Weed

Rubbish. Completely possible to die from a weed overdose.

Also, your sig needs changing. ;)

EDIT: Played Joel. I'll find some time to reply to that at some point.

Please go ahead and cite one instance when this ever happened in history.

Obviously, but I'm curious as to why so many people on the thread are so passionately against it...if you don't like it, whatever, don't do it, but no reason to get mad at others for enjoying it. It would be like if I want on to the FM general discussion forum and made a bunch of posts saying how bad computer games are and how they waste your time and how they're addicting, etc.

Anyways, what I was more curious about was the number of negative responses as well as the passion...I have this perception that Europeans are really liberal with this kind of thing, but from what it looks like, Britain isn't. Even in the States most people have come around and don't really care too much whether it's legal or not (a recent Gallup poll showed that 80% of Americans thought it should be legal for medical purposes, and 48% thought it should be legal in general).

So I'm just curious as to what Britain's attitude is on the subject...but from what it sounds like, you guys are more conservative than Americans, which is a bit of a shock to me. Kind of a contradiction, Andy Gray makes a sexist remark off-air and should be crucified for it yet if I want to do something in the privacy of my own home the same people are up in arms about it. Not a criticism of the anti-weed people here, to each his own, I was just curious about what Britain's attitude is on it, and am surprised at what I'm seeing.

Why can't people be passionately against it. Why are others passionately for it? Everyone has an opinion, debates wouldn't happen if the person against something just rolled over. I personally couldn't really care either way.

I don't think a FM forum is the best place to gather the opinions of a country either. :) And 42% of statistics are made up!

Also, Andy Gray deserved to be sacked. a) He wasn't at home, he was at work. b) He's a representative of the sport, and supposed to be a professional.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Please go ahead and cite one instance when this ever happened in history.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_die_each_year_from_marijuana - Google, it's hard. It's an extremely rare thing to happen, doesn't mean it doesn't.

A lot of very frightened peole on this forum. Do you think death is the worse thing that can happen to you? Was birth all that bad? Do you remember your birth or what it was like before you were born? Every person who ever has or ever will live has one thing in common. They're all gunna die. As are you. It can't be all that bad if it's something we all do right? So why are you so affraid to live your lives and try new and different things?

As "Civilized" and "educated" Humanity apears to be the truth is we are just animals controlled by primitive instinct. The overwhelming desire to survive is there so we can live long enough to procreate hence ensuring the survival of the human race. We are slaves to our fear because nature tells us to be that way. All because it has it's own agenda. And the powers that be know this all too well and they are masters of playing on it as a means of control. you're being brainwashed and manipulated and most of you are blissfully unawair. You're way to concerned with seeing what score the footie is or watching the X factor.

In the words of John Lennon "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans". In other words if you don't live for the now and say "**** it" you will wake up one day and realise you have done nothing because you were too affarid to. Afraid of the law. Afraid of peer preasure. Afraid of past experiences or painfull memories. Afraid of what you are told to be afraid of so much and so often you believe it absolutely and will attack anybody who tells you other wise...Afraid of your selves. It's tragicly sad.

Like i said i will try everything once. **** the law. Who are these people who tell us what is right or wrong.The government? The police?... They're all just human like you and me. Just flesh and blood who **** and **** like you and me. Put in a position of power because humanity as a race needs to have figure heads we can look to and say "What now, What do we do now, How shall we live our lives?"... WELL **** THAT! I know right from wrong because i'm a good person and i don't need anybody to tell me how to live my life. None of us do. Certainly not on something as trivial as what substances i put into my own body.

We were once brainwashed by religion. The fear of an invisible entity that will punish us if we are bad boys and girls kept us all in check for centuries. Now people on the whole are wise to that ****. But they have gone from one mode of slavery to another TELEVISION!

The idiot box in the corner of the room that is used to pump messages of fear into your minds. Messages of fear and dumbing down tools designed to distract us from realising we don't need these people to live our lives. A terrorist hides around every corner. That man talking to your child is a paedophile. Drugs are all bad and will kill you.

Don't be afraid to live and don't be afraid to die. just live your ******* lives while we're her for pitty sake.

To be honest, when it comes to the legalising part, I'm in two minds. Obviously, what happened to my brother made firmly anti-drug, but at the same time I can see the benefits in medicinal uses. People can be against it for so many reasons, it would be impossible to list them all. But if it was to be legalised, it could potentially open a can of worms of major proportions.

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to argue with you, I was just curious as to what Britain's attitude as a whole is about weed. Judging from the thread it's quite frowned upon, at least compared to other western European nations (I think, well certainly compared to somewhere like Holland).

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to argue with you, I was just curious as to what Britain's attitude as a whole is about weed. Judging from the thread it's quite frowned upon, at least compared to other western European nations (I think, well certainly compared to somewhere like Holland).

dont get me wrong, wasnt tryin to start arguement or anything lol. But, yeah, the weed (rightly or wrongly) is pretty much frowned upon. But for a whole variety of reasons. But it could be, that due to Liberalism becoming more prominent in the UK, that it's still being frowned upon, but more tolerated. If I worded that right lol

Radical Dude, World Peace, Flower Power..Groovy Dude

Why can't people be passionately against it. Why are others passionately for it? Everyone has an opinion, debates wouldn't happen if the person against something just rolled over. I personally couldn't really care either way.

I don't think a FM forum is the best place to gather the opinions of a country either. :) And 42% of statistics are made up!

Also, Andy Gray deserved to be sacked. a) He wasn't at home, he was at work. b) He's a representative of the sport, and supposed to be a professional.

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_die_each_year_from_marijuana - Google, it's hard. It's an extremely rare thing to happen, doesn't mean it doesn't.

When did I say people can't be against it? What surprised me was that this was a thread FOR weed smokers, that's what the OP said...yet it was flooded by all of the anti-weed people. I think that someone can be against computer games and FM (think it's a waste of time, addicting, etc.) but if those people went on to FM forums and talked about it, well, I would find it strange.

You may be right that FM isn't the best place to gather statistics of how people feel, but I figured this is a relatively normal group of Brits, right? There would be no reason people here would be particularly for or against weed, would there? I'm asking you since I've never been there. Mostly I was just curious as to what the general attitude was, and that's what I was asking.

As for the statistics, sorry, I was incorrect, it was 54% percent in favor of keeping it illegal in the US (so it might be under 46% for legalizing it because some people probably had no opinion, but if I remember correctly, it was very close to 46%). This was a Gallup poll from October of 2009. According to an ABC News/Washington Post poll in January 2010, 81% of Americans are in favor of legalizing it for medical purposes. I cited these in a paper I wrote, if you want me to find the links I can, but keep in mind that I have no reason to lie.

As for Andy Gray, yes it was a mistake but firing the guy after 20 years of working for them seems quite excessive...what happened to free speech anyway?

ok I'm late to this stupid party but some people need sorting. I'll stick to page 3 and 4 to facilitate my lateness. Also Blakefish80 had a long stupid post, that raised many points similiar to my own but since he posted them in a profoundly stupid way, and in fact hindered the pro-pot side of this thread, I decided to ignore him entirely.

Some ****:
I. In short, its common sense, but if someone doesn't want to smoke weed then that's fine - they're not *******. As soon as they start the whole 'being a **** about weed' thing however, you need a bitchslap. Anybody who actively acts negatively towards someone because they smoke weed is a ****, plain and simple - including everyone who has done that on this thread. Someone open-minded enough to not smoke but know facts and statistics would understand that there is no risk with cannabis worth actively discouraging it. If you spend 20 minutes googling and learning I'm sure by the end anybody not surrounded in stubbornness will realise that quite simply, 'whats the problem?'

II.
So wait we are ******* for not using something that can put is in prison and harm us.

Ok, unless you're selling the stuff (and have been caught with scales, baggies and cash to prove it) or unless you're carrying at least 2 ounces (£300 +) - you're not going to jail unless you've been caught doing exactly the same TWICE before, less than 2 ounces can be claimed as personal use (though you might have to admit to dependence and attend rehab to avoid the slammer) Even then if you're not going to court with your burberry cap, chains and swearing then you're more likely to get a Drug Correctional course thing and some community service type **** (unless you were seeeriously packing)

III.
Although cannabis may be used for medicine. It is different to 'weed' that is bought and sold on the street which quite frankly, full of ****.
Rule one, stay away from the brown ;)

IV.
Since I'm sure a lot of users of weed don't understand the effects of weed, it's far worst for them to make uninformed decisions and get hooked on harder, more dangerous drugs.
I'd say its more likely that a cannabis smoker is more likely to know more about cannabis than most other topics tbh. People I know that smoke now and then, parties etc don't know the first thing about it scientifically or botanically, where-as the people I know that are heavy smokers know far more than you'd think had you known them personally (though it could be argued that's due to having to argue their case against anti-weed peeps). I dont know why but it creates a passion, hence the millions of people calling for legilisation, the many books/ films - the whole culture really, its something else.

V.
Also you're the massive ***, no, not everybody is doing weed at my age
Aw diddums, so naive. To quote a paraphernalia site - "everyone does it" (dot com for those interested)

VI.
Rubbish. Completely possible to die from a weed overdose
It takes on average 21 grams of pure THC to cause an overdose (based on the LD50 of rats or somethin), and it would have to be smoked within a 15 minute timescale. I trust your IQ is high enough that you realise this is entirely not possible.

I seriously cba anymore. I might update more but I doubt it, I formatted this **** and everything.

Super Conclusion of Doom:
Weed is fine, harmless as long as you know your limits and use responsibly, extremely fun, a great social drug, and doesn't deserve its reputation (thank you William Randolph Hearst, senór Jackass). If you don't like it, absolutly fair enough - but don't condemn me/ others because we do, especially if you dont know your ****.

p.s Joey Barton for Prime Minister

Last edited:
I don't blame people if they don't want to do it. I never force any of my friends into to doing it if they want some I'll let them have a draw also you cant get addicted to it though if you take it a lot you get used to it and go for something stronger like coke or heroin witch I don't plan on taking I don't smoke tobacco either just weed on it's own but even that I don't do much only during the summer if it's a nice day so I can chill etc.

Rest of the time I stick to beer

Haven't done it, probably will , but not on a dailly routine, maybe once a pair of months.

dont get me wrong, wasnt tryin to start arguement or anything lol. But, yeah, the weed (rightly or wrongly) is pretty much frowned upon. But for a whole variety of reasons. But it could be, that due to Liberalism becoming more prominent in the UK, that it's still being frowned upon, but more tolerated. If I worded that right lol

Does this have to do with the beer industry? I know that France has particularly strict weed laws, mainly because of the wine industry (so I've heard), although almost all the French I've met smoked weed.

I wonder why then Holland is so liberal about it? Maybe it's because of its history of social liberalism...Britain has a very, very strong history of economic liberalism, but Holland has always been socially liberal: I think this comes from it having a long tradition of religious diversity and toleration. Britain is mostly Anglican though (Presbyterian in Scotland if I remember correctly)...maybe that has something to do with it?

there shouldn't be a debate, you either do or you dont..
personally I have occasionally in the past, not so much anymore, from experience it does wreck your memory, but nothing else, maybe a bad reaction every now and again - but thats rare.. its as harmless as alcohol and less harmful than tobacco. So stop getting your knickers in a twist you bunch of *****'oles..

Some right babies in this thread saying it kills you and ruins peoples lifes haha. Its harmless an less dangerous than Alcohol.

Don't see the problem with a drug that makes people want to sit in there house and be lazy and do nothing. But alcohol in fine when people drink it go out be loud an punch people.

Oh and as far as overdosing goes...I'm not sure how it could be done, but I'm sure it's possible if you somehow ingested a really high concentration of it...but this would be really, really hard, and would never happen to a normal or abnormal weed smoker. You would have to try really hard to die from a weed overdose, do something really extra special. I'm not sure what, but it probably could be done.

Anyways, all I'm saying is that makes Godcubed's example totally relevant...you don't have to worry about dying from smoking weed. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning or a plane falling from the sky. A lot of people do get sent to the hospital though for alcohol, at least it happens almost every weekend at any typical American university...and there are a fair amount of people that do die from it.

No it's not. I don't know where the **** you're from but in every bit of Britain i have ever been to nobody gives a **** about smoking weed. Most people understand it's pretty harmless. Only super stuck up twats believe other wise. Their parents tell them it's bad and thier parents parents probably told them it was bad and so on and so forth. But these people are thankfully in the minority.

P.S. To that rather level headed Dutch guy. Don't judge an entire nations view on any topic based on a couple of pages on an internet forum frequented by football manager geeks who don't quite understand why the Brazilian "wonderkid" didn't do so well for club X in real life when he was soooo **** good on FM.

ok I'm late to this stupid party but some people need sorting. I'll stick to page 3 and 4 to facilitate my lateness. Also Blakefish80 had a long stupid post, that raised many points similiar to my own but since he posted them in a profoundly stupid way, and in fact hindered the pro-pot side of this thread, I decided to ignore him entirely.

Some ****:
I. In short, its common sense, but if someone doesn't want to smoke weed then that's fine - they're not *******. As soon as they start the whole 'being a **** about weed' thing however, you need a bitchslap. Anybody who actively acts negatively towards someone because they smoke weed is a ****, plain and simple - including everyone who has done that on this thread. Someone open-minded enough to not smoke but know facts and statistics would understand that there is no risk with cannabis worth actively discouraging it. If you spend 20 minutes googling and learning I'm sure by the end anybody not surrounded in stubbornness will realise that quite simply, 'whats the problem?'

II.

Ok, unless you're selling the stuff (and have been caught with scales, baggies and cash to prove it) or unless you're carrying at least 2 ounces (£300 +) - you're not going to jail unless you've been caught doing exactly the same TWICE before, less than 2 ounces can be claimed as personal use (though you might have to admit to dependence and attend rehab to avoid the slammer) Even then if you're not going to court with your burberry cap, chains and swearing then you're more likely to get a Drug Correctional course thing and some community service type **** (unless you were seeeriously packing)

III.

IV.
I'd say its more likely that a cannabis smoker is more likely to know more about cannabis than most other topics tbh. People I know that smoke now and then, parties etc don't know the first thing about it scientifically or botanically, where-as the people I know that are heavy smokers know far more than you'd think had you known them personally (though it could be argued that's due to having to argue their case against anti-weed peeps). I dont know why but it creates a passion, hence the millions of people calling for legilisation, the many books/ films - the whole culture really, its something else.

V.
Aw diddums, so naive. To quote a paraphernalia site - "everyone does it" (dot com for those interested)

VI.
It takes on average 21 grams of pure THC to cause an overdose (based on the LD50 of rats or somethin), and it would have to be smoked within a 15 minute timescale. I trust your IQ is high enough that you realise this is entirely not possible.

You're confusing the terms highly rare and impossible. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_die_each_year_from_marijuana

I) Agree
II) Agree
V) Since more and more younger people are beginning to smoke it, and the decline in education, then yes, I'd say a lot of people smoke it not properly informed. Not saying all weed smokers, I'm sure many are highly intelligent and/or know a lot about the substance. But still, if it's more openly available to younger kids, and they smoke it without knowing all of the facts, then it begins a spiralling generation of people smoking it.
Also, I was quoted out of context, so it makes less sense.
VI) You're confusing the terms highly rare and impossible. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_die_each_year_from_marijuana - You're confusing the terms highly rare and impossible. Overdosing falls into the former.

Some ****:

II.

III.

IV.

V.

VI.

I seriously cba anymore. I might update more but I doubt it, I formatted this **** and everything.

Weed is fine, harmless as long as you know your limits and use responsibly, extremely fun, a great social drug, and doesn't deserve its reputation (thank you William Randolph Hearst, senór Jackass). If you don't like it, absolutly fair enough - but don't condemn me/ others because we do, especially if you dont know your ****.

p.s Joey Barton for Prime Minister

Well look at your witty little self. I think i might have developed a bit of a man crush. I defo have a semi on at least. Anyhow care to expain how my post was "Stupid"? Every word i wrote was true. People are ruled by fear and propeganda. How is it "Stupid" to raise that issue?

I) Agree
II) Agree
V) Since more and more younger people are beginning to smoke it, and the decline in education, then yes, I'd say a lot of people smoke it not properly informed. Not saying all weed smokers, I'm sure many are highly intelligent and/or know a lot about the substance. But still, if it's more openly available to younger kids, and they smoke it without knowing all of the facts, then it begins a spiralling generation of people smoking it.
Also, I was quoted out of context, so it makes less sense.
VI) You're confusing the terms highly rare and impossible. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_people_die_each_year_from_marijuana - You're confusing the terms highly rare and impossible. Overdosing falls into the former.

V) Fair, I am 20 and I keep forgetting I've aged! There may well be 14 y/o's uninformed smoking. Personally if weed was legalised I'd have it 16 or 18+ or w/e, but what do you need to be informed of that you are of alcohol? Most people have their first drink and often drink with the information 'I drink this -> I get drunk' - its up to a responsible person to know what they're inputting inthemselves and how much they should have/ when to stop. Its not a cannabis problem its a human problem.

VI) Yeah its 'possible' in the sense than anything is toxic when enough of it is consumed. The level of pure THC (which isnt weed remember) needed to overdose isn't possible for a human to endure, and could only be done by someone intending to do it. 21 grams is 3/4 of an ounce, and its 21 grams of PURE THC. Walk into any street in the UK you're lucky to get over 20% THC in your bud, and 21 grams of that bud would be £100, so on top of all that unlikeliness, financially its extremely hard as well. You can't worry about something that has a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance of happening. Insert as many 0's as you want.

Come to Newcastle Upon Tyne and check out the bus stops then. It's very openly smoked around here. They get a few looks from people walking past, but thats about it. Wouldn't say its every part of Newcastle though, but the part I live people pretty much don't really care that much.

Did you read my post properly? Isn't that exactly what i just said?