The Manchester United Thread

Would love Thiago even despite his age. Still absolute quality and would replace Matic for most games. Wages and his desire to want to be here would be my only concerns.
Thiago Alcantara? He's no DM. He would be Pogbas replacement.

Poor Dimani Mellor torn his ACL in training. Shame showed some good development and promise last season up top.

They wouldn't have to offload one to bring one in. And it's grasping and then some to think he wouldn't be happy just to be a part of that group under Klopp knowing that he'd have a good decade or more to himself when one of them moves on in a few years.
I doubt he would. It would work if he was a starter at a lower club, making a big step-up to Liverpool. He isn't, he is already at a big club, and while he will be moving to a bigger club and Klopp, still probably wouldn't be enough to convince him unless he is given a starting role. Especially since he is still developing. IT is unlikely, unless he is guaranteed a pathway next season, maybe then.

..... I wouldn't say Sancho is off the table yet but it seems like the accountant is reluctant to sheep out the €120 million asking price. It might be better to move onto other alternatives. I brought up Leon Bailey but seems like folks on here weren't very receptive to that.

FWIW, and I personally put very little stock in hardly any of the gobshites in the media who think they know what's going on, this went up from a GOAL journo earlier-

Wouldn't want him at all personally after the way he **** all over Dortmund and forced his move, regardless of how talented he is. But with Barca set for a big fire sale toward the end of the window, he might well be a lot cheaper option than the mad amount they paid for some club this window. Heck of a talent when he's fit like.

I doubt he would. It would work if he was a starter at a lower club, making a big step-up to Liverpool. He isn't, he is already at a big club, and while he will be moving to a bigger club and Klopp, still probably wouldn't be enough to convince him unless he is given a starting role. Especially since he is still developing. IT is unlikely, unless he is guaranteed a pathway next season, maybe then.

I think you'd be very surprised mate given the way he openly feels about Klopp. But hey, if that was the case, I and more so the manager wouldn't want him.
At all.

A player that's not a team player and wants to come in demanding a starting role that has to be earned isn't the type of character you want to bring into your changies.

I can only think of one player that supersedes that and has that legit right. And he's never leaving Barcelona for anyone.

I think you'd be very surprised mate given the way he openly feels about Klopp. But hey, if that was the case, I and more so the manager wouldn't want him.
At all.

A player that's not a team player and wants to come in demanding a starting role that has to be earned isn't the type of character you want to bring into your changies.

I can only think of one player that supersedes that and has that legit right. And he's never leaving Barcelona for anyone.

Yanno, when you think about it, which I wasn't going to do as it's not an option for this window, Sancho would have gotten his high percentage of minutes next year anyway had this been a normal scenario and we'd been in for him.

The only reason the one area of our side, the arguably best collective three in World football, doesn't change is that's the one area of the team we don't have quality depth. God love his boss attitude, but when the bang mediocre Origi comes in for any of them, the drop off is immense. I think you'll see less of that next year the more up to speed Minamino gets to split time with Bobby. But right now, there's nobody on their level. Sancho, if the lesser Bundesliga form isn't an abnormality, would give you a top-class player on a similar level where the drop-off would be negligible and being as he could play any of the front three roles, he'd get as high percentage of minutes as any of them once he'd earned that.

But again, being happy to be a part of that team success and having the ego to demand you're better than anyone else and should be a first choice regardless are two different things again and it would go TOTALLY against the whole ethos Klopp has worked so tirelessly to instil within the club to bring a character like that into the changies.

Yanno, when you think about it, which I wasn't going to do as it's not an option for this window, Sancho would have gotten his high percentage of minutes next year anyway had this been a normal scenario and we'd been in for him.

The only reason the one area of our side, the arguably best collective three in World football, doesn't change is that's the one area of the team we don't have quality depth. God love his boss attitude, but when the bang mediocre Origi comes in for any of them, the drop off is immense. I think you'll see less of that next year the more up to speed Minamino gets to split time with Bobby. But right now, there's nobody on their level. Sancho, if the lesser Bundesliga form isn't an abnormality, would give you a top-class player on a similar level where the drop-off would be negligible and being as he could play any of the front three roles, he'd get as high percentage of minutes as any of them once he'd earned that.

But again, being happy to be a part of that team success and having the ego to demand you're better than anyone else and should be a first choice regardless are two different things again and it would go TOTALLY against the whole ethos Klopp has worked so tirelessly to instil within the club to bring a character like that into the changies.
Hm, depends. I still doubt it. If the offer varies between a squad player at Liverpool and an almost guaranteed starter elsewhere (at a high level) more often than not, you would take the starter role. But then again, that's my thinking, and pointless thinking about it now.

Either ways, for what its worth, would any day go for Sancho over Dembele (despite his probable cheap clause). Dembele's injuries and supposed attitude towards training etc means he is definitely a no-go. Highly stupid if we are considering Dembele, considering the character Ole is trying to instill in the squad. ****, the only players I want at United from Barca would be Arthur or de Jong (Arthur is gone to Juve, and they definitely won't sell de Jong if they have even one iota of sense). Ignoring ter Stegen/Messi of course, but yeah, definitely no Dembele.

For what it’s worth. Ornstein, Ramano, Falk, Fjortoft, Stone, Hirst and Harris have all said on separate and joint podcasts in the last hour that Sancho wants the move and the deal is definately not off. The only thing annoying Utd is the 3rd party agent Dortmund have decided to use. Which they didn’t for the Kagawa or Mhki deals. Relationships are still good between clubs as unofficial talks continue through the agent. Just wait and see I guess.

I wouldn't touch Dembele either mate personally.

Aside from him being made of glass and having a LONG list of questionable attitude issues as you alluded to, the way he literally walked out of Dortmund and jumped on a plane to Barcelona to force a move was beyond a disgrace. Sidenote- That's the one Zorc's hand was forced. With Lewandowski and Aubameyang he got them to give that final year before they left as appears to be the trade-off here with Sancho.

But you just know, because of his undeniable talent, some club will be all over him if the late window fire sale happens as it appears at Barcelona.

Last edited:
Doubt it. He’s been sensational at DM for Bayern this season. He’s a Carrick/dictator in that role not a Matic type destroyer.
Ok, he sprays passes from there, but when defending, he's not playing as DM, Kimmich is. Thiago is wonderful orchestrator and he can do that from anywhere. Doesn't Pogba do similar things for United? Bringing the ball forward when attacking and letting Matic sit deeper when defending?

I wouldn't touch Dembele either mate personally.

Aside from him being made of glass and having a LONG list of questionable attitude issues as you alluded to, the way he literally walked out of Dortmund and jumped on a plane to Barcelona to force a move was beyond a disgrace. Sidenote- That's the one Zorc's hand was forced. With Lewandowski and Aubameyang he got them to give that final year before they left as appears to be the trade-off here with Sancho.

But you just know, because of his undeniable talent, some club will be all over him if the late window fire sale happens as it appears at Barcelona.

I agree, he might get injured ?

Ok, he sprays passes from there, but when defending, he's not playing as DM, Kimmich is. Thiago is wonderful orchestrator and he can do that from anywhere. Doesn't Pogba do similar things for United? Bringing the ball forward when attacking and letting Matic sit deeper when defending?

The difference between Thiago and Pogba is he's more consistent plus he's the better press resistant player. Against a high pressing team, I'd play Thiago 10 times out of 10 over Pogba. I can't count how many times Pogba has gotten dispossessed in his own half for dallying on the ball for too long.

With Thiago, you get a player who has the guile and technical ability to beat a good press. I watched him alot at Bayern last season and he is soo good with his back to goal when pressed.

Just a personal opinion which may sound strange as I don't really want him, but you could make a genuine case for Thiago being the best midfielder on the planet.

Someone is going to get an absolute all-time bargain for him to probably move for £30 million, or less, this window.

*Edit* And forget the age being an issue. 29 is nothing. You're getting at least your full money's worth of a contract at the very highest level out of him. Aesthetically wonderful, super-intelligent footballer.

Last edited:
Just a personal opinion which may sound strange as I don't really want him, but you could make a genuine case for Thiago being the best midfielder on the planet.

Someone is going to get an absolute all-time bargain for him to probably move for £30 million, or less, this window.
like i said yesterday if we had your guy doing in and out we would have who we want by now not the clown that is edd

The difference between Thiago and Pogba is he's more consistent plus he's the better press resistant player. Against a high pressing team, I'd play Thiago 10 times out of 10 over Pogba. I can't count how many times Pogba has gotten dispossessed in his own half for dallying on the ball for too long.

With Thiago, you get a player who has the guile and technical ability to beat a good press. I watched him alot at Bayern last season and he is soo good with his back to goal when pressed.
Thats all nice buddy, I was never talking about who's better, but still my question is - doesn't he fill the same role for Bayern as Pogba is for United?

Thats all nice buddy, I was never talking about who's better, but still my question is - doesn't he fill the same role for Bayern as Pogba is for United?

He can play as a 6, 8 or 10. As a 6, he'd be more of a Carrick-esque DM and he isn't a bad tackler (I think bye averages 2.8 tackles per game in the Bundesliga).

*Edit* And forget the age being an issue. 29 is nothing. You're getting at least your full money's worth of a contract at the very highest level out of him. Aesthetically wonderful, super-intelligent footballer.
Thiago is very, very good. Always bitter-sweet for me, mind. We almost had him, if not for Moyes turning him down, and then resorting to Fellaini. Even Thiago was baffled at that, before opting to go to Bayern. God, I hate Moyes. It took him about 8 months to completely ruin the club (or start it on the path to the same).

But for all of Thiago, just look at Frenkie de Jong. I'm a huge fan of the guy. Like Thiago, the guy can do everything. DM, CM and ACM. And he is extremely good at carrying the ball out of midfield, he is a proper all-round midfielder. Albeit, he is asked to temper his attacking and movement instincts basis how Barca play and revolve their game around Messi, but he is an insane talent, for sure.

Well, honestly, in terms of pure vision and creativity on the ball, Pogba over Thiago. But in terms of all round game and the ability to keep the ball ticking, Thiago any day. Compare it to a Xavi and Iniesta combination. You can technically play both of them together in the same team, with Pogba being the more dynamic midfielder forging ahead, while Thiago pings the ball and keeps circulating passes. Of course, also necessitates that you need a Biscuits behind them to bring out the best of both of them, so yeah//