Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carlos Tevez

• Nani

• Phillipe Lahm

• Total voters
I agree with Vanjagl. I actually said the same thing back 2 or 3 pages. Xavi for me is better than either Ronaldo or Messi. Can Messi or Ronaldo control a game like Xavi? I rest my case

That's a far too simplistic view. I could just as easily say "Can Xavi win and score headers like Ronaldo? Can he dribble past multiple opponents like Messi? Can he score as many goals as either of them? I rest my case."

I agree with Vanjagl. I actually said the same thing back 2 or 3 pages. Xavi for me is better than either Ronaldo or Messi. Can Messi or Ronaldo control a game like Xavi? I rest my case

They are not CMs to control the tempo. Their job is to create and score and they are doing it well.

The same joke everyone makes every single ******* time this subject comes up.

FBP's list is pretty good. I disagree with Maicon, Subotic, Hazard and Bale, mind you, but they're all up there as being some of the best in the business, if perhaps not the third best in the world.

Chill mate.. if I say Titus Bramble is the 3rd best player in the world I'll make you happy?

Yeah I was a bit dubious about putting him in but, as they say, form is temporary, class is permanent. Add Xabi Alonso to that list too, he's a fantastic ball player.

Yeah to be very honest I can't see him getting back to his best. He looks so disinterested, it is painful to watch him play. He makes Evra look like defensively solid. Apart from that your list is good. You have given few high praises far too quickly for few players though ;)

Yeah GC pointed that out.

Also IMO Gomez also doesn't deserve that place. Huntelaar has played for inferior team and scored more goals. We all know they bring nothing apart from goals and Huntelaar has beaten him.

Its Rooney. Hes probably the most complete player anyone has mentioned here. Compare last season, when he spent most of the season controlling games from deep while Hernandez scored the goals, to the season after Ronaldo left in which he spent alot of the season as lone striker, and scored a hat full of goals. Is there anyone else who can do both quite like Rooney? He can pass, head, dribble, shot, tackle, he's quick, fit and strong, and most importantly, he works his *** off for pretty much every minute of every game he plays. Xavi, Thiago Silva, Robin Van Persie, Arjen Robben and a few others are close behind, but although im aware im probably baised, Rooney is better than them. Messi and Ronaldo in a class of their own though. Both would walk into Best Ever XI.

People watch the premier league and Barca and Real because thats where the best players in the world play

Also IMO Gomez also doesn't deserve that place. Huntelaar has played for inferior team and scored more goals. We all know they bring nothing apart from goals and Huntelaar has beaten him.

Gomez has 198 goals in 332 games, Huntelaar has 240 in 368 (172 of them in a comparitably weaker dutch league).
Either way, neither are 3rd best in the world, but certainly among the best at putting the ball in the back of the net.

Yes, obviously the Premier League is at its prime this season...Seriously guys I am trying not to be insulting but be realistic.

Rooney got overplayed from Berbatov the last season, he did nothing special last year and this year Man UTD are probably going to win the weakest top league (If we count Spain, England, Italy and Germany as the top leagues).

Ibrahimovic was injured half the time this season and he was and is the goalscorer of Seria A and the main reason Milan are 2 points ahead of Juve. I do not know who brought the inconsistency matter to him. In fact he is one of the most consistent performers out there. He plays well against the big sides, in fact he assisted for Noccerino's goal against Barca. Was Messi better than him in these matches? Having in mind how much more Barca attacked than Milan and Messi scored 2 but from penalties, I would say no. In these big matches the stars are marked tightly and are not given much free time. Add for Ibrahimovic that he plays at typical AMC playmaker for Sweden and shows some top class creativity... he is actually my first choice for top 3 player out there.

The striker's job is to score goals. This is why people say Marco van Basten was the best striker N9 out there. This season there are no better goal scorers from Ibrahimovic, LLorente and Gomez in the international scene or are there?

I have not watched many games of Arsenal, however Arsenal are also playing in Premier League only with no huge international influence overall the last years. I can see that Robin van Persie is their leader and their star, but he got completely shut down at the only 2 matches I've watched him play this season. Wasn't he shown a red card (although controversial) in their most important match last year, against Barca?

Pirlo vs Xavi. Pirlo is the main reason Juve is in a Renascence, he completely changed the team, while Xavi gets benched more and more. I do agree that its his age and lack of stamina and fear of injuries that keep him on the bench, but a rotation player being the 3rd best in the World? Add to this Xavi's complete character change and how he acts as an assistant referee more than a player in some of his matches, he turned out from my favorite playmaker and a joy to watch to a complete disgrace. Scouls? Give me a break, this guy does not how to pass once someone pressures him and this is not a problem from today, it is in his entire carrier. How do you think he gets booked in almost every game he plays - after losing a ball from a high pressuring opponent.

Maicon does not even play. He suffers injuries and a bad form. Same for the majority of Inter players including Schneider. Actually in Italy they blame Schneider for the form of Inter.

Pique and Silva are really the best defenders at the moment and Alves + Lahm the best full/wing backs.

Iker is the heart of Real and I can not think of anyone doing better at keeping the goal clean than him.

Is Schweinsteiger still injured? I have to be honest and say that I do not follow much German's league. If so I would say Yaya Toure deserves credit and is probably the best defensive mid at the moment out there. De Rossi shows first signs of declining or he is just over confident the last season, but he is not that complete player, he used to be few years ago.

It seems to me that you dont watch football enough. But thats your opinion and i respect it. But i think that(your reasons and comparations) are utter bs.

Scouls? Give me a break, this guy does not how to pass once someone pressures him and this is not a problem from today, it is in his entire carrier. How do you think he gets booked in almost every game he plays - after losing a ball from a high pressuring opponent.

Xavi Hernandez: Paul Scholes is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years.

I've spoken to Xabi Alonso about him. He's spectacular, he has it all: the last pass, goals, he's strong, he doesn't lose the ball, vision. If he'd been Spanish he might have been rated more highly. Players love him.

Socrates (Brazil): Good enough to play for Brazil. I love to watch Scholes, to see him pass, the boy with the red hair and the red shirt.

Zinedine Zidane: My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation.

Scouls? Give me a break, this guy does not how to pass once someone pressures him and this is not a problem from today, it is in his entire carrier. How do you think he gets booked in almost every game he plays - after losing a ball from a high pressuring opponent.

Have you ever seen Scholes play? All but 2 of his touches in the Blackburn game were one touch passes, and he had a 90%+ pass completion. A man who can pass that quickly, that accurately, and you think he struggles under pressure? Very, very few people can keep the ball like Scholes can.

Can Xavi score 58 goals in a season or 135 goals in 134 games?

That's a far too simplistic view. I could just as easily say "Can Xavi win and score headers like Ronaldo? Can he dribble past multiple opponents like Messi? Can he score as many goals as either of them? I rest my case."

They are not CMs to control the tempo. Their job is to create and score and they are doing it well.

Ok, im going to answer the 3 quotes with the one reply the best I can.
First off I should have said in my opinion Xavi is better. Not to state he is. And as we know everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Not everybody will agree with your opinion but it comes from your personal beliefs and thats what matters. Some people say Ronaldo is better than Messi and vice verca. In essence there is no way to determine the best player in the world.

Now to adress the actual point. Look at people who have been considered the best players in the world over the last 6 decades. Di Stefanio, Pele, Cryuff, Maradonna, Zidane etc. What set them apart and made them be recognised as all time greats? They all share a common trait. They all stamped an effet on the game and altered how their club played. They arent known purely for personal achievements but more so for the teams collective effort and their effect on their team mates. They made their average/good team mates look even better such was their influence on the game. An individual player cant win games on his own so the best players have been the ones who have actually influenced how their team played and as a result made their team mates look better than they would have without them.

Xavi fits into this category. Without Xavi dictating tempo and getting the ball spread about Barcelona wouldnt be able to employ Tiki Taka so sucessfully. Sure other players could take his place but are any of them really as good as Xavi at spreading the ball about and holding up play or building an attack? No, and that makes me believe that Barca would be much less clinical and feared as they are.

This now brings me on to Ronaldo and Messi. And the question is would Madrid or Barcelona really struggle without them? I really dont think so. Both are superb individuals and have an excellent scoring record. But both teams also have a wealth of attacking talent. Barca have Iniesta, Sanchez, Villa, Pedro and had Bojan who would have played more only for Messi taking his place. All of these players could be relied upon to hit the back of the net if they were given the chance to lead the line. Real on the other hand have Kaka, Di Maria, Higuain, Benzema, Sahin and Ozil to name a few. Without playing the ball through Ronaldo or Messi to grab your goals it would give other players a chance to shine.

So that is why I THINK that Xavi is better. People will not agree with me but as I said, Im simply getting my opinion out there.

I learned one thing on FM Base. People hate you if they think your opinion is incorrect. Just like midevil church.
Anyway, I agree with Steve. Also, no doubt Messi is better at dribling and scoring goals. Also, no doubt that Xavi is better passer and he controles the game better. However I (NOT YOU), I think that Xavis better in his role, than Messi in his respectivly. Also, Tubby, bug off.

Xavi Hernandez: Paul Scholes is a role model. For me – and I really mean this – he's the best central midfielder I've seen in the last 15, 20 years..

Zinedine Zidane: My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder. Scholes is undoubtedly the greatest midfielder of his generation.

Xavi has obviously never seen himself play.

As for Zidane - he's a better midfielder than Scholes also.

Quotes from footballers are nice - but they don't always tell an accurate story for me.

I learned one thing on FM Base. People hate you if they think your opinion is incorrect. Just like midevil church.
Anyway, I agree with Steve. Also, no doubt Messi is better at dribling and scoring goals. Also, no doubt that Xavi is better passer and he controles the game better. However I (NOT YOU), I think that Xavis better in his role, than Messi in his respectivly. Also, Tubby, bug off.

And everyone seems to take offence if you debate their opinion. :O

Steve, you say the best stamp their mark on their team, make their average/good team mates look good. But who does that more than Messi? Messi is a genius, who simply transcends all previous footballing styles. Xavi, while extremely good, is confined to the safety of doing what others have done throughout history, albeit almost perfectly. If I were to compare this to guitarists, Xavi is like Eric Clapton, who can play the blues perfectly, like no other does; but while he's confined to the limits of a guitar, Hendrix took those limits and re-defined what the guitar could do - and that's why he'll always be considered the greatest ever. You look at Messi, it's not the records he's breaking, it's HOW he's breaking them. He constantly produces moments of magic that others would have deemed impossible with a football, he's a genius who looks like he can do what he likes with the ball. He can win a game, all by himself, how many others can do that? If the rest of his team are playing poorly, all it takes is one of those unstoppable drives into the box that are nigh on impossible to stop, and he scores. If that's not making average/good players look good, I don't know what is. Is that not altering how his team plays?, stamping his mark on the game and his team? Xavi is performing a relatively simple role, he isn't altering how Barcelona play, he just happens to be one of the best ever within his role. Look at all the top teams around right now, all of them feature someone who can sit back and dictate the play for fun. Look at Leon Britton at Swansea, for instance. Xavi is phenomenal, but he's not a game changer, like your own criteria suggests he should be. Messi, however, is. He's the most unique and most magical player to come around in a **** of a long while.

And then Ronaldo, how many players in history have combined sheer physicality with technical ability like him? Strength, a tremendous leap and electric pace, an outstandingly good goalscorer with a great heading ability all rolled into one complete package.

All of the players you noted took the game, changed and did what they liked with it. Xavi, for me, doesn't really do that.

And everyone seems to take offence if you debate their opinion. :O

Steve, you say the best stamp their mark on their team, make their average/good team mates look good. But who does that more than Messi? Messi is a genius, who simply transcends all previous footballing styles. Xavi, while extremely good, is confined to the safety of doing what others have done throughout history, albeit almost perfectly. If I were to compare this to guitarists, Xavi is like Eric Clapton, who can play the blues perfectly, like no other does; but while he's confined to the limits of a guitar, Hendrix took those limits and re-defined what the guitar could do - and that's why he'll always be considered the greatest ever. You look at Messi, it's not the records he's breaking, it's HOW he's breaking them. He constantly produces moments of magic that others would have deemed impossible with a football, he's a genius who looks like he can do what he likes with the ball. He can win a game, all by himself, how many others can do that? If the rest of his team are playing poorly, all it takes is one of those unstoppable drives into the box that are nigh on impossible to stop, and he scores. If that's not making average/good players look good, I don't know what is. Is that not altering how his team plays?, stamping his mark on the game and his team? Xavi is performing a relatively simple role, he isn't altering how Barcelona play, he just happens to be one of the best ever within his role. Look at all the top teams around right now, all of them feature someone who can sit back and dictate the play for fun. Look at Leon Britton at Swansea, for instance. Xavi is phenomenal, but he's not a game changer, like your own criteria suggests he should be. Messi, however, is. He's the most unique and most magical player to come around in a **** of a long while.

And then Ronaldo, how many players in history have combined sheer physicality with technical ability like him? Strength, a tremendous leap and electric pace, an outstandingly good goalscorer with a great heading ability all rolled into one complete package.

All of the players you noted took the game, changed and did what they liked with it. Xavi, for me, doesn't really do that.

where can I get your genes?

I gave your mum plenty to go around last night. ;)

OH THE RETURN OF THE 15 YEAR OLD INSULTS.

You want my COMEBACK? Scrape it off your mums lips :p

Anyway, why no poll on this thread? Would be interesting to see.