• Thread starter Thread starter eddybw
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 988
  • Views Views 106K
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, good away win there mate, you should see them off in the next game

well, good away win there mate, you should see them off in the next game

Yeh cheers buddy, they were rampant in the second half but I had 5 clear cut chances and could have been well and truly clear, as Vidic gets older he seems to lose attributes like corners and improves in marking he is well and truly one of the best defenders on this game.

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

United travel to Anfield to tough encounter

Sunday 18th January 2015

bbcsport1u-1.png

linebreak.png

11-2.png

linebreak.png

676.png
680.png

LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER UNITED

Liverpoollineup-1.png
Unitedvspool-1.png

linebreak.png

Live from Anfield, Liverpool

_anfield.jpg

Good afternoon, I'm Gary Lineker and welcome to Match of the Days exclusive coverage of a highly anticipated match between the two most successful English clubs, in Manchester United vs Liverpool. We are here at Anfield where there is already an incredible atmosphere with 'You'll Never Walk Alone' sounding around the stadium.

I'm Here joined by Alan Hansen, Mark Lawrenson and usual Sky Sports pundit Jamie Redknapp has joined us, we will be looking at the game and what chances both teams have ahead of the match. With Manchester United winning the reverse fixture extremely confidently in a 2 - 0 victory that could have been much much more. Once again ahead of the match Rafa Benitez has spoken out saying that he believes that Manchester United have been getting favourable decisions and that Liverpool can defeat them today. What do you make of both teams chances today Alan?

_46959890_hansen_hughes_still.jpg

Well, Liverpool have been in good for as of late, and it looks like Rafa has sorted out their problems as they seem to be more free scoring, they did however slip up away in the League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg and drew 0 - 0 but they should win that an Anfield. Today should be an incredibly exciting match though, both teams will be looking to get on the front foot. I know Manchester United are in great form but if they have another performance like they did against Blackburn then there is every chance that Liverpool can win today.

Liverpool have been relying on goals from all over the park rather than relying on their strikers with Llorente only scoring 12 goals in 27 matches. This is not good enough for a striker who leads the line by themselves. Although with Stephen Gerrard rumoured to not being completely happy with the return of Benitez and feeling that he is not leading the team in it's best interest.

linebreak.png

676.png

Liverpool Lineup:

Liverpoollineup-2.png

Subs: B Amos, M Rodriguez, T Cleverley, L Barrios, D Wilson, S Gerrard, D Santon

linebreak.png

So Glenn Johnson, Luka Modric and Alexis Sanchez return to the starting line up, in their 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 formation with Fernando once again leading the front line. Luka Modric will be the man that Rafa will be hoping to pull all the strings in midfield with this being a fantastic opportunity to put one over on their fiercest rivals. They will no doubt be looking for Alexis Sanchez and Luis Suarez to work the flanks and get forward at every opportunity. This will allow them to try and force Cristiano Ronaldo and Nani to be pinned back.

Rafa Pre Match
image-1-for-maxi-rodriguez-at-liverpool-fc-gallery-697543801.jpg

Rafa Benitez said:
"Today is the day that we put one over on Manchester United, this is our opportunity we are in Anfield and I want the fans to create a fantastic atmosphere so the United players can't cope with the pressure. We are delighted to have three of our stars back in the starting 11 and I feel with Alexis and Luka in the attacking side of the team we will look to get at them with the team that we have."

linebreak.png

680.png

Manchester United Lineup:

Unitedvspool.png

Subs: Boakye, A Valencia, M Carrick, P Evra, A King, D Berbatov, S Merritt

linebreak.png

Manchester United name their strongest lineup after resting some key players against Tottenham in midweek. This is the team that won 2 - 0 against Liverpool at Old Trafford and Sir Ryan Giggs no doubt has confidence that his team can once again defeat them but this time on their own turf. With Nani and Wayne Rooney at the top of the form chart for United over the last 5 games they will be looking for these to have a positive influence once again. Jamie what do you make of both teams chances today?

Jamie-Redknapp-001.jpg

Liverpool look dangerous with their lineup, I like the look of Suarez and Sanchez on either wing, both pacey characters and will no doubt be looking at getting at the United full backs at every opportunity. I do think that Gareth Bale is not the best defensively so this Sanchez could cause him some problems today, but I think it's important that they don't go too gungho against United as well know how dangerous they can be on the counter.

Sir Ryan Pre Match
808e9378926845c68205f16dac7dc24d-1-1.jpg

Sir Ryan Giggs said:
"Liverpool will no doubt be a different challenge at Anfield today but I feel suitably prepared. I have plans to deal with their additions to their squad, Gustavo has come on leaps and bounds since he was thrown into this fixture back in September. Liverpool might be confident but I know that we can cope with any of the pressure that they put us under. Nemanja has been in fantastic form recently and I know that if we are under pressure then he will be able to cope with it."

linebreak.png

bbcsport1u-1-1.png

Liverpool vs Manchester United - Live Commentary

1558: Hello and welcome to BBC Sports coverage of Liverpool's clash with Manchester United, as the late kick off on Sunday. With this match being the first game of 2015 there is no doubt that both teams will want to get the year started with a win over their closest rivals.

1601: Wayne Rooney and Chicharito get us under way here in our late Sunday kick off.

1603: Manchester United already pushing forward, Wayne Rooney fires a powerful shot at goal for it to be deflected out for a throw - already a great start.

1603: What a chance for United - a great flowing move starting from the back goes into
IMG_0027-1.jpg

midfield with Amaya and Jones exchanging passes before Jones makes the killer pass playing Bale clean through as he continued his run from left back to fire a shot at goal. Reina can only parry it into the path of Wayne Rooney who in turn fires a powerful shot that goes off the post and out for a throw.

1606: Liverpool with an immediate reply with Fernando Llorente being played through by Glenn Johnson for Jonny Evans to make a fantastic last ditch challenge - great start to this one.

1609: Liverpool again get forward well, with Fernando Llorente running into a dead end before playing it back for Raul Meireles to shoot just over the bar. Liverpool growing into this one.

BBC Radio 5 Live Analyst Pat Nevin: "Liverpool looking better now, working the ball
IMG_0030.jpg

well through exploiting the high line of Manchester United, Fernando Llorente is looking dangerous in the early stages of the match."

1615: GOALFLASH Liverpool 0 - 1 Man Utd (Chicharito)
United goal:
Manchester United back with a vengeance as Nani works the ball extremely
IMG_0026.jpg

well down the left flank taking it straight around Glenn Johnson before whipping in a fantastic cross for Chicharito to slot home a sliding finish from inside the 6 yard box.

1620: Manchester United really dominating the game now, with Gustavo Amaya and Marc Jones bossing the midfield.

1627: GOALFLASH Liverpool 0 - 2 Man Utd (Chicharito)
United goal
Excellent counter attacking move from the Red Devils, they are looking so dangerous
IMG_0026.jpg

today Liverpool can't cope. Rafael gets down the right flank brilliantly after receiving the ball from Marc Jones before whipping in a great cross to Chicharito to control the ball and fire the ball in at the near post. 2 - 0 United - Liverpool really looking to struggle now.

1635: United again pushing forward and looking dangerous with Cristiano Ronaldo narrowly getting caught offside having placed the ball into the back of the net.

1640: GOALFLASH Liverpool 1 - 2 Man Utd (Llorente)
Liverpool goal:
Howler from the United keeper, he comes out to collect a ball when he should
IMG_0026.jpg

have stayed on his line, Fernando Llorente takes it around him and slots into an empty net. What a time to score just before half time.

1646: Half-time Liverpool 1 - 2 Man Utd
BBC Sport's Phil McNulty at Anfield: "United should be clear, but a howler from their young
IMG_0029.jpg

keeper gives Liverpool a way into this game. Suarez and Sanchez have been woeful so far, United's full backs are pushing forward to far for them to get involved. Rafa has to change something."

BBC Radio 5 live summariser Pat Nevin: "Manchester United are really getting success down the
IMG_0030.jpg

flanks and if the game continues in the same vein then I am sure that United will get another."

1702: Manchester United win a corner Marc Jones steps up...

1705: GOALFLASH Liverpool 1 - 3 Man Utd (Shawcross o.g)
United goal:
Not sure how this is going down as a Shawcross own goal, but Marc Jones picks up
IMG_0026.jpg

the ball on the edge of the area fires a powerful shot at goal that takes a deflection off Ryan Shawcross to go into the back of the net, odd decision that one.

1710: Liverpool try to get back into the game with a long ranged effort but just over from Maxi.

1720: GOALFLASH Liverpool 1 - 4 Man Utd (Rooney)
United goal:
Game - set and match for United there Nani works the ball again
IMG_0026.jpg

down the left flank tearing Glenn Johnson to shreds before putting a devilish ball into the 6 yard box for Wayne Rooney to slide in a poachers effort - Liverpool have looked awful today.

1730: With the game over, Manchester United are running the game out keeping possession, fabulous performance from Sir Ryan's men today, well and truly put Liverpool to the sword in their own patch.

1740: Full-time Liverpool 1 - 4 Man Utd
Easy victory for United today, once again Liverpool looked woeful and several divisions lower's
IMG_0025.jpg

worth of quality. It could have been more but Liverpool managed to hang on, Rafa has alot to answer for here.

Sunday 18th January 2015
11.png

EPL - Match Day 23
Liverpool
676.png
1 - 4
680.png
Man Utd

Fernando Llorente (44) - Chicharito (16, 29), Ryan Shawcross own goal (53), Wayne Rooney (72)

6ca763a1172d6b5e03e82591ec9b-grande.jpg

MoM: Nani (8.8)

---------- Post added at 05:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

Holloway appointed West Brom Boss

Wednesday 21st January 2015

28228.png

Championship side West Bromwich Albion have appointed Ian Holloway as their new manager today. The Baggies were currently lying in 10th place in the Championship and are once again looking for a way back into the Premiership after being relegated in 2011, they have chosen the charismatic Ian Holloway as the man to lead them forward.

Ian_Holloway_1.jpg

Since being removed from Blackpool boss in October 2011 Ian has had a spell with Leeds from 2012 to 2014, where he managed to lead them into the Championship playoffs but they suffered defeat to Middlesbrough who have struggled immensely this season.

Ian Holloway on being appointed said. "It is a fantastic opportunity to be the man to lead West Brom forward, they are a great club with a great history and promotion is still achievable for us this season."

Last edited:
Read the tottenham update earlier and forgot to comment! :) thought that was another good result :) Berbatov typically scoring past spurs! Your Liverpool update! well its as phenominal as the others my friend!Nice to see Holloway still battling on! what a man! i have just sat here and took about 5minutes to read it! but wow! Im glad i did once again! the detail you've paid to the game and the story is immense! No wonder its the best story on here! keep this up my friend! wonderful! Pure Brilliance! :)

Read the tottenham update earlier and forgot to comment! :) thought that was another good result :) Berbatov typically scoring past spurs! Your Liverpool update! well its as phenominal as the others my friend!Nice to see Holloway still battling on! what a man! i have just sat here and took about 5minutes to read it! but wow! Im glad i did once again! the detail you've paid to the game and the story is immense! No wonder its the best story on here! keep this up my friend! wonderful! Pure Brilliance! :)

Cheers buddy, love the feedback :) will get some more updates tomorrow.

Always here for your updates mate :) love them! :D just done my carling cup draw bud! :) thats me done today! wont be many updates tomorrow as im occupied for the majority of the day! but saturday i shall be back up to speed :)

Always here for your updates mate :) love them! :D just done my carling cup draw bud! :) thats me done today! wont be many updates tomorrow as im occupied for the majority of the day! but saturday i shall be back up to speed :)

I'll pop over and look in a bit, yeh I'm always thinking of new ideas of what I can do to keep interest up!

excellent update.

Cheers buddy, will have some more today as well :)

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

United look to finish month strongly

Saturday 24th January 2015

680.png

After winning comfortably over Liverpool at Anfield last Sunday and will no doubt be looking forward to the prospect of reaching another League Cup Semi Final when they face Tottenham on the coming Tuesday, the question people are asking is whether United will be naming a weakened team against West Ham today in the league. West Ham have been performing well so far in the league and find themselves in the 11th position in the table.

West Ham boss David Suazo has doubted Manchester United's chances saying.

David Suazo said:
"Sir Ryan Giggs has got a tough challenge ahead of him, if he thinks he can repeat the success that they had last year, then he's got another thing coming, there are alot of games between now and the end of the season and anything can happen. I honestly fancy us against them today, their mind will be on the weekday tie again Tottenham so maybe we can exploit that and take advantage. We are hoping to get an early goal to put them on the back foot."

So with David Suazo talking up West Ham's chances against Manchester United today there is no doubt that his team are fired up and ready for action against the Red Devils today, a team that have already played over 40 matches this season as we approach the end of February.

11.png

EPL - Match Day 24
West Ham
735.png
1 - 4
680.png
Man Utd

Carlton Cole (10) - Wayne Rooney (35, 67), Gustavo Amaya (44), Sam Merritt (72)
redcard.png
Nemanja Vidic sent off (37)
redcard.png
Demba Ba sent off (57)

W Rooney - Chicharito

Nani - G Amaya - M Jones - C Ronaldo

G Bale - J Evans -
redcard.png
N Vidic (c) - Rafael

J Campodonico

Rafael-shout.jpg

MoM: Rafael (8.8)

In pre match David Suazo spoke of his team wanting to get off to a quick start and his team certainly achieved that when Carlton Cole grabbed a close range header after beating Jonny Evans in the air at the far post. Manchester United look somewhat complacent in the early stages but they grabbed a goal back in the 35th minute after Marc Jones played a great ball for Wayne Rooney who ran forward and fired a powerful equaliser past the despairing Robert Green. Manchester United were soon down to 10 men as Nemanja Vidic was beaten for pace by Carlton Cole and put in a tackle from behind and didn't get the ball, the ref had no decision but to send him to the stands.

3736969322-30112010215620.jpg

Carlton Cole got West Ham off to a flyer

With just 10 men left on the pitch Sir Ryan Giggs brought on the young Sam Merritt to replace Chicharito leaving just Wayne Rooney up front, and not surprisingly it was in fact the Red Devils who managed to carve out and score an opportunity after being a man down thanks to young Mexican Gustavo Amaya powering in a long ranged effort past Robert Green from the edge of the area. West Ham were then reduced to 10 men after Demba Ba went in hard on Wayne Rooney as he attempted to track back, and United didn't waste any time in capitalising with Wayne Rooney scoring a poachers effort from a fantastic Rafael cross. Sam Merritt then capped a fantastic substitute appearance when Cristiano Ronaldo put in a fantastic set piece to the far post for Sam to jump the highest and power a header into the back of the net.

Sir Ryan Giggs said:
"(on Vidic red card) I'm not sure if that was a red card from what the players saw they said that he got part of it, so I will be looking at appealing the decision. But none the less I am delighted with my teams performance today, we went down to 10 men and we fought back magnificently the work ethic amongst the lads was incredible today, and as soon as West Ham were down to 10 we showed our true quality and grabbed two more.

(on Sam Merritt) He is an incredible talent, at the age of 16 we have a boy who can step into the front line and put in performances like that, he has been in fantastic form this season, and will be starting against Spurs in midweek. This boy is definitely the future of England and Manchester United it's exciting times."

linebreak.png

28228.png

United face Spurs in League Cup Semi Final
Second Leg Clash

Tuesday 27th January 2015

680.png
728.png

First Leg Result

Tottenham
728.png
0 - 2
680.png
Man Utd

Manchester United approach their Second Leg tie in the League Cup Semi Final at Old Trafford, where they will be looking on building on their strong performance at White Hart Lane where they managed to achieve a sensational 2 - 0 away win thanks to a star performance from Nemanja Vidic. Stuart Pearce's Tottenham will no doubt be up for the challenge after seeing that the United star defender is missing through suspension, after receiving a red card in the Red Devil's last match.

808e9378926845c68205f16dac7dc24d-1-1.jpg

Sir Ryan Giggs said:
"I am looking to bring in a few new faces just to keep things fresh, Fabio Coentrao will be coming in with Andy King in midfield. Having mentioned before Sam Merritt will be starting for us in defence alongside Jonny Evans, as I feel it's always important to have a blend of experience and youth. Other than that I've named many first team players because I feel that it's going to be important for us to not get complacent and win today."

680.png

J Campodonico

Rafael - S Merritt - J Evans - F Coentrao

C Ronaldo - M Jones - A King - Nani

Chicharito - W Rooney (c)

vs

728.png

R Lewandowski - C Tevez

M Marin - W Palacios - S de Jong - A Lennon

A Kolarov - M Dawson (c) - R Juhasz - K Walker

Gomes

So Carlos Tevez returns to the Tottenham line up ahead of the clash against his former side Manchester United. Marko Marin also comes in for Spurs as they look to get forward and really put this United back line under pressure. The only other change to the lineup that faced the Red Devils previously is Kolarov coming in at left back for them. Both teams will no doubt fancy their chances today, with United obviously feeling comfortable after their 2 - 0 away win in the first leg.

England-U21-Training-and--007.jpg

Stuart Pearce said:
"Today is a going to be a fantastic, I am looking forward to the challenge we need to take them game to them and put pressure on their inexperienced centre back Sam Merritt. Marko comes back in for us after performing well in the week and I look forward to see him getting at young Rafael at right back for United. I really think we can get something out of this game, I think it pays us a lot of compliments to us with them lining up with their sensational attacking quartet of Ronaldo, Nani, Chicharito and of course Wayne. This is going to be a tough match but we can win today.

linebreak.png

Sky_Sports-1.png

6 of the best from United

680.png

carling.png

Tuesday 27th January 2015
League Cup - Semi Final 2nd Leg
Man Utd
680.png
6 (8)
- (1) 1
728.png
Tottenham

Cristiano Ronaldo (7), Wayne Rooney (41), Chicharito (67, 72), Boakye (75), Marc Jones (79) - Markon Marin (45+2)

(MANCHESTER UNITED WIN 8 - 1 ON AGGREGATE)

In a match that was billed as a close affair, it certainly didn't materialise that way with Manchester United romping to an incredible 6 - 1 victory against Tottenham at Old Trafford today. The scoring was opened in the 7th minute after Cristiano Ronaldo picked up the ball from a rebounded Chicharito effort to score from an incredibly tight angle. Wayne Rooney then made it 2 after some wonderful work down the right flank from Cristiano Ronaldo and Chicharito, who eventually flicked the ball into to Wayne to smash a powerful effort past Gomes.

Ronaldo5000426.jpg

Delight: Ronaldo opened the scoring for United as they romped to victory

Tottenham then grabbed a way back into the game when Marko Marin scored in first half injury time to make it 2 - 1, after picking up the ball from Carlos Tevez. As the second half started Tottenham Captain Michael Dawson's error allowed Chicharito to run clean through and tuck away a neat finish. He then completed a brace soon after with another tidy finish from the young Mexican. Substitute Boakye came off the bench to score an incredible strike from the edge of the area that's 8 in 6 for the 21 year old in cup competitions. None other than midfield sensation Marc Jones scored an incredible strike on 79 minutes to make it 6 for United, an emphatic win today for the Red Devils.

Championship Blackpool defeat Liverpool in
League Cup Clash

Wednesday 28th January 2015

28228.png

In a night that everyone expected Liverpool to book their place in the League Cup Final to face fierce rivals Manchester United it was an underestimation of Blackpool that cost them dearly. Blackpool wee magnificent in knocking out Rafa's Liverpool, who had looked incredibly strong in the previous rounds. The Tangerines dominated possession for long periods and eventually broke the deadlock in the 26th minute when defensive midfielder Keithern Southern scored a memorable strike from 18 yards. He looked delighted with the effort.

t1larg.jpg

Broken: Liverpool looked broken men after suffering their shock defeat to Blackpool

Blackpool boss Peter Reid was delighted to win against a strong Liverpool side, "What a performance from the lads today, no-one expected us to get anything at all from the game today, and judging from the Liverpool line up they really wanted to win this came, it's a fantastic day for everyone associated with Blackpool and I hope I can bring them more success against Manchester United in the final."

Rafa Benitez openly criticised his players after their poor performance, "I didn't expect that, if you analyse the goal it's a travesty that he wasn't closed down, this was a chance for success. I am not happy with the team, they need to improve and we need to improve on what we have already achieved so far this season. I understand I am under pressure and we are looking at ways we can improve."

Much easier final than it could of been, Great result against Tottenham too! Hopefully thats a 2nd league cup for Ryan Giggs :D

Much easier final than it could of been, Great result against Tottenham too! Hopefully thats a 2nd league cup for Ryan Giggs :D

Lol if you look at my record vs Liverpool I dont really fear them to be honest :) but I'll be naming a young team in the final to show 'you can win with kids' lol

Aha yeah I guess so, I dont have as good of a record against them so didnt think about it properly :P much easier opposition never the less.

Aha yeah I guess so, I dont have as good of a record against them so didnt think about it properly :P much easier opposition never the less.

I think it's because Rafa Benitez is managing them now, under Dalglish they finished 2nd 3 times in a row, then under Rafa finished 7th, (dalglish retired) lol

And now they realise why they got rid of him first time round XD other than Liverpool and Arsenal I seem to be fine against the rest of the league, only second season though so still got alot of the first team.

Yeh Arsenal seem to be a tricky team to play against, I always play really high line against them and pressure, obviously they can break through but you usually nick the ball and get a goal, thats my way any ways :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back