We Attack With Fire And Ice - A Knattspyrnuf?lag Reykjav?kur Story

• Thread starter Thread starter Kerguelen
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 392
  • Views Views 93K
Valur have really stepped up this year! Great to be in at the group stages now, guaranteed 7 million in the bank

Valur have really stepped up this year! Great to be in at the group stages now, guaranteed 7 million in the bank

I'm glad we finally have the automatic spot. Those qualifying round games can sometimes be a bit tricky, especially as we usually have a tight schedule around them.
Valur have got a lot stronger after spending big (big for an Icelandic club) this year. While I don't particularly like Valur it's good that they've improved even more and hopefully then can also start doing some damage in Europe.

View attachment 401312

August
We make the Champions League Group Stage (Next year we get the automatic spot
:D)
Valur are still too close to us for comfort.
A pretty dismal youth intake this year.

August Fixtures

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 4-0 Olimpija (Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round / First Leg)
View attachment 401310
A very strong first leg performance means were basically through to the playoff round before the 2nd leg.

Olimpija 2-3 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Champions League 3rd Qualifying Round / Second Leg)
We win 7-2 on aggregate.
View attachment 401307
We had done all the hard work in the first leg, and add to our lead here. We win 7-2 on aggregate.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 2-0 Vikingur O (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401306
2 Very early goals from 'Juan Manuel Paredes' seals victory for us.

Keflavik 1-3 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401305
We were poor in the first half and went into the break 1-0 down. We were much better in the second half and ended up deservedly winning 3-1.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 3-1 Dinamo Zagreb (Champions League Playoff Round / First Leg)
View attachment 401304
A good first leg performance puts us in a strong position for the return leg.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 3-0 Fram (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401301
An easy win helped by the fact Fram ended up with 9 men due to very poor discipline.

Dinamo Zagreb 1-2 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Champions League Playoff Round / Second Leg)
We win 5-2 on aggregate.
View attachment 401301
Again we had done most of the hard work in the first leg. The second leg wasn't easy, but we still manage to extend our lead further and win 5-2 on aggregate.

Icelandic Premier League Table

View attachment 401300
We won all our premier league games this month, and Valur dropped 2 points. They are still only 4 points behind us and it's still too close for comfort. Especially as we play them in their ground in the penultimate game of the season.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 401297
Star striker 'Olli Nygard' was again our best player this month.

Champions League Group Draw

View attachment 401293 View attachment 541221 View attachment 401312 View attachment 401291
Bourissa Dortmund...............Juventus...................Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur...........Grasshoppers

It will be so tough to finish 2nd this year given the quality of Dortmund & Juventus. 3rd place is to be expected.

Youth Intake

View attachment 401287
This was the best of this seasons youth intake. Not really someone who is likely to make in unfortunately.

Transfer Center

View attachment 401285
No players coming in. A few youngsters going out on loan. We release 1 young player who I doubt will be anywhere near good enough for us.

What To Expect In The Next Update

Will we win the league this year? Valur have been battling with us all the way so far.

Tough group! This could be time for you to take the Europa League by storm however.

View attachment 401039

September
We manage to win the league.
Valur stayed close to us right up until the end.
This has convinced me I need to strengthen next year.

September Fixtures

Stjarnan 1-2 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401037
We played fairly well until the last 10 minutes when it was all Stjarnan. We held on for a deserved win though.

Handknattleiksfelag Kopavogs 0-3 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401036
A convincing win keeps us 4 points ahead of Valur.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 4-1 Haukar (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401035
A very good performance here as we run out 4-1 winners against Haukar. Their only goal came via an own goal.

Juventus 3-1 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Champions League Group H)
View attachment 401034
This time Juventus proved to be too strong for us.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 2-0 Fjolnir (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401033
A decent performance see's us win 2-0 against Icelandic Cup winners Fjolnir.

Breidablik 0-3 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401032
A very good performance as we win 3-0 at Breidablik. Unfortunately right back 'Roel de Groot' will be out for 2-3 months with knee ligament damage.

Valur 1-1 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401031
A game we couldn't lose. If we had lost the title race would have gone down to the last day, but a draw confirms we have secured the title for 11th season running.

Ithrottafelag Reykjavikur 0-2 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Icelandic Premier League)
View attachment 401030
I gave debuts to a couple of young players. 18 years old defenders Vladimir Ingolfsson & Heimir Sigurjonsson made their debuts and impressed. 18 year old forward Gudmunder Kolbeinsson also played his 2nd ever professional game and scored our first goal as we run out 2-0 winners over 'IR'.

Icelandic Premier League Table

View attachment 401029
We win the league by 6 points after Valur put in a strong title challenge. They only lost 1 league game this season which was to us.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 401028
Kjell Skarin had a very good month, and was his usual creative self.

A review of this season.

I'm glad we finally have the automatic spot. Those qualifying round games can sometimes be a bit tricky, especially as we usually have a tight schedule around them.
Valur have got a lot stronger after spending big (big for an Icelandic club) this year. While I don't particularly like Valur it's good that they've improved even more and hopefully then can also start doing some damage in Europe.

Time to throw the league perhaps, and let someone else get the ?7million boost for the good of Iceland? (6)

Time to throw the league perhaps, and let someone else get the ?7million boost for the good of Iceland? (6)

Lol no chance.. If any club want's that cool ?7mil they need to work for it XD.
I might try and loan out some of my promising youngsters to Stjarnan & Fram who are probably the 3rd & 4th best Icelandic teams, instead of loaning them to my feeder clubs.

Lol no chance.. If any club want's that cool ?7mil they need to work for it XD.
I might try and loan out some of my promising youngsters to Stjarnan & Fram who are probably the 3rd & 4th best Icelandic teams, instead of loaning them to my feeder clubs.

Fair enough, KUTGW! You're so close to having other Icelandic teams in the Groups automatically, what a difference that will make!

Are you the U21 or national team manager?

Fair enough, KUTGW! You're so close to having other Icelandic teams in the Groups automatically, what a difference that will make!

Are you the U21 or national team manager?

Hopefully we can get a 2nd champions league group spot in the next few years, although I doubt that will happen very soon unless another club can make the group stages in Europe or we go on an amazing run. Hopefully another team get a favorable playoff draw and join me in Europe.
I'm not manager of Iceland, and I doubt that will happen as the current manager is doing a very good job :S. I don't really want the U21 job, only the main job.

View attachment 400803

Season Review

It's been a decent season, nothing special.
We win the treble.
We won the league by 6 points but we were pretty unconvincing at times.

Stats

View attachment 400802
Olli Nygard was our top goal scorer with 11 goals, which was the 2nd best in the league. Juan Manuel Paredes also managed 10 goals.
Our best rated player was Kjell Skarin with an average of 7.57. That was the 2nd best in the league.
Kjell Skarin made 10 assists which was the 2nd best in the league.

Fair Play Award

View attachment 400801
We were winners of the fair play award this year.

Team Of The Year

View attachment 400800
We had 3 players in the team of the year (Grimur Bjorn Atlason, Kjell Skarin, Olli Nygard)

Manager Of The Year

View attachment 400799
I was the manager of the year this year.

Our Player Of The Year

View attachment 400798
Kjell Skarin was our player of the year. The central midfielder was a creative force for us this season with 10 assists in the league & 13 assists in all competitions.

Our Young Player Of The Year

View attachment 400797
Midfielder Solvi Sigurjonsson was our young player of the year. He was Kjell Skarin's central midfield partner for a good period of the season and they both played very well together.

Icelandic Trophy Winners

Upper League Cup - Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur
Icelandic Champions Cup - Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur
Icelandic Cup - Fjolnir
Icelandic Premier League - Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur

History Up Until Now (17 Years With KR)

[TABLE="width: 500"]
[TR]
[TD]Year[/TD]
[TD]Upper League Cup[/TD]
[TD]Icelandic Champions Cup[/TD]
[TD]Icelandic Cup[/TD]
[TD]Icelandic Premier League[/TD]
[TD]Europa League[/TD]
[TD]Champions League[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2013[/TD]
[TD]Semi
Finals[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]2nd Qualifying Round[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2014[/TD]
[TD]Semi
Finals[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]3rd[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2015[/TD]
[TD]Quarter Finals[/TD]
[TD]Lost[/TD]
[TD]Quarter Finals[/TD]
[TD]3rd[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2016[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Playoff Round[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2017[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Lost[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Group Stage[/TD]
[TD]Playoff Round[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2018[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Lost[/TD]
[TD]Runners Up[/TD]
[TD]2nd[/TD]
[TD]Group Stage[/TD]
[TD]Playoff Round[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2019[/TD]
[TD]Quarter Finals[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]3rd Qualifying Round[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2020[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Playoff Round[/TD]
[TD]3rd Qualifying Round[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2021[/TD]
[TD]Quarter Finals[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[TD]Group Stage[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2022[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Lost[/TD]
[TD]3rd Round[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[TD]Group Stage[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2023[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]1st Knockout Round[/TD]
[TD]Group Stage[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2024[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Lost[/TD]
[TD]3rd Round[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Group Stage[/TD]
[TD]Playoff Round[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2025[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]4th Round[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Playoff Round[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2026[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Lost[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2027[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2028[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]N/A[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2029[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Quarter Finals[/TD]
[TD]Winners[/TD]
[TD]Still Involved[/TD]
[TD]Group Stage[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

A review of the champions league group stage.

Last edited:
View attachment 400471

Champions League Journey
We lost our first group game 3-1 away to Juventus (Shown in the September Update)
Here's how the other group games went.

Knattspyrnuflag Reykjavikur 1-3 Bourissa Dortmund (Champions League Group H)
View attachment 400470
It was a fairly even game, but Dortmund were much more clinical, and scored all their goals via headers.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 2-0 Grasshoppers (Champions League Group H)
View attachment 400469
A good win, although it came at a cost. Defensive midfielder 'Odd Sanne' tore his hamstring and will be missing for 4 months :(.

Grasshoppers 0-2 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Champions League Group H)
View attachment 400468
A good win again. 'Olli Nygard' scored both goals for us.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 0-2 Juventus (Champions League Group H)
View attachment 400467
An even game, but Juventus were clinical.

Bourissa Dortmund 2-0 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Champions League Group H)
View attachment 400466
Again i'n not so sure we deserved to lose this game.

Champions League Group H Table

View attachment 400465
We finished 3rd in the group which is what I had expected. I hope for an easy draw in the Europa League and hopefully we can go on a good run.

A preview of the upcoming season.

Are you 3rd seeds then? It gives you a nice chance of moving into at least the Europa League KO consistently, so I like that alot. If I'm honest I prefer the Europa League KO, they're so much more winnable!

Are you 3rd seeds then? It gives you a nice chance of moving into at least the Europa League KO consistently, so I like that alot. If I'm honest I prefer the Europa League KO, they're so much more winnable!

Yeah, were 3rd seeds. I always expect to finish 2nd or 3rd in the group depending on who i'm drawn against. I prefer to stay in the Champions League though, just because of the money. Europa League won't do all that much to my finances even if I go on a decent run.

View attachment 400076

Pre-Season
A fairly good pre-season.
Only 1 player brought in.

Pre-Season Fixtures

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 3
-0 Afturelding

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 3-1 Vikingur O

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 4-0 Grindavik

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 5-0 Winterthur (Friendly Cup Semi Finals)

Radnicki 0-2 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Friendly Cup Finals)

We won all our pre-season fixtures as expected. We had a little friendly competition which we also won
^^).

Players In

View attachment 400067
We bring in 18 year old keeper Espen Falch-Olsen for a fee of ?22.5K. He is the long term replacement to current first choice keeper Runar Runarsson who is now nearly 35.

Transfer Center

View attachment 400059
Quite a few outgoings. None of them important players though.
We loan 4 promising young players to Stjarnan who will hopefully develop well in their season long stay.
A lot of players are released. Mainly young players who were never going to make it for us.
Georg Heimisson is the only player who leaves for a fee. He joins Norwegian giants 'Valerenga' for a fee of ?68K. He was a backup player who only made a handful of appearances last season so it's no surprise we only received a small fee.

The start of the Upper League Cup.
We play Celtic in the Europa League first knockout round. There's not too much between the two sides so I am hopeful of progressing.

Long time reader man, first time poster. By far the best story on here, really enjoyed reading and then keeping up with this.

Do you think it's possible to break into the top 6 nations in Europe? 9th last time around is so close yet so far. That extra 9 million pounds guaranteed to other Icelandic clubs would do miracles for standards domestically!

Good luck against Celtic!

Do you think it's possible to break into the top 6 nations in Europe? 9th last time around is so close yet so far. That extra 9 million pounds guaranteed to other Icelandic clubs would do miracles for standards domestically!

Good luck against Celtic!

I think so in the near future. Once another team can break into the group stages I think we could.

View attachment 399757

February
A very mixed month.
Our performances were amazing in the Upper League Cup.
Our performances were poor in Europe as Celtic knock us out.

February Fixtures

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 7-0 Ithrottababdalag Akraness (Upper League Cup Group Stage)
View attachment 399753
This is a brilliant start to the Upper League cup. We smash our local rivals 7-0. Young forward 'Gudmunder Kolbeinsson' put on an amazing performance & managed to score 4 goals.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 0-1 Celtic (Europa League 1st Knockout Round / First Leg)
View attachment 399750
A Celtic side, still managed by Neil Lennon managed to win at our place with a last minute goal. We just didn't turn up & Celtic deserved to come away with the win.

Fimleikafelag Hafnarjardar 0-7 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Upper League Cup Group Stage)
View attachment 399746
We win another game by 7 goals as we completely destroy 'FH' at their ground. It's a brilliant way to bounce back from our first leg loss to Celtic. Gudmunder Kolbeinsson again had a great game & scored 2 goals.

Celtic 1-1 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Europa League 1st Knockout Round / Second Leg)
Celtic win 2-1 on aggregate.
View attachment 399744
We didn't do enough to get through this tie. It was an even game, with very few decent chances created by either team. Celtic win 2-1 on aggregate but i'm very disappointed as I felt this was a very winnable tie.

Upper League Cup Group Stage

View attachment 399742
After 2 games we already have a goal difference of +14 after winning both games 7-0.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 399739
18 year old forward Gudmunder Kolbeinsson was our best player this month. He only played 2 of this months games, but managed 6 goals and an assist.

Can we continue to batter teams in the Upper League Cup?

View attachment 399666

March
We win all 4 Upper League cup games as expected.

March Fixtures

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 6-1 Fylkir (Upper League Cup Group Stage)
View attachment 399665
The goals are still flowing from Gudmunder Kolbeinsson as the young forward nets a hat-trick in our 6-1 win over Fylkir.

Selfoss 0-3 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Upper League Cup Group Stage)
View attachment 399664
An expected comfortable win over Selfoss.

Vikingur O 1-2 Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur (Upper League Cup Group Stage)
View attachment 399662
Not the best of performances against first division side 'Vikingur O' but we got the win we wanted.

Knattspyrnufelag Reykjavikur 5-1 Haukar (Upper League Cup Group Stage)
View attachment 399658
A very good performance here as we beat Haukar 5-1. We had 5 different goal scorers which is always good to see.

Upper League Cup Group Stage

View attachment 399657
We have dominated this group and are through to the quarter finals with a game in hand as expected.

Player Of The Month

View attachment 399656
Gudmunder Kolbeinsson was again our best performer. If he keeps this up he will be a legend in no time.

Will we win the Upper League Cup for the 9th season running?

Back