The Premier League Thread

Ok. With the curtain-raiser to the new season a week on Sat'day, I'm sound to throw up this years PL predictions. Can't see this COVID market-changing my views as of now to any significant degree-

So, with the caveat that this is the first set subject to any slight change, my 2020-21 entry into out little prediction game-

1. Liverpool.

Outside of City, nobody's remotely getting close to the defending Champions. We're SO far ahead of everyone on most every level right now, with still levels to go as we continue to evolve, it's frightening. Thiago is just the cherry on the cake. All the squad intact and improved by quality addition. Both additions this summer and a fully healthy and raring to go Kieta, Oxo-Chambo and Brewster. Along with Minamino prepared to what to expect from this mad league and our standards.

I personally think we're set to beest the league again and come out flying. Our pre-season didn't start Saturday. It effectively started as soon as the league was officially confirmed as he used the last 7 games of last season to heavily rotate and try new things. Now with the break, they've come back fresh and raring to go again.

As the manager says, we aren't going out to defend the title. We're going out to attack the next one!

_
_
_

2. City.

Last year I had the top two in that order with the caveat that it could go either way as there was literally nottin' to split them. Honestly thought that I'd be saying the same again this summer but now the gap has grown and they're the ones scrambling to keep pace with ourselves.

You'd never fully write them out of course as they're a wonderful team still but their defensive issues alone (good luck Aké helping out to that end. And the wonderful Fernandinho naturally slowing down at this stage of a stellar career), along with Pep's steadfast refusal to even slightly alter the way they play the more teams negate it just has you thinking they'll struggle to keep pace with L'pool again.

I have them a nice gap off first, but a gigantic gap again off the rest.

_
_
_
_
_

3. Wolves.

Best set-up and squad of the rest for me and with no European football to hinder them in this upcoming mad, truncated season, I think they'll take the next step and add CL football.

And they have every chance of being there to stay for a good while's given the horrible state of everyone else. Super manager and a really well run football club from top to bottom who continue to make real astute signings.

_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_
_

Here's where it gets REAL tricky. The rest of the European places.

I think one thing that will really show for clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd will be the total inexperience of their managers in how to handle rotation and keep everyone in the squad up for it when they are left out and not playing. They don't need that at all in a season like next year where heavy rotation will be KEY.

I really think there's a good opening for one or two surprise clubs to break into the European slots given the state of the traditional big players that is all over the place in differing degrees. All of which is too much to mention at the respective individual clubs or we'd be here all day.

So, for the purpose of having to predict places, I'll go with-

4. Chelsea.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
5. Leicester. (SURELY they can't have a historic collapse like last years disgrace again? SURELY?!!!!!)
6. Utd.
7. Southampton.

But in truth, any one of those plus Arsenal, Tottenham, and even someone like Sheff. Utd or first-timersLeeds under Bielsa could make up or miss out on the European slots. In ANY order.

All those teams are just much of a muchness on a similar level going nowhere fast IMHO.

As for the relegation spots-

18. Palace.
19. Fulham.
20. Villa.

Though it'll probably 3 from 5/6 with the likes of West Brom, Newcastle and West Ham in the mix.

And let's not forget Everton strengthing their hold on 10/11th.

The very definition of mid-table mediocrity. NO threat to the European places. NO threat to the relegation places. Just meh.

Nobody's quite sure exactly what the purpose of the 'meh's' are in this mad football game. But congrats to them in advance regardless for the brilliant 'meh' consistency they continue to show.

Oh, I'll throw a new addition into this year's predictions-

POTY. Nabby Kieta. If he stays healthy, which he now is and has been the only issue with that one, he'll be highlight reeling your review shows most matchday's.

Naby Lad. Remember the name!

Again, I reserve the right to change some of those over the rest of the window but I honestly don't think that need will arise.

Roll on a week Sat'day tea-time and the CS curtain raiser! As mad as it already is to to have the new season back so soon.

Last edited:
Here is me going for a full table again....Will justify some of the positions:

1. Liverpool - We have strengthened our weakest (in terms of depth) position, and if we get in a couple more like Thiago I can see it being another monster season for us.
2. City - I think their season relies on how well Ake settles in. If he is solid, it will be a close fight between them and us. They could do with another ST though as Aguero is getting on and has struggled with injuries recently.
3. Chelsea - I think Chelsea have made some good signings so far, Werner and Ziyech are great players, and with how Pulisic is progressing, I can see them having a good season. Still someway off the top 2 though.
4. Wolves - Similar to what Scouse said. No Europe so less games, could be a dark horse this season.
5. United - If anything happens to Fernandes, their season is over. He has transformed them this season, but they still have some work to do.
6. Arsenal - No signs of any defensive signings so far which will really hurt them.
7. Spurs - Only going backwards under Mourinho.
8. Leicester - No signs of any transfers yet. Vardy is getting on a little now so I think his scoring will start to slow a little.
9. Everton
10. Southampton
11. Sheffield United - 2nd season syndrome. Wont hit them too hard I dont think, but still wont be as good as this season.
12. Brighton - Predicting Brighton's highest finish in the top flight (I think?).
13. Burnley
14. Newcastle
15. Leeds
16. Crystal Palace
17. West Ham
18. West Brom
19. Fulham - They will have learnt from their mistakes late time they were promoted, but still dont see them staying up.
20. Aston Villa - Fortunate to stay up last season. Cant see them getting as lucky this season.

It will be interesting to see who finishes top scorer too this season. Vardy and Auba are starting to get on a little bit, the way Mou sets up Spurs wont lead to Kane scoring loads. There genuinely arent any STs I would call "World Class" in the premiership at the moment. It will probably be some like Sterling or Mane who get it I think.

..... 5. United - If anything happens to Fernandes, their season is over. He has transformed them this season .....

Bruno Fernandes.

Commonly known as the 'Portuguese Decorator' for all the massive cracks he keeps papering over at Utd. ;)

12. Brighton - Predicting Brighton's highest finish in the top flight (I think?). .....

If that beats what Hughton's side finished their first season back up then it would be. Remember that was their best ever top-flight finish.

Hopefuly you get to attend that one next season mate but I honestly arent optimisticl we'll be back at grounds at all in the coming season. Or even if next season will finish in full. :cry:

..... It will be interesting to see who finishes top scorer too this season. Vardy and Auba are starting to get on a little bit, the way Mou sets up Spurs wont lead to Kane scoring loads. There genuinely arent any STs I would call "World Class" in the premiership at the moment. It will probably be some like Sterling or Mane who get it I think.

You can never go far wrong with Mo, but I'd have a sneaky bet on Bobby.

Lest we forget the last time he had such a low scoring output he bounced straight back with a near 30-goal season.

Last edited:

Profile photo, opens profile page on Twitter in a new tab

Sheffield United

@SheffieldUnited

Sheffield United’s new No.1

?

Welcome back, @AaronRamsdale98

✍️

How does football continue to get the simple things so spectacularly wrong?

If you can't provide the product to a live, in-person audience, you have a duty to make sure they can view it another way. How hard is this for them to comprehend?

How does football continue to get the simple things so spectacularly wrong?

If you can't provide the product to a live, in-person audience, you have a duty to make sure they can view it another way. How hard is this for them to comprehend?
Not like there’s not enough channels lol

Witf are they still going to be playing international friendlies ??‍♂️??‍♂️

Related-

These schedules look crazy, but then what's the alternative? International tournaments are like the Olympics, most players will only get 1-2 opportunities in a lifetime to qualify and play, so they would insist on playing no matter what.