The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
This whole 'selective compassion' business just confuses the **** out of me

It's just that terrorist attacks happen so rarely in western countries these days that when one does take place, everyone sits up and takes notice. Whereas when you have suicide bombers blowing themselves up daily in the Middle East, you just become desensitized and immune to it. Just like how people dying in car crashes are just a statistic to us whereas people dying in an airplane crash makes us sit up and take notice immediately even though more people die from car crashes

Therefore, when a western attack does happen then it inevitably affects us more deeply on an emotional level paving the way for unprecedented shows of solidarity. It is of course unfortunate in the impression it gives but that's just human nature

Last edited:
This whole 'selective compassion' business just confuses the **** out of me

It's just that terrorist attacks happen so rarely in western countries these days that when one does take place, everyone sits up and takes notice. Whereas when you have suicide bombers blowing themselves up daily in the Middle East, you just become desensitized and immune to it. Just like how people dying in car crashes are just a statistic to us whereas people dying in an airplane crash makes us sit up and take notice immediately even though more people die from car crashes

Therefore, when a western attack does happen then it inevitably affects us more deeply on an emotional level paving the way for unprecedented shows of solidarity. It is of course unfortunate in the impression it gives but that's just human nature

General public is one thing. But Turkey is an UEFA country for God's sake. You'd think football world would show some unity with country they regularly face in Champions League and Euro qualifiers, and not just shrug it off as another day in the East.

General public is one thing. But Turkey is an UEFA country for God's sake. You'd think football world would show some unity with country they regularly face in Champions League and Euro qualifiers, and not just shrug it off as another day in the East.

I don't want to turn this forum political, but as regards the Turks .....

Turkey that are a member of the EU.

Turkey that are a meter of NATO.

Turkey the gateway to Syria.

Turkey which has a sizeable portion of it's public supporting Islam. Which at War with the West. (And anyone not Islamic.).

Turkey who's people chose to disrupt the silence for the French attacks before their International this week chanting for Allah. The same people from this 'modern' Turkey who have a 29% approval rate for suicide bombings targeting innocent civilians to 'defend Islam from it's enemy's.'

It's like an 'enemy within' and the sooner we wake up and sanction Country's like that the better.

Forgive me for saying F-Turkey. The same way they said F-France this week.

*Edit* Thoughts and prayers to whats developing in Mali right now. And so it continues. Sighs.

Last edited:

Yeah but violence has been raging in Turkey since forever from the Kurdish separatists etc. It's come to a point where public turns a blind eye to any violence in Africa or the Middle East because they just seem to happen all the time

I don't want to turn this forum political, but as regards the Turks .....

Turkey that are a member of the EU.

Turkey that are a meter of NATO.

Turkey the gateway to Syria.

Turkey which has a sizeable portion of it's public supporting Islam. Which at War with the West. (And anyone not Islamic.).

Turkey who's people chose to disrupt the silence for the French attacks before their International this week chanting for Allah. The same people from this 'modern' Turkey who have a 29% approval rate for suicide bombings targeting innocent civilians to 'defend Islam from it's enemy's.'

It's like an 'enemy within' and the sooner we wake up and sanction Country's like that the better.

Forgive me for saying F-Turkey. The same way they said F-France this week.

*Edit* Thoughts and prayers to whats developing in Mali right now. And so it continues. Sighs.

Man, I'm honestly far less worried about any of that stuff, than I am about reactions it causes in here. Our ultra-catholic nutjobs are already batshit crazy as it is. The ruling party brought an exorcist to parliament house, to purge the evil spirit from the oppositon seats. I **** you not. Imagine if they find a target worthy of crusade.

Grass is greener on the other side and all that. All religion is bad news.

Let's keep the discussion to the thread subject matter.

Not being oblivious or anything, but I know from experience that nothing good comes from these discussions and a flame war starts, people get banned, threads get closed-it's a ripple effect.

So best to keep to subject matter.

Thanks.

As it stands right now Leicester are top of the Premier League!!! The Tinkerman is marching on!!!!

Congratulations to Jamie Vardy on equalling Utd's Ruud Van Nistelrooy AND L'pool's John Aldridge's record of scoring in 10 successive top flight games.

Yes kids, there was indeed football pre-Premiership contrary to what Sky will tell you.

Last edited:
Yes kids, there was indeed football pre-Premiership contrary to what Sky will tell you.

I never get why people are so happy to laud the pretty much undisputed accomplishments of Wenger on player fitness and the effect it's had on the modern game, whilst simultaneously acting like the PL distinction people tend to use is completely arbitrary. I mean, it makes a lot more sense to be comparing Vardy's form to RvN's than it does to Aldridge's surely?

I never get why people are so happy to laud the pretty much undisputed accomplishments of Wenger on player fitness and the effect it's had on the modern game, whilst simultaneously acting like the PL distinction people tend to use is completely arbitrary. I mean, it makes a lot more sense to be comparing Vardy's form to RvN's than it does to Aldridge's surely?

Yeah. That 5 year pre-Premiership haul was SO different.

Records a record and the leagues the league no matter how you want to dress it up.

Leicester to win the league. You heard it here first.

I see Azorla tried and succeeded in trying to copy the John Terry penalty miss

Some pundits questioned the appointment of Ranieri. And he's responded in some style. Tremondous job-I always thought it was a great appointment and I'm happy to see him doing so well. Leicester deserve all the plaudits-tremondous stuff.

And Jamie Vardy. What can you say? What a season

Last edited:
Chelsea result aside, which looks a lot less impressive now, what have City really done this season? They seem to fall about every time they come under heavy pressure.

With Tottenham keeping up their good form, Chelsea surely going to turn it around, Liverpool a massively different prospect under Klopp, along with Arsenal, City and Utd, the race for the top 4 this year is fixing to be REA:special.

4 into 6 just doesn't go and I honestly wouldn't like to say which of those 4 will miss out with any certainty as I type.

*Discounting the current leaders as I doubt anyone, even the most ardent Foxes fan, expects their brilliant start to last through until May.

With Tottenham keeping up their good form, Chelsea surely going to turn it around, Liverpool a massively different prospect under Klopp, along with Arsenal, City and Utd, the race for the top 4 this year is fixing to be REA:special.

4 into 6 just doesn't go and I honestly wouldn't like to say which of those 4 will miss out with any certainty as I type.

*Discounting the current leaders as I doubt anyone, even the most ardent Foxes fan, expects their brilliant start to last through until May.
but it would be funny as **** if thay did

but it would be funny as **** if thay did

Leicester? Oh **** yes. It'd be hilarious, and pretty darn brilliant, for a team like that to make the top 4.

Just can't see it in a million years. When was the last time we had a surprise top 4 side? (Not including Tottenham.).

Everton in '04/'05? After that I'm struggling. Newcastle maybe?

Gutted Sky are losing their best pundit in Gary Neville be interesting to see how he gets on with Valencia

Back