The Manchester United Thread

If I had to take a gamble I would go for Paulo Fonseca at Shaktar. Play very much the style of football we praise Klopp, Poch for. Doesn’t mind playing youth and very good with the press.

If not him Jardim!

Would any Utd fans take Antonio Conte if Jose was to go? I know last season for him wasn’t great at Chelsea and the football was absolutely awful for the large part but he did a fantastic job in his title winning season and we were a lot better to watch when he was actually happy at the club.

Would any Utd fans take Antonio Conte if Jose was to go? I know last season for him wasn’t great at Chelsea and the football was absolutely awful for the large part but he did a fantastic job in his title winning season and we were a lot better to watch when he was actually happy at the club.

Not for me, he shouldn't be the type of manager we now target, he's a good manager but far too temperamental.... he would be unhappy quickly here.

I like how this thread has turned into a case of what managers people want, assuming he's either gone, or going soon.

Don't think he'll be fired, not this year at least. United are the type of club who pride themselves on not making rash decisions, giving their managers time etc. Something that grew out of Fergie's long time there, which just makes it even weirder Mourinho's here in the first place to be honest. Not the type to stick around.

Honestly what was the plan? They knew hiring him he wouldn't be there for 5+ years or whatever, they knew they might win a title or two when he's there, sure, but with the media outbursts and his general controversial personality, and how quickly he leaves etc, why did they even hire him? Curious to get opinions on this. Didn't make sense at the time, and still doesn't.

I like how this thread has turned into a case of what managers people want, assuming he's either gone, or going soon.

Don't think he'll be fired, not this year at least. United are the type of club who pride themselves on not making rash decisions, giving their managers time etc. Something that grew out of Fergie's long time there, which just makes it even weirder Mourinho's here in the first place to be honest. Not the type to stick around.

Honestly what was the plan? They knew hiring him he wouldn't be there for 5+ years or whatever, they knew they might win a title or two when he's there, sure, but with the media outbursts and his general controversial personality, and how quickly he leaves etc, why did they even hire him? Curious to get opinions on this. Didn't make sense at the time, and still doesn't.

The plan was what it always is with a manager like Mourinho: short term success. When that fails and he doesn't deliver second season then you pretty much have nothing left as history shows, Mourinho's 3rd seasons can be disastrous.

I'm pretty sure our board and especially Woodward just see it as a quick fix, but first and foremost, lets get the shiny glamorous signings that bring in shirt sales. Lets not prioritise a director of football despite it being of most importance to the club right now.

Yep, we don't need a experienced CB at all. Never saw a team winning leagues based on the reliability of their CB's.

I had my share of bashing Mourinho in this forum, but gotta say, without Fergie, the board was always helpless.

God ****, the presser was decent and Mou made some good points but whyy to you do this stuff in the end....

You know its bad when rival clubs want Mourinho to stay on.

Indeed.

As one of the lads here just said, he really hopes they beat Burnley Sunday. Don’t need the loses piling up and Woodward getting ideas to bin him.

God ****, the presser was decent and Mou made some good points but whyy to you do this stuff in the end....

He always makes good points, and he's certainly not raving like some suggest. But ultimately he's suffering from problems of his own making.

Problem for us is if things continue the way they are... we have to sack Mourinho to avoid the 3rd season history he produces... but who on earth would we even turn to? Zidane is seemingly the only slight option and there is no one else seemingly who could come in. Even Zidane has supposedly taken some role at Juventus, but not sure if that is finalised yet. Director of football or something.

As much as I think Zidane is a great man manager, I'm not all that confident he is the one to turn this club around. It's a much bigger challenge than Madrid will ever be. Despite his incredible achievement in the CL.

Lukaku's finishing has been dreadful in these 3 opening games, he can't be missing open goals. Such a mess, he done well last season but I always feel we need another good striker to really offer something else. Rashford and Sanchez aren't really strikers so not like he has any real competition.

Back