Tsunami hits north-eastern Japan after massive quake

Well BBC and Sky have spoken live to people via phone and skype from Tokyo in the past few minutes, considering Osaka is further away he should be able to get internet access.

His last facebook status was just as the quake hit, it was via his blackberry and it read, 'Fuuuuuuuuuuck'

I just hope he felt the quake gently shaking his room in Osaka, and he wasn't on a day trip to the North.

Well BBC and Sky have spoken live to people via phone and skype from Tokyo in the past few minutes, considering Osaka is further away he should be able to get internet access.

His last facebook status was just as the quake hit, it was via his blackberry and it read, 'Fuuuuuuuuuuck'

I just hope he felt the quake gently shaking his room in Osaka, and he wasn't on a day trip to the North.

hope hes alright... The embassador from Japan in Portugal is saying that he is already able to talk to people there.... have a try?

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

All the 500 portuguese living in Japan were already contacted and are fine... If we can contact them from Portugal i think you can already call your mate from UK

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

Theres something like a "whirling" inside the water... wtf o_O ...

Can't get through. :S

Will keep trying via facebook and email.

Fortunately where I live we don't need to worry about these things.

On the other hand, I always though Japan was one of the countries that was best prepared to deal with this kind of incidents, yet they seem to have been caught completely off guard, which is worrying. Right now we can only hope it doesn't get worse.

Can't get through. :S

Will keep trying via facebook and email.

Person might have a bit more important things to be worried about. No offence. Just saying if you can't contact him, he might be trying to find out about his friends and family.

On the other hand, I always though Japan was one of the countries that was best prepared to deal with this kind of incidents, yet they seem to have been caught completely off guard, which is worrying. Right now we can only hope it doesn't get worse.

Imagine if they had never experienced a quake before and weren't prepared. Doesn't bear thinking about

They are the best prepared for it. most of their buildings are designed to withstand quakes. But Tsunami's are a different threat.

wow. Now Seattle is warning coastal residents to evacuate before 7 am their time. Been 6ft waves in Hawaii reported by press

Last edited:
Person might have a bit more important things to be worried about. No offence. Just saying if you can't contact him, he might be trying to find out about his friends and family.

He's there on a two year work placement, he has no family there, and his friends all live in Osaka. Thats not to say he isn't trying to contact any of them who might be in the North at the moment.

But I'm worried that i can't get through to him considering where he is living is all but untouched by any major quake or tsunami damage as far as i can tell.

They are the best prepared for it. most of their buildings are designed to withstand quakes. But Tsunami's are a different threat.

I mean, as in Tsunami/Seismic warning and evacuation. A ~300 death toll and another large amount of people missing is just too much I think.

Imagine if they had never experienced a quake before and weren't prepared. Doesn't bear thinking about

i hope tsunami dosent hit Papa new Quninea that country is very poor they would not cope with it

10.000 missing... ? If thats true it would be a relief if half of them arent dead... TONS of bodys are underwater, remember that...

2012 wont happen but this earthquake always had a high chance of happening firstly due to japan being on a fault line and secondly due to big earthquakes earlier in the year e.g christchurch as an earthquake caused at one fault line in one part of the world means that the plates have moved so this causes strain on other parts of the world especially at the fault lines

hope this is the end of the destruction for a while now.. looks very bad!!!

just staggering that this is 8,000 times more powerful than the New Zealand quake. incredible

Whats the death toll now? :'(

Japan's National Police Agency says 88 people have been killed by the quake, with 330 injured and 349 missing. A spokesman said the figure does not include the 200-300 bodies said to have been found on Sendai beach, and doesn't include the 80 people on the boat that was washed away. Coastguard searching for the boat. Another 5 5.5 magnitude aftershocks have been reported by the geological survey

Last edited: