Transfer Rumour Thread 2011/2012

• Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 593K
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Sun (I know haha) are reporting we did a deal with Lille of Denilson + £4m for Gervinho.

Would be very happy with that deal if we did it, gets rid of Denilson (who said he wanted to go somewhere with CL football) and doesn't take out too much money from the transfer kitty.

Out of interest Joss, what CB(s) would you like to see, that are realistic choices, move to us?

Ugh.

Well we know that the bit about Wenger not meeting Blackburn's valuation of Jones isn't true. Arsenal and Utd (and Liverpool?) had £16/7m bids accepted and Jones simply chose United partly because of the North-West connection. Cahill isn't worth £16m, neither is Jones really. I'd rather Cahill than Samba, though - I just can't see what the latter brings to us. Good in the air, poor on the ground.

I still think we should be looking for experience, though. Cahill isn't experienced, nor is he a no-nonsense defender. At least Samba has that I suppose. The good thing about missing out on Jones is that it showed we have money which Wenger is willing to spend on a CB, but these two are the wrong targets IMO.

Especially, as I said, people have said we need an experienced, no-nonsense CB, who is a "leader". Neither of those two players have ever won anything before - how is that going to stop us falling away in March?

Its not about having won anything, its abut making sure your more talented players stay focused at the sharp. 50% concession rate from set pieces is something that needs to be dealt with, the way you players seem to buckle under pressure, with no one to guide them needs to be dealt with. Even wenger concedes these two issues otherwise he would not be targeting Jones, and especially not at 16m. I would love to see who you think is the right target

The Sun (I know haha) are reporting we did a deal with Lille of Denilson + £4m for Gervinho.

Would be very happy with that deal if we did it, gets rid of Denilson (who said he wanted to go somewhere with CL football) and doesn't take out too much money from the transfer kitty.

Lille are thick, and thats possibly the deal of the century :D

Out of interest Joss, what CB(s) would you like to see, that are realistic choices, move to us?

He is likely to want you guys to sign a player from frances youth section for 4million and wait 5 years for him to hit his potential... Cause he would be cheap...

To me, Either Samba or Cahill would be class signings for Arsenal.

Its not about having won anything, its abut making sure your more talented players stay focused at the sharp. 50% concession rate from set pieces is something that needs to be dealt with, the way you players seem to buckle under pressure, with no one to guide them needs to be dealt with. Even wenger concedes these two issues otherwise he would not be targeting Jones, and especially not at 16m. I would love to see who you think is the right target

I'm just saying that it seems really hypocritical for people to slam us for not having a winning mentality and then suggest we sign Jones, Samba and Cahill - none of whom have ever won anything. And then people say "well you need an experienced CB" before slamming Wenger for not doing enough to sign a 19 year old Jones.

Of course I understand that we need to address issues like defending set-pieces, but then how is a 5'11 Jones going to help us more than Vermaelen for e.g.? You say we buckle under pressure - what about Cahill? Who's Bolton side were pushing for Europe and ended up not even mid-table. Who crumbled when under pressure in an FA Cup semi.

God knows who the right target is. I'm just going by what other people said before and are saying now.. I wouldn't mind Cahill tbph, although I still don't see how that solves our leadership/buckling under pressure/lack of no-nonsense players problems that everyone seems to keen to point out.

Hangeland? Experienced, not excessive in wages/transfer fees, tall.

@Philly - Sun are confusing Gervinho with Willian for some reason.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

He is likely to want you guys to sign a player from frances youth section for 4million and wait 5 years for him to hit his potential... Cause he would be cheap...

To me, Either Samba or Cahill would be class signings for Arsenal.

Ha! Says a Utd fan whose side have just signed a 19 year old from England's youth system, and seem set to sign a 18 YO CB from the French System. Not my fault your side massively over-pay for talent.

I'm just saying that it seems really hypocritical for people to slam us for not having a winning mentality and then suggest we sign Jones, Samba and Cahill - none of whom have ever won anything. And then people say "well you need an experienced CB" before slamming Wenger for not doing enough to sign a 19 year old Jones.

Of course I understand that we need to address issues like defending set-pieces, but then how is a 5'11 Jones going to help us more than Vermaelen for e.g.? You say we buckle under pressure - what about Cahill? Who's Bolton side were pushing for Europe and ended up not even mid-table. Who crumbled when under pressure in an FA Cup semi.

God knows who the right target is. I'm just going by what other people said before and are saying now.. I wouldn't mind Cahill tbph, although I still don't see how that solves our leadership/buckling under pressure/lack of no-nonsense players problems that everyone seems to keen to point out.

Hangeland? Experienced, not excessive in wages/transfer fees, tall.

@Philly - Sun are confusing Gervinho with Willian for some reason.

As i said before not just about winning stuff,its about keep others heads calm under pressure. The talent is there in the rest, if the likes of samba can stop the silly mistakes from the keep, keep them organised and focused they stand a much better chance

And have you seen jones at set pieces?

None of the targets are perfect fits, yet all are better than leaving it with what you have got

As i said before not just about winning stuff,its about keep others heads calm under pressure. The talent is there in the rest, if the likes of samba can stop the silly mistakes from the keep, keep them organised and focused they stand a much better chance

And have you seen jones at set pieces?

None of the targets are perfect fits, yet all are better than leaving it with what you have got

If you've read what i've said all along - I don't want to leave it as things are. I accept things need working on and I accept we need a new CB.

But then how is Cahill a player who can keep his team-mates calm under pressure? As I said, they fell from pushing for Europe to 14th. Samba maybe more so, and I realise what qualities he'd bring but I don't see him fitting in at all. Maybe that's the problem - we need to sit back and have a deeper defensive line and just have CBs who hoof it out of danger.

a Vermaelen/Samba partnership wouldn't work if Samba isn't quick enough to cover the ground behind him. Unless he played at LCB and we rotated Kos and Djourou, while waiting for Bartley which I wouldn't mind, but TV5 would still be my first choice against most sides.

If you've read what i've said all along - I don't want to leave it as things are. I accept things need working on and I accept we need a new CB.

But then how is Cahill a player who can keep his team-mates calm under pressure? As I said, they fell from pushing for Europe to 14th. Samba maybe more so, and I realise what qualities he'd bring but I don't see him fitting in at all. Maybe that's the problem - we need to sit back and have a deeper defensive line and just have CBs who hoof it out of danger.

a Vermaelen/Samba partnership wouldn't work if Samba isn't quick enough to cover the ground behind him. Unless he played at LCB and we rotated Kos and Djourou, while waiting for Bartley which I wouldn't mind, but TV5 would still be my first choice against most sides.

and my point is that all those targets are better than leaving it as it is.

and my point is that all those targets are better than leaving it as it is.

Yes - I know. Read the first line of my post; I don't want to leave things as they are. But I'd rather TRY to find the right player.

My original point was more of a rant tbf - Wenger gets criticised for not buying experienced winners, but then people want Cahill and Jones. I understand what YOU are saying, but others have said we need experience. Samba has that, yes. Does Cahill? Jones certainly doesn't.

Can't think of a more realistic choice than Samba or Cahill though Joss, can you?

Rovers in the hunt for highly rated Man City keeper David Gonzalez to give Scott Bevan competition.

Breaking News: Sky Sports sources understand Aston Villa forward Ashley Young's representatives have held talks with Manchester United. More to follow shortly.

Yes - I know. Read the first line of my post; I don't want to leave things as they are. But I'd rather TRY to find the right player.

My original point was more of a rant tbf - Wenger gets criticised for not buying experienced winners, but then people want Cahill and Jones. I understand what YOU are saying, but others have said we need experience. Samba has that, yes. Does Cahill? Jones certainly doesn't.

You think Wenger hasnt looked for a better player? the fact that he is looking this way tells you that these are the better options.

Why don't Arsenal go for Sahko?

French, young, looks very good, would make a great partner to Vermalen?

spacer.gif
Breaking News:
Sky Sports sources understand Aston Villa forward Ashley Young's representatives have held talks with Manchester United. More to follow shortly.

Hearing from #MUFC insider that Young is a done deal and #AFC Nasri to def follow soon - hard to believe but stranger things have happened!

Hope we sign Nasri too...

And then leaves Arsenal when he reaches his potential cause he realises he is too good for them and has a better chance of winning trophies elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.