UPDATE 13.1.3 RELEASED for Football Manager 2013

Yeah, it's only 50mb exactly I think! Just start the download, read up on some tactical tweaks for the patch, and start convincing yourself that the need for sleep is only in your mind :D

have u found a thread with tactical tweaks or suggestions for the new patch?

if i've already started a game, would the game automatically update or do i have to start the game again from the start?

have u found a thread with tactical tweaks or suggestions for the new patch?

No official thread no, but I've noted a few points from forums and the games I've played myself:

- The tactics that almost had as a goal to get crosses at the back post where your winger would be unmarked will not be as effective.

- You probably might want to reduce your closing down a bit (since players actually do it now) or you'll get more injuries and yellow/red cards

- Tight marking was a joke (in my opinion) before the match, it works better now and should probably be used for your CB's.

But I don't want to draw any conclusions at this stage, I hope someone starts a thread for this later on today!

No official thread no, but I've noted a few points from forums and the games I've played myself:

- The tactics that almost had as a goal to get crosses at the back post where your winger would be unmarked will not be as effective.

- You probably might want to reduce your closing down a bit (since players actually do it now) or you'll get more injuries and yellow/red cards

- Tight marking was a joke (in my opinion) before the match, it works better now and should probably be used for your CB's.

But I don't want to draw any conclusions at this stage, I hope someone starts a thread for this later on today!

yeah, i've been looking for tactical feedback on it and havent found anything but the feedback on the patch thread at the SI forums and this one. early days still. with the previous patch i found that using tight marking with your CB's made them close down a player as a unit and left space for other players to make runs into the area, do u think this has been fixed? i removed tight marking of my back four in the last update of my tactic because of this. that and my fullback would mark the forward inside the area instead of the winger if i had set him to marn mark the winger with tight marking, leaving him open to score from a far post cross. also increased closing down to try and stop those unstoppable runs from deep that no one closed down or even got in front of and ended up a sure goal.

if i've already started a game, would the game automatically update or do i have to start the game again from the start?

you need to close fm and launch it again, steam will update automatically. if you have any doubts, go to game status and check your version.

and no, you dont need to start another saved game, its saved game compatible!

Last edited:
yeah, i've been looking for tactical feedback on it and havent found anything but the feedback on the patch thread at the SI forums and this one. early days still. with the previous patch i found that using tight marking with your CB's made them close down a player as a unit and left space for other players to make runs into the area, do u think this has been fixed? i removed tight marking of my back four in the last update of my tactic because of this. that and my fullback would mark the forward inside the area instead of the winger if i had set him to marn mark the winger with tight marking, leaving him open to score from a far post cross. also increased closing down to try and stop those unstoppable runs from deep that no one closed down or even got in front of and ended up a sure goal.

Yeah, It's certainly been improved yes. I've had my whole team on tight marking = no, except for my DM, but now I have my CD's marking tight. Starting my 9th season now with Arsenal away so I guess that will be a true test for those instructions :)! I completely agree with you though, tight marking led to more space for wingers to run into, and it was a disaster. I trust the patch to have fixed this and in my opinion, tight marking CB's are the only way to go IRL so I'll try it out! Btw, try having your wingers mark the oppositions wingers if they are playing a flat 4-4-2. This worked great for me (note: before that patch)! I'll probably go through my whole tactic and certainly wath the first 15 mins of the Arsenal game in full time.

Best part is that we'll have 5 more patches in next few months. And all this cuz of Skidrow and pirate versions. So yes SI, you will lose some money if you make fully functional game without having to patch it 5 times, but you'll lose even more if you're letting us wait till December/January to make match engine working without major bugs. Maybe not this year, maybe not next aswell, but in near future, yes.

Don`t you worry about Skidrow, they couldn`t crack the last 12.2.2 patch, so i don`t see them cracking this one :D

Even if you got poor broadband like me? :) Brill!! And i've been told i don't have to work overtime tonight too!!

Yea it won't take long, my broadband is slow (about 1mgb connection) and at only 50mgb to download, it didn't take too long (about 5-10 mins).

i really like the changes! The passing looks like football now! players are actually trying the truballs and long passes... I stared a new save with Granada and won 5-0 in a friendly, 1 of those goals were top class, 1 touch passes from the backline! i dont know if theyv made the passing to good now but its better than before where the players acted like retarded goats lol

Why so many updates I thought the game was perfect upon release??

Noticing the v1313 - v 1318 fixing lists, is this going to be the final sub-patch for 13.1??

There is another patch before Xmas, barring any major game breaking issues that crop up. This was mainly aimed at the ME, with some non - ME stuff that was already complete put in. Its essentially an ME hotfix

How is the new patch with the ME works ?
... Very exicted Right now!!

Better balanced, as you'd expect. Hands down a better ME than FM12, and yet there is still more they can do, so it will only get better.

GK distribution needs further work, as I dont think they had enough time to implement changes, but its another good improvement.

Huge improvements on fullbacks and wingers defending and the overall ME is very good now.

But after a few hours of testing I have found that there are lots of own goals and still some stupid keeper errors, anyone else experienced something similar or just my games?

Huge improvements on fullbacks and wingers defending and the overall ME is very good now.

But after a few hours of testing I have found that there are lots of own goals and still some stupid keeper errors, anyone else experienced something similar or just my games?

Cant say ive seen many own goals. I know FM12 had the issue where deflected goals were wrongly often given as own goals. But Can't say ive seen that this time. Keepers are better, but need more work.

Well most of the own goals are either deflected crosses or the covering defender slide tackling the ball past the keeper.

But overall very happy with the improvements, can now actually appreciate the new ME without screaming at my laptop due to glitches lol.

Well most of the own goals are either deflected crosses or the covering defender slide tackling the ball past the keeper.

But overall very happy with the improvements, can now actually appreciate the new ME without screaming at my laptop due to glitches lol.

If you think you are seeing an unusually high number, save the match, and note the time in match it occured.

Then create a thread here: Match Engine/3D and Team Talks

here is how to upload your game: Sports Interactive Community

i just started a game with arsenal and it seems like every shot on target goes in since the patch quite annoying and unrealistic