The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 689K
Don't know about you guys, but i'm kinda against VAR. Yes, perhaps matches will be fairer. But it'll interrupt flow of the game itself. And we will not get another Hand of God. Or any historical moment like that again. Moments everyone talk about.

Don't know about you guys, but i'm kinda against VAR. Yes, perhaps matches will be fairer. But it'll interrupt flow of the game itself. And we will not get another Hand of God. Or any historical moment like that again. Moments everyone talk about.

I'm kind of with you, it depends on what situations it is used.... if it is used a lot will defo ruin flow of a game like you say.

You'll still get moments everyone talks about they just won't be blatant cheating, as long as they don't increase its remit from goals, red cards penalties and mistaken identity I think it is fine. Any more than that and it will begin to slow the game down a lot

I still remember how much criticism referees got last year. The technology is there to help them. It is time to use it.

Big and controversial decisions already disrupt flow of the game - referees talk to each other, players protest, fans whistle. VAR referee will not prolong those, **** it can help make the decisions faster, and most importantly make them right (hopefully :D)

As I see it, VAR should be used during game on big, match changing incidents, not affect referees' every single decision.

How the **** did Noble not get a straight red. And what a **** house Arnoutavic is! Really soft second peno in the last min also. Ref really bad in that game!

Last edited:
If video technology was used lets say.. Arsenal's goal would of been disallowed yesterday anyway because he had a toe off side. But looking at it normally, you'd never say that was offside. I just think minute details like this would maybe ruin the game... who knows though.. it may be good if we always get the right decisions in these moments.

Kind of the excitement of football though.

If video technology was used lets say.. Arsenal's goal would of been disallowed yesterday anyway because he had a toe off side. But looking at it normally, you'd never say that was offside. I just think minute details like this would maybe ruin the game.

You know, I grew up watching Polish Ekstraklasa, which at the time was ripe with game fixing and corruption. I've seen **** you people wouldn't believe.

My hometown team was relegated in mid 1990s. It was a match fixing scheme so elaborate, I wouldn't have thought it possible if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

We were 5th by mid-season and were hoping to challenge for Europe. Second part of the season we had dip in form, but after 37 games we still didn't spend even a day on relegation spots. Last day we were playing another relegation candidate. It was away game so I listened oh the radio. After half-time we're leading 1-0. In the second half out of nowhere we get a goal disallowed and two players send off, you can guess what happens next.

I remember radio speaker saying we are relegated and I just could not believe it. Nobody even saw it coming because we never looked like in danger for 99% of the season, only came in reach of the bottom 4 by the 37 game, and got relegated completely out of nowhere, in last minutes of the season, after looking completely safe for entire year. It was like something out of this world.

Years later it turned out, the clubs in those days used to run sort of protection pacts. If you weren't a part of the pact, a complex match fixing scheme was cooked, with teams deliberately throwing games against your direct opponents to sink you. It was racket, and that year our board felt we were strong enough not to pay up (because previous years we did, we were not above it). That **** was going on for years, decades maybe until finally somewhere about 2005ish cops have got the sniff of the whole thing.

VAR may not be perfect, it will certainly take time to fine tune how it's applies and there's bound to be some hiccups. But I've seen enough Dark Side of football to know that using objective tech to help the refs is necessary for the game of football to stay free of corruption.

Last edited:

**** man, that truly sucks, I can see why you are backing the VAR now.

Tbh it works very well in other sports such as Rugby and Cricket. Just got to implement it in the best way so you don't interrupt the flow of the game and use it sparingly for key decisions.

Was that a foul throw? Lets go to VAR to see... haha.. none of that shizz. The ref can use his own eyes and decision-making for stuff like that.

Harry Arter should have been booked for Watford impersonation, says Dermot Gallagher.

Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter should have been booked for pretending to be one of Nathaniel Chalobah's team-mates, according to Dermot Gallagher.

During their 2-0 defeat on Saturday, Arter stopped his Watford counterpart from taking a shot by appearing to shout "Jack's!" behind him, causing Chalobah to leave the ball.

Full Story

Did you ever hear such bollox?
I think it was a clever move by Arter.

[video=youtube;QKRI-XMWcxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKRI-XMWcxU[/video]

Harry Arter should have been booked for Watford impersonation, says Dermot Gallagher.

Bournemouth midfielder Harry Arter should have been booked for pretending to be one of Nathaniel Chalobah's team-mates, according to Dermot Gallagher.

During their 2-0 defeat on Saturday, Arter stopped his Watford counterpart from taking a shot by appearing to shout "Jack's!" behind him, causing Chalobah to leave the ball.

Full Story

Did you ever hear such bollox?
I think it was a clever move by Arter.

[video=youtube;QKRI-XMWcxU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKRI-XMWcxU[/video]
Its a foul and should be or else everyone would do it every week if Watford hadn't won I think.

Against modern day football example 99008:

The EFL Cup third-round draw will take place in Beijing, China on Thursday - at 04:15 BST.

The seven Premier League sides playing in Europe will be among the 32 clubs in the draw, including last season's winners Manchester United.

Previous draws for the competition have been beset by problems - including teams being drawn out twice and confusion around home and away ties.

The 16 fixtures will be played in the week commencing 18 September.

The English Football League apologised for an issue with the graphics that accompanied their live stream of the first-round draw - which took place in Thailand - when Charlton accidently appeared in two ties and Forest Green Rovers were listed as playing Wolves when they had been drawn against MK Dons.

Following the second-round draw, the EFL was forced to clarify which teams were playing at home in four of the ties, after mistakes during the live announcement.

This is the first season of a three-year naming rights deal for the EFL Cup - formerly the League Cup - with Carabao, a Thai energy drink.

Yeah it's not allowed, even in our Sunday league you're not allowed to shout "leave it" or it's a booking. Have to give a name

Yeah it's not allowed, even in our Sunday league you're not allowed to shout "leave it" or it's a booking. Have to give a name

My brother has done this recently in hockey, multiple games he's been chasing an opposition player and yelled "dump it" and they drop it to him, and he thanks them, picks it up and turns around. He stopped recently when someone from our club told him that it used to be a red card offence haha

Bad sportsmanship in my opinion

This is how you deal with a one season shirt deal:

DIQyQcoXcAEBAOR

Back