The Manchester United Thread

1635097840095.png

And United played in reverse. If both teams play at their peek, it wouldn't be like this. However, its not going to happen unless United get someone who can match Klopp.
Or someone decent for starters that has the balls to drop Ronaldo

Via Reddit:

Maguire

Maguire: "I will be looking at my individual performance then the team. I am the captain and we have to stick together, we have to look at each other then look at yourself in the mirror." #MUFC

Maguire: "I look at those lads each day in training and we are working hard as we can but at the moment it is not good enough."

Maguire to Sky: "They were so clinical, we had a lot of chances ourselves but I'm a defender and to concede 4 in the first half especially at Old Trafford is nowhere near good enough.

"As a player I know myself. I’ll be looking at myself and my individual performance."

Full Maguire Quotes via BBC

Manchester United captain Harry Maguire, speaking to Sky Sports:

"We apologise to the fans, it was nowhere near good enough for this club. They stuck with us right to the end and we appreciate that but as a club we have to do better.

"I am so disappointed, we gave them so many chances. They were so clinical, we had a lot of chances ourselves but I am a defender and to concede four in the first half especially at Old Trafford is nowhere near good enough.

"As a player I know myself. I’ll be looking at myself and my individual performance.

"We have to stick together, there is no point blaming each other but look at ourselves. Look in the mirror when we go home tonight and think where we can do better.

"To lose to Liverpool in any game of football hurts. The rivals, the way we lost the game, to be 4-0 down at half time in front of our fans, like I say it is not good enough."

Too far to say embarrassing? “Not really. The term I’d use is not good enough. I look at those lads each day in training and we are working hard as we can but at the moment it is not good enough. I apologise to the fans, we have to look at ourselves as individuals but also stick together.

Man Utd skipper Harry Maguire talking to BBC MOTD:

"It hurts. The boys are devastated, it is not good enough, nowhere near good enough.

"I am not here to analyse the game. It is not good enough. Our fans stuck with us throughout. We apologise to them, they deserve more. We have to move on and we have to improve.

"At the moment I am hurt, disappointed, I am looking at myself, every player should do. Every player has to look at themselves because to lose that game in the way we did is so way near good enough."

David De Gea:
David de Gea: “We play like kids.”

Full Solskjaer Quotes via BBC

Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, speaking to Sky Sports:

"It is not easy to say something apart from it is the darkest day I have had leading these players. We were not good enough individually and as a team, can't give a team like Liverpool those chances but unfortunately we did.

"The whole performance was not good enough. We created openings, they had chances and they have been clinical. The third goal decided the game."

Whose responsibility? "It is mine, that is it. The coaching staff are very, very good, brilliant. I choose the way we approach the game, we were not clinical enough and gave too much spaces and when you give good players space they score.

"We are at home, playing against Liverpool, we have gone here over the last two and half years and had a similar approach to high press but today they scored on their chances I think as Manchester United we should always try to stamp our authority on the game.

"That fourth goal is when you go into half time with having to score one every 15 minutes. I know these boys are capable of it. The fourth, that was probably game over.

"You can look at last season we lose to Spurs 6-1 this is worse, miles worse. This is miles worse for me as a Manchester lad. I've just got to say we have to get over this as quickly as we can.

"I have come too far, we have come too far as a group. We are too close to give up now.

"It is going to be a difficult one. The players will be low but there's loads of characters there.

"We know we are rock bottom, we can't feel any worse than this. Let's see where we take it."

More from Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer from the post-match news conference:

"It is the worst feeling. The feeling that we are getting to where we want to be has been there. Last few weeks we have hit a brick wall. We have conceded too many easy goals. That is a concern. This is the lowest I have been. I accept the responsibility. That is mine today.

"I do believe in myself and I am getting close to what we want at the club. The results lately haven’t been good enough. Hands up. Next week is Tottenham away. Then Atalanta. Then Man City. We have to go into this with the right frame of mind.

"The time is now. Man Utd have had difficult times before and we have always bounced back. We have started this season badly. We have hit a brick wall. We need to start building results – and get clean sheets."

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is asked in the post-match news conference if he still has the backing of the club.

"I have heard nothing else," he says. "I am still thinking about tomorrow’s work. Of course, they are all low. I have never felt any worse than this. This is the lowest I have been. I accept the responsibility. That is mine today and it is mine going forward.

Solskjaer

Solskjaer: "The coaching staff are very good, brilliant, and I choose the way we approach the game. Today we were not clinical enough going forward and when you give good players spaces they score."

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1452333426774794245?s=20

Solskjaer: "Man United should always try at home to stamp our authority in the game. "At 4-0 (it was damage limitation). You go in at half-time having to score one every 15 minutes, I know these players are capable of it."

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1452333745470586889?s=20

Solskjaer: "We lost 6-1 to Spurs last season but this is miles worse. We have to get over it as quick as we can and move on."

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1452333843038580743?s=20

Solskjaer: "We are at rock bottom, we cannot feel any worse than this."

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1452334122781843456?s=20

Solskjaer is asked if he is the right man to take #MUFC forward. "I have come too far, we have come too far as a group and we are too close to give up now."

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1452335272805404677?s=20

Solskjaer defiant and looking ahead. "We have big games coming up, so no time to sulk, no time to feel sorry for yourself. We have to come together."

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1452338776584425477?s=20

Solskjaer: "I am sad, disappointed, angry of course. My emotion doesn't matter apart from what do we do to improve and make sure it doesn't happen."

https://twitter.com/ShamoonHafez/status/1452338952900423683?s=20

Pretty crazy how everyone was piling onto me a month ago when I suggested that Ole should be replaced with Conte.

Mate, if Conte has rhe legacyyou believe after what he did at Chelsea, going to Utd would ruin it for him.

The whole club is toxic under the Glazers.I’ll skit Solksjaer all day but hes only a small parr of the problem. The squad is bang average to be kind at the very top level outside of the front end. And the utterly mad Ronaldo move is slowly crippling that. Its been built with absolutely NO plan in place to fit any system.Even Klopp or Guardiola would struggle to get much more than top 4 with that group.

Klopp’s arguably the best coach in World football. But we only started to change when we got the right DoF/ GM/ Sporting Director, call it what you will, and got our recruitment right to fit Klopps specific style.Utd's recruitment continues to be all over the place and a real hodge-poge with absolutely no thought or planbehind it. NO manager is doing anything there until they build the team to fit a system and aort out the recruitment.

Which currently is YEARS away from Chelsea. Let alone City and L’pool.

So push Conte all you want but if you really love the fella’ you want him nowhere near Utd whilst the Glazers run that shitshow.

Even Klopp or Guardiola would struggle to get much more than top 4 with that group.

Klopp’s arguably the best coach in World football. But we only started to change when we got the right DoF/ GM/ Sporting Director, call it what you will, and got our recruitment right to fit Klopps specific style.Utd's recruitment continues to be all over the place and a real hodge-poge with absolutely no thought or planbehind it. No manager is doing anything there until they build the team to fit a system and aort out the recruitment.

You say that but every signing under Solkjaer, barring perhaps Van der Beek and Ronaldo, have all been signed on his recommendation.

I think the issue is we give managers too much authority over transfers. For example, I remember very distinctly that Klopp wanted Julian Brandt rather than Salah. You signed Salah instead.

Solkjaer has hand picked vast majority of his signings and sometimes, wouldn't even know how to fit them in the side. Then there's the overarching coaching issue

You say that but every signing under Solkjaer, barring perhaps Van der Beek and Ronaldo, have all been signed on his recommendation.

I think the issue is we give managers too much authority over transfers. For example, I remember very distinctly that Klopp wanted Julian Brandt rather than Salah. You signed Salah instead.

Solkjaer has hand picked vast majority of his signings and sometimes, wouldn't even know how to fit them in the side. Then there's the overarching coaching issue

Which juat makes the while shitshow even worse if that actually has been the case.

BTW, regarding the PE teacher, if he cares about Utd he’d resign tonight.

That should NEVER happen to L’pool at OT. EVER.

Its funny because people use that to drum up some kind of support for Ole saying he has got his signings right and has set it all up for the next manager. What good signings? he has spent 300 million plus and you are stuck with a Righback who has so much raw natural talent defensively but is not being coached to take his game to the next level. A record fee for a CB who will most likely be a headache for whoever comes in as you cant drop the club captain (seriously Maguire captaining the side says a lot) and now the CR7 conundrum because you have a 70 million winger on the bench who looks like he's forgotten how to play football. I haven't even mentioned VDB etc... Bruno is the only saving grace but with the amount of money utd can throw at transfers eventually one sticks to the wall.

BTW, regarding the PE teacher, if he cares about Utd he’d resign tonight.

That should NEVER happen to L’pool at OT. EVER.

Oh we know that won't happen but you know the worst part? how we looked today didn't shock me. My mate was surprised at how I kept a straight face with all the goals we conceded in the first half.

I mean, we only need to go back to 2 weeks ago vs Villareal @ OT when Villareal could've easily scored 5 in the first half alone. You lot just punished us for playing the same way we have been playing throughout the season

Its funny because people use that to drum up some kind of support for Ole saying he has got his signings right and has set it all up for the next manager. What good signings? he has spent 300 million plus and you are stuck with a Righback who has so much raw natural talent defensively but is not being coached to take his game to the next level. A record fee for a CB who will most likely be a headache for whoever comes in as you cant drop the club captain (seriously Maguire captaining the side says a lot) and now the CR7 conundrum because you have a 70 million winger on the bench who looks like he's forgotten how to play football. I haven't even mentioned VDB etc... Bruno is the only saving grace but with the amount of money utd can throw at transfers eventually one sticks to the wall.

I think they’ve had it that bad under everyone since Ferguson mate they don’t recognise a quality squad. ANYTHING that remotely upgrades on Mourinho's outfits is deemed a major improvement. And absolute gobshites who should be nowhere near a TV studio like Neville and Ferdinand chatting utter wham to defend their bezzie Solksjaer have just added to the mad narrative.

This Utd squad, as its currently been assembled, is right where it should be. Battling for 4th at best.

Yeah, you're right. You're a absolutely bang on with this. Barring Dan James (whom he binned off to Leeds), his signings are signings we'd all make on fifa. I do wonder if he just does was I do on FM and ignore every scouting report that gets on my desk and sign big name players because I have the money.

But then again, this is what happens when too much autonomy is given to a manager. I get you give that type of control to Pep Guardiola as he knows his players and his player, 9 times out of 10, would fit suit managers as well but to do that with a man whose biggest achievement is winning some Norwegian league is bonkers.

Say what you want but Florentino knows when to sell a player.

This Utd squad, as its currently been assembled, is right where it should be. Battling for 4th at best.

I mean, we don't even look like a team battling for top 4. We're a point behind spurs and level on points with arsenal of all teams. Looking at out next 9 fixtures, on current form, there's a good chance we lose 7 out of 9 of them. We might even give Norwich their first W of the season at this rate.

I honestly don't have faith we're getting out of the CL group as I can see us losing to both Atalanta and Villareal. I just don't understand how that PE teacher has managed to make us look worse than last season despite only selling Dan James, whom was a bench warmer.

The match against you lot was no fluke and there's nothing that gives me any hope that this is going to turn around. We're going to lose to spurs next week and probably face another hammering in the Manchester derby after that. Clueless twats like Neville refuse to call out their bestie and insist on giving him even more undeserved time.

Everything is hopeless at this point.

Last edited:
Interesting point, you never see Ole tearing into his players from the touchline like you see Klopp/Guardiola/Tuchel constantly do.

Goes back to my earlier point. He does not really have the respect of his players so he doesn’t dare tear into them.

Got a chance to relive the horror yesterday and a few things to note'
Screenshot_20211024-225331__01.jpg

Greenwood needs to be coached on how to press effectively. I saw the same thing from him vs LC where he wouldn't make curved runs to block off passing lanes to Castagne I think. It's no coincidence I see the same sort of pressing movement from him here. He presses like a kid in essence which does make sense since he's 20. This actually led to a couple of Liverpool's goals (1st and 4th). Robertson receives the ball and AWB tries to press him. Liverpool easily bypass this and Lindelof shuttles across to cover up the space he left behind while trying to press. Maguire covers the space left by Lindelof and Shaw covers the space left by Maguire. That left no one marking Liverpool's right hand side. Complete systematic failure. Hard to pin this on one individual but it all began with Greenwood

Screenshot_20211024-225028__01__01.jpg

Screenshot_20211024-225158__01.jpg

The Ronaldo problem. This always means Bruno leaves the midfield to compensate for his non-existent press which leaves us in a 3v2 situation. It even becomes a 4v2 situation as firmino likes to drop deep as well.

Maybe, just maybe, We could've fared better if we just sat back and covered up gaps that consistently appeared in midfield. We can't press with Ronaldo so might as well.

Screenshot_20211024-225045__01__01.jpg

Just basically more of the same.

I really am scared of the next Manchester derby as Pep loves his midfield superiority. And add to how ruthless city can be, it could be a true bloodbath. I'm talking 9-0

Last edited: