The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
I've made that point over and over. Leicester, at their best, play without the ball. They were found out this season by teams letting Leicester have the ball and they can't do **** with it.

City have just played right into their fingers

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using Tapatalk

It is fascinating how these so called superstar managers cannot adjust their system for the opponent of the day.

It is fascinating how these so called superstar managers cannot adjust their system for the opponent of the day.

Stunningly Naive from Pep.

The same Pep that notorious for tweaking and adjusting to the opposition? Hes created about a million new formations to adapt to the opposition. Personnel at the back are shambles. That's his issue.

The same Pep that notorious for tweaking and adjusting to the opposition? Hes created about a million new formations to adapt to the opposition. Personnel at the back are shambles. That's his issue.

Usually but not today. He played the perfect defensive system to compliment their attack and gameplan. Today he should have tweaked, instead of sticking to his guns. :)

Usually but not today. He played the perfect defensive system to compliment their attack and gameplan. Today he should have tweaked, instead of sticking to his guns. :)

He did tweak. Look at the personnel in defence and the formation. He just got it wrong. The personnel at the back are shambles. He needs 1 top class central defender and new full backs.

He did tweak. Look at the personnel in defence and the formation. He just got it wrong. The personnel at the back are shambles. He needs 1 top class central defender and new full backs.

Bit of both today. The personnel aren't there to play this system yet, but he stuck with it anyway. Meh, I'm a long time blue, as long as we dont get relegated, im fine :)

I'm seeing a lot of hate toward John Stones. Personally I think it's pretty harsh. Where else can you buy a defender for nearly £50 million and where he can create so many goal scoring chances?

View attachment 115434

Last edited:
Is it too late to say : Welcome to the Premier League Pep?
I don't expect anyone to remember all the **** I say, but I always said Pep is not a world class manager UNLESS he can prove himself in the Premier. I will not rush into this and say : "HA! I told you he's ****!", but he's definitely showing he is not the second coming of Jesus in football like so many have seen him a few years back.

I predicted when he signed for City, his next stop is PSG. Easy league, no opponent, what more can you ask for?
(In case it's a mistery, no, I don't like the man, nor his style)

I don't expect anyone to remember all the **** I say, but I always said Pep is not a world class manager UNLESS he can prove himself in the Premier. I will not rush into this and say : "HA! I told you he's ****!", but he's definitely showing he is not the second coming of Jesus in football like so many have seen him a few years back.

I predicted when he signed for City, his next stop is PSG. Easy league, no opponent, what more can you ask for?
I've maintained the stance that he was overrated since he joined bayern.

The media did make it out to be the 2nd coming of Jesus

Are you serious? This is a knee-jerk reaction. The guy has nothing to prove. Guardiola has improved both Barcelona and Bayern Munich playing some of the best football you'll ever see.
I've maintained the stance that he was overrated since he joined bayern.

The media did make it out to be the 2nd coming of Jesus

Are you serious? This is a knee-jerk reaction. The guy has nothing to prove. Guardiola has improved both Barcelona and Bayern Munich playing some of the best football you'll ever see.
How do you improve a team fresh from a treble?

Everytime you say this and it isn't even true. He went to Bayern and they were Champions League winners. He never managed to win the CL with them. The style he played with Bayern wasn't anything great, it was just doable with the players he had there as they have such a talented squad.

Now he has a City squad that isn't nowhere near as good he is being exposed for what he is, just look at how many mistakes that defence has made from trying to play out from the back alone. A great manager would work with what he has and play to the style that fits them. This is why I think Mourinho is a better manager, he can play different styles of football to fit the team. With Pep he always tries to play this way and with City I don't think it will work in this league.

This is his toughest job by a mile and he's starting to struggle. Any decent manager can win with Barca, just look at Enrique treble in first season. Anyway, this is his biggest test and he obviously didn't hardly do any research on Leicester as he played right into their hands. Leicester are pretty much just a plan A team, if you allow them to do that they will win.

Can't for the life of me understand why Chelsea are playing Matic and Kante at home to WBA. Who are just gonna sit back and just try hitting Rondon all day. Easy to see why there struggling to break them down.

I love this Pep revisionist bullshit

It's really not though, he has inherited two of the most successful to grace world football in Bayern and Barca. With City this is his first real test, doesn't matter how you look at it.

A Barcelona team that was built by Ryjkaard that bored you to death (let's just pass the ball till the opponent falls asleep, great football indeed), and a Bayern that was tearing everything apart already under Heynckes. He is a very good manager, but he inherited in both cases some top teams.

So basically we are saying here that anyone could win the Bundesliga and Heynckes is underated becuase he won the treble???

So hang on a minute, Heynckes won fuckall in his first season at Bayern in that spell, runners up in the league, cup and European Cup, oh but anyone can win the bundesliga its easy.

we underate Heynckes and should be given more credit becuase he then went on to win a treble? Pep ripped up Barcelona team got rid of the bad eggs started again,promoted youth players who had been playing the third tier of spanish football. Goes on to win a treble with Barceloan TWICE in what is ultimately a tougher domestic league to win in the Bundesliga also creating the best club side we have ever seen and likely to see in not just mine but many peoples opinion but he aint all that?

#FMBase logic in a nutshell, done with this convo now its boring, like Mike said its somekind of snobbery you lot can carry on

And yet Rijkaard the season before failed hard, the barceloan fans were waving the qhite flag at matches in protest that season because things had unravelled so much. Lets stop pretending that top level management is easy if that was the case Chelseas title winning side wouldn't have finished tenth last season, or Moyes would have won the league again following on from Fergie.

also from the players you mentioned going off memory

Thuram was 35+ and retired
Deco went to chelsea
ronaldinho to Milan
Xavi was on the verge of leaving
iniesta and messi wasn't the world class players they went on to become
Busquets was promoted from the B side and pep had coached him well but was largely unproven as that barca b side was in the third division
Pique again largely unproven

So its not like he walked into a brilliant all encompassing team which he guided the next season to a treble I think it was (League, cup and UCL)

A Barcelona team that was built by Ryjkaard that bored you to death (let's just pass the ball till the opponent falls asleep, great football indeed), and a Bayern that was tearing everything apart already under Heynckes. He is a very good manager, but he inherited in both cases some top teams.

It really wasn't created by Rijkaard at all not even one bit that sode was in such a mess and dysfunctional it was unreal this is what I mean by revisionism, also for everyone else because i hate repeating myself I'll just pull up these quotes and you can find the relevant bits.

He was always going to find it harder in the Prem because of the competitive nature of the league, he's adjusting and he'll get there eventually.

Back