4-4-1-1 Roma Renaissance!! Goalscoring Wingers

• Thread starter Thread starter mirel07
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 375
  • Views Views 220K
Just finished my 2nd season with my tweak. Won the Community Shield, European Super Cup, Carabao Cup, FA Cup and The Premier League. Lost the CL final to Porto on penalites. I'm Newcastle.

Without a doubt, this is the best tactic i've used in FM18. Scoring goals and defending well.

I would however, it takes a little time to implement it, so don't expect miracles from game 1.

I would recommend v3 for away matches. If struggling in wide areas change fullbacks to support

I also tried it with Leverkusen, they have the perfect players for this formation and football. Great to hear that you are enjoying the match gameplay and hopefully brandt, bailey and bellarabi are banging in some goals...do not sell Havertz!!

I have been using tactics from fmbase for many years now, although I rarely post/comment about it. I have to say that this tactic has been amazing for my Leverkusen team and has brought much enjoyment because not only have I been winning, but it feels more fun when it is with a realistic formation and not 3 strikers bunched together exploiting the match engine. I have quoted the above three posts because they perfectly describe how my game is going.

1 - It is one of the best tactics in FM18, but you have to give your players time to develop full familiarity as well as good partnerships across the pitch. It is not plug and play. But if you stick with it, you can see the evidence below.

View attachment 66360
View attachment 66361

2 - I recently had a massive away match to Bayern. However I did not follow the advice to use V3 in away matches. I used nufcmichaels V3 tweak but adjusted the mentality to standard and set both full backs to support. As you will see from the position chart below, I overtook them to go into first place when I won.

View attachment 66359
View attachment 66358

3 - Leverkusen have almost the perfect team for this tactic. The only place where I felt slight improvement was needed was at left back, a more creative/all round centre midfielder, and a better complete forward type striker. As you will see below, I didn't make a massive overhaul of the team with transfers. The only real changes pre-season were Jorge (on loan) and Dolberg. And when teams came in with big offers for Aranguiz and Volland in the January window, I used the cash to get Arthur.

View attachment 66357
View attachment 66356

Fingers crossed I can continue the good form and secure Leverkusen's first ever Bundesliga title!

Last edited:
Version 3 with a change of Treq to AP has seen me get an away draw ant Arsenal and then 3 wins in a row, to help stabilise my Newcastle season, so much respect and many thanks

I have been using tactics from fmbase for many years now, although I rarely post/comment about it. I have to say that this tactic has been amazing for my Leverkusen team and has brought much enjoyment because not only have I been winning, but it feels more fun when it is with a realistic formation and not 3 strikers bunched together exploiting the match engine. I have quoted the above three posts because they perfectly describe how my game is going.

1 - It is one of the best tactics in FM18, but you have to give your players time to develop full familiarity as well as good partnerships across the pitch. It is not plug and play. But if you stick with it, you can see the evidence below.

View attachment 1147319
View attachment 1147318

2 - I recently had a massive away match to Bayern. However I did not follow the advice to use V3 in away matches. I used nufcmichaels V3 tweak but adjusted the mentality to standard and set both full backs to support. As you will see from the position chart below, I overtook them to go into first place when I won.

View attachment 1147320
View attachment 1147321

3 - Leverkusen have almost the perfect team for this tactic. The only place where I felt slight improvement was needed was at left back, a more creative/all round centre midfielder, and a better complete forward type striker. As you will see below, I didn't make a massive overhaul of the team with transfers. The only real changes pre-season were Jorge (on loan) and Dolberg. And when teams came in with big offers for Aranguiz and Volland in the January window, I used the cash to get Arthur.

View attachment 1147322
View attachment 1147323

Fingers crossed I can continue the good form and secure Leverkusen's first ever Bundesliga title!

Thanks for the really fantastic write up. I guess it really sums up what the tactic is all about.
1. It will help your team play realistic fun to watch football
2. YOU ARE A MANAGER, do not be afraid to make slight tweaks for certain matches depending on your team and the opposition ( this is what every manager in real life does) Even if it goes against some of the suggestions on this thread.

I personally haven't had the chance to play the game over the last few weeks but I am more than happy that there are others who have used it and tweaked to their liking without complaining that the tactic isn't working...credit to all you guys and thanks for the support.

P.S I just think you might sneak the Bundesliga title in!

So my first save this year has finally died out. I'm no tactical genius - I enjoy tinkering and making small alterations to accommodate my own players/styles - but I have to rely on others for the bulk of the tactic because mine are always flawed in one way or another; and well, 5 defenders and 3 strikers has got to me! The simply odd football it produces yet one sided results was fun for a while but I'm finally realising its not really the way I want my save to be anymore.

So I've opted for a reboot and have been fishing around for a tactic to start with that resembles real football a little bit more. While I haven't got to use it yet, I have to say that reading through this thread and all the responses has me feeling quite optimistic. I do have a few questions - what levels of possession do people normally see? I've decided to go with Southampton and I'm fairly sure they ask you to play a possession style of football, that said can I ignore the board on that anyway assuming I'm meeting other objectives? Also how essential do people reckon using a SK is? Unless football manager and I have different opinions on what an SK is Fraser Forster probably doesn't fit the bill so should I be looking to move him on for someone more suited to the role early on or will he cope for a couple of seasons?

Kinda been away travelling and using this on my Saints game. Tactic is so consistant and well made and going strong.

63o6WlA.jpg

My best XI :

FXjx0bC.jpg

:)

Kinda been away travelling and using this on my Saints game. Tactic is so consistant and well made and going strong.

63o6WlA.jpg

My best XI :

FXjx0bC.jpg

:)

Great results!!, let me know how you go at the end of the season, im guessing your using V3?

How does the HB operate in this? Does he drop in between the centre backs or to the left of the left CB? Also, what are the possession stats like and does anyone have a typical average position pic? Sorry, just really interested in this tactic!

So my first save this year has finally died out. I'm no tactical genius - I enjoy tinkering and making small alterations to accommodate my own players/styles - but I have to rely on others for the bulk of the tactic because mine are always flawed in one way or another; and well, 5 defenders and 3 strikers has got to me! The simply odd football it produces yet one sided results was fun for a while but I'm finally realising its not really the way I want my save to be anymore.

So I've opted for a reboot and have been fishing around for a tactic to start with that resembles real football a little bit more. While I haven't got to use it yet, I have to say that reading through this thread and all the responses has me feeling quite optimistic. I do have a few questions - what levels of possession do people normally see? I've decided to go with Southampton and I'm fairly sure they ask you to play a possession style of football, that said can I ignore the board on that anyway assuming I'm meeting other objectives? Also how essential do people reckon using a SK is? Unless football manager and I have different opinions on what an SK is Fraser Forster probably doesn't fit the bill so should I be looking to move him on for someone more suited to the role early on or will he cope for a couple of seasons?

With V3 I had average possesion of 55.8% over 33 games with Leverkusen, This is not an overly dominating possession tactic but on the balance you will have more possesion than your oponent, but it is not Tiki taka or Van Gaal type play. In terms of the SK, in my tests and saves, any keeper will fit the bill, however it is better if you have a trained sweeper keeper...So unless your Guardiola.. Forster should be fine until you can afford a more suitable player...

How does the HB operate in this? Does he drop in between the centre backs or to the left of the left CB? Also, what are the possession stats like and does anyone have a typical average position pic? Sorry, just really interested in this tactic!

The halfback roams around in the space between the midfield and defence when in possesion, both left and right..in defending he moves himself on the side of where the ball is...as the ball enters your own final third usually he will drop back and the 2 centrebacks will move wider..in practice creating a back 3..hope this helps..but if you play one match in full match mode, you will get a great understanding of all the mechanics of the formation :)

With V3 I had average possesion of 55.8% over 33 games with Leverkusen, This is not an overly dominating possession tactic but on the balance you will have more possesion than your oponent, but it is not Tiki taka or Van Gaal type play. In terms of the SK, in my tests and saves, any keeper will fit the bill, however it is better if you have a trained sweeper keeper...So unless your Guardiola.. Forster should be fine until you can afford a more suitable player...

Sounds good, thanks!

So a quick update, it's been a while since the last time.

I'm now in june 2028 and i'm basically conquering the world with this tactic.

To start from the beginning, the first 4 seasons was a bit of a rollercoaster. Ended 5th in the first season, 13th in the 2nd season, 2nd in the third season and 7th in the fourth season.

I startet using this tactic in the middle of the 4th season, tweaking it a little, so here comes my results.

5th season: Won The Premier League, Carabao Cup and The Europa League.
6th season: Won The Community Shield, European Super Cup, Carabao Cup, FA Cup and Premier League (Lost in the CL final).
7th season: Won The Carabao Cup, Premier League and Champions League.
8th season: Won the European Super Cup, World Club Cup, FA Cup and Premier League (Lost in the CL final).
9th season: Won the Community Shield, Premier League and Champions League.
10th season: Won the European Super Cup, World Club Cup, Carabao Cup, FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League.
11th season: Won the Community Shield, European Super Cup, World Club Cup, Carabao Cup, FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

So the last 7 seasons has brought me 7 league titles and 24 cup wins.

I'm thinking about tweaking a little again. I'm wondering if it's a good thing to have a deep lying playmaker and an attacking playmaker. So I might change my CM to another role, just can't figure out which one.

10 games in and I am 4th in the EPL as Portsmouth. This is my first season in the EPL. If all goes well and I end up getting into the champions league I will try to buy Leon Bailey. I hope he doesn’t reject my offer but in the off chance that he does are there any suggestions for a pacey right winger?

10 games in and I am 4th in the EPL as Portsmouth. This is my first season in the EPL. If all goes well and I end up getting into the champions league I will try to buy Leon Bailey. I hope he doesn’t reject my offer but in the off chance that he does are there any suggestions for a pacey right winger?

Harry Wilson does great out there - sometimes pick him up for free.

been using it with ac milan sinds my second season first match. won the double first year and in my third season, second with the tactic also first. only in europe not great with last 16 last season and now after the winter in the europa leage.

but for a fm where i had lost hope for, and still consider a not that good game in comparison to fm 17.. this tactic has brought me results again!. thx for that. i am using v3

So a quick update, it's been a while since the last time.

I'm now in june 2028 and i'm basically conquering the world with this tactic.

To start from the beginning, the first 4 seasons was a bit of a rollercoaster. Ended 5th in the first season, 13th in the 2nd season, 2nd in the third season and 7th in the fourth season.

I startet using this tactic in the middle of the 4th season, tweaking it a little, so here comes my results.

5th season: Won The Premier League, Carabao Cup and The Europa League.
6th season: Won The Community Shield, European Super Cup, Carabao Cup, FA Cup and Premier League (Lost in the CL final).
7th season: Won The Carabao Cup, Premier League and Champions League.
8th season: Won the European Super Cup, World Club Cup, FA Cup and Premier League (Lost in the CL final).
9th season: Won the Community Shield, Premier League and Champions League.
10th season: Won the European Super Cup, World Club Cup, Carabao Cup, FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League.
11th season: Won the Community Shield, European Super Cup, World Club Cup, Carabao Cup, FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

So the last 7 seasons has brought me 7 league titles and 24 cup wins.

I'm thinking about tweaking a little again. I'm wondering if it's a good thing to have a deep lying playmaker and an attacking playmaker. So I might change my CM to another role, just can't figure out which one.

how did you go about training etc ?

Thanks for the really fantastic write up. I guess it really sums up what the tactic is all about.
1. It will help your team play realistic fun to watch football
2. YOU ARE A MANAGER, do not be afraid to make slight tweaks for certain matches depending on your team and the opposition ( this is what every manager in real life does) Even if it goes against some of the suggestions on this thread.

I personally haven't had the chance to play the game over the last few weeks but I am more than happy that there are others who have used it and tweaked to their liking without complaining that the tactic isn't working...credit to all you guys and thanks for the support.

P.S I just think you might sneak the Bundesliga title in!

Just thought I would update you and let you know I won the league. It went to the last game of the season, but I was able to hold on. Then got revenge on Hoffenheim by winning the League Cup as well :-)

View attachment 65672

View attachment 65671

Back