The Manchester United Thread

Don't take that as gospel. Maybe that's what he sees for Blind and just testing the water on Tour so we have options during the season. Don't really take notice of what goes on Tour matches. Hopefully get a rough idea of formation tomorrow.

Am I right in thinking there's just the two games left before Tottenham?

If so, you'd expect more or less the starting XI that game to get a good run out tomorrow and the majority the full game against PSG.

Be interesting to see how much weaker or not Barca are with their season not starting until later in August.

Spurs game is not important. Champions League qualificaion game is.

The teams there fight for blood, literally. There's some have proper teams there too, so you can't afford to experiment too much or wait with transfers to deadline. Not to even mention switching goalkeepers at last minute.

Agreed Tyton man,

That's by far the most important of the opening games and more than likely a real tricky test to navigate. Just mentioned 'Spurs with the English season starting stupidly early and that being up first.

Pre season matters for fitness and team gelling. We battered every side last season, and had a terrible start. most of what we need will come from training, not 4 pre season games

Reality is the only person who comes close is Hummels and he showed loyalty to Dortmund. I know that these types of players are at a premium but doesn't make it right in my opinion.
Would you buy Harry Kane over Karim Benzema?

We battered every side last season, and had a terrible start. most of what we need will come from training, not 4 pre season games

Exactly.
After the results we had last year in pre season, I got a little bit too excited and put my numpty hat on.
Thinking we were going to steam roll the Premier League XD

LVG said He will be playing some matches behind closed doors which will be very beneficial in my opinion.
I really believe Morgan Schneiderlin will transition to United without any hiccups and will be one of the most important players next season when the chips are down.

I may be wrong, but you can quote me on that if the time comes.

Edit: I've just realised my girlfriend is the best ever.
We had a table booked for dinner tonight and when she realised the United game was on at a reasonable hour, she said we should cancel the table, get some drinks in, I download 'The 2nd best marigold hotel' for her and I can enjoy the match!!

Quality :wub:

Last edited:
In all seriousness I was just merely saying I don't take previous trophy collections as a reason to rate a player better than another. I go on the here and now, who I think will be better signing and for me I'd prefer Otamendi for all the reasons I've mentioned before. I've not once said that I wouldn't want Ramos, I'd happily take either as we need a high quality CB regardless but part of my lean towards Otamendi is because I think we'll get more out of him. When you consider everything such as wages and transfer fee, IMO Ramos is too hefty especially for age/wanting out supposedly. Obviously the club don't as they try to pursue him, I shouldn't be bothered about this kind of stuff I know but I am.

I really dont think you have been reading what I've said if you think its just about trophy collections. It's his performances and contributions to them, which have been huge for almost a decade. He is a lynchpin for both club and country. It's also about mentality. Ramos, like Schweinsteiger, knows how to win, and what it takes.

These players have won everything going because they never rest, they are never satisfied with what they have. One is never enough. I wonder if it's his on pitch cuntyness that makes people doubt his will to win, but it's never been in doubt, even from his detractors in Spain.

Otamendi will still cost plenty. You will pay less in wages, but you also don't gain any of the nous, leadership and mentality that Ramos has, you certainly don't get the consistency. People should be looking at Ramos the same way we look at Bastian. Perhaps they dont because he isn't as likeable, but make no mistake he carries the same legendary winning nature.

Last edited:
Would you buy Harry Kane over Karim Benzema?

Karim Benzema will not join United if he's available unless Rooney goes (never happening). At least your executives were not stupid enough to announce that you have over £200 million to spend, meaning that you don't pay a premium. United have plenty to spend and I think that Ramos should be signed in my opinion. He has another 4-5 years surely and the younger defenders (Smalling and Jones) can be eased in. At the moment, a center back isn't a priority. I would be more worried about team cohesion, gelling and good tactics

Karim Benzema will not join United if he's available unless Rooney goes (never happening). At least your executives were not stupid enough to announce that you have over £200 million to spend, meaning that you don't pay a premium. United have plenty to spend and I think that Ramos should be signed in my opinion. He has another 4-5 years surely and the younger defenders (Smalling and Jones) can be eased in. At the moment, a center back isn't a priority. I would be more worried about team cohesion, gelling and good tactics
He wasn't saying we should buy benzema. He was highlighting the difference between otamendi and Ramos. Would you take Kane after one good season, or the consistently high level benzema?

But Smalling is 25, and Jones 23. Smalling has been at the club for five years, and the latter joined a year thereafter. I think that they are somewhat past that now.

But Smalling is 25, and Jones 23. Smalling has been at the club for five years, and the latter joined a year thereafter. I think that they are somewhat past that now.

23 was the age Terry started to improve at...

Point is, they've been here long enough to not be young defenders anymore. Particularly Jones.

Jones is 23, thats incredibly young for a defender. Smalling is 25, and funnily enough is starting to come into his own... How long they have been here doesn't change their age

Jones is 23, thats incredibly young for a defender. Smalling is 25, and funnily enough is starting to come into his own... How long they have been here doesn't change their age

Disagree. They may be coming into their own, surprising still for Smalling, but they've been part of the first-team setup for a some time now. What I don't get is that they need to be "eased in".

How long they have been at the club probably wouldn't make that much of a difference if they were not heavily involved in the last three, four seasons.

To put it into context, the much lauded Otamendi at 25 wasnt even as good as Smalling is now, and was shipped off to Atletico MG on loan to harden up because he wasn't cutting it for Porto.

Disagree. They may be coming into their own, surprising still for Smalling, but they've been part of the first-team setup for a some time now. What I don't get is that they need to be "eased in".

How long they have been at the club probably wouldn't make that much of a difference if they were not heavily involved in the last three, four seasons.

You might well disagree, but look at Otamendi. He'd been part of Porto's first team for 3 years. People want a player at 27 who at 25 wasn't good enough for his side...

You might well disagree, but look at Otamendi. He'd been part of Porto's first team for 3 years. People want a player at 27 who at 25 wasn't good enough for his side...

That is a fair point. However, is that not a case of him struggling to adapt to the conditions, rather than him being 25? Does being 25 still qualify him as a young defender? I'm not sure.

That is a fair point. However, is that not a case of him struggling to adapt to the conditions, rather than him being 25? Does being 25 still qualify him as a young defender? I'm not sure.
No player is young anymore at 25, however the talent is still there and it's not to late to make a name in United history. He needs to play in a stable side with someone protecting the defence, with great team cohesion and tactical certainty.

Back