The Manchester United Thread

Is it? I don't know what the market is right now. A lot of big clubs are getting away from paying stupid money. PSG are following Madrid in getting away from the Galactico model by all accounts for one. Then you get clubs like Palace thinking they can cash in on someone like this after 1 season's worth of experience. The market's not set at all as far as I can see.

I appreciate you're in a massive very desperate situation without the lure of CL football and such an inexperienced manager at the helm but that would still be a crazy fee to pay and go against alll everyone is slamming Woodward for.

And ToD, I know what you said mate. You argued it made absolutely zero sense as you had Laird and he was projected to be far better than AWB, who was P poor going forward, the next few years.

So what gives now in the 3 months following that discussion?
Nothings changed thanks mate. Still think Laird will be better than AWB but only time will tell!

Is it? I don't know what the market is right now. A lot of big clubs are getting away from paying stupid money. PSG are following Madrid in getting away from the Galactico model by all accounts for one. Then you get clubs like Palace thinking they can cash in on someone like this after 1 season's worth of experience. The market's not set at all as far as I can see.

I appreciate you're in a massive very desperate situation without the lure of CL football and such an inexperienced manager at the helm but that would still be a crazy fee to pay and go against alll everyone is slamming Woodward for.

And ToD, I know what you said mate. You argued it made absolutely zero sense as you had Laird and he was projected to be far better than AWB, who was P poor going forward, the next few years.

People think it's like football manger, honestly. Even now, United are trying to make it incentive heavy, If he's an average player, it costs an average amount by good team standards, if he goes on to be brilliant, then they will get a hefty amount but he will earned it.
There's plenty one could criticise United for, but the handling of AWB is actually very good, ditto the handling of Pogba

But this is similar to the new RM model, isn't it? 60 Mn for Jovic after 1.5 good seasons. Rodrygo for 60Mn, when he has had one good season, and even that in Brazil (the hype around him is pretty high though, but then, it can be argued, it's the same for AwB). And paying similar amounts for Vinicius (which worked out, mind).

I don't know, the point is, paying inflated fees for youngsters has always been the norm, especially talented ones. And United has a history of doing this too (think Rooney and Ferdinand). Of course, I'm not saying every youngster we get will be as successful, there are way more failures than successes. But considering the current situation, it could be a gamble worth taking. You have to think he is an upgrade on both Dalot (at the moment) and Young definitely. But where that puts Dalot on the development scale is a whole other issue that I don't know the answer to.

I'm not slating Woodward for this, it's not an extremely obscene amount of money, especially if you factor in variables. My main worry with how Woodward deals things is the superstar signings (potential) and contract renewals (a la Rashford's supposed obscene demands).

People think it's like football manger, honestly. .....

It's a lot of years since I've had the time to sit down and play FM. But isn't that how most deals get done on there with the limited budgets? Heavily incentive based?

It's a lot of years since I've had the time to sit down and play FM. But isn't that how most deals get done on there with the limited budgets? Heavily incentive based?

Most people try to pay up front if they have any budget. But even so, it's not like you can often get all your business done in 3 days like i do in FM

Otherwise we'd be looking at an incredible United midfield :)

Naw, it's more based on monthly installments in the future. With some variables thrown in. Most clubs on FM don't accept a heavy incentivised deal.

Looking forward to Mctominey progression this season. Keeps getting better and better imo. No guff no fancy stuff. Does what the manager asks down to a T and has a great head on his shoulders.

Yeah Scotty has won me over. Thought he was bang average for a long time, but his simplistic, efficient approach & general all round work rate is impressive. Can easily be our Fletcher for years to come if he continues to progress.

Big **** approach to Pogba's transfer doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Doesn't Woodward overestimate how much inches he actually has?

This isn't like Ronaldo's transfer to Madrid, when United was knocking the door of CL final every year. Europa League club just can't hold player of Pogba's stature against his will, and if it tries they'll end up looking the bad guys.

Source close to Issa Diop says West Ham would sell him for £60m. Manchester United, PSG and Barcelona have contacted his representatives. West Ham want a Manchester United player as part of a potential deal. United not willing to give West Ham the player they want.

Wonder who they want?

I like Diop think he's decent but he solves literally nothing we don't already have imo. Rather just play Tuanzebe if I'm honest and even that I'm not all that confident about as a solution. But sooner give him the game time and see him develop.

Big **** approach to Pogba's transfer doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Doesn't Woodward overestimate how much inches he actually has?

This isn't like Ronaldo's transfer to Madrid, when United was knocking the door of CL final every year. Europa League club just can't hold player of Pogba's stature against his will, and if it tries they'll end up looking the bad guys.

Actually, they ******* can. Competition is irrelevant, United have the money to carry with their business without selling him. He's got a contract for another three years. A fair price has been set. Match it or **** off.

I mean, unless you're trolling, this is a complete nonsense of a post. As long as they aren't seeing him to the reserves, they can do whatever the **** they like. And it's working, neither Madrid or Juve are pushing. Perez isn't even a fan. PSG are however willing to pay. So the market has been set.

Yeah Scotty has won me over. Thought he was bang average for a long time, but his simplistic, efficient approach & general all round work rate is impressive. Can easily be our Fletcher for years to come if he continues to progress.

I honestly thought he was bang average, but he's a very tidy efficient player. Excellent squad player who keeps improving, especially his technique

I like Diop think he's decent but he solves literally nothing we don't already have imo. Rather just play Tuanzebe if I'm honest and even that I'm not all that confident about as a solution. But sooner give him the game time and see him develop.

He's a better defender than everyone bar Lindelof. Physically dominant, reads the game well, rarely beaten but also doesn't give away many fouls. He csn actually pass, unlike every defender except Lindelof. He's what Smalling would be if he had a brain, but much younger and can get much better. I see the attraction tbh if you can't get Koulibaly or De Ligt, better option than Maguire imo.

Be interesting to see how he does on his France call up. Looks a talent for sure and way ahead of Tuanzebe in terms of development.

Be interesting to see how he does on his France call up. Looks a talent for sure and way ahead of Tuanzebe in terms of development.

Yeah but it's sad when you see prospect like Tuanzebe practically left out to dry, same can be said for Laird if AWB comes. Yes I know both are not ready necessarily but when you sign these types of players in that age range, it's pretty clear that they will struggle big time to get a starting spot over everyone ahead of them in the future. That's why I always preferred Munier as a RB choice as it solved the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's sad when you see prospect like Tuanzebe practically left out to dry, same can be said for Laird if AWB comes. Yes I know both are not ready necessarily but when you sign these types of players in that age range, it's pretty clear that they will struggle big time to get a starting spot over everyone ahead of them in the future.

Eh? Tuanzebe is going to be at villa for another year. So developing nicely. He wouldn't play if he was at United If he's good enough he'll break through.

Ditto Laird who is currently absolutely not good enough to be second choice full back.

Saying they've been left out to dry is nonsense. And you can't have it both ways if you want to strengthen from top to bottom and that includes the players below the first team.

There's no bigger picture to solve. There's no guarantee Laird is going make it. There's not guarantee even Dalot is going to be good enough. Or even stay as a full back. So if we see someone who can nail down that position for 5-6 years we should take it. Even AWB has work to do.

Back