The Manchester United Thread

Explain to me how half a proper game is a chance. Seriously. Id love to hear that one.

Lets go back shall we. We have always given youth a chance, OK. Fine. Who didnt back in the 50's and 60's? Then because of Munich, we had to rely on youth to an even greater extent because half the team was wiped out. Even if Munich didnt happen, we still would have relied on youth because thats just how things was back then. We may have got the odd player in from the surrounding cities, but it was still youth that was used.

Move on to the 70's and 80's and we still relied on youth. We was a mid-table team back then, even got relegated, with the odd good cup run and a title challenge here and there. Again we had to rely on bringing our own players through, just like all the other teams then. We wasn't anything special or an exception to the rule.

Then the Fergie era. He, being influenced by Sir Matt, bought into the whole give youth a chance philosophy. Did we really have any other choice in the mid to late 80's? Yeh we had a bit of money, probably more than most and bought our fair share of players but still, teams HAD to rely on youth even then.

The 90's. Class of 92. A group of players all at the same time that only come along like that once in a lifetime. We struck lucky. Emphasising the "united way" of using youth and pushing it to the extreme. And back then, things like only being able to play 3 non english players in Europe certainly helped with regards to relying on youth. How do you think Gary Neville got his chance? Even british players didnt count. They had to be English. So once you started Schmeichel, Irwin and Hughes/Cantona, we had to rely on youth. And the rest followed. They was at the team then for the best part of 15-20 years.

But once the Premiership took off, and the money started to rise, our youth development has tailed off. We have a record for having the most players coming from our youth team, but only a small percentage actually got a chance. Most had to leave to get a chance after losing their best years of development waiting. Most went on to play at a pretty decent level, but what could have been with a bit more of a chance?

The Champions League era and the rule changes didnt help either. We no longer had to rely on youth to make a squad. We could use all the British players and foreigners. Theres another route taken away from the youth. And its just spiralled. Yes we have continued to give youth a chance, but Rio, Rooney, Ronaldo, Jones, Smalling, De Gea ect have all been bought for big money. Not developed at the clough or carrington. Only a handful of truly home grown youth players have been key members of the squads over the years since the class of 92. The likes of Brown, O'Shea, Fletcher, Welbeck, Cleverley and probably only a couple I forgot. Im talking consistent squad players that get a reasonable amount of game time. Not the Phil Bardsley's and Kieran Richardson's of this world.

Yes we have given youth a chance. But there is a difference between buying youth for 10's of Millions and playing them and bringing through your own. In my eyes, we dont do it enough. And thats the last I'll say on the matter. Should have known not to try and have an intelligent conversation on an internet forum.

Last time I checked, McNair is 20 and as a defender in a season where we will likely play 55 games, I'm not worried for his long term development. Considering LVG has a penchant for pushing through youth I'm not going to get all weepy about it

Last time I checked, McNair is 20 and as a defender in a season where we will likely play 55 games, I'm not worried for his long term development. Considering LVG has a penchant for pushing through youth I'm not going to get all weepy about it

Completely missed the point. If not for the injuries last year, would McNair have got a chance? I honestly believe he wouldnt have. Certainly not to the extent he did. Maybe a league cup game or a 20 minute cameo in a game we have all but won. Him at Blackett got a game because we literally had nobody else left. Blackett I dont really like. McNair really impressed me, and probably surprised LVG a bit with how good he was and should now be considered part of the squad. Not a youngster puching through. For me he's already established that.

People keep saying about LVG bringing through youth, and I'll ask the question again in the hope I'll actually get a proper answer this time. Seeing as LVG likes to bring through youth, apart from McNair and Blackett that he had to play because his hand was forced through injuries, who else did he give a chance to youth wise? Wilson had already broken through under Giggs and Januzaj was already around the team for 2 seasons. Theres nobody else.

You're greatly overestimating just how much lack of playtime stalls development. Yeah, its optimal if to play first team football as soon as possible, but if they're talented enough they will get their break eventually.

Barca very nearly lost Messi when cutting out youth team budgets, do you honestly believe he would'nt resurface elsewhere? Fabregas and Jordi Alba, same thing. They were offloaded to various clubs, developed there, and eventualy had to be bought back for a hefty fee. Bayern managed to lose Hummels, Chelsea lost Matic, there's a lot of careers out there that went like this.

Enough talent and hard work and you will get your break, and if you don't, chances are you were never good enough to begin with.

Do you not think he was forced last season into giving a chance to McNair and Blackett given all the injuries? You say we could have just gone out and bought someone but who knows if there was any budget left after buying di Maria and the money for falcao.

Those two were put in out of desperation, not because he thought they deserved a place in a fully fit defense. There's a big difference.

Who else did he give a chance to really? Wilson had already broken through as had januzaj.

How does it matter? There are teams in PL who plays players out of position rather than playing youngsters even when there is any injury issues. Also Wilson didn't broke into the team before Van Gaal came, playing half game here and there is not. In few games he was selected ahead of Falcao and that's giving chance.

Also you are ignoring how much pressure ManUtd were under after missing out on CL and having worst season in long time. Times have changed, you can't compare 60s and 90s with current time. Back then we had such a head start and strong team and PL overall was not as strong so fielding youngsters wasn't much of an issue. Also coach was given time.

To make any experiments, Manager should establish himself at the club. Even Fegie didn't just start throwing kids in the game, he was appointed in 86, made few big money purchases and once he got the winning streak youngsters were thrown in the deep end.

You are expecting too much from Van Gaal in 1 year.

Players like Januzaj were played against Chelsea, ManCity. That's a big statement. Giving youth chance doesn't mean giving them first games. Januzaj didn't play as much as season before but still he got chances after so many big name signings.

The way he threw McNair out of nowhere into the first team was brilliant and any other manager would have used senior player out of position. Whether forced or not, he still trusted the young players to step up and that's the reason they were on the pitch. Van Gaal won't play if he doesn't trust them. (read Lindegaard, Rafael to an extent).

Saying that, Van Gaal is just 1 year in the job, massive changes are happening at the club and we are in some serious trouble of staying behind. It's not the time to take even more risks.

Completely missed the point. If not for the injuries last year, would McNair have got a chance? I honestly believe he wouldnt have. Certainly not to the extent he did. Maybe a league cup game or a 20 minute cameo in a game we have all but won. Him at Blackett got a game because we literally had nobody else left. Blackett I dont really like. McNair really impressed me, and probably surprised LVG a bit with how good he was and should now be considered part of the squad. Not a youngster puching through. For me he's already established that.

People keep saying about LVG bringing through youth, and I'll ask the question again in the hope I'll actually get a proper answer this time. Seeing as LVG likes to bring through youth, apart from McNair and Blackett that he had to play because his hand was forced through injuries, who else did he give a chance to youth wise? Wilson had already broken through under Giggs and Januzaj was already around the team for 2 seasons. Theres nobody else.

Your post is just missing context. Just because Van Gaal is known to give youth a chance doesn't mean you expect him to throw 20 kids to the first time at a time and that too in his first year.

Like I said, Wilson didn't. He was played in a season where there was nothing to play for. By your own admission, 1 game is not a chance and means nothing. It was Van Gaal who promoted him full time to first team and used regularly.

You can give all the excuses for McNair, point is, he still played rather than other senior players out of position. Also he was nowhere near the first team in all the years and when he was selected it was out of blue. Everyone though Thorpe will be selected but boom, it was McNair when noone thought he was good enough to make it here.

Since you count 1 game as breaking though (Wilson) then you just watch MK Dons game and count how many young players broke though to the first team.

Last edited:
Explain to me how half a proper game is a chance. Seriously. Id love to hear that one.

Lets go back shall we. .

All you have done is give excuses for the time when we gave chances to the youth and one time when we didn't, you just pointed that out to prove something.

When you don't have good enough player to make the grade then there is no point playing average player for the sake of it. Evne then Fergie played them before selling.

Your last point is just nonsense. You just think you are having intelligent conversation but it's not. It's just pages full of excuses to prove some point.

I didn't miss the point Steve, tyton and Sunil picked up on it straight away. I will however remember to avoid having any kind of conversation with you in the future.

Anyway to the rest, are Everton really thinking about spending 8m on Evans?!

I didn't miss the point Steve, tyton and Sunil picked up on it straight away. I will however remember to avoid having any kind of conversation with you in the future.

Hopefully they do. Win win situation for both. Everton will get good CB for cheaper price, we will offload player who is not good enough for us and Evans will get regular playing time and he don't even have to relocate.

I think Martinez denied their interest, but wouldn't be surprised if they would still be interested depending on Stones' situation.

Just feel bad for Milan guys lol

Players like Cristante looking good, playing for many Italy youth teams, hoping to get put through to first team then sold for 2 million.

Now we have one of the brightest prospects (or hyped up maybe...) in Mastour. Yet loads of rumors at the moment he is going to be sold, hes just ****** turned 17!

I'm hanging some hopes on the likes of De Santis at centre back (which is the weakest position for Milan currently)

Di Molfetta could become good too in a few years, if anyone has seen him.

Anyway...... back to United!

I wouldn't really want Pedro if he was going to be a CF, don't think that's how he really plays. Not sure who I would bring in if it was me managing. Need a player that can back up Rooney but good enough to do the job if he gets injured.

Now you have a lot of threats from midfield, plenty of players who can grab a goal so maybe you don't need a super forward but a player who can hold the ball up well

I really have no idea on the forward other than its not Cavani

People are assuming we are going to buy another striker. If, as you say, we may get a player who can hold the ball up, fellaini is more than capable. Dont forget striker will not be Fellini's primary position. He'll get more than enough games in midfield. But if a change is needed, especially a change in style, fellaini is the ideal choice to fill the big man role.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Hopefully they do. Win win situation for both. Everton will get good CB for cheaper price, we will offload player who is not good enough for us and Evans will get regular playing time and he don't even have to relocate.

LOL. Jonny evans and good in the same sentence. Whoever saw the fax/email for 8mill is probably still rubbing their eyes.

Who the **** is this striker LVG is referring to we are near signing in his press conference?

Hope his English was mixed up when he said Darmian will be second selection to Valencia.

LOL. Jonny evans and good in the same sentence. Whoever saw the fax/email for 8mill is probably still rubbing their eyes.

LOL, without being good he played so many games for ManUtd.

This is the kind of posts I was talking about last 2 days. Player is not good enough for ManUtd then "LAWL he is not good, he is ****" kind of retarded posts. He is much better than the average CBs playing in PL.

Last edited:
Im in fear that its somebody like Berahino!!!

Well, I would be close to suicide too...but look, if we could have him for something like 15 million, fair enough, he would be a decent Rooney deputy. But on the other hand it would be a bit luxury signing Cavani for something like 40 million and bench him.

Im in fear that its somebody like Berahino!!!

Not the worst backup but would be very underwhelming. Got a feeling it's Pedro, reliable sources say we're close to him. Ok he's not a forward entirely but LVG might want to play him there.

Back