The Manchester United Thread

Bruno is different gravy, comes back from a penalty miss with a goal to get us on our way to 3 points.

Thought Pogba was meh when he came on, was more impressed with VdB.
I absolutely love his mentality. Which we had more players like that.

I absolutely love his mentality. Which we had more players like that.
Tbh that’s most probably the biggest thing Ole has brought to the team that change in mentality in the players. I see a lot of players with excellent mentality in our team Bruno just has that absolute top class ability to go with it. I really don’t worry about the mentality of most of our players. That’s why I knew we would get a reaction again after a bad result.

Much needed result but largely sh1te stuff again on the pitch. Of course we were allowed to get the shot count up against a post-Rafa Benitez/current Steve Bruce side 1-0 up; don't let that fool ya. Mata was splendid though. Seeing a silky creator dictate between the lines like that (what we've missed in every other game) just further p1sses me off that we didn't get Sancho, as Mata isn't capable of doing that 2x times a week

Much needed result but largely sh1te stuff again on the pitch. Of course we were allowed to get the shot count up against a post-Rafa Benitez/current Steve Bruce side 1-0 up; don't let that fool ya. Mata was splendid though. Seeing a silky creator dictate between the lines like that (what we've missed in every other game) just further p1sses me off that we didn't get Sancho, as Mata isn't capable of doing that 2x times a week
Oh cmon now, I think you're being overly negative. Probably even moreso than Zz. We played waaaay better than I've seen us play so far this season. Dominated from minute 2 and we're unlucky with a few heroic GK saves.

Oh cmon now, I think you're being overly negative. Probably even moreso than Zz. We played waaaay better than I've seen us play so far this season. Dominated from minute 2 and we're unlucky with a few heroic GK saves.
Yeah we played well I think also. Ok you can say it’s Newcastle but they were in good form and could of gone second. We played much quicker with less touches and quicker passing. Our press and midfield control was better without Pogba. And thought the attacking players linked up well for most parts.

Don’t really see how any can grumble after that unless your one of the ones who wanted us to lose just to stick it to Ole and get him the sack??‍♂️

My only complaints are James is final decision making. Got in good area tonight just the final thing let him down. And I hate seeing Linderlof starting. Much needed boost anyways before PSG. Will be good to have Martial, Cavani, Pellistri, Telles more ready. Hopefully Greenwood back.

For me Fred and McTominey have to start again.

C'mon man, nothing I said was overly negative. Just ignoring the late wave of goals and calling it how I see it.

We had some nice combinations and moves vs. a team that happily conceded territory (albeit should've done better at it) and through the sheer brilliance of a profile we so desperately lack and need in the team; a creative ticker between the lines. (see my post below, it was further vindicated tonight when Mata added what we haven't seen at all this season). Mata was exquisite.

Doubt we're in for an out&out AM. Sancho kills multiple birds with one stone; creates between the lines. Concept of fixed positions is becoming less & less a thing, it's more about profiles and the ability to fluidly interchange. What United lack at the moment is someone who creates between the lines in a more methodical way to Bruno, who's supremely direct and aggressive as well as Rashford. Someone who dribbles, can play low tempo 1-2's, but still a threat in transition -- and be comfortable doing all of this in wide zones. But Sancho is similar to Messi in the sense he roams and demands the ball anywhere between the lines. On a related note, good to see AWB adding more confidence to his game going past opposite numbers. He'll need to do that a lot.

So, Sancho & Grealish are the obvious fits, in order of preference. Sancho preferred because he can play right across the line & simply a higher quality player. Get him in, pray Pogba takes to a deeper 8 position as he does for France then we can definitely close the gap between ourselves, Lfc & City. Chelsea on a similar path, mind you.

---- Take Mata back out of it and you can see everyone around them lack controlled invention; they all want space or play very aggressively. It's why we came up short against these type of teams and it's why we'll continue to unless we add a silky profile to that front 4. Hopefully van Beek can add some more controlled, creative guile.

But do take the win and label me negative Joe :) Or ZZ x2, as you prefer!

Would start this against PSG

DDG
AWB-Bailly-Maguire-Telles/Shaw?
McTominey-Fred
Mata-Bruno-Rashford
Martial

Yeah we played well I think also. Ok you can say it’s Newcastle but they were in good form and could of gone second. We played much quicker with less touches and quicker passing. Our press and midfield control was better without Pogba. And thought the attacking players linked up well for most parts.

Don’t really see how any can grumble after that unless your one of the ones who wanted us to lose just to stick it to Ole and get him the sack??‍♂️

My only complaints are James is final decision making. Got in good area tonight just the final thing let him down. And I hate seeing Linderlof starting. Much needed boost anyways before PSG. Will be good to have Martial, Cavani, Pellistri, Telles more ready. Hopefully Greenwood back.

For me Fred and McTominey have to start again.

McTominay & Fred were quite good tonight and I'd consider starting them vs PSG because they're good in big games, but I definitely don't want to see them vs low blocks this season at all. It'd be last seasons ball-progressing issues all over again.

Ole needs to stop playing Pogba at RCM. Doesn't suit him at all. Makes him too easy to press and he hasn't got the same passing angles he specializes from off the left. Put McTominay or Fred to the right of him like Kanté for France. Looked so much more comfortable tonight coming on to Fred's LCM role

Depends how Ole wants to play it I guess. If he wants to play counter like last season the James is likely a better bet than Mata. If he wants to trying playing against PSG then it has to be Mata.

It's PSG, we won't be dominating possession, most likely counter. So, I would expect James to start. Plus, Mata is old, doubt he can do it 2 games a week. I don't think our midfield duo will be the same though - Pogba was rested today, no way he doesn't start against PSG. I would really like to see van de Beek start though.

Onto the match, it was a very good display, honestly. I mean, we dominated chances and didn't let up. I was dreading it when Pogba came on, but he was surprisingly decent, winning a couple of interceptions and keeping play ticking in general. It was good, now onto PSG.

From a PSG fan on there forum

Paredes out, Verratti probably out, Marquinhos could be able to play but very unlikely

Possible team :
Navas
Florenzi-Kehrer-Kimpembe-Bakker
Rafinha-Gueye-Herrera
Di Maria-Mbappé-Neymar

Just finishing watching the match again, we really did play some good football for most of the match. 3 main take always for me Fitness, Tempo in our play with lots of 1/2 touch passing, and the press from our CM 3.

Looking at that PSG team I posted above it’s not really any great shakes if you ask me. Obviously the front 3 are all top class but often fail to live up to it in the big games. As for the rest I actually rate our players better well except maybe for 1 CB but even then I don’t see much in Keher and Linderlof.

PSG are good but we shouldn’t give any team with Gueye in midfield too much respect. Plus I don’t really rate their defence either.

PSG are good but we shouldn’t give any team with Gueye in midfield too much respect. Plus I don’t really rate their defence either.
You would wish player like Gueye to protect your midfield and defenders. I think he was leading or top in interceptions and tackles in PL + running a lot.
He did his job good at Everton, just it was inept Everton that was surrounding him.

Yeah Gueye isn’t even the player he was at Everton from what I’ve seen at PSG. Rafhina has never lived up to the massive hype he had just because he was from the Le Masia academy. Supposedly was gonna be Thiago long term replacement lol.

If and it’s a big if. We can keep it together at the back then we can come away with something there. Maybe why Matic was rested to give extra protection for our defence.

Interesting stat from yesterday game. The first time in the clubs history we have won 6 in a row away from home by 2gls or more.