Thing is, if they had tested the new match engine properly pre-release they could have seen how bad it was and then not used it... would it really be that hard to 3/4 of the way through production switch back to the old ME?

Take as long as you need to make something that influences the game this much, I would have happily waited another year for a new ME.

Saying all this I was doing well with the last patch and enjoyed it, 7th in Prem with Barnsley in 2nd season! No doubt this is gonna kill my good run :<

ROFLMAO

Lately I have this weird luck, like I was traveling backwards in time.

This update log says "less poor passes in the d-line", and after seeing that like once in each several games, today, in the first match played after patch, I saw that twice in the same match, plus another that was very close to be considered a third.

It says that solved an issue of too many players going to tackle somebody around the area, and after that is the first time I saw it. (Actually it's more like the first time I saw that many players do it, previously I had seen that once with three, instead of four or five)

In FM12.3 the log said that the players wouldn't run with the ball through the byline. I had barely if ever seen that prior to that, from that point I saw it constantly.

Hopefully it was just an unlucky first game (I've played a second where I've seen nothing like that, so it's highly likely my bad luck).

welll after reading throough the comments its safe to carry on my fc united save thank god 15th in the championship time to get to the premiership

Thing is, if they had tested the new match engine properly pre-release they could have seen how bad it was and then not used it... would it really be that hard to 3/4 of the way through production switch back to the old ME?

Take as long as you need to make something that influences the game this much, I would have happily waited another year for a new ME.

Saying all this I was doing well with the last patch and enjoyed it, 7th in Prem with Barnsley in 2nd season! No doubt this is gonna kill my good run :<

Because, it needed to be in the wild for mass stress testing.

Secondly they believed and still believe it was superior even at release to FM12. Which it was.

And no its impossible to roll something back 3/4 of the way through development

would it really be that hard to 3/4 of the way through production switch back to the old ME?

Software development works in stages and at each stage, you have to "commit" or "cut off" which means no going back.

Another thing that people don't realise (or choose to ignore) is the sheer amount of variables involved in a program like this and only so much can be uncovered during development or closed testing. It's only when the program is released that you have thousands of users inputting thousands of different tactical methods and algorithms which create millions of different variables for the match engine to cope with. Even the biggest software house in the world cannot foresee these variables.

In some ways it's a thankless task.

Because, it needed to be in the wild for mass stress testing.

Secondly they believed and still believe it was superior even at release to FM12. Which it was.

And no its impossible to roll something back 3/4 of the way through development

Stress being the key word, as to superior on release I would have to disagree 5 billion percent, the match engine was awful. I played a game every patch but until the latest 2 I always gave up after a few days. They had only just started to get to the point during these updates where my eyes didn't burn when I watched a match.

Those 'cross-centre' free kicks are killing me. Had 5 of them thrown in against me in 2 games and I have yet to not concede at least a half-chance from them. 2 of which have been goals.

Never conceded a shot from one of them before the update.

Software development works in stages and at each stage, you have to "commit" or "cut off" which means no going back.

Another thing that people don't realise (or choose to ignore) is the sheer amount of variables involved in a program like this and only so much can be uncovered during development or closed testing. It's only when the program is released that you have thousands of users inputting thousands of different tactical methods and algorithms which create millions of different variables for the match engine to cope with. Even the biggest software house in the world cannot foresee these variables.

In some ways it's a thankless task.

Obviously there are a lot of variables and I'm not doubting they did extensive testing however, on my first play through of the full game, in my first 5 matches I had logged 17 instances where I believed the match engine was broken (a few of which I sent to SI for fixing). Of course not every fault is the same and 1 blip can change the way a highlight runs dramatically but if I was testing this pre-release and saw that many (probably more) errors in a game I'd be questioning if the release date should be postponed slightly.

I don't pretend to be a technical genius or know much about making a game/programming etc. but my mate did a nerdy as **** IT course at uni and he knows a lot more than me, he said they are extremely cheeky to be releasing a game that knowingly needs at least half a year patching and doesn't know how watchdog or someone hasn't been on their back like EA Sports for FIFA13.

Like I said though, I'm a FM fan, enjoy the game as it is at the moment and will no doubt buy the next few games in the series.

Obviously there are a lot of variables and I'm not doubting they did extensive testing however, on my first play through of the full game, in my first 5 matches I had logged 17 instances where I believed the match engine was broken (a few of which I sent to SI for fixing). Of course not every fault is the same and 1 blip can change the way a highlight runs dramatically but if I was testing this pre-release and saw that many (probably more) errors in a game I'd be questioning if the release date should be postponed slightly.

I don't pretend to be a technical genius or know much about making a game/programming etc. but my mate did a nerdy as **** IT course at uni and he knows a lot more than me, he said they are extremely cheeky to be releasing a game that knowingly needs at least half a year patching and doesn't know how watchdog or someone hasn't been on their back like EA Sports for FIFA13.

Like I said though, I'm a FM fan, enjoy the game as it is at the moment and will no doubt buy the next few games in the series.

They could have released it and done no patching. Think your mate is wrong on that one. As for releases, you could put that point to just about any game out there. I'm playing a game by EA where there is still a "gamebreaking" bug that only will they refuse to fix, they pointedly refuse to discuss it. Be happy SI give enough of a **** to listen to their fanbase.

Last edited:

Of course it would depend on what that IT course is that would determine whether your mate knows what he is talking about. :)

Upwards of 90% of games are released knowing that they will require some sort of modification or patch. In some cases, games are knowingly released broken to the point where you cannot actually pass a certain point, or a save corruption will cause problems, the list goes on.

The difference is in this case, FM2013 when released actually did work, there was not a flaw that made the game unplayable**, it is more the enjoyment factor that suffers through the different elements of the match engine.

** In this case "unplayable" would be subject to debate, some people would see the match engine problems as a reason to say the game was unplayable for them, but that is subjective. My definition of unplayable is that the game either won't install, won't load, won't save progress or will crash.

Of course games always need patching and are rarely released perfect, that is because we have let gaming companies ease into this sort of development. The internet allowed companies to use feedback to change a game and make it better after release which has eventually ended in them sending out a half game for the public to basically complete and tell them what hole to put the circle block in. I still believe that the first full release of FM13 was the worst game I have played in a good while. Why?

Although games are released broken and need patching with some horrendous faults, at the end of the day a game is designed to entertain you. FIFA I agree is broken but I can work around that because I can change how I play and get good at it, the same as pretty much every game. Yet with this FM you couldn't work around it, there was no way to make a tactic that catered your team because they never followed instructions, you couldn't set out to keep a clean sheet because even if things went well your keeper would decide to punt it in his own net. You near enough had no control of how a match played out aside from the position your players took up on the pitch.

I agree the game was playable but in legal terms 'not fit for purpose' or 'unsatisfactory quality' definitely spring to mind.

Of course games always need patching and are rarely released perfect, that is because we have let gaming companies ease into this sort of development. The internet allowed companies to use feedback to change a game and make it better after release which has eventually ended in them sending out a half game for the public to basically complete and tell them what hole to put the circle block in. I still believe that the first full release of FM13 was the worst game I have played in a good while. Why?

Although games are released broken and need patching with some horrendous faults, at the end of the day a game is designed to entertain you. FIFA I agree is broken but I can work around that because I can change how I play and get good at it, the same as pretty much every game. Yet with this FM you couldn't work around it, there was no way to make a tactic that catered your team because they never followed instructions, you couldn't set out to keep a clean sheet because even if things went well your keeper would decide to punt it in his own net. You near enough had no control of how a match played out aside from the position your players took up on the pitch.

I agree the game was playable but in legal terms 'not fit for purpose' or 'unsatisfactory quality' definitely spring to mind.

I'd disagree with a lot of that, you certainly had enough control over a season. If you didnt, it wouldnt have gone out. The only time it took a step back was the hotfix patch at Xmas.

You'll find the internet also meant people found out about bugs. Most people dont even visit the forums and even know these bugs exist. Cant be that "unfit for purpose" if they are all still playing it. Games have always, always had bugs. We just know about it more these days.

Is anyone else finding that their games keep crashing with the new release... I've had to restart the same game 4 times now as it keeps crashing before I get to September!! it's really starting to annoy me... as I have to re-sign the same players/staff every f*cking time.....

Cant be that "unfit for purpose" if they are all still playing it. Games have always, always had bugs. We just know about it more these days.

I was referring to the first full release which if I do remember correctly I stated I pretty much gave up on until around mid January, hence the word 'was'.
As to the internet shining light on bugs, OK maybe a little but I don't go searching for bugs but I know they're there, you have to be pretty stupid most of the time to not notice most of them. I went on the SI site to tell them their game this year was terrible and noticed there were a trillion others already posting the same.

hey guys. sorry if this is off-topic, but since the newest patch, i can´t see the player faces! any ideas? thanks

Is anyone else finding that their games keep crashing with the new release... I've had to restart the same game 4 times now as it keeps crashing before I get to September!! it's really starting to annoy me... as I have to re-sign the same players/staff every f*cking time.....

I haven't had this problem, the only thing I have noted so far is an insane increase to the amount of penalties and red cards every week. 7 penalties in the prem from the last 20 games, 6 red cards, crazy

hey guys. sorry if this is off-topic, but since the newest patch, i can´t see the player faces! any ideas? thanks

Possible bug by the looks? I have a mega-pack for faces so I can see the real players but my regens have lost their faces.

I went on the SI site to tell them their game this year was terrible and noticed there were a trillion others already posting the same.

Much the same as literally every year, then.

Possible bug by the looks? I have a mega-pack for faces so I can see the real players but my regens have lost their faces.
i have a mega-pack too!the kits and team logos are there, just the player faces are gone. it was all fine before the patch