The Manchester United Thread

The thing I can't quite work out is who exactly is responsible for the tactics? We keep hearing about this tactical masterclass from Solskjaer in the first half but any time he was in the stands it was always McKenna in conversation with him. Obviously they all have a job to do behind the scenes and all have an input to the tactics/gameplan but it really wouldnt surprise me if most of the tactics was down to McKenna and not actually Solskjaer.

Good point, I think it is very much a combined effort from our coaching team. That is actually the case with most clubs, when you hear 'tactical masterclass' it isn't just down to the manager and in reality it is probably more to do with his coaching staff just as much. That's not me taking anything away from Ole at all, a manager has a lot of duties and he clearly played a part with the tactics. But like you I do think McKenna and to a lesser extent Carrick are able to express their opinions much more now than when Mourinho was here.

It was a great gameplan anyway, especially in first half and however they came up with it was definitely catching Spurs off guard. Also one thing that we do have to remember that Ole has only been here 5 minutes, the fact that he was able to achieve that performance in 45 mins alone was a massive achievement. If he had of been here longer who knows maybe we would of seen that performance throughout the whole 90 and they would of been able to adapt tactically to Spurs. Especially in the second half when it is fair to say we were hanging on a bit.

Last edited:
No offence to Red bull but I highly doubt any role there would convince him over one at United. If we really want him as DoF then I think we will get him. I hope we're not bullshitting like last season though when there were rumours and do actually get one this time.

Last edited:
Hopefully some people don't mind me posing about the game yesterday now. But I still have a really hard time evaluating Ole's credentials from our performance vs Spurs and whether we can gauge as to whether he truly does deserve the role on a longer basis. I personally think first half was tactically spot on and was highlighted perfectly with the goal we scored. Now I know the Sissoko injury forced Spurs to make a tactical change and Eriksen went a bit deeper. But watching the second half again, there was quite a few things that I feel we didn't adapt to. We wasn't closing down Trippier and he had far too many times to cross the ball. Whilst I understand that we need that dominating CB, that doesn't really solve that particular problem.

Overall I was left a bit marmite with Ole, first half you couldn't ask for a better approach but the lack of adapting to Spurs in the second kind of does worry me. In an ideal world I'd love if we could make this work long-term and he will get plenty more opportunities to show that.

A great win nonetheless and this team is undoubtedly revitalised, Ole deserves a lot of credit for how he has done this no matter what happened from now until end of season.
Trippier had a lot of room in the first half as well. This was due to martial not tracking back which was a good thing as when we won back the ball, we could easily use him and rashford as good counter-attacking outlets. It was a bit of a high risk/high reward tactic.

On thing I will say is the midfield dropped way too deep in the 2nd half.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I just don't see the point in drawing conclusions six games in, he'll have half a season to do it. Still got to play most of the other big six again, still got to play PSG. Let the carry on, worry about it in April

Makes sense. Sounds lovely me the club finally getting bits **** in order and not half arsing it this time!

Ducker:

[FONT=&quot]There’s already growing momentum among large parts of the United dressing room for Solskjaer to get the job permanently at the end of the season. #MUFC not being deterred from a thorough recruitment process though, with Pochettino still first choice for Ed Woodward.[/FONT]

U18s - Stoke City vs Manchester United:

1-0 Utd atm. Greenwood the scorer :)

Best make that 2-0 Greenwood again
(6) 2 mins after scoring the first :)

3-0 Mellor with it. Traore with the assist.

4-0 Brandon Williams. Think it was Greenwood with the assist.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Sounds lovely me the club finally getting bits **** in order and not half arsing it this time!

Ducker:

There’s already growing momentum among large parts of the United dressing room for Solskjaer to get the job permanently at the end of the season. #MUFC not being deterred from a thorough recruitment process though, with Pochettino still first choice for Ed Woodward.

Yeah I guess that's naturally going to happen because he's a very likeable guy and winning is addictive. But like I hope Woodward and the board will not rush into any decision, we need the right manager for us long-term and for me that's still Pochettino. One thing I hope we don't get a manager like Simeone, who has been reported in a few papers.

More and more reporting now that Fellaini, Rojo, Valencia will be firstbout there door either this month or in the Summer.

More and more reporting now that Fellaini, Rojo, Valencia will be firstbout there door either this month or in the Summer.

Long overdue, but ****** loving it! Ole is making decisions other managers have either bottled or simply didn't want to do because they didn't ever follow the United way.

Long overdue, but ****** loving it! Ole is making decisions other managers have either bottled or simply didn't want to do because they didn't ever follow the United way.
Tbh there 3 we can easily get rid of without replacing. Throw all there wages at DDG and Martial.

Why on earth would you want Fellaini gone. I think he has proven himself quite valuable over the years. To the point that managers as different as LVG and Jose both rated him highly.

Why on earth would you want Fellaini gone. I think he has proven himself quite valuable over the years. To the point that managers as different as LVG and Jose both rated him highly.
Tbh he’s been a good squad player and overly criticised to much. But it the club are going back to playing Utd football then he just simply doesn’t fit. Quite clearly obvious as how many times Ole hasn’t even had him in the squad.

LVG and Mourinho rating him highly is good enough reason to get rid, not to mention Moyes. All jokes aside, he never fits United if we are going to a progressive attacking style of football under Ole and beyond. I don't even want him on the bench to convince a manager go long-ball to him last 10 minutes, seen enough of that *****.

Time to move on, shift the players that don't fit the identity or style we are looking to play. No point keeping the ones that don't fit, rather get someone instead who will fit this style.

LVG and Mourinho rating him highly is good enough reason to get rid, not to mention Moyes. All jokes aside, he never fits United if we are going to a progressive attacking style of football under Ole and beyond. I don't even want him on the bench to convince a manager go long-ball to him last 10 minutes, seen enough of that *****.

Time to move on, shift the players that don't fit the identity or style we are looking to play. No point keeping the ones that don't fit, rather get someone instead who will fit this style.
.... You can't have players only of one type, z. Sooner or later, you get found out, and have nothing to fall back on. The best teams can always switch to a different style with substitutions. Not saying of Fellaini in particular, but you also want to have slightly different mould of players as a Plan B (or even Plan C).

.... You can't have players only of one type, z. Sooner or later, you get found out, and have nothing to fall back on. The best teams can always switch to a different style with substitutions. Not saying of Fellaini in particular, but you also want to have slightly different mould of players as a Plan B (or even Plan C).

You never see Pep or Jurgen switching to a plan B or C. How about make Plan A good so you don't have to bring on a tree to get something out of the game.

I perfectly get that point but we're still a poor footballing team if our plan B is Fellaini. Just look at all the top teams around at the moment like City and Liverpool or any other top team for that matter, if things are going pear shaped do they suddenly totally abandon their way of playing and get a lump up front in hope that it sticks?

Can't believe I'm having to justify getting rod of Fellaini... never was a United player and is too slow/cumbersome to fit this style of intense fast football.

You never see Pep or Jurgen switching to a plan B or C. How about make Plan A good so you don't have to bring on a tree to get something out of the game.

Fully agree bro, couldn't of said it better.

Back