Tottenham Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Sam
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 141
  • Views Views 7K
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem I have with Redknapp, is that he only looks towards the short-term future at Tottenham, presumably because he isn't planning to stick around for longer than 1-2 years. This results in him searching for experienced players for the most part, such as Gallas, Parker, Forlan, etc, rather than focusing on future stars which we could nurture over time.

Not really surprising, but I really want us to build for the future. Having to re-build the team in a few years doesn't sit well with me.

I think we should be looking at Leandro, personally, at Internacional. Young Striker, and friends with Sandro; maybe the same potential.

That looks as though it could happen, with Internacional being our 'sister club'. Think Redknapp said he want players from the PL that won't have to adapt though, which is very worrying. Not a lot of good strikers available in the prem :/

WOO.

Spurs make first signing of the summer

Harry Redknapp has already pulled off the transfer coup of the summer, sources have told ESPNsoccernet, by snatching Barcelona youngster Cristian Ceballos from under the noses of Chelsea.

Ceballos, 16, was hailed as Barcelona's new superstar four years ago when he became an internet sensation, featuring in a video juggling a ball with Ronaldinho.

However, after a falling out, Barca agreed to release Ceballos, an attacking midfielder, on a free transfer and he was taken to Chelsea for a two week trial.

Ceballos trained at Cobham predominately with Chelsea's youth side, but also trained with Carlo Ancelotti's first-team. In a shock move, he has now reportedly signed a three-year contract at White Hart Lane.

Sources close to the player said: "The boy captained Barca's Under-17's and here we have a proper player, potentially one of the greats if he develops as people think he might.

"He went to Chelsea for two weeks and trained for three days with the first-team before a Champions League game such was the impression he made, but for some strange reason no one seemed to make a decision about him.

"Now, he has signed a three-year contract with Spurs and Harry Redknapp has a player who will be in his first-team within a year."

Tottenham land former Barcelona starlet | Football News | ESPN.co.uk
Spurs make first signing of the summer | Spurs News and Rumours | Tottenham Hotspur News

YouTube - ‪Ronaldinho VS Youngster Cristian Ceballos‬‏

nom.

Seems Tottenham haven't signed him yet.

Guillem Balague Football Website | Spurs trialling Barcelona graduate Ceballos

'Strength in depth' - Step too far with new 25 squad limit?

We've, in recent years, had a very large squad to work with, with backups for our backups, and even backups for those, in some instances. Personally, I believe with the introduction of the 25 squad limit, we should begin to focus more on strengthening our first XI, rather than ensuring we have huge amounts of cover all over the pitch.

I am of course not expecting all of the players listed below to move, but I have listed some price targets I feel could be achievable with some negotiations, and an enormous total at the bottom, showing just how much potential 'dead weight' we have that could be cashed in.

Reluctantly I included Kranjcar, who although I want to stay, looks certain to leave in the summer.

Out:
Defoe - £10 million
Palacios - £8 million
Bentley - £7 million
Bassong - £7 million
Kranjcar - £7 million
Keane - £6 million
Naughton - £5 million
O'Hara - £5 million
Jenas - £3 million
Hutton - £3 million
Giovani - £3 million
Cudicini - £1 million
Woodgate - Retirement/£0
Pletikosa - Loan Expires/£0
Ben Alnwick - Released/£0

Total: £65 million

Ideally, I'd like those players out of the club, but I can't see it happening. The new 25 squad limit rule means that our team, which has always had a comparatively massive squad in recent years, really needs to trim down the players on our wage list.

Promoted to First Team Squad:
Andros Townsend
Kyle Walker
Danny Rose

In:
New Goalkeeper (Akinfeev, Robinson, Al-Habsi...)
New Central Midfielder
New Forward x2 (Cardozo, Lukaku, Leandro, Osvaldo, Sanogo...)

Loaned Elsewhere:
Steven Caulker - Middle/Bottom-Half Premier League Team
Dean Parrett - Upper-Championship Team
Jonathan Obika - Championship Team
John Bostock - Championship Team

Resulting First Team Squad (25):
(3) Goalkeepers: Gomes, [New Goalkeeper], Jansson
(9) Defenders: Walker, Corluka, Kaboul, King, Dawson, Gallas, Khumalo, Assou-Ekotto, Rose
(8) Midfielders: Lennon, Townsend, Huddlestone, Sandro, Modric, [New Central Midfielder], Bale, Pienaar
(5) Forwards: Pavlyuchenko, Crouch, Van der Vaart, [New Forward], [New Forward]

What do you guys think? I struggled to think of potential targets for us, because I didn't want to be unrealistic and start listing those who are already experiencing Champions League football regularly - why would they move to a Europa League team?

We've, in recent years, had a very large squad to work with, with backups for our backups, and even backups for those, in some instances. Personally, I believe with the introduction of the 25 squad limit, we should begin to focus more on strengthening our first XI, rather than ensuring we have huge amounts of cover all over the pitch.

I am of course not expecting all of the players listed below to move, but I have listed some price targets I feel could be achievable with some negotiations, and an enormous total at the bottom, showing just how much potential 'dead weight' we have that could be cashed in.

Reluctantly I included Kranjcar, who although I want to stay, looks certain to leave in the summer.

Out:
Defoe - £10 million
Palacios - £8 million
Bentley - £7 million
Bassong - £7 million
Kranjcar - £7 million
Keane - £6 million
Naughton - £5 million
O'Hara - £5 million
Jenas - £3 million
Hutton - £3 million
Giovani - £3 million
Cudicini - £1 million
Woodgate - Retirement/£0

Ideally, I'd like those players out of the club, but I can't see it happening. The new 25 squad limit rule means that our team, which has always had a comparatively massive squad in recent years, really needs to trim down the players on our wage list.

Andros Townsend
Kyle Walker
Danny Rose

In:
New Central Midfielder

Loaned Elsewhere:

(9) Defenders: Walker, Corluka, Kaboul, King, Dawson, Gallas, Khumalo, Assou-Ekotto, Rose
(8) Midfielders: Lennon, Townsend, Huddlestone, Sandro, Modric, [New Central Midfielder], Bale, Pienaar

What do you guys think? I struggled to think of potential targets for us, because I didn't want to be unrealistic and start listing those who are already experiencing Champions League football regularly - why would they move to a Europa League team?

Pretty sure some of the players you've named in your final 25 wouldn't need to registered due to the Under-21's rule.

Townsend? Rose? Walker? Bale? (Not sure of ages tbh, but not sure if they're over 21)

Out:
Defoe - £10 million
Palacios - £8 million
Bentley - £7 million
Bassong - £7 million
Kranjcar - £7 million
Keane - £6 million
Naughton - £5 million
O'Hara - £5 million
Jenas - £3 million
Hutton - £3 million
Giovani - £3 million
Cudicini - £1 million
Woodgate - Retirement/£0

Andros Townsend
Kyle Walker
Danny Rose

In:
New Central Midfielder

Loaned Elsewhere:

u would keep Gomes :(... personally I would sell him off, his wages are too high tbh for a Reserve Keeper which he will be according to this plan, I would sell the ****** off and get someone like Robert Green who has been quite decent for West Ham all season considering the bollocks of a defence infront of him, plus he will come cheap allowing u to spend more funds on getting that striker

hmm I would say that we could definately get more for Giovani Billy. Apparently hes done rather well on loan at Santander so could be looking at at least 5+ considering his potential. I also can't see us selling Naughton yet after his very successful loan spell at Leicester. I reckon he'll go on loan next season to a prem team and than take Corluka's place the season after leaving Walker and him to battle it out for the RB spot.

This would be my ideal squad for next season:

Robinson, Loach*, Janson.
Walker, Corluka, Kaboul, Dawson, King, Gallas, S. Dann*, BAE, Rose.
Lennon, Townsend, Hudd, Modric, Sandro, O'Hara, Pienaar, Bale
Pav, Defoe, Leandro*, Wickham/Sturridge*

Don't think that we need a new CM. I personally want O'Hara to be given a real shot next season as I consider him to be as good as Parker/Adam. They are very similar and fiesty midfielders and he always tries and gives his all, which is what every team needs in the middle.

Also think that Sturridge is a decent possibility as he recently said that he wanted to leave Chelsea if he doesnt get games. Whether they would sell to us is another matter...

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Carlo extends contract
24 May 2011

The Club is delighted to announce that Carlo Cudicini has signed a one-year contract extension which runs until 2012.

The Italian goalkeeper, who joined us from Chelsea in January 2009, was part of our starting XI that sealed a memorable 3-1 win against European champions Inter Milan in the Champions League group phase earlier this season and has now made a total of 25 appearances for the Club.

Carlo extends contract - News Articles - Tottenhamhotspur.com

Good news. Content with being a reserve keeper and wont get many better.

hmm I would say that we could definately get more for Giovani Billy. Apparently hes done rather well on loan at Santander so could be looking at at least 5+ considering his potential. I also can't see us selling Naughton yet after his very successful loan spell at Leicester. I reckon he'll go on loan next season to a prem team and than take Corluka's place the season after leaving Walker and him to battle it out for the RB spot.

This would be my ideal squad for next season:

Robinson, Loach*, Janson.
Walker, Corluka, Kaboul, Dawson, King, Gallas, S. Dann*, BAE, Rose.
Lennon, Townsend, Hudd, Modric, Sandro, O'Hara, Pienaar, Bale
Pav, Defoe, Leandro*, Wickham/Sturridge*

Don't think that we need a new CM. I personally want O'Hara to be given a real shot next season as I consider him to be as good as Parker/Adam. They are very similar and fiesty midfielders and he always tries and gives his all, which is what every team needs in the middle.

Also think that Sturridge is a decent possibility as he recently said that he wanted to leave Chelsea if he doesnt get games. Whether they would sell to us is another matter...

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Carlo extends contract
24 May 2011

The Club is delighted to announce that Carlo Cudicini has signed a one-year contract extension which runs until 2012.

The Italian goalkeeper, who joined us from Chelsea in January 2009, was part of our starting XI that sealed a memorable 3-1 win against European champions Inter Milan in the Champions League group phase earlier this season and has now made a total of 25 appearances for the Club.

Carlo extends contract - News Articles - Tottenhamhotspur.com

Good news. Content with being a reserve keeper and wont get many better.

Carlo could have easily been a first-choice keeper at many mid-table Prem Clubs in his prime, looks to me like he wasted what was potentially a decent career, although under the circumstances he is the best Reserve Keeper one could have

Think O'Hara is on Adam's level, but not quite Parker's.

However, read on SSN today that he wants to make his move to Wolves permanent as there was a clause in the loan deal and Wolves are looking into it..

Think O'Hara is on Adam's level, but not quite Parker's.

However, read on SSN today that he wants to make his move to Wolves permanent as there was a clause in the loan deal and Wolves are looking into it..

Apparently they have until the end of the week for the clause and if they dont put a formal offer in by then then he remains our player :)

---------- Post added 27/05/2011 at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was 24/05/2011 at 05:57 PM ----------

Was just wondering whether Spurs fans want Redknapp to go and if so, who do you want as a replacement? I want Ancelotti/Moyes :)

So, gentlemen, if we are to sell Modric in this transfer window, then how would you see us setting up next season?

Apparently Jamie O'Hara is going to become a Wolves player next week. Fee agreed, personal terms agreed, just needs to pass a medical but all the relevant paperwork is with the FA according to a general ITK on Twitter.

He's called a lot right this summer already, so he's fairly reliable - but his word isn't gospel.

O'Hara is moving to Wolves, that has been on the cards for a long time.

I'm thinking:

Friedel
Walker Kaboul Dawson BAE
Lennon Huddlestone Sandro Bale
VDV
Leandro​

O'Hara is moving to Wolves, that has been on the cards for a long time.

I'm thinking:

Friedel
Walker Kaboul Dawson BAE
Lennon Huddlestone Sandro Bale
VDV
Leandro​

Looks about right, although if rumours are true about you going for Parker - I don't see him being left out. Also, Gallas over Kaboul, but maybe that's just me.

Gallas will be 34 years old next season. He's no Maldini.

Much prefer Kaboul getting to grips playing with Dawson, as they will likely be our partnership for a while to come yet, with Ledley's injury problems and the release of Woodgate.

Gallas will be 34 years old next season. He's no Maldini.

Much prefer Kaboul getting to grips playing with Dawson, as they will likely be our partnership for a while to come yet, with Ledley's injury problems and the release of Woodgate.

Not Bassong?

Alex, stop spraying your AVB-induced bitterness all over Tottenham. We're upset at the moment too y'know. ;'(

TheBeardOFZeus said:
Not Bassong?

Certainly not. Kaboul and Dawson are both superior defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back