Transfer Rumour Thread 2011/2012

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 8K
  • Views Views 610K
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Villa overpaid for Downing personally. He's worth £15-20m imo, I've never rated him though really (queue abuse...)

We thought we had too, until this season. He's definitely worth over £15 mil.

Also, *abuse*

I know that, but who he was injured by is inconsequential. He could've got that injury off anyone. His career with England was as good as over with Middlesbrough, and by the time we'd bought him even a young Adam Johnson was rated above him (maybe not by Boro fans, but by the majority of Prem fans I'd reckon). He handed in a transfer request in January. Petrov broke his leg in May. He didn't feature in ONE GAME. If you can't deal with one of your best players being out for one game then frankly, a relegation is deserved.

Pfft. Why? One season of playing well after one of injury and rubbish form does not necessarily mean he deserves Champions League football. He has debts to pay at Villa, since we gave him a shot at the big time once more, nursed him back to health and then gave him another chance after he was ****. Besides, if he wants the ****** Champions League, he can go to a Champions League club. If he does come out and say that and then goes to Liverpool, he deserves all the stick he'll get.

Maybe, but I don't see your point.

Villa don't care where Downing goes, they just want to know if he wants to go. If he does, then we want £20 million minimum for him (my opinion). His roots don't matter. The fact that he's a consummate pro and gives 100% every game only goes to elevate his price.

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

I don't even know what Downing's corner IS. X(

He achieved more International Caps/European runners up medals/European Games at his spell at Middlesbrough than he has even got close to at Aston Villa, and that's what has annoyed me more. I have accepted Boro's decline and I know who to blame and it's not the Chairman/Downing but that's another issue, we want to see him further his career not stall it. Because if we're all living in reality Villa will do well to finish 7th yet alone top 5, his ambitions will be higher than that and maybe it's a case of the fans connection he had with us that he clearly does not have at all with Villa fans...

Completely disagree that hes only had one season in form, he was half crocked and dragged Middlesbrough to a European final a few years ago he is proven on the European stage, He demolished Steau Bucharest single handedly in that semi final 2nd leg of 06...

I know you want the best price for him but I'm just not seeing any willingness to keep him from your side its just a case of holding out and selling him on...

AJ is NOW regarded as better than Downing but if you saw AJ 3 years ago in the reserves you would be singing a different tune (This was pre-where he could pass the ball),

Anyway just thought I'd point out that he wasn't actually playing/squad member of a championship team and he hadn't stalled he has just had a terrible injury record. Hope he does get the move anyway (For whatever Villa are asking), he deserves it more than alot of footballers...

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I think Villa overpaid for Downing personally. He's worth £15-20m imo, I've never rated him though really (queue abuse...)

I said that before, Villa did overpay for him but it was what Middlesbrough were demanding and O'Neil paid it that's why I'm saying 15 million is realistic for him now.

I don't even know what Downing's corner IS. X

Just was expecting people to come on going 'money hunter' and he's rubbish etc, that's the sort of corner I would fight for Downing, brilliant lad and doesn't have the personality of that sort of player and luckily no one insulted him too harshly in regards to his personality/ability...

Last edited:
He achieved more International Caps/European runners up medals/European Games at his spell at Middlesbrough than he has even got close to at Aston Villa, and that's what has annoyed me more. I have accepted Boro's decline and I know who to blame and it's not the Chairman/Downing but that's another issue, we want to see him further his career not stall it. Because if we're all living in reality Villa will do well to finish 7th yet alone top 5, his ambitions will be higher than that and maybe it's a case of the fans connection he had with us that he clearly does not have at all with Villa fans...

Yeah, he also spent about eight years at Middlesbrough, compared to his two at Villa. Downing can further his career by staying at a club that will let him play every game, more or less guaranteeing him a start spot unless his form becomes completely unacceptable. Nobody can tell where Villa will finish this year, thank you very much, we could come fourth for all we know. (Before anyone jumps on me, I'm saying it's possible, not likely) The quality is there and we've got a chairman who's likely to invest. I'll get back to your last sentence later.

Completely disagree that hes only had one season in form, he was half crocked and dragged Middlesbrough to a European final a few years ago he is proven on the European stage, He demolished Steau Bucharest single handedly in that semi final 2nd leg of 06...

One season in form recently. Besides, destroying Steaua Bucharest in the second leg of a Europa League semi does not mean that you're automatically a CL player: Fulham got to the final of the CL, is Konchesky a CL player?

I know you want the best price for him but I'm just not seeing any willingness to keep him from your side its just a case of holding out and selling him on...

What?! Where did you get this utterly wrong idea from? Do you know ANYTHING about Villa fans? We -really- want to keep him. We love him after last season, in which he was one bright spark in an otherwise pretty dire situation. Go check a Villa forum. We're ****** off that he wants to leave us after all of this, but we'd love it if he stayed.

Yeah, he also spent about eight years at Middlesbrough, compared to his two at Villa. Downing can further his career by staying at a club that will let him play every game, more or less guaranteeing him a start spot unless his form becomes completely unacceptable. Nobody can tell where Villa will finish this year, thank you very much, we could come fourth for all we know. (Before anyone jumps on me, I'm saying it's possible, not likely) The quality is there and we've got a chairman who's likely to invest. I'll get back to your last sentence later.

One season in form recently. Besides, destroying Steaua Bucharest in the second leg of a Europa League semi does not mean that you're automatically a CL player: Fulham got to the final of the CL, is Konchesky a CL player?

What?! Where did you get this utterly wrong idea from? Do you know ANYTHING about Villa fans? We -really- want to keep him. We love him after last season, in which he was one bright spark in an otherwise pretty dire situation. Go check a Villa forum. We're ****** off that he wants to leave us after all of this, but we'd love it if he stayed.

I know but there was never the connection is what I'm saying Cubed, he never was connected in any part of Villa history. I judge players on what they contribute to a clubs history not what paycheque's they earn or clubs they played for when it comes down to it at the end of their career. IF he goes this summer it will be for his own good in footballing terms, he can step it up and start being part of a clubs history again...

Maybe we have different ideas of club history but that's how I judge players. Was Afonso Alves a historical player? Transfer fee wise yes but Club history wise no.

Has Ashley Young/Milner won any trophies at Villa?
Nope.
So they aren't engraved in the club history the way Stewie is with us, Albrighton certainly has the ability to carry Villa forward and become the local boy but all I'm saying is Villa haven't made any sort of mark in the past 2 years and put yourself in Downing's position...You have just seen Young/Milner go over 12 months for huge sums and Bent/Makoun the only re investments and his ambitions are set higher I'm afraid.

I am with you 100 pct on the point about his value, he's an incredibly top winger and is proven at European level, he played there for 3 seasons with Middlesbrough and Beat the likes of the mid 2000's Roma side along the way it was 'lucky' it was in quite a big part down to Downing and his wideplay servicing the ball to the strikers...

Anyway we can agree to disagree but we both say Downing is a fantastic player and deserves the move (For a reasonable fee)

*Forgot the Europa League Konchesky comparison- The trophy means less now than what it did, they way Fulham/Middlesbrough got to the finals was very different...And Stewie helped bring that team through with a ridiculous amount of assists for that tournament

Last edited:
You and I are going to fall out Jimmer. ;)

I know but there was never the connection is what I'm saying Cubed, he never was connected in any part of Villa history. I judge players on what they contribute to a clubs history not what paycheque they earn at the end of their career. IF he goes this summer it will be for his own good in footballing terms, he can step it up and start being part of a clubs history again...

So you somehow equated this to us not wanting him, just because he hasn't won anything with us? This is ridiculous. Also, how are Liverpool any closer to winning a trophy than us? They might be a better team, yeah, but that doesn't necessarily equate to them being better equipped to win trophies.

Maybe we have different ideas of club history but that's how I judge players. Was Afonso Alves a historical player? Transfer fee wise yes but Club history wise no.

I didn't say anything about history. Dunno why you're bringing it up. Downing isn't a club legend, but we still want to keep him.

Has Ashley Young/Milner won any trophies at Villa?
Nope.
So they aren't engraved in the club history the way Stewie is with us, Albrighton certainly has the ability to carry Villa forward and become the local boy but all I'm saying is Villa haven't made any sort of mark in the past 2 years and put yourself in Downing's position...You have just seen Young/Milner go over 12 months for huge sums and Bent/Makoun the only re investments and his ambitions are set higher I'm afraid.

Only investments SO FAR. Frankly, Downing owes us. We took a chance on him to give him an opportunity at returning to the big time and working his way back into the England squad, shelling out 12 mil when he had a broken foot and absorbing six months of terrible form. What does he do to repay us? Immediately decides he's too big for this pond. THAT is our beef with Downing, no more.

I warned you I have red eyes when it comes to Middlesbrough Cubed...

I will say I generally agree on almost every point except the part that he couldn't have found another club when MFC got relegated but that's debatable and we will never know.

Bottom Line: Appreciate Villa shelling out 12 million for a one footed winger who just happens to be one of the few legends we have at the club, also appreciate them paying 2.5 million for Luke Young but that's another story...

Can't agree on your points about Middlesbrough's European runs and I suppose Stewart does owe you a bit, but the modern footballer has no loyalty to any club as people keep saying...
My point of view coming into this was just picking up on the wrong doings of the situation Downing came from, he built his career back up and played a heck of alot of times for England under Mclaren...To be expected you could say and last season he found his form.

My point is coming at it from a purely Middlesbrough fan's perspective, disregarding and ties/neutrality I have, is I really want the best for the local lad and the best way for him to reach the Champions League or European glory is with Liverpool than with Villa at this moment of time, things could change as they often do in football but I would chose Liverpool over Villa right now if I had the choice.

We aired our views, was quite healthy, we agree on alot of points and a couple we don't but I do understand Villa's anger...It's the same anger I felt when Liverpool stole Christian Ziege from us...And I use the term stole delibrately :@

Also I'm not anti Villa at all, post O'Neil I have been far less of a fan mind you, Houlliers football was as it was at Liverpool...Pretty dull and non impulsive.

But yeah sorry if I 'upset' you Cubed but I've seen it from a Villa fans perspective can you look at it from a nosy ex-clubs-fan's-club-legend-perspective? (A)

(If you think I played the 'European History Card' on your *** hard, can you imagine if it was a Liverpool fan tearing into that debate?) oO)

Me and you are going to fall out Jamie ;) .

Would just prefer to be called Jamie that's all fella |)

Last edited:
I warned you I have red eyes when it comes to Middlesbrough Cubed...

Indeed you did, but Downing isn't a Boro player. ;)

I will say I generally agree on almost every point except the part that he couldn't have found another club when MFC got relegated but that's debatable and we will never know.

Might've found another club, but the point remains we were the ones to offer him the chance.

Bottom Line: Appreciate Villa shelling out 12 million for a one footed winger who just happens to be one of the few legends we have at the club, also appreciate them paying 2.5 million for Luke Young but that's another story...

Oh, he was one-footed with you? Isn't any more. Also, lay off Luke Young, he's a beast. :)

Can't agree on your points about Middlesbrough's European runs and I suppose Stewart does owe you a bit, but the modern footballer has no loyalty to any club as people keep saying...

Well exactly.
My point of view coming into this was just picking up on the wrong doings of the situation Downing came from, he built his career back up and played a heck of alot of times for England under Mclaren...To be expected you could say and last season he found his form.

My point is coming at it from a purely Middlesbrough fan's perspective, disregarding and ties/neutrality I have, is I really want the best for the local lad and the best way for him to reach the Champions League or European glory is with Liverpool than with Villa at this moment of time, things could change as they often do in football but I would chose Liverpool over Villa right now if I had the choice.

I would too, if I was neutral, but it's not a HUGE step up. Liverpool just don't have the squad to challenge for the CL, and almost certainly won't for four years (about as long as Downing can continue playing at the very highest level, and frankly if Liverpool do then Downing wouldn't be good enough for their team). In my eyes, it's better to repay a club rather than make a slightly sideways move.

We aired our views, was quite healthy, we agree on alot of points and a couple we don't but I do understand Villa's anger...It's the same anger I felt when Liverpool stole Christian Ziege from us...And I use the term stole delibrately :@

Heh, I won't feel any anger unless Downing is sold for less than £20 mil. I understand where we are in the food chain.

Also I'm not anti Villa at all, Post O'Neil I have been far less of a fan mind you, Houlliers football was as it was at Liverpool...Pretty dull and non impulsive.

You need to watch Villa more mate. Houllier's football was much more intricate and progressive than O'Neill's dour hoofball. It was one of my pet subjects towards the end of last season.

But yeah sorry if I 'upset' you Cubed but I've seen it from a Villa fans perspective can you look at it from a nosy ex-clubs-fan's-club-legend-perspective? (A)

Not upset at all! It's good to have a healthy debate with someone who knows his stuff.

(If you think I played the 'European History Card' on your *** hard, can you imagine if it was a Liverpool fan tearing into that debate?) oO)

If I thought you had, I'd just bring up how many European Cups our respective clubs have won. ;)

Houlliers football ploy did seem to be emphasising the wide men staying wide and swinging the balls in back post, I remember a cracking volley Downing scored for you last year (Vs Liverpool?). I would be cheering on a 25 mill fee if Gibson put in a sell on clause in the Downing deal but I believe it was just an appearance clause so I'm not fussed as long as everyone's happy and Downing can try to do something with his career...

Plus on the last comment...Ouch.

All we have to show for our history is one League Cup and am well aware of other clubs illustrious history (Newcastle pre 1960s), all I have is recent history to gloat/semi gloat about. We've gone from Juninho/Ravannelli to Thomspon/Lita...Give me some sympathy :'(

Houllier...Was it vs Blackpools 2rd/3rd string at Villa Park during a midweek game?

Put me off for the rest of the season that game did with the way Villa lacked a bit of solidarity and creative wit in the final third. Thin that game ended 3-3 was it?

And what other game was it I'm thinking of that I distinctly remember...

The FA cup game vs City at Eastlands, I've been told I remembered the two worst games Villa had last season by a course friend of mine who's a Villa fan but yeah the FA Cup one especially...Villa just didn't turn up.

Anyway back to the Transfer Thread oO)

We need to find a sensible conclusion to this which we all agree with - how about:

Barnet > * (?)

Houlliers football ploy did seem to be emphasising the wide men staying wide and swinging the balls in back post, I remember a cracking volley Downing scored for you last year (Vs Liverpool?). I would be cheering on a 25 mill fee if Gibson put in a sell on clause in the Downing deal but I believe it was just an appearance clause so I'm not fussed as long as everyone's happy and Downing can try to do something with his career...

Ah, except he played Downing and Young as inverted wingers. Against Arsenal away, against Liverpool at home (a game I meant to cover, but couldn't be bothered in the end :P), against Wigan at home, against West Brom away and Stoke at home and a whole host of games I didn't cover, Houllier played wingers that tried to come inside and link play. When Albrighton played he was an out-and-out classical winger admittedly, though that's because that's his style of play.

Plus on the last comment...Ouch.

All we have to show for our history is one League Cup and am well aware of other clubs illustrious history (Newcastle pre 1960s), all I have is recent history to gloat/semi gloat about. We've gone from Juninho/Ravannelli to Thomspon/Lita...Give me some sympathy :'(

Juninho was a god. And don't worry, I prefer gloating to Chelsea and Arsenal fans about it. ;)

Houllier...Was it vs Blackpools 2rd/3rd string at Villa Park during a midweek game?

Put me off for the rest of the season that game did with the way Villa lacked a bit of solidarity and creative wit in the final third. Thin that game ended 3-3 was it?

Ended 3-2 to us, Collins with a late winner. That was a bad game. Our squad was hardly up to our normal standards with Delfouneso, Bannan and Warnock all starting and Young as a trequartista (which just didn't work. Ever.) You caught us at a bad game, there was no end product whatsoever, not to mention the defence, though the latter was an ongoing problem.

And what other game was it I'm thinking of that I distinctly remember...

The FA cup game vs City at Eastlands, I've been told I remembered the two worst games Villa had last season by a course friend of mine who's a Villa fan but yeah the FA Cup one especially...Villa just didn't turn up.

Houllier's Moscow moment. O'Neill played a rubbish team in Moscow against CSKA, and got spanked. Many of the fans turned against him after that. Our team against City was useless, mostly cause it was a second string. Your friend's right though, you picked the two worst possible games to judge Villa on. :P

Back to the thread, methinks. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Villa close on N'Zogbia | Aston Villa News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Skysports.com understands Aston Villa are leading the race to sign Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia.

Villa boss Alex McLeish is a big fan of the Frenchman and tried to sign the player when he was in charge of Birmingham.

Wigan are resigned to losing N'Zogbia with Latics chairman Dave Whelan admitting they will not stand in his way if they receive a suitable offer.

The Frenchman is entering the final year of his contract at the DW Stadium and the player is ready to move on to play at a higher level

McLeish has identified N'Zogbia as one of his top summer transfer targets and he is keen to win the race for his signature.

We called it a tie...I think :S , there's just one set of players I don't like discussing, Middlesbrough former/current players it sets me off down while paths of envy and crudeness.

Just reported this transfer policy regulation in the rest section, breaking news in Italy:

The Italian football federation (FIGC), led by chairman Giancarlo Abete, has ruled that each Serie A club is now allowed to sign two non-EU players for next season.

Cubed...We called it a draw right? XD

By widemen delivering I meant the games I saw Albrighton RW and Downing LW...

Anyway moving on ;)

I would write a paragraph or so giving some details as to what this law means and how much more flexible Italian clubs can now be in the market but tbh I'm extremely tired and have posted enough for one evening...

That Italian non-EU ruling is not only good for Italian teams and Serie A, but for Football Manager!

Hoorah!

That Happened maybe twice mate, Kolarov was our only left back and i think clichy is a suitable backup at 7 million, maybe he will start. We are playing in plenty of competitions next year and this depth we are gaining is superb. Arsenal are the living proof that you need depth, they had a few injuries and dips in form last year and ****** away the carling cup and a serious title challenge.

Don't know if it's been posted, but Stekelenburg has apparently joined Roma for £7.5 million.

Accordig to argie press Lamela is joining Roma with River getting ~13m euros.

According to a guy on Twitter with solid contacts in MUFC, Wes Brown is at Sunderland today for discussions over a move.

@TuftyMUFC

Pretty much yes :) Benfica has been doing a lowsy job confirming players officially, but all the newspappers say the same thing, 5 million euros for 50%. So yes, garay will be a Benfica player, this was pretty much planned a long time ago ;D!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back