The Premier League Thread

Ironic how the most defensive negative team in the premier league score the 20000th goal, well played albrighton though. If arsenal could have held on a few minutes Aguero would have gotten it.

Wolves and Bolton say hi.

I watched you vs Liverpool and that may be the worst game ive seen all year, your players had no idea what to do when they got the ball. But maybe those two teams are more boring. they have an excuse though because their squad is poor. Villa have some great players.

_57513571_57513570.jpg

Brilliant header another great Arsene buy !

Just a tad. I'm so pleased to see him back in the team, and he's got two in two to reward McLeish's faith.

if its any consolation he is first choice for my villa team ;)

I watched you vs Liverpool and that may be the worst game ive seen all year, your players had no idea what to do when they got the ball. But maybe those two teams are more boring. they have an excuse though because their squad is poor. Villa have some great players.

So one game accounts for all season, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Bolton and Wolves also have some good players.

Bit premature dont you think? hardly like hes played many games.

every game he has played he has played well!

I hope he plays more and we buy him permantly :)

Nothing quite like judging a team on one game, is there?

Villa on occasion have been horrifically negative - see the game against Spurs, for example - but we've also had times when we've been ridiculously attacking - such as when we fit Agbonlahor, Bent, N'Zogbia, Bannan and Delph into the same team. But we'll disregard all of that in order to base it on one game.

Brilliant header another great Arsene buy !

Isn't he on loan? Or am I talking out of my proverbial?

if its any consolation he is first choice for my villa team ;)

****** ****, you're desperate. He's **** in FM.

So one game accounts for all season, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Bolton and Wolves also have some good players.

I get what Joe says, though. Villa are hardly an entertaining team to watch, but that's McLeish's way. Not a manager I like, but he's got a style of play and as long as he can get it working then good for him. One can hardly say Stoke play 'positive' football (Although I have great admiration for Stoke and I enjoy their games) but it works, there's no denying that. So far it's not been great for Villa but they're mid-table and there's half a season to go.

I get what Joe says, though. Villa are hardly an entertaining team to watch, but that's McLeish's way. Not a manager I like, but he's got a style of play and as long as he can get it working then good for him. One can hardly say Stoke play 'positive' football (Although I have great admiration for Stoke and I enjoy their games) but it works, there's no denying that. So far it's not been great for Villa but they're mid-table and there's half a season to go.

Positivity (and by extension) negativity, is subjective. Sure, a side can play long-ball, but does that necessarily make them negative? Less ATTRACTIVE, perhaps, but less positive? Not necessarily. I'll admit Villa are hardly playing beautiful football, but we haven't been negative in the last two games.

Positivity (and by extension) negativity, is subjective. Sure, a side can play long-ball, but does that necessarily make them negative? Less ATTRACTIVE, perhaps, but less positive? Not necessarily. I'll admit Villa are hardly playing beautiful football, but we haven't been negative in the last two games.

I agree, that's why I said 'positive'. I remember our game and you just shut up shop and got two goals out of the blue (Oh the irony...), and there's been a couple or more games where McLeish resorted to such measures. But indeed it's a subjective matter, as most people would agree that Barcelona plays 'positive' football but it bores the living **** out of me.

for some reason my reply didnt post :/

I have watched them more than once this season, so dont cry guys. I have never rated the style of play McLeish puts out, at least stoke are actually exciting in the attacking phase, what i get from villa is a slow tempo game with chipped balls over the top being quite common, not my kind of game. But yeah i have an opinion, sorry for that. Hes not even a very good manager either, i mean 2 relegations in 3 years :/. Should have gone for mark hughes, a much better manager and plays more attractive football that would get the best out of your classy wingers. I dont judge teams on one game, i watch 3-4 matches every weekend and i also catch games in the week, so i am as educated as you on the subject michael.

EDIT: You have to respect the fact we all like different football. The team i enjoy watching the most is probably My Man City, we play a fast tempo game on the break but we also have the quality to break teams down slowly when we need to. On a side note, Yaya Toure completed over 150 passes today :)

Im such a noob at the new fm-base, apologies for that mess above.

I agree, that's why I said 'positive'. I remember our game and you just shut up shop and got two goals out of the blue (Oh the irony...), and there's been a couple or more games where McLeish resorted to such measures. But indeed it's a subjective matter, as most people would agree that Barcelona plays 'positive' football but it bores the living **** out of me.

Fair enough. I think there's a fair point for arguing Villa have been negative at times this season, I just think that branding them as 'the worst in the league' when the likes of Wolves are sitting deep and supporting Kevin Doyle with... well, nobody, is unfair.

for some reason my reply didnt post :/

Must be the bullshit filter.

I have watched them more than once this season, so dont cry guys. I have never rated the style of play McLeish puts out, at least stoke are actually exciting in the attacking phase, what i get from villa is a slow tempo game with chipped balls over the top being quite common, not my kind of game. But yeah i have an opinion, sorry for that. Hes not even a very good manager either, i mean 2 relegations in 3 years :/. Should have gone for mark hughes, a much better manager and plays more attractive football that would get the best out of your classy wingers. I dont judge teams on one game, i watch 3-4 matches every weekend and i also catch games in the week, so i am as educated as you on the subject michael.

Who said anything about McLeish's ability as a manager? If I'm not mistaken, we were talking about Villa's positivity, or lack thereof. In pushing Mark Hughes, you've carefully glossed over the fact that he is a massive ******* who only looks out for himself and progressing his career.

Villa just got 57% of possession against Arsenal. That doesn't say the whole story, but it gives you an indication of the recent improvement in playing style. I like to think that I'm reasonably rational when it comes to Villa - I'll happily admit to shortcomings and my own bias - but I flat-out refuse to believe that Villa play the worst football in the league.

Last edited:

They aren't negative, they're just playing poorly at the moment :)

It as though McLeish has radicalised Roy Hodgson's defensive set up. Wonder how long it will be until Randy starts listening to the fans.

They aren't negative, they're just playing poorly at the moment :)

Don't make me shout at you, Jack. ;)

It as though McLeish has radicalised Roy Hodgson's defensive set up. Wonder how long it will be until Randy starts listening to the fans.

McLeish is a poor man's O'Neill with a slightly less wing-based style of play, and a much poorer set-piece ability. That's putting it simply, but that's just one way of putting it. I somehow doubt Randy gives that much of a **** about the fans since he appointed AMac in the first place, but there are some serious rumblings. Frankly, I think the majority need to remember the amount Lerner's done for us, but some have a point...