The Manchester United Thread

I reckon if he has a faltering start to the season he’s gone. None of that “it’s only 10 games” excuse as it’ll been seen as a continuation of last season. Wouldn’t shock me if he’s gone by October so he’s on a very short
Yeah agree and rightly so. Hopefully we have a season similar to his 1st then build from there.

I reckon if he has a faltering start to the season he’s gone. None of that “it’s only 10 games” excuse as it’ll been seen as a continuation of last season. Wouldn’t shock me if he’s gone by October so he’s on a very short leash

That would be even dumber than them S out of doing what they wanted before the Cup final and binning him.

They aren't shelling out for new staff members he specifically wants, and new players he still has the final vito on this summer, to then bin him mid-season. INEOS have handled most of their early tenure really poorly, but Ratcliffe is a business man and kicking in the extension makes perfect business sense for at least a year. After they bungled keeping him that bad, there was no way they were gonna' get talks done before the season started on an extension. So triggering the extension gives all sides breathing room to see how year three plays out.

He won't be gone through this season or this is utterly F'ed more than usual under the Glazers.

Just on that women’s news on the training facilities. That’s Ashworths work there for sure.

Also apparently he’s had the biggest say on ETH staying according to Andy Mitten on talk of the devils.

Right now the main structure is in place above the manager and with his coaching staff ( still expect more changes in regard to fitness, physio, Scouting, Data staff ) it’s time to look at this mess of a squad.

Players already left:

LB Alvaro Fernandez 6m Benfica
AM Omari Forson, CB Raphael Varane, RB Brandon Williams, STR Anthony Martial.

Currently in talks with extending CB Jonny Evans, LW Shola Shortire.

Already signed an extension GK ToM Heaton.

Guaranteed to stay imo:

GKs Onana, Bendir, Heaton
RB Dalot
LB Shaw, Malacia
CB Martinez, Kambwala
CM Mount, Mainoo, Fernandes
LRW Garnacho, Amad, Antony, Rashford
STR Højlund

Possibly leaving:

RB AWB
CBs Maguire
CMs Amarabat, McTominey, Gore, Hannibal, Eriksen
LWR Pellistri
STR Hugill

Defo leaving:

CB Linderlof
CM Casemiro, Donny
LRW Sancho
STR Greenwood

Potential ins so far:

CB De Ligt
CM Urgarte
STR Zirkzee

They aren't shelling out for new staff members he specifically wants, and new players he still has the final vito on this summer, to then bin him mid-season.
His new assistants who also happen to have managerial experience (impressive ones at that). Can’t be a mere coincidence considering Ten Hag fought tooth and nail to keep Mitchell Van Der Gaag from joining Ajax earlier. To let him go this easily seems rather suspicious to me at least.
INEOS have handled most of their early tenure really poorly, but Ratcliffe is a business man and kicking in the extension makes perfect business sense for at least a year. After they bungled keeping him that bad, there was no way they were gonna' get talks done before the season started on an extension. So triggering the extension gives all sides breathing room to see how year three plays out.

He won't be gone through this season or this is utterly F'ed more than usual under the Glazers.
The glazers gave Jose Mourinho & Solkjaer new contracts (not extensions, new contracts) and fired both months afterwards…highly doubt firing Ten Hag mid season would top that. That said, the extension definitely gives both parties breathing room. It gives INEOS more time to assess if Ten Hag is truly fit for the job. Idk much about their managerial preferences but I bet you if their preferred choice becomes available and Ten Hag continues on from last season, they won’t hesitate to pull the trigger

CB De Ligt
CM Urgarte
STR Zirkzee
De Ligt is a target I’m not 100% sold on and I can’t quite put my finger on why. He’s got all the makings and attributes to make a fine center half (not to mention a leader as well) but I do feel he’s still carrying that “prospect CB” aura about him since his Ajax days and he’s 24. Not to mention I don’t think he’ll be a good fit with Martinez (both are stopper types that like to get stuck in). Lastly, his injury record.

What do you all think? I wouldn’t mind him on reasonable wages and <£40 million

“Everyone knows Alex Ferguson and I had our differences, believe me. But the fella managed one of the biggest clubs in the world, from daily training, signing players to youth development. He ran the club top to bottom for 26 years, doing everything with huge success, so when I heard Klopp was tired after coaching some players for 9 years of relative mediocrity, with only one league title in that time, I thought give me a break. Tired? Really? Come off it man. He has endless staff, directors of football and all that malarkey. Players and managers have it cushy these days and have no rights to complain, especially about being tired.”

View attachment 680959
I do not usually agree with Keane, but he is onto something. While at Liverpool, Klopp won 8 throphies. United in the same period won 5 (United did not win CL, WCC or PL) and that is seen unbelivable achivement, while United is often seen as failure. United finished above Liverpool in 4 of those 9 seasons, while having some of the worst results since relegation. Just shows how big United is compared to any other club not named Real Madrid. Expecations are sky high and unless you win, and even then, they look at them as 'could've done more'.

But there's a reason Sir Alex is the best ever. Not everyone can live football like he did. Klopp should never be compared with someone like Sir Alex, or even Wenger.
This is not some critisism on Klopp, he's having amazing career, still young and most important is, not everyone is the same.

De Ligt is a target I’m not 100% sold on and I can’t quite put my finger on why. He’s got all the makings and attributes to make a fine center half (not to mention a leader as well) but I do feel he’s still carrying that “prospect CB” aura about him since his Ajax days and he’s 24. Not to mention I don’t think he’ll be a good fit with Martinez (both are stopper types that like to get stuck in). Lastly, his injury record.

What do you all think? I wouldn’t mind him on reasonable wages and <£40 million
Cosidering de Ligt is behind van Dijk, who's way behind his prime, and de Vrij, who's playing on one leg - not to metion Bayern are rather easily letting hime go, is red flag for me.

His new assistants who also happen to have managerial experience (impressive ones at that). Can’t be a mere coincidence considering Ten Hag fought tooth and nail to keep Mitchell Van Der Gaag from joining Ajax earlier. To let him go this easily seems rather suspicious to me at least.

The glazers gave Jose Mourinho & Solkjaer new contracts (not extensions, new contracts) and fired both months afterwards…highly doubt firing Ten Hag mid season would top that. That said, the extension definitely gives both parties breathing room. It gives INEOS more time to assess if Ten Hag is truly fit for the job. Idk much about their managerial preferences but I bet you if their preferred choice becomes available and Ten Hag continues on from last season, they won’t hesitate to pull the trigger
I had to rethink this as looked at the assistant coach point from a different angle: they might just be trying to give Ten Hag the best environment possible to succeed. Still TBD on recruitment but if that aspect goes well (big IF) then you can’t say Ten Hag wasn’t setup to succeed.

Cosidering de Ligt is behind van Dijk, who's way behind his prime, and de Vrij, who's playing on one leg - not to metion Bayern are rather easily letting hime go, is red flag for me.
At a loss and on £200k a week. For the fee he’s seemingly going for, not sure why more clubs aren’t in for him considering his reputation.

Van De Gaag isn’t leaving apparently. It’s Benny McCarthy that’s leaving end of this month. As for the other 2 coaches I don’t think it’s as you say mate. It was reported that there would be changes before talk of ETH review/possible sacking and both have worked under/with ETH so it’s understandable he’s pushed hard for these. And Ruud said himself he didn’t want to go back into management as it was to much for him atm not that long ago.

At anything around £40m De Ligt will be an absolute steal. And he’s honing to be taking a reduced wage if Di Marzio, Plettigoal and Ramano are to be believed.

Bayern are only looking to sell as Kompany doesn’t want him and is looking to bring his own 2 CBs on and said to the hierarchy he can be sold. Which hasn’t gone down well at and the Bayern supports group have started a huge petition online about it.

As for him being so called injury prone he’s missed about 68 games since 2015. 17 of those were at Juve due to a freak shoulder injury after landing funny from a corner challenge. The other one was 12 matches when he did his knee ligaments. The rest are all odd injuries for knocks, covid, other viruses etc. It’s also the only reason he’s behind De Vrij tournament. The managers been a right *** in taking him similar to Southgate and Shaw.

Him and Martinez would be fantastic. I wouldn’t call either of them stopper. Both are great at ball playing and bringing it out. De Ligt is not slow like people make out he matched Mbappe and Vini JNR for pace. And De Ligt would replace Varane areal ability.

René Hake: "The feeling is indescribable. This is a great opportunity. To work in the biggest league in the world, in one of the biggest clubs in the world United. It's a wonderful reward for me.

René Hake: "Of course, I am grateful to Erik [ten Hag] for this opportunity. Erik has a role for me, we have discussed it. As in any staff, all tasks will be distributed among the assistants." #MUFC

Bayern are only looking to sell as Kompany doesn’t want him and is looking to bring his own 2 CBs on and said to the hierarchy he can be sold.
It’s funny how he picks on De Ligt as the odd man out and not Eric Dier. Quite damning if he rates Dier ahead of him
Him and Martinez would be fantastic. I wouldn’t call either of them stopper. Both are great at ball playing and bringing it out. De Ligt is not slow like people make out he matched Mbappe and Vini JNR for pace. And De Ligt would replace Varane areal ability.
but wouldn’t replace the calming presence Varane brought. When I say stopper, I mean the tendency to leave the line get stuck in. Martinez loves doing this while Varane is pretty stand off-ish and looks to sweep/mop up if need be. In a way, he complimented Martinez.

De ligt on the other hand also likes to get stuck in and often dives into tackles (some of which he mistimed) so there’s always this danger that he gives away the occasional pen.

Leny Yoro would’ve been the perfect partner for him but I don’t see him choosing us over Real Madrid.

De Ligt for around £40m would be a great deal. What worries me is that he is a really passive defender that doens't engage in physical duels often.

He's not a natural fit for Lisandro, who's very passive defender himself.

I'd like us to try Murillo.

Official: UEFA have approved #mufc and Nice to compete in the Europa League following the implementation of "significant changes by the concerned investors" in Nice to show no one has "control or decisive influence" over both teams

Official: UEFA confirm #mufc and Nice are not allowed to "transfer players to each other, whether permanently or on loan, directly or indirectly, from July 2024 until September 2025, with the exception of pre-existing transfer agreements" before ownership issues are investigated