The Manchester United Thread

Giggs to address the press on Friday at 2pm.

Don't necessarily want van Gaal but he's a winner and he's better than Moyes. He has pedigree and will separate the men from the boys. Suppose that is what we need. Short term only hopefully.

Wonder what the new manager's contract length will be...

Don't necessarily want van Gaal but he's a winner and he's better than Moyes. He has pedigree and will separate the men from the boys. Suppose that is what we need. Short term only hopefully.

Not to mention we might see some kind of solid tactics.... that's how poor Moyes was.

I don't think that should be the criteria we're aiming for.

I don't think that should be the criteria we're aiming for.

Not solely, but surely it has to be something? That isn't what I was insinuating anyway, just that he'll be an instant improvement if he comes in.

Of course I want Klopp, like everyone, but as long as we actually hold interviews etc this time I trust the club to make the right decision.

Saw someone post yesterday that although Diego Simeone is a contender, that his style of managing could prove to be very controversial at a "top level club" and that "players would revolt in an instant". Interesting thoughts IMO.

TIMELINE OF MOYES'S TENURE AT OLD TRAFFORD
September 1 - United suffer first defeat under Moyes as Daniel Sturridge gives Liverpool victory at Anfield. Wayne Rooney misses the game with a nasty head wound after being kicked in the head accidentally by Phil Jones in training.
September 22 - Hammered 4-1 at Manchester City. This time Robin van Persie is absent with a thigh injury.
September 28 - United lose 2-1 at home to West Brom, ending the Baggies' 35-year wait for an Old Trafford triumph.
October 19 - Concede last-minute Adam Lallana equaliser against Southampton at Old Trafford.
December 4 - Bryan Oviedo scores four minutes from time as Moyes' former club Everton end their 21-year wait for an away win over United.
December 6 - Rio Ferdinand criticises Moyes' policy of leaving it late to pick his teams, claiming on BT Sport: "It turns you into a madman."
December 7 - Yohan Cabaye gets the only goal as Newcastle win at Old Trafford for the first time since 1972.
December 10 - Van Persie suffers thigh injury taking a corner against Shakhtar Donetsk, and is ruled out for seven weeks.
January 1 - Rooney plays in the defeat by Tottenham but is then ruled out for four weeks with a groin injury.
January 5 - Swansea win at Old Trafford for the first time as Wilfried Bony's late goal sends United out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage for only the second time in 30 years.
January 7 - Defeat in Capital One Cup semi-final first leg at Sunderland means a third straight loss for the first time since May 2001.
January 19 - Skipper Nemanja Vidic is sent off as United crash to defeat at Chelsea.
January 22 - United beat Sunderland 2-1 in the Capital One Cup semi-final return leg thanks to Javier Hernandez's last-gasp effort in extra-time but come off worst in an awful penalty shoot-out, with only Darren Fletcher scoring from their five kicks.
February 1 - Stoke end their long wait for a win against United. Charlie Adam's double gives them their first since 1984.
February 7 - Vidic confirms he will leave at the end of the season.
February 9 - United come from behind to lead bottom side Fulham at Old Trafford, but Darren Bent's stoppage-time equaliser settles a 2-2 draw to deny the hosts all three points. Moyes describes the result as being "as bad as it gets".
February 25 - It proves gruesome in Greece for United in the Champions League last 16 as a poor performance sees the Red Devils beaten 2-0 by Olympiacos in Piraeus.
March 16 - Another day United will want to forget in a hurry as two Steven Gerrard penalties and a Luis Suarez strike earns Liverpool a crushing 3-0 win at Old Trafford. It could have been even worse for Moyes' men as Gerrard also hit the post with another penalty.
March 25 - United lose 3-0 to bitter rivals for the second consecutive home league game as a brace from Edin Dzeko and a late strike from Yaya Toure hands Manchester City a derby double over their city rivals. The result ensured United were guaranteed to end the season with their lowest points total in Premier League history.
April 9 - Despite an encouraging 1-1 draw in the first leg and taking the lead through Patrice Evra, the Red Devils go down 3-1 to defending champions Bayern Munich in the second leg of their Champions League quarter-final at the Allianz Arena.
April 20 - Moyes' return to Goodison Park is turned into a nightmare as a Leighton Baines penalty and a goal from Kevin Mirallas hand Everton a 2-0 win, a result which means United cannot qualify for the Champions League.
April 22 - Moyes is sacked by United.

Not solely, but surely it has to be something? That isn't what I was insinuating anyway, just that he'll be an instant improvement if he comes in.

Of course I want Klopp, like everyone, but as long as we actually hold interviews etc this time I trust the club to make the right decision.

Saw someone post yesterday that although Diego Simeone is a contender, that his style of managing could prove to be very controversial at a "top level club" and that "players would revolt in an instant". Interesting thoughts IMO.

I think van Gaal is perfect for the medium term, hopefully with Giggs staying involved to take charge in a few years. Maybe i'm just being romantic and would love to see the likes of Giggs and Scholes in charge one day.

I know what you mean. Maybe get him doing a Guardiola and working with the youth team as boss and promote him from within when the time is right.

I get the links with van Gaal, but I'm not a massive fan of his.

He's also quite strict on using the 433 formation, so not sure where that leaves a lot of our stars.

Please not van Gaal. This is too cliched. Just get someone under 50yo and proven. Klopp and Simeone are all good but they'll probably not gonna happen. (My dream choice is obviously Guardiola but I know how impossible it is.) But just work hard, offer worlds. Get someone, anyone, proper. This thing will happen over and over again unless you act insightfully and visionary.

He's also quite strict on using the 433 formation, so not sure where that leaves a lot of our stars.

Where did you hear that?

"A system depends on the players you have. I played 4-3-3 with Ajax, 2-3-2-3 with Barcelona and a 4-4-2 with AZ. I'm flexible. The philosophy stays the same though. I don't think that you can adapt it to every possible situation. You need the right mindset, and it depends on how the players see the coach and vice versa. The coach is the focal point of the team but you need to have an open mind, and so do all the players. Everyone needs to work together to achieve a common goal." - van Gaal.

He's Dutch too, so he has the arrogance to not be over awed by the job. It'd probably make RVP stay too.

Where did you hear that?

"A system depends on the players you have. I played 4-3-3 with Ajax, 2-3-2-3 with Barcelona and a 4-4-2 with AZ. I'm flexible. The philosophy stays the same though. I don't think that you can adapt it to every possible situation. You need the right mindset, and it depends on how the players see the coach and vice versa. The coach is the focal point of the team but you need to have an open mind, and so do all the players. Everyone needs to work together to achieve a common goal." - van Gaal.

He's Dutch too, so he has the arrogance to not be over awed by the job. It'd probably make RVP stay too.

Something I'd heard quite a lot from a lot of different people. Hadn't seen that quote before though so hopefully he can adapt to fit in all our best players.

Where did you hear that?

Pretty sure he played 4-2-3-1 with Bayern.

LVG is actually insane, and flops his **** at his players to motivate them. Success or no, it'll be entertaining.

Back