The Pride of the North East - A Middlesbrough Story

Nice story mate, I like what you're doing with English players. Did this Brazilian come through your academy? I ask because I want me some of that for my Yeovil save! Our youth recruitment is improving but we only get English players coming through. I heard in the news a while back that Middlesbrough had a link with a Brazilian club, are they a feeder club in game as well?

Yeah he came through my academy in the first season which is great as he's classed as home grown by the club. We do have a feeder team from Brazil, from what I remember they are called Ituano!

Been a silent reader of your Yeovil save and I'm very impressed, keep up the good work!

View attachment 414165

Club Statement

The club would like to release the following statement from manager Michael Henson after the recent events surrounding his future at the club.

"First of all I'd like to assure all the Middlesbrough fans that I'm not going anywhere until I've made Middlesbrough the greatest team in the world which is going to take a lot of hard work.

I've seen the statement Manchester United released and I'll admit that I went down to Old Trafford for an interview and was told that I was their number one target due to the work I've been doing since July 2013. I think it's a massive shame that a club of their size has to lie to their fans about bringing in Malky Mackay as their number one target but they are a sinking ship.

My focus is now on the opening day of the season against Newcastle United and will also be on the European Super Cup game against Chelsea as well.

To sign off I'd like to say a big thankyou to Steve Gibson and the board of directors here who have shown great faith in me and I'll be entering discussions to extend my current deal towards the end of the season."

View attachment 413049

August 2017

View attachment 413048

It was a disappointing start to the season when we lost to local rivals Newcastle at St James' Park but we bounced back quickly with a 3-2 win over QPR on the Wednesday as the game was rearranged due to our participation in the European Super Cup. We finished the month off at the Riverside with a 2-1 win over Swansea to give us a confidence boost ahead of the game against Chelsea on the 1st September.

Squad Stats

View attachment 413047

Player of the Month - Tom Ince

View attachment 413046

A great start to the new season for last year's Player of the Year as he opened his account with a double against QPR.

League Table

View attachment 413045

A better start compared to previous years as we lie in 5th position but have played a game more than most teams in the league.

Club News

View attachment 413044

The game against QPR was my 200th in charge of Middlesbrough. Here's to the next 100 games!

View attachment 413043

A massive reward for my transfer policy as we have 20 players called up for international duty for England in the three teams they have. We're halfway towards our aim as well with five players being called up to the main team.

View attachment 515686

View attachment 413042

Ahead of the European Super Cup tonight, the draw for the 2017/18 Europa League has been made and it is a relatively easy group for reigning champions Middlesbrough.

View attachment 413041

Boro, who take on Chelsea tonight in the European Super Cup, have been drawn against Basel (SUI), FK Austria Wien (AUT) and Mainz (GER) and avoided some of the bigger teams in the draw.

View attachment 413040

They will open their defence of the Europa League with a home game against FK Austria Wien before taking on Swiss side Basel. A back to back fixture with Mainz follows before the reverse fixtures against FK Austria Wien and Basel.

View attachment 412582

September 2017

View attachment 412581

A very mixed month for Middlesbrough which saw us take part in only two league games. I felt we should have won both and was very annoyed with the defeat away to Brighton. The opening game was a tough one as we took on Chelsea in the European Super Cup and I was happy with the way we performed and continued the good performances after the international break with two wins over Hull and FK Austria Wien. To finish off the month I played my rotation players to get them some game time and they were outclassed against Arsenal's first team.

Squad Stats

View attachment 412577

Player of the Month

No one stood out for me.

League Table

View attachment 412576

We've slipped down to 9th in the league so I'm hoping we can get a few wins in October and move back up to the European places.

Club News

View attachment 412575

Similar to the Tranmere link, we've now got a link with Plymouth where we can send loan players to them and have first choice on their young players.

View attachment 412573

October 2017

View attachment 412572

A very frustrating month for me despite only losing one game. It started off well with two solid 3-0 wins over Stoke and Basel before a nightmare game against Everton. We were 3-0 when we decided to collapse and award them three sloppy goals, next was Manchester City and we we completely demolished as they showed their class. The final two games were very frustrating as well as Mainz held us to a 2-2 draw and then we nearly won at Chelsea but had to settle for a point.

Squad Stats

View attachment 412570

Player of the Month - Charlie Austin

View attachment 412569

Charlie led the line excellently this month and managed to add four goals to his tally for this season.

League Table

View attachment 412568

We've moved up a place to 8th in the league and a win could take us up to 4th, which is where I want to be at the end of the season.

View attachment 412560

November 2017

View attachment 412557

Another month with one defeat, I'm hoping one of these months will be an undefeated one soon! An early kick off started the month and we dispatched of Tottenham easily before once again Mainz held us to a draw - we had 65% possession and 19 shots. A quick turnaround from the Europa League saw us lose to West Brom before a prolonged break to the match against Cardiff which was an 11 goal thriller! The month ended on a high note as we qualified for the next round of the Europa League with a win away at FK Austria Wien.

Squad Stats

View attachment 412547

View attachment 412546

A second award in two months for Charlie as he fires in six goals in five games.

League Table

View attachment 412545

Another month passes and we moved another place up the league. We are still a win off 4th position which is pleasing.

View attachment 408785

December 2017

View attachment 408784

A very solid month for Middlesbrough as we only lost one of the eight games played but it was a disappointing defeat as we lost to Reading in the league. It started off with a fantastic win over Wigan before a win over Southampton three days later. We quickly got over the Reading defeat with a win over Basel with our second team before hammering Liverpool at Anfield in the Premier League. We then saw out the month with two satisfying draws against Manchester United and Arsenal and then a win against Fulham.

Squad Stats

View attachment 408767

Player of the Month - Jerome Sinclair

View attachment 408766

Jerome added five goals to his tally for the season including a double against former club Liverpool.

League Table

View attachment 408764

We're three points clear of 5th place but also still in touch with the leaders of the Premier League.

View attachment 524942

Europa League 1st Knockout Round Draw

View attachment 408732

Reigning champions Middlesbrough face an away tie in the First Leg of the 1st Knockout Round when they travel to Holland to take on AZ.

This will the favour the English side as they will look to get an away goal and then secure the win at the Riverside.

View attachment 406265

January 2018

Transfers

Dan Burn - Celtic

View attachment 406264

I let Dan Burn go as he hasn't been getting into the side recently with the form of Dane Burke and Harry Maguire being so impressive so when Celtic offered ?2m I snapped their hands off.

Ben Gibson - Celtic

View attachment 406263

Celtic love going after our players! I tried to extend his contract but he wanted nearly ?50,000 a week so he will leave on a free at the end of the season.

Results

View attachment 406262

Finally we have a month where we win every game! What an unbelieveable month it was as well as we win eight out of eight games. It started off with a late victory over Swansea on New Year's Day before taking on Crystal Palace in the FA Cup with a weakened squad but we dispatched of them easily. Newcastle then took us on at the Riverside live on Sky and it was an easy game in which we won 3-0. Victories against Hull, QPR and Stoke followed in the league and a win against Everton in the FA Cup means we still have a chance of winning that competition!

Squad Stats

View attachment 406261

Player of the Month - The Whole Team

View attachment 406265

There wasn't a player who didn't play well this month so the award goes to each and every one of them.

League Table

View attachment 406260

A wonderful month in the league allows us to remain in 4th position. We are 10 points off Arsenal in 5th and 3 points off Chelsea in 2nd so I think Champions League football next season is a possibility.

Club News

View attachment 406258
View attachment 406256

After speculation at the start of the season that I may be leaving for Manchester United, I've signed a 3 year contract extension which will see me stay at the club until at least June 2022.

View attachment 405255

February 2018

View attachment 405254

Another month goes by without defeat and I'm enjoying the football we are playing. It started off with a 5-0 demolition of Brighton before taking on Everton at the Riverside in an exciting match in which we won 4-3. A draw with Chelsea was days before a win in the FA Cup against Cardiff so it was pleasing to get both of those results. Finally we saw out the month by getting an away goal against AZ before cancelling out Manchester City in a 0-0 draw.

Squad Stats

View attachment 405253

View attachment 405252

Four goals from Charlie this month including a hat trick against Everton in the 4-3 win.

League Table

View attachment 405251

We are still in 4th position and it's looking ever more likely that we'll be in the Champions League next season.

View attachment 404398

March 2018

View attachment 404397

Another solid month where we remain unbeaten and progress in two different cup competitions. It started off with an away goals victory against AZ in the Europa League and was followed up with a 5-1 aggregate win over Napoli in the next round. We also progressed in the FA Cup after we beat Arsenal at the Emirates with a solid 3-1 win. Three wins in the Premier League completed the month as we won all three games 2-1!

Squad Stats

View attachment 404383

Player of the Month - Jerome Sinclair

View attachment 404382

Jerome performed excellently this month and added two goals as he helped keep the club in the Champions League places.

League Table

View attachment 404380

The three league wins see us remain in 4th place and it would be great if we could move into 3rd to get automatic qualification into the Champions League.

Club News

View attachment 404376

View attachment 404375

View attachment 404374

View attachment 404366

April 2018

View attachment 404365

This unbeaten run we are on is quite simply amazing. We had a fixture build up this month due to our cup exploits but we still only draw one of the games but it was enough to see us qualify for the Europa League semi-finals after beating AC Milan over two legs. In April as well we had another FA Cup game and this time it was the semi-final and we easily overcame Norwich to set up an FA Cup final against Chelsea. We played five league games this month and comfortably won all of them to qualify for the 2018/19 Champions League Group Stages!

View attachment 404363

Squad Stats

View attachment 404362

Player of the Month - Elliott Bennett

View attachment 404361

Elliott may not be the first choice right winger but with Nathan Redmond out injured he has stepped up to the plate.

League Table

View attachment 404360

A solid month in the league sees us qualify for the Champions League Group Stages and moves us up to 2nd in the league!

Club News

View attachment 404359

View attachment 404346

May 2018

View attachment 404344

Three games this month before our two cup finals against Chelsea, first in the Europa League and then the FA Cup. The league went down to the final game of the season against Manchester United and we came out on top in a 1-0 win but where did we finish?

Squad Stats

View attachment 404342

Player of the Month - The Team

View attachment 404346

A fantastic effort from them as we finished off the season in style!

League Table

View attachment 404339

Following the 1-0 win over Manchester United we won the Premier League! Chelsea faced Hull on the final day of the season and got beat so it meant that we won the title for the first time in our history! Unbelieveable scenes!

View attachment 404338

View attachment 404337

View attachment 404336

View attachment 404335

View attachment 404334

Club News

View attachment 404333