it.

It depends on Herrera too, I guess. Atm, strikers are kinda dropping deeper, since the ball is not moving to them in the progressive areas. But if Herrera gets back, his Box-to-Box play could solve that problem, which could possibly allow di Maria's direct counters. Atm, though, I'd have him on the wings.

Yeh true, but when Shaw is back he'll provide more over-laps for Di Maria I imagine, Young however won't, so much.

Mata as a CM isn't a good idea though because he's not as tactically astute as Di Maria and has been caught napping by not tracking back plenty of times before. That's why you kind of need him in more of a free role like no.10.

Blind (and Carrick, which is why LVG was so upset to lose him) is at home dropping from DM into the back line, which turns the 2 at the back into a 3 at the back, this then pushes the FBs higher up the pitch knowing there is cover. Think classic Barcelona

At Madrid? Sure, I definitely agree with you. But with our team, I doubt that. Playmaking yeah, but direct counters, we don't have the pace other than di Maria to do that. And the two other people who have pace, Welbeck can't finish, and Valencia for some reason refuses to take on his man. and I won't mention Young, just not worth it.

It depends on Herrera too, I guess. Atm, strikers are kinda dropping deeper, since the ball is not moving to them in the progressive areas. But if Herrera gets back, his Box-to-Box play could solve that problem, which could possibly allow di Maria's direct counters. Atm, though, I'd have him on the wings.

We dont because the full backs who do are injured, and Rojo has no permit. We need those surging overlaps back for the counter.

Blind (and Carrick, which is why LVG was so upset to lose him) is at home dropping from DM into the back line, which turns the 2 at the back into a 3 at the back, this then pushes the FBs higher up the pitch knowing there is cover. Think classic Barcelona

My question is, do you think Blind has the talent to dictate games from deep? (not expecting to the level of Scholes obviously, but you know how he would be able to spread and spray passes to flanks and everything), do you think he has ability to do that? Because I know he is technically good and his passing is as well.

My question is, do you think Blind has the talent to dictate games from deep? (not expecting to the level of Scholes obviously, but you know how he would be able to spread and spray passes to flanks and everything), do you think he has ability to do that? Because I know he is technically good and his passing is as well.

He does. Not because he is secretly super exceptional, but because he is Dutch, and a very good Dutch player. The 4-3-3 is their lifeblood, it is ingrained in their style as much as the 4-4-2 is in ours. It's what he did for Ajax last season when they moved him from the left.

So, if we switch to 4-3-3, drop either of Rooney or RvP?

We'd have to, but I don't think the plan is to switch to 4-3-3..... yet.

Think LVG will give 3-5-2 more of a chance when we have our injured players back (which will be mostly after the international break in time for QPR).

I wouldn't mind at all. Team > Individuals.

Saying that we can accommodate them if we play sort of wide diamond giving Di Maria freedom to drift wide.

Would be my call, or tuck Rooney narrow and tell him that defensively should press the full back rather than track the wideman, an offensively create another angle of passing. I'd eventually turn him into the most attacking of the CM and maybe have Di Maria wide.

Just got back from day out. Dissapionted with result a bit, but not surprised either. Really need to get some players back asap. Very happy with Blind signing, at a good price to. My mate text me saying Ladyman said UTD to bring in 1 more after Blind.

Just got back from day out. Dissapionted with result a bit, but not surprised either. Really need to get some players back asap. Very happy with Blind signing, at a good price to. My mate text me saying Ladyman said UTD to bring in 1 more after Blind.

I think LVG meant Blind was the 1 more.

But if there is another, woohay. Imagine pulling off Hummels. Would make it the best window, ever.

I think LVG meant Blind was the 1 more.

But if there is another, woohay. Imagine pulling off Hummels. Would make it the best window, ever.

This is pretty much our best window ever. Now its upto the manager and the players, both in terms of staying fit and playing well because we have more than enough quality now.

This is pretty much our best window ever. Now its upto the manager and the players, both in terms of staying fit and playing well because we have more than enough quality now.

Yeh, still think we could do with a "more" experienced and commanding CB than Evans because he does make mistakes, often when on the ball and picks up niggly injuries.

Yeh, still think we could do with a "more" experienced and commanding CB than Evans because he does make mistakes, often when on the ball and picks up niggly injuries.

I think he will look to protect the defence and see how they grow over the season. If they dont come along as well, he will probably go into the market. But midfield is his priority now, hence Strootman. If he gets him we are almost certainly going 4-3-3, if we havent already

Back