Why do people still think Newcastle are a big club?

• Thread starter Thread starter alexjp123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 138
  • Views Views 11K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh I'm unsure why Dunc was getting a few pelters. Everton is pretty much on a downward spiral. Yeah we have an excellent manager (and so what if he's ginger!!! :@), and we do have have some very good players, and some good youngsters pushing through the ranks. But when the training facilities are pretty much pants, the stadium is very much incredibly out of date now, and the finances are dryer than the sahara desert, I'd myself (as much as it really hurts me), would pick Newcastle. Simply because of the facilities that would aid the development of any footballer.

Some Everton fans just have to acknowledge that we are no longer a big club. We may have reached FA Cup Finals, we may have overachieved (which was pretty much a miracle), but the last time we made Europe, the lack of quality in depth was plain to see. What we achieved, is now firmly rooted in the past. If I was a player given the choice between Newcastle and Everton; well, one club is run down and potentially, it's best players are leaving, and is incredibly financially unstable and the other:

Top quality training facilities, quality players that have signed long term deals, along with signing very good youngsters who have the potential to be excellent future players, a manager who has guaranteed finances without having to sell players, a financially astute businessman (though not the most popular of figures), a state of the art stadium that can expand and has an extremely loyal fan base.....it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Tbh I'm unsure why Dunc was getting a few pelters. Everton is pretty much on a downward spiral. Yeah we have an excellent manager (and so what if he's ginger!!! :@), and we do have have some very good players, and some good youngsters pushing through the ranks. But when the training facilities are pretty much pants, the stadium is very much incredibly out of date now, and the finances are dryer than the sahara desert, I'd myself (as much as it really hurts me), would pick Newcastle. Simply because of the facilities that would aid the development of any footballer.

Some Everton fans just have to acknowledge that we are no longer a big club. We may have reached FA Cup Finals, we may have overachieved (which was pretty much a miracle), but the last time we made Europe, the lack of quality in depth was plain to see. What we achieved, is now firmly rooted in the past. If I was a player given the choice between Newcastle and Everton; well, one club is run down and potentially, it's best players are leaving, and is incredibly financially unstable and the other:

Top quality training facilities, quality players that have signed long term deals, along with signing very good youngsters who have the potential to be excellent future players, a manager who has guaranteed finances without having to sell players, a financially astute businessman (though not the most popular of figures), a state of the art stadium that can expand and has an extremely loyal fan base.....it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Agreed 100%. Mike Ashley gets a lot of ****, but he will have Newcastle breaking even next year/year after, and self-sufficient in 5 years something which most clubs are way off. We are ready for the FFP rules, and we have a respectable wage bill. I seriously think that we can be challenging for Europe, and even one of the cups this season. I don't mean to sound biased, but the quality is there, and Pardew, no matter what is said, has an interesting attacking squad, and we are better than last season.

The front line and midfield are going to be up there with Spurs, Liverpool and co. Cabaye is a fantastic Box to Box CM, and Tiote is like a brick wall. Ben Arfa is Ben Arfa:wub:, and I think Demba Ba is a huge goalscoring threat. Jonas is, on his day, unplayable, and Barton is an expert deliverer of the ball into dangerous areas.

Agreed 100%. Mike Ashley gets a lot of ****, but he will have Newcastle breaking even next year/year after, and self-sufficient in 5 years something which most clubs are way off. We are ready for the FFP rules, and we have a respectable wage bill. I seriously think that we can be challenging for Europe, and even one of the cups this season. I don't mean to sound biased, but the quality is there, and Pardew, no matter what is said, has an interesting attacking squad, and we are better than last season.

The front line and midfield are going to be up there with Spurs, Liverpool and co. Cabaye is a fantastic Box to Box CM, and Tiote is like a brick wall. Ben Arfa is Ben Arfa:wub:, and I think Demba Ba is a huge goalscoring threat. Jonas is, on his day, unplayable, and Barton is an expert deliverer of the ball into dangerous areas.

Spot on. To be honest, I'm actually dreading playing Newcastle. Think I'll just lay low on match day and avoid all me mates lol. But Pardew has definately built a very potent squad. Think Newcastle (barring injuries to key players) could actually have a very good season indeed. Will make the derby very interesting viewing indeed too. Looks like both clubs have bought well. Can definately see a push for Europe in the very near future.

@StuW - My posts may have nothing to do with NUFC, but I support Everton, and I find this thread pointless as no other Everton supporter/fan agreed with the OP, and the thread opener has not showed up here since posting. The fact that it's been resurrected by some obscure forum necromancer and people keep quoting the OP like they're going to get an answer, is kind of silly, as is the OP, for that matter. NUFC hit bottom when they got relegated and they are clearly on their way up now, whiile Everton are trying to hold to a comfortable top half finish and getting finances under control.

@ajt - IMO the fact that we have plenty of good, or at least decent youngsters pushing through the ranks is a glimmer of hope. Even if it means we are to become a selling club for some time it may get finances under control, at least momentarily. Down here, clubs outside the big 5 that commited themselves to long term projects are reaping the benefits right now. The top three teams last term (Velez, Lanús and Godoy Cruz) commited themselves to a long-term policy, selling players to balance the books, clear debts, and bringing youth through the ranks (In Velez's and Lanus' case) or signing youngsters from obscure lower league clubs and turning them into top-class players (Godoy Cruz). All three are both financially stable and competitive, and Velez, who won last season, have kept their manager for a long time and they're establishing some level of dominance in the league. They're yet to achieve continental glory, with no continental titles this century. We have both good youngsters and we've got some real bargains out of the Football League, so I'm not that desperate about our situation. It's gonna get worse before it gets better, but things may not be as dire as they seem - as I said before, though I still agree with you in that Newcastle are more attractive and have a potentially brighter future right now.

But this probably belongs to the Everton thread.

I didn't tell you anything, I replied to your hypocritical statement.

How is replying not telling someone something? And yet again, you simply chose to skip my post and reply without even bothering to read. GJ.

How Big do you mean by Big.
Id say Newcastle are the 8th biggest club in Britain after:

Liverpool
United
Celtic
Rangers
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs

Whether that makes then big or not I dont know.

How Big do you mean by Big.
Id say Newcastle are the 8th biggest club in Britain after:

Liverpool
United
Celtic
Rangers
Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs

Whether that makes then big or not I dont know.

Wait, how are they bigger than Villa? Not necessarily contesting the point, just interested to see what your definition of big is.

Wait, how are they bigger than Villa? Not necessarily contesting the point, just interested to see what your definition of big is.

Just opinion. There isnt really a way of defining big but I go by fans, stadium, history, current success and trophys. Villa probably should be above but I just think of Newcastle as a bigger club. :S

I wont even give my answer in the matter of who's a bigger club Newcastle or Everton because im a biased ******* :P!

Although no doubt Newcastle are a huge club! Amazing stadium, great players, great history, secure finances and in one of England's most popular Town's its got everything an investor wants. Everton on the other hand, well... our team has an old stadium, but for some reason it wouldn't seem right getting a new one, takes away the history and atmosphere. But some may say, history is in the past, time to start a new era with a new stadium.

Just opinion. There isnt really a way of defining big but I go by fans, stadium, history, current success and trophys. Villa probably should be above but I just think of Newcastle as a bigger club. :S

Yeah, it's interesting. I always seem to have a different opinion to a lot of people. There are some that argue that Nottingham Forest are still a big club: fair enough by their terms, which seem to lie on history, but seems a bit bonkers by mine, which apparently seem to be weighted far more towards current success than everyone else.

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 PM ----------

I wont even give my answer in the matter of who's a bigger club Newcastle or Everton because im a biased ******* :P!

Although no doubt Newcastle are a huge club! Amazing stadium, great players, great history, secure finances and in one of England's most popular Town's its got everything an investor wants. Everton on the other hand, well... our team has an old stadium, but for some reason it wouldn't seem right getting a new one, takes away the history and atmosphere. But some may say, history is in the past, time to start a new era with a new stadium.

Damned right on the stadium. My first ever live game was at Goodison Park, and for atmosphere and sheer niceness of all the fans nothing else has matched it in any game I've been to.

Damned right on the stadium. My first ever live game was at Goodison Park, and for atmosphere and sheer niceness of all the fans nothing else has matched it in any game I've been to.

Goodison Park on a Saturday is amazing! The place is rocking, although to experience it first class you got to go to the Derby. I was at the Everton - United game last season when we came back to draw 3-3.. it was truly unbelievable, the roof was lifting off! Our stadium is too small though, if we want to be serious we need another 10,000+ seats. Newcastle have a brilliant stadium though, great capacity which is filled by their loyal fanbase.

Goodison Park on a Saturday is amazing! The place is rocking, although to experience it first class you got to go to the Derby. I was at the Everton - United game last season when we came back to draw 3-3.. it was truly unbelievable, the roof was lifting off! Our stadium is too small though, if we want to be serious we need another 10,000+ seats. Newcastle have a brilliant stadium though, great capacity which is filled by their loyal fanbase.

and the corporate features, they bring in vital revenue

Some of the best players in the world who have played at St. James' Park have said there is a unique atmosphere, totally different to anywhere else, and it is one of the best to play at.

Some of the guys that don't follow NUFC won't know, but we have some genuine big talent in our ranks. There is Vuckic, Abeid and Ferguson, but then there is Dummett, Sammy Ameobi, Ole Soderberg, Brad Inman and Michael Richardson. The latter is likened to Paul Scholes, in his style and also his look(yes, he is ginger, poor kid XD)

And there's one thing about Newcastle fans. Not glory hunters or band wagon jumpers. People I've met have supported their club for in some cases decades and decades, and will die a NUFC fan. Such incredible loyalty, even when times have gone bad. Such a rare thing at some clubs.

and the corporate features, they bring in vital revenue

One of Everton's problems with going forward is they are not as well known outside of England and Europe as say Newcastle and Liverpool, they need to impose themselves on the foreign markets, like ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool and even Newcastle do. There is a lot more to this than just shirt sales. Setting up a program in these poorer nations can even give them a first option on some cracking players.

One of Everton's problems with going forward is they are not as well known outside of England and Europe as say Newcastle and Liverpool, they need to impose themselves on the foreign markets, like ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool and even Newcastle do. There is a lot more to this than just shirt sales. Setting up a program in these poorer nations can even give them a first option on some cracking players.

They need to enhance in many areas. Problem is, it all costs money. Money they dont have, very catch-22

And there's one thing about Newcastle fans. Not glory hunters or band wagon jumpers. People I've met have supported their club for in some cases decades and decades, and will die a NUFC fan. Such incredible loyalty, even when times have gone bad. Such a rare thing at some clubs.

Same thing with Everton fans as well, from what I can see. One thing I particularly liked at Goodison Park was the applause for Friedel when he ran out to take his place, I learnt that's some kind of tradition. Nice touch.

Same thing with Everton fans as well, from what I can see. One thing I particularly liked at Goodison Park was the applause for Friedel when he ran out to take his place, I learnt that's some kind of tradition. Nice touch.

I thought most clubs done that? I know we do that at Anfield too.

Yeah, they appreciate long servants of the game, pretty much regardless of who they play for (sometimes through gritted teeth). And I still respect Di Canio who deliberately kicked the ball out play during a West Ham game, when one of our players went down injured. Was an open goal. He may have questionable polictical beliefs, but us Everton fans still have respect for what he did. Pure sportsmanship.

I thought most clubs done that? I know we do that at Anfield too.

Yep Liverpool fans do it too. But I've been watching some matches in the pub, and lets just say some (stress some) of the younger generation are shall we say, less receptive. But the older fans definately show respect. Suppose it depends how much they hate the other team I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back