The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
Yeah its terrifying what's been going on with Soton lately. I think everybody expected 2-3 players to leave but the scale of the clear out is insane. Soon there'll be just Boruc left, and that's probably only because he's too old to have a shot in a big club.

No wonder Pochettino jumped ship too. He had to know what was coming.

Yeah its terrifying what's been going on with Soton lately. I think everybody expected 2-3 players to leave but the scale of the clear out is insane. Soon there'll be just Boruc left, and that's probably only because he's too old to have a shot in a big club.

No wonder Pochettino jumped ship too. He had to know what was coming.

I agree although Pochettino leaving is probably also part of the problem and a big factor in the departures and mooted departures of certain players.

Don't be ridiculous. It's easy for you, a United fan, to say that the club needs to stick it out, but realistically there's no way at all they could've kept the majority of the players that have gone so far. When your club captain, the man who kissed his badge and all but swore undying fealty to the club submits a transfer request and therefore loses out on lots of money just to move to another club, there's no way you're stopping them. Lovren would've thrown a strop like he did at Lyon, I'll bet you Lallana would have as well considering how he handled his departure, and there would've been uproar not just from the player and his agent if Luke Shaw wasn't allowed to leave.

United going for James Ward-Prowse would be a decent move for the club, despite the fact that he'd never get any ****** game time. I'm just annoyed at how Southampton have been so cannibalised. They're not 'having a clearing out sale', they're getting the heart and soul ripped out of their club, and it really annoys me to see the fans of all the big clubs fantasy picking and choosing from the metaphorical corpse. Ever since we nearly went under and everyone took our best players one by one it's been a sensitive point for me. And ****, at least when we went under we HAD to sell. Southampton quite clearly need these players, as evidenced by the big money being quoted for them, but they just can't hold onto them. It's sickening.

If nothing else, James Ward-Prowse shouldn't move to United because apparently no United fan actually knows his name is Ward-Prowse rather than just Prowse.

A large part of many of these players leaving is Pochettino going to Spurs though. You have to wonder if this would have happened had the owner's ambition been greater.

A large part of many of these players leaving is Pochettino going to Spurs though. You have to wonder if this would have happened had the owner's ambition been greater.

That's debateable, I mean we don't really know either way. I'm not sure Southampton could've kept Pochettino either, I mean what would they have said to him? They can't offer him more money than Levy, they can't offer a better squad or a better budget. Keeping managers is even harder than keeping players.

That's debateable, I mean we don't really know either way. I'm not sure Southampton could've kept Pochettino either, I mean what would they have said to him? They can't offer him more money than Levy, they can't offer a better squad or a better budget. Keeping managers is even harder than keeping players.

Obviously he has the advantage of not needing to actually fulfil these particular promises, but Cortese did say that if he was in charge Pochettino would stay at Southampton and they would wait another year before selling their young stars. Like you said, it's debatable, though I definitely think him leaving has played a notable part in Southampton's dismantling.

Obviously he has the advantage of not needing to actually fulfil these particular promises, but Cortese did say that if he was in charge Pochettino would stay at Southampton and they would wait another year before selling their young stars. Like you said, it's debatable, though I definitely think him leaving has played a notable part in Southampton's dismantling.

I think you're right to an extent. The real problem is these kinds of sales tend to have a knock on effect within the squad. Rickie Lambert goes, fine, it's to his boyhood club. Luke Shaw goes, and then all of a sudden players start getting antsy. They see the money this talented youngster is making and start asking themselves why they can't go too. Then club captain Lallana cashes in and all **** breaks loose. Where do you draw the line? It was unfeasible for Southampton to keep hold of all of their players, and sadly unfeasible for them to only sell a few, too.

Don't mind GC, he's still salty after United got Zaha from CP.

Don't mind GC, he's still salty after United got Zaha from CP.

No, why should I care about that? We got a good price for Zaha, a player who was clearly the best player in the division and stayed with us and helped us win promotion. Frankly I'm not sure there's a BETTER way for a player to leave.

I will always have a soft spot for Southampton and while I am happy with the signing of Calum Chambers I believe if Southampton would re-invest the money received from sales from these players they could easily build a decent side that would finish mid table. Understandably they would probably have a Spurs effect for the first couple of months with the amount of players they buy but realistically what were they aiming for? Surely Europe isn't realistic for them? Mid table would be best for them.

I will always have a soft spot for Southampton and while I am happy with the signing of Calum Chambers I believe if Southampton would re-invest the money received from sales from these players they could easily build a decent side that would finish mid table. Understandably they would probably have a Spurs effect for the first couple of months with the amount of players they buy but realistically what were they aiming for? Surely Europe isn't realistic for them? Mid table would be best for them.

Europe could've been realistic for them if they still had their previous squad. That's what they were pushing towards. As it is, the best they can hope for is mid-table, rather than the minimum.

No, why should I care about that? We got a good price for Zaha, a player who was clearly the best player in the division and stayed with us and helped us win promotion. Frankly I'm not sure there's a BETTER way for a player to leave.
Whoa, you're really upset about something when even you cannot see obvious trolling.

Don't be ridiculous. It's easy for you, a United fan, to say that the club needs to stick it out, but realistically there's no way at all they could've kept the majority of the players that have gone so far. When your club captain, the man who kissed his badge and all but swore undying fealty to the club submits a transfer request and therefore loses out on lots of money just to move to another club, there's no way you're stopping them. Lovren would've thrown a strop like he did at Lyon, I'll bet you Lallana would have as well considering how he handled his departure, and there would've been uproar not just from the player and his agent if Luke Shaw wasn't allowed to leave.

United going for James Ward-Prowse would be a decent move for the club, despite the fact that he'd never get any ****** game time. I'm just annoyed at how Southampton have been so cannibalised. They're not 'having a clearing out sale', they're getting the heart and soul ripped out of their club, and it really annoys me to see the fans of all the big clubs fantasy picking and choosing from the metaphorical corpse. Ever since we nearly went under and everyone took our best players one by one it's been a sensitive point for me. And ****, at least when we went under we HAD to sell. Southampton quite clearly need these players, as evidenced by the big money being quoted for them, but they just can't hold onto them. It's sickening.

If nothing else, James Ward-Prowse shouldn't move to United because apparently no United fan actually knows his name is Ward-Prowse rather than just Prowse.

United have done it before with Rooney.... any sort of professional footballer wouldn't suddenly play **** because of it, he'd at least want to continue playing well to get a chance of the move in the future... or at least until his contract run down. (Dortmund - Lewandowski). Then maybe by the time another 6 - 12 months has passed they may not even want to leave anyway, imagine if they had of started really well this season?

Plenty of examples, I just don't think they have tried hard enough to keep their players personally, but heh according to you they don't have a choice, so I guess we'll leave it there.

Shaw I can understand as that is a lot of money and they have good players to cover him, but the rest is just silly to let all that happen.

Whoa, you're really upset about something when even you cannot see obvious trolling.

I'm not upset. I guess I'm slightly bored of the Zaha references?

United have done it before with Rooney.... any sort of professional footballer wouldn't suddenly play **** because of it, he'd at least want to continue playing well to get a chance of the move in the future... or at least until his contract run down. (Dortmund - Lewandowski). Then maybe by the time another 6 - 12 months has passed they may not even want to leave anyway, imagine if they had of started really well this season?

Plenty of examples, I just don't think they have tried hard enough to keep their players personally, but heh according to you they don't have a choice, so I guess we'll leave it there.

Shaw I can understand as that is a lot of money and they have good players to cover him, but the rest is just silly to let all that happen.

Lewa's one example of a player playing well after agreeing a move, but there's plenty more examples of the opposite happening. Besides, if Southampton were sure they could've kept him as an effective and happy player, I'm certain they would have. They know more than we do in regards to that, so I'm going to have to take their word.

You're assuming Southampton just wanted their best players to leave. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Either Southampton could've forced them to stay and faced mass discontent or they could've maximised their profit. They did the latter and got as good a deal as they could've got, but it's still very sad to see.

I'm not upset. I guess I'm slightly bored of the Zaha references?

Lewa's one example of a player playing well after agreeing a move, but there's plenty more examples of the opposite happening. Besides, if Southampton were sure they could've kept him as an effective and happy player, I'm certain they would have. They know more than we do in regards to that, so I'm going to have to take their word.

You're assuming Southampton just wanted their best players to leave. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Either Southampton could've forced them to stay and faced mass discontent or they could've maximised their profit. They did the latter and got as good a deal as they could've got, but it's still very sad to see.

Sure will be interesting to see how much of this money Koeman will see and who he will bring in, wasn't feyenoord in financial difficulty? He may turn to them, Been a while since I have followed Erividisie closely. I agree with you though this team could've been pushing for Europa spot next season and with a slice of luck maybe even higher and now that most likely will not happen it is **** shame too

Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger says Morgan Schneiderlin & Jay Rodriguez will not be leaving the club.

Oh look, here's a timely indicator of exactly what I'm talking about:

Btusd9wIMAAwu0r.jpg:large

And that's from a player widely accepted as being a consummate professional.

Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger says Morgan Schneiderlin & Jay Rodriguez will not be leaving the club.

Oh look, here's a timely indicator of exactly what I'm talking about:

Btusd9wIMAAwu0r.jpg:large

And that's from a player widely accepted as being a consummate professional.

Fairly confident both will move regardless...

One bit of sympathy i do have for Schneiderlin is why has the line been checked at him? He is going to feel aggrieved seeing all his teammates go to bigger clubs whilst the board reject his move

Fairly confident both will move regardless...

One bit of sympathy i do have for Schneiderlin is why has the line been checked at him? He is going to feel aggrieved seeing all his teammates go to bigger clubs whilst the board reject his move

You're quite right. That's exactly why Saints can't just sell a few players and be done with it. It's a real pity, but it's the truth.

Back