The Manchester United Thread

Hasn't SMS proved to be a little bit of a one-season-wonder, Mike? Only caught them once or twice this season & he was quiet, plus there's been zero word/hype about him until the recent Juve links.

Think he may have been a dodged bullet, but maybe I'm being harsh. 100M does sound a bit silly given he hasn't really done anything to maintain that value. Think I'd rather look at the likes of Maddison (Good lad, lots of quality, PL proven, big upside & cheaper), Eriksen (arguably best AM/interior in the league), and Bruno Fernandes (cheaper, workaholic and can't argue with his obscene output, albeit Liga NOS) as replacements, whilst signing someone at base (Partey!!!! €50M RC!!!) & Ndombele at 2nd CM.

He's not been as good. But he's still great

It's more a general point though. Any Pogba type replacement is going to be 70m.

And if we do it right as you mention, we could get two players for him. And still not touch our initial budget. That's why the club should remain strong, as well as the status of not being held to ransom by players.

Not to mention:

-he's basically contracted until 2022
-arguably the most marketable player in the world, imo 2nd after Neymar
-inflation adjusted, we have every right to look for almost 2x what we paid for him in 2016
-Coutinho cost 140M...

Yeah, high time we started flexing our muscles. Besides, I intensely dislike Madrid and the **** they pull around transfers. So, it's high time someone ripped them off.

Also, we should set a deadline date for the transfer. After which, stop negotiating, no matter what. Because it also takes time to get in replacements, who will come at inflated prices anyhow because they know you have the extra money.

Woodward has his faults, and I always tend to berate him, but in this instance, it's a good stance. Liverpool held firm over Coutinho (even with him forcing the transfer) and we should too, with Pogba and Lukaku. Madrid/Inter can pay or **** off. I'm also extremely happy that we have turned down part swap deals for Perisic/Bale/Icardi. Atleast shows that we have our set transfers, and are not being swayed easily. Also, it may just be me being mean, but I like to see Inter sweat it, after they hard-balled us over Perisic.

So Pogba turns out to be a little **** who only cares about himself. Who knew?

Oh right, as long as you had your eyes open, it was obvious from the start. Unprofessional comments to the media, excessive celebrations, ******* haircuts. All that stuff was self-promotion PR dictated by Raiola. From day one.

But every time I saw people bring it up on social media, there were bullshit excuses, oh he's just a young fella expressing himself, or how it's racism or whatever, even though a white dude acting like Pogba would also be ridiculed constantly.

**** it feels good to be proven right.

So Pogba turns out to be a little **** who only cares about himself. Who knew?

Oh right, as long as you had your eyes open, it was obvious from the start. Unprofessional comments to the media, excessive celebrations, ******* haircuts. All that stuff was self-promotion PR dictated by Raiola. From day one.

But every time I saw people bring it up on social media, there were bullshit excuses, oh he's just a young fella expressing himself, or how it's racism or whatever, even though a white dude acting like Pogba would also be ridiculed constantly.

**** it feels good to be proven right.

You know it can be more than one thing right? So that whole post was self indulgent rambling. You didn't actually prove anything. You haven't said anything that people didn't already see.

It's possible to be inconsistent and still be over criticised for not doing things that shouldn't be your purview (ie being the whole midfield, when even someone like KDB isn't tasked with that)

Equally hair cuts have no impact on either your training time or your performance, and anyone who uses that as a marker is a fool

We know he's got an ego, and so does his agent. And that he'd always look to to best for himself, that isn't new, it was whether he could mature more as a player over a longer period.

And there were times when people would juat attack regardless, see Souness. So when you reduce a multi pointed situation to black and white, it's not being right, it's being narrow minded.

My main issue is that the circus around him is a distraction, now that circus isn't entirely his fault, though he hasn't helped. But if we come out on top if he goes, I have no problem with that. That would go for any player in the squad, except probably Rashford, DDG and Lindelof.

Last edited:
Yea, that' bs. It takes me back to a time people said that CR7 cared more about his haircuts than about playing football. That didn't aged well.

The fact that someone likes different hairstyles has nothing to do with their professionalism. ****, Messi is full of tattos and every now and that change his hair.

De Gea wants out for a while now. Herrera didn't sign a new contract. Mata is stalling. All of that is because their looks too?

Yea, that' bs. It takes me back to a time people said that CR7 cared more about his haircuts than about playing football. That didn't aged well.

The fact that someone likes different hairstyles has nothing to do with their professionalism. ****, Messi is full of tattos and every now and that change his hair.

De Gea wants out for a while now. Herrera didn't sign a new contract. Mata is stalling. All of that is because their looks too?

The Ronaldo comparison is apt. We know Pogba cab focus and can lead, we saw it for France. The aim was to see it over a league season rather than just a tournament. I'd let him go for the right price though.

Spanish media been on the good stuff this morning! Saying Madrid have set us a date to sell them Pogba by the 1 July and will only pay 110m euros....,

Still 2 weeks to go until the pre season tour starts and remember Ole saying he wants the business done by then.... it's hard to believe it will be. Kind of feel for him really, if he has to get pre season underway and prepare this same group of players with only James as an addition..... sigh.

I'm actually surprised the actual lack of talk about outgoings..... literally nothing apart from the obvious being Pogba/Lukaku talk.

Still 2 weeks to go until the pre season tour starts and remember Ole saying he wants the business done by then.... it's hard to believe it will be. Kind of feel for him really, if he has to get pre season underway and prepare this same group of players with only James as an addition..... sigh.

I'm actually surprised the actual lack of talk about outgoings..... literally nothing apart from the obvious being Pogba/Lukaku talk.
Same for all clubs mate. Very strange and quite. Don’t think AWB will take much longer.

Same for all clubs mate. Very strange and quite. Don’t think AWB will take much longer.

We seriously need to stop comparing ourselves to other teams mate! Some big clubs in Europe have done most of their business, I understand that Madrid has worked on deals for months.... but surely we have been also?

We seriously need to stop comparing ourselves to other teams mate! Some big clubs in Europe have done most of their business, I understand that Madrid has worked on deals for months.... but surely we have been also?
Was talking in the prem in general tbh. It’s still early and I never believed all that guff about getting business done by a certain time. It’s all most impossible tbh so many factors in play. Hard to work on deals when we didn’t even have a FT manager not that long ago. Also hard to convince certain players when they are waiting to see where you finish. Sancho prime example!

You sort of contradicted yourself btw. Saying we need to stop comparing ourselves. Then start comparing ourselves to top clubs transfer business :P

..... Don’t think AWB will take much longer.

I very much doubt any move for anyone currently away on International duty get's concluded whilst they're away, but 'if' any club pays anything like £50 million for someone who's nowhere near the complete FB then they're both desperate and mad.

You can't want Woodward to go away from stupidity and then applaud massively overpaying for someone as raw as Wan-Bisakka.

And I like him a lot as you'll doubtless remember from the last International break of last season when you were arguing he was nowhere near good enough/ a fit for Utd and we had a debate over him. But that's just stupid money.

I very much doubt any move for anyone currently away on International duty get's concluded whilst they're away, but 'if' any club pays anything like £50 million for someone who's nowhere near the complete FB then they're both desperate and mad.

You can't want Woodward to go away from stupidity and then applaud massively overpaying for someone as raw as Wan-Bisakka.

And I like him a lot as you'll doubtless remember from the last International break of last season when you were arguing he was nowhere near good enough/ a fit for Utd and we had a debate over him. But that's just stupid money.
Said he wasn’t good enough attacking wise. And my preference has always been Meunier. James was allowed to travel to finalise his move while with Wales. Medicals can be done anywhere. Tbh I agree 50m is to much but if it’s who Ole wants then Woodward needs to back him like he has said he would. Can’t make the Jose mistakes again!

That's also the market, mate. Remember, Walker was 50 Mn about a couple of seasons ago. Which was insane then. Although, granted, he was further along than AwB. But AwB looks like he has a higher ceiling. It's all a gamble.

I'm still okay plonking down that money on a younger, upcoming talent with a point to prove, than an overpaid, beyond their prime shirt seller (and that has been Woodward's go-to signings in general)

That's also the market, mate. Remember, Walker was 50 Mn about a couple of seasons ago. Which was insane then. Although, granted, he was further along than AwB. But AwB looks like he has a higher ceiling. It's all a gamble.

I'm still okay plonking down that money on a younger, upcoming talent with a point to prove, than an overpaid, beyond their prime shirt seller (and that has been Woodward's go-to signings in general)

Is it? I don't know what the market is right now. A lot of big clubs are getting away from paying stupid money. PSG are following Madrid in getting away from the Galactico model by all accounts for one. Then you get clubs like Palace thinking they can cash in on someone like this after 1 season's worth of experience. The market's not set at all as far as I can see.

I appreciate you're in a massive very desperate situation without the lure of CL football and such an inexperienced manager at the helm but that would still be a crazy fee to pay and go against alll everyone is slamming Woodward for.

And ToD, I know what you said mate. You argued it made absolutely zero sense as you had Laird and he was projected to be far better than AWB, who was P poor going forward, the next few years.

So what gives now in the 3 months following that discussion?

Last edited:

2 big teams. Across the whole of the 5 big leagues.

United are still looking to offload Darmian, they are in talks with 3 clubs.

United need player ins more than outs. They, rightly, won't leave themselves short should any negotiations fail

Last edited:
Back