The Premier League Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10K
  • Views Views 688K
You're quite right. That's exactly why Saints can't just sell a few players and be done with it. It's a real pity, but it's the truth.

Seen a graphic that shows Saints' starting 11 for the first game of last season - if Schned/Jrod leave then that's 7 first team players gone in one window

Extraordinary

Oh look, here's a timely indicator of exactly what I'm talking about:

Btusd9wIMAAwu0r.jpg:large

And that's from a player widely accepted as being a consummate professional.

Rather terrible from him... but Southampton have gone too far now to suddenly stop and you can expect more reactions like that.

To be honest I think Southampton did good not letting players go anymore (should've done it earlier as they cashed in for Shaw and co.) because they aren't in any money trouble anyways. They should tell the players (bit like FM), give me some time to buy reinforcements and then we can talk again about transfers going out. Else this clubs is just gonna be bankrupt or relegate in a few years.

Just like most other clubs who aren't at the top, they need to sell their best 2-3 players because they're too good for the club/competition, but what's happening right here is just curious, because i don't think they were in any money trouble?

Seen a graphic that shows Saints' starting 11 for the first game of last season - if Schned/Jrod leave then that's 7 first team players gone in one window

Extraordinary

At this rate we will see completely different 11 this season.

Also IIRC Benfica sold 8 of their starting 11 and they were by far the best in Portuguese league last season. They took selling to next level.

At this rate we will see completely different 11 this season.

Also IIRC Benfica sold 8 of their starting 11 and they were by far the best in Portuguese league last season. They took selling to next level.

One could argue their entire philosophy is based around it though. Taking talented South Americans and turning them into Europe-ready stars.

Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin has handed in a transfer request, according to Sky sources.

One could argue their entire philosophy is based around it though. Taking talented South Americans and turning them into Europe-ready stars.

Yeah, Porto and Benfica do that but 8 out of 11 is surely overkill.

Yeah, Porto and Benfica do that but 8 out of 11 is surely overkill.

Either way its a pointless comparison. Benfica, Porto or Udinese are feeder-clubs by design. They find young talent, mold it and resell at a premium price. They're most likely prepared for a sellout at any given time. Southampton on the other hand may not be able to bounce back from this.

Either way its a pointless comparison. Benfica, Porto or Udinese are feeder-clubs by design. They find young talent, mold it and resell at a premium price. They're most likely prepared for a sellout at any given time. Southampton on the other hand may not be able to bounce back from this.

Not really. Porto, Benfica are not entirely about just selling players, they are big clubs who wins their league then sell 1 or 2 top players to keep the club moving. What Benfica did was exception rather than norm.

View attachment 349215

Just going to leave this here. It is the NET spend of each Premier league team in the last five years on players.
You can see what teams have spent the most at the top end which is no suprise.
Tottenham are bottom with Levy playing Moneyball tactics. Leaves Tottenham in good shape but shows they are a buy small sell big club.

View attachment 659803

Just going to leave this here. It is the NET spend of each Premier league team in the last five years on players.
You can see what teams have spent the most at the top end which is no suprise.
Tottenham are bottom with Levy playing Moneyball tactics. Leaves Tottenham in good shape but shows they are a buy small sell big club.

Net spend is not the good way to judge the money spent.

For example, Bale was never worth 100 Million but somehow Spurs got a wonderful gift thereby covering up their transfer money.
Luiz is never ever worth 50 Million, so that deal covers up the transfer money.

On the other hand RVP was worth much more than 24 Million but since he was on last year contract Arsenal lost him only for 24 Million.

Net transfer is just an excuse used to cover up the money spent by each team. It's still money spent.

I'll stick this in here because I cannot find a football league thread on my phone.

Doing a yankee on the 4 title winners in english league think I am going to do

Chelsea or man city
Fulham or derby
Sheff utd
Luton

League 1 and 2 not my strong point in knowledge I know sheff utd finished like a train once clough took over and luton won conference at a canter and consecutive promotions are not unheard of either way would appreciate some input.

Net spend is not the good way to judge the money spent.

For example, Bale was never worth 100 Million but somehow Spurs got a wonderful gift thereby covering up their transfer money.
Luiz is never ever worth 50 Million, so that deal covers up the transfer money.

On the other hand RVP was worth much more than 24 Million but since he was on last year contract Arsenal lost him only for 24 Million.

Net transfer is just an excuse used to cover up the money spent by each team. It's still money spent.

I'm not saying it's not. It is an indication of what the clubs have spent. Player worth is entirly something else. You will never get an accurate amount as clubs will over value most players.

Good luck Rodwell hopefully can get his career back on track, did not realise is only just turned 23. Hopefully can get a good run of games and stay injury free. Could be a bargain for Sunderland at that price.

Back