My team is starting to look more fluid but the lack of goals seems to partially be down to my players not having the attributes to play IF, they keep wasting good opportunities by missing the target.

Would the balanced tactic work if I switched both my IF's to winger supports? Or would there not be enough people in and around the box then?

Definitely dominating the stats like I said but just struggling to find breakthroughs.

Edit: Am I wrong in saying it would make more sense for the IF's to be for the 'attacking' version and the wingers for the 'balanced'?

Last edited:
My team is starting to look more fluid but the lack of goals seems to partially be down to my players not having the attributes to play IF, they keep wasting good opportunities by missing the target.

Would the balanced tactic work if I switched both my IF's to winger supports? Or would there not be enough people in and around the box then?

Definitely dominating the stats like I said but just struggling to find breakthroughs.
who are u playing with mate?

I disagree that managers should always have a predefined tactic/formation/philosophy in mind. In my opinion, there's more than one ways to go about creating a tactic. The two main ones being: creating a tactic based on player suitability (as far as roles and positions) or having a predefined tactical concept in mind when deciding how to play. An example of the latter approach would be Mourinho's tactical style (4-2-3-1 with holding/controlling midfielders and if possible inside forwards) - he has been utilizing this system at most clubs he's managed. Other managers are known to create more flexible tactics based on player material or, in some cases, adapting to your opponent. Ronald Koeman comes to mind. Another example would be van Gaal, who deviated from the classic 4-3-3 "Dutch school of football" philosophy by changing his formation to a 5-3-2 system (greatly improving his chances of winning) during the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Obviously there also exists a large middle ground between these two approaches. One can have a predetermined system in mind, but tweak it extensively to specific player suitability. Guardiola has done so with the Bayern squad: while he generally employs a characteristic formation & philosophy, he has changed the formation (4-3-3 to 4-1-4-1) to bring the best out of his players.

Having a high quality squad means that implementing a predefined philosophy will be easier compared to a lower quality squad, as players will generally be more intelligent and well-rounded resulting in higher adaptability. This holds true for both real life football and FM. It's up to you (as the manager) to decide to which extent you will tweak the many fantastic tactics shared on this board, in relation to your squad. That is also what makes this year's edition of FM so much fun, since there hasn't really been an unbeatable plug&play tactic around, meaning we are forced to invest in tactical optimization aka using your brain.

I agree with most of your points. I never said that you should have a predefined tactic, never tweak it & pretend that you exploit the ME & win every single game. Far from it. This was possible in previous FM versions but not in FM16, as most of you have noticed. In fact, when I use TFF's tactics or other tactics from this forum, I always tweak them slightly depending on whether I'm winning or losing, injuries etc etc.

Like you said, Mourinho has been using the same tactic with all the teams he managed. Obviously, there would be some tweaks somewhere but the basis has been the same all these years. The same applies to Guardiola - even though he has changed formations, the basis (i.e. possession football) has always been there.

That was my point - to have a tactic / formation / philosophy that you would like to play with your team & then tweak slightly according to the team's needs. But I don't agree that you have to follow the assistant's advice 'by the book' because if you do so, your tactic will never become 'Fluid' since he's almost always changing instructions etc! You have to train your team to learn your philosophies / tactics etc. in order to play the football you want. Just like in real life.

its the first season right? did you buy any players?
3rd season, got some very good players (in relation to the league).

Played 4 games since I last posted

Lost 1-0
Drew 0-0
Won 1-0 (lucky corner goal)
Won 2-0

Not a terrible return by any means but the 0-0 draw and 2-0 win, were against weak opposition at home... Even with my tactics I had pre-download I would put 2-3 past this sort of team, it was the bigger teams I struggled away to.

I'm getting 60%+ possession each home game, just like I said the chance creation and subsequent conversion is poor...Different story away from home though.

Created only 5 chances against the bottom side latest game.

I'm hoping once the players are fully used to the tactic, it'll start to pick up.

Feeling like I'm getting more luck with the 'attacking' version but too scared to play that against bigger teams... The balanced version with the IF is costing me too many chances.

Last edited:
Will update 10-15 games on, promising signs early on all things considered (given my media prediction is mid-table albeit I overachieved and finished 3rd last season)

Last edited:
I agree with most of your points. I never said that you should have a predefined tactic, never tweak it & pretend that you exploit the ME & win every single game. Far from it. This was possible in previous FM versions but not in FM16, as most of you have noticed. In fact, when I use TFF's tactics or other tactics from this forum, I always tweak them slightly depending on whether I'm winning or losing, injuries etc etc.

Like you said, Mourinho has been using the same tactic with all the teams he managed. Obviously, there would be some tweaks somewhere but the basis has been the same all these years. The same applies to Guardiola - even though he has changed formations, the basis (i.e. possession football) has always been there.

That was my point - to have a tactic / formation / philosophy that you would like to play with your team & then tweak slightly according to the team's needs. But I don't agree that you have to follow the assistant's advice 'by the book' because if you do so, your tactic will never become 'Fluid' since he's almost always changing instructions etc! You have to train your team to learn your philosophies / tactics etc. in order to play the football you want. Just like in real life.

Fair enough, we're in agreement then :)

people seems to have problem scoring goals do any of you think it will change by change the training from def. pos to att. movement?

Fair enough, we're in agreement then :)

I just wanted to add one thing. When I look for tactics to download (if I'm not creating my own of course), I always look for possession-based tactics because that's how I like my team(s) to play. I don't look for tactics with Direct Passing or Route One for example, because I simply don't like them! Even if the tactic creator might say that his team is unbeatable etc etc with it - I just won't consider it at all! Because that's not the football I like to play.

Obviously, I want to win - but I want to win by playing nice football. Ok, I do accept the random lucky win sometimes or the random unlucky loss - that's part of football at the end of the day. But I prefer to win by playing the way I want than to win by playing with a philosophy that I don't like.

I just wanted to add one thing. When I look for tactics to download (if I'm not creating my own of course), I always look for possession-based tactics because that's how I like my team(s) to play. I don't look for tactics with Direct Passing or Route One for example, because I simply don't like them! Even if the tactic creator might say that his team is unbeatable etc etc with it - I just won't consider it at all! Because that's not the football I like to play.

Obviously, I want to win - but I want to win by playing nice football. Ok, I do accept the random lucky win sometimes or the random unlucky loss - that's part of football at the end of the day. But I prefer to win by playing the way I want than to win by playing with a philosophy that I don't like.

What team are you playing with now and what tactic are you using?

My 1st season with R.Sociedad went just amazing, I got the 2nd place just ! :)

I was predicted to finish 9th before the season. :p

I used the Balanced tactic for all matches.

rsww1j.jpg

rsww2_J.jpg

rsww3_J.jpg

What team are you playing with now and what tactic are you using?

Borussia Dortmund & I use Christian Eriksen's TWISTER V1 & TFF's Conqueror V12 depending on the opponent, situation etc. Definitely the best 2 I found so far.

Another one that was really good for some time is Bophonet's Guardiola tactic but I don't use it anymore because for some reason, it just stopped 'working' if you know what I mean.

My 1st season with R.Sociedad went just amazing, I got the 2nd place just ! :)

I was predicted to finish 9th before the season. :p

I used the Balanced tactic for all matches.

rsww1j.jpg

rsww2_J.jpg

rsww3_J.jpg
well done pal

im Tottenham my first game 0-0 home against Newcastle playing good lot of changes but no goals i no is 1 game but seems there is lot there have problems scoring goals

im Tottenham my first game 0-0 home against Newcastle playing good lot of changes but no goals i no is 1 game but seems there is lot there have problems scoring goals
and still its only one game, so i can u say that there is problem with scoring goals? cuz i see the guy who plays with sociedad have score 82 goals which is great is your tactic fluid mate? did u play some friendly matchs?

Thought I'd post an update as would be unfair of me to critique it a few games in then not give an update after several (in game) months of the tactic being deployed.

Currently 2nd in the league.

The tactic has come together nicely and I'm winning against the big sides away from home, which is a huge bonus.

However, I've been on the end of 3 spankings, 3-0, 5-2, and 3-1...

They losses seem to have stemmed from three things conceding from set pieces, balls in behind and far post crosses.

Hoping the losses is more down to my personnel than the tactic in itself.

Still happy with the results so far, the goals per game have picked up too, which was my major concern.

View attachment 163987

Defensively more leaky than Conqueror -

At the moment its going okay i would say - we shall see how it goes till he first half of the season ; will keep you updated