Bringing Back The Glory Days - Tottenham Hotspur

• Thread starter Thread starter GlenYid
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 217
  • Views Views 52K
what do you use for your screenshots?
I use photobucket and just crop screenshots in paint before I upload. To do screenshots though, I have to go to preferences and change to window mode for the 'prt sc' button to work.

Hope this helps.

hey mate. massive change of fortune, now 5th in january. i've also signed baines likes yourself. i seem to feel that ekotto doest get a fair representation on this edition, he is definitely my weak link.

also i agree with the problem about conceding goals from crosses. it is driving me mad and often costs me points late on in games. i use the control tactic with fluid philosophy and short passing, pressing the opposition too. the rest i leave to default. how about yourself.

i like what you have done with levy and i am most probably going to try this myself. lloris is great on the game, one of the best keepers i've had on any fm. he wins points for me alone. who do you feel is best in cam? dempsey dembele or sigurdsson?

enjoying this thread too. COME ON YOU SPURS!!!!

First of all, Football Manager is the best way to bump in to fellow Yids! COYS.

I agree that BAE seems a bit weaker on this version than what he deserves after a decent season last time out. But I still feel Baines isn't too great either (apart from his delivery from set pieces). I have a decent regen left back who came through the youth system that I'm holding out for rather than spending any more money needlessly on the position.

Crosses were destroying me early on until I changed to a flat back 4 with two DMC's. I usually start out with attacking, and in the last half hour if I'm leading switch to a counter attacking tactic and get the occasional goal on the break. I only press certain players too, I've noticed that the Assistants advice is a lot more spot on compared to previous versions and helps me spot the gaps that the opposition are making.

The reason I did that with Levy is because that seems how we are being run in real life at the minute. It makes it so much easier not being frustrated by constant re-negotiations too when the Chairman takes over. And I've noticed he spends well over the alotted budget too, which always helps.

Lloris is easily the best keeper I have EVER had on any FM, since Mattias Asper of the old CM days. As for CAM, the first season I played with Sigurdsson in that position and he had a blinder of a season using Dempsey as the regular replacement. Reason being that I retrained Dembele to a DMC where he was solid. -This new season though Dembele has been on fire as CAM, so go figure, lol.

Thanks for following btw.

December 2013
december2013.png

This month has been the pinnacle of the two seasons so far. The players seem to have become synonymous with the tactic and I have strength in depth for every position and the Strikers (Adebayor, Defoe and Rodrigo) are starting to find the net. The wingers (Townsend, Bernard, Douglas Costa, Bale and Lennon) are all able to play both sides of the pitch and with matches so close together the rotation is working perfectly, and they're still getting on the scoresheet.

I have been tempted to let Defoe go as he just couldn't hit the target, then when in my head I thought that I'd give him one last chance, he pops up with a brace against Swansea.. his first goals in over ten hours. I think I'm still going to see what I can get for him as the media keeps linking me with Falcao and Willian. They are now on the target list to see what Levy can do.

As for the results this December, the only disappointment was the Leicester match. I fielded a reasonably strong side and we just couldn't get that goal only to get beaten late on. I rested the big names mainly for the City match three days later.

I have no complaints over any of the other fixtures apart from letting a few less goals in would have been nice.

The Bayern Munich match was a particular highlight. Bernard had to start as Bale got injured at City, and he just had the most amazing match ever. Every attacking highlight and he was involved, and to be honest, and a bit biased deserved more than three goals. If he continues like that in big matches, £20m at the start of last season could feel like a steal. lol

I think I put Bernard on my transfer target list for Arsenal. I've got Peter Hill-Wood in charge of my transfers, and he's doing better in the game than he does in real life. But I suppose I can't say that really, because I'm not actually sure how much of a say he has in our transfers in real life. It might all be down to Arsene. But Hill-Wood has already nabbed me Jovetic, I wanted him to get Anyukov because obviously Sagna's been injured for the whole pre-season and will be for a couple of weeks into it, so I've been having to play Jenkinson all pre-season and naturally it's been wearing him out. But Anyukov didn't like our deal so that fell through. It's looking likely we'll get Paulinho, who I wanted to strengthen our midfield and then I'm hoping he'll try for Bernard.

But, as much as it pains me to say it, you are actually turning Tottenham into a team that could perhaps challenge Madrid or Barca in the Champion's League.

I think I put Bernard on my transfer target list for Arsenal. I've got Peter Hill-Wood in charge of my transfers, and he's doing better in the game than he does in real life. But I suppose I can't say that really, because I'm not actually sure how much of a say he has in our transfers in real life. It might all be down to Arsene. But Hill-Wood has already nabbed me Jovetic, I wanted him to get Anyukov because obviously Sagna's been injured for the whole pre-season and will be for a couple of weeks into it, so I've been having to play Jenkinson all pre-season and naturally it's been wearing him out. But Anyukov didn't like our deal so that fell through. It's looking likely we'll get Paulinho, who I wanted to strengthen our midfield and then I'm hoping he'll try for Bernard.

But, as much as it pains me to say it, you are actually turning Tottenham into a team that could perhaps challenge Madrid or Barca in the Champion's League.

lol, thank you, I know it must have hurt to say that. I actually prefer having the Chairman in charge to do the leg work, seems to make things run smoother with out the stop/start of negotations. Did you opt for Bernard because you saw him here or did your scout find him? I'm still yet to see his name appear elsewhere yet.

We tried to get another Brazilian striker my scout found Ademilson.. but he opted for Espanyol because of first team footy, so fair enough.

January 2014
january2014.png

Apart from the extremely annoying loss to West Ham in the FA Cup because of a very uncharacteristic mistake by Lloris, the rest of the month was still decent. Only conceding two goals from six matches was a highlight but I can't help but think I should've scored more and definitely should have beaten Liverpool, but I suppose the draw is better than a loss.

Not much else to say on the month. The Champions League is back next month, and I look forward to seeing if my squad can maintain their good form.

Transfers

Incomings: Joao, the 15 year old frenchman that my Director of Football found, looks pretty good. My Director of Football is in charge of signing future youth talent whilst the Chairman is in charge of signing current players.

Outgoings: I decided to loan out Townsend, Livermore and Dempsey as they weren't getting a lot of game time but I didn't want to lose them on a full time basis. And being able to loan two more youngsters out will help their development. Joao, who I signed was loaned out the same day and Peterborough's offer and intention is that he will be a first team player. I look forward to seeing how that works out as he is only 15.

lol, thank you, I know it must have hurt to say that. I actually prefer having the Chairman in charge to do the leg work, seems to make things run smoother with out the stop/start of negotations. Did you opt for Bernard because you saw him here or did your scout find him? I'm still yet to see his name appear elsewhere yet.

We tried to get another Brazilian striker my scout found Ademilson.. but he opted for Espanyol because of first team footy, so fair enough.

I was going to scout him after seeing you mention on here, but while I was looking at other wingers in the transfer centre, I noticed he'd already been scouted and given a four and a half star potential, so I added him to my transfer list.

i took your advice and decided to change to a deep 4-2-3-1 with sandro as an anchorman and huddleston as a DLP. Its is working well and i beat Man City 5-1 at home who are storming it at the top of the league and then beat Liverpool 3-1 too. I am now 4th in the league so have rocketed up the table in last couple months.

Also i changed Levy to take control of transfers and i added Lars Bender, Rodrigo and the young spanish CB you tried to get to my transfer target list. However he didnt sign any in the January. Could this be because i have signed Yarmolenko and Baines and have no budget remaining?

i took your advice and decided to change to a deep 4-2-3-1 with sandro as an anchorman and huddleston as a DLP. Its is working well and i beat Man City 5-1 at home who are storming it at the top of the league and then beat Liverpool 3-1 too. I am now 4th in the league so have rocketed up the table in last couple months.

Also i changed Levy to take control of transfers and i added Lars Bender, Rodrigo and the young spanish CB you tried to get to my transfer target list. However he didnt sign any in the January. Could this be because i have signed Yarmolenko and Baines and have no budget remaining?
Glad the slight change in tactic is working for you too... I've noticed that the touchline shouts work a lot better this year. eg. if you give the ball away to much, shouting "retain possession" works really well for me.

And I think it may be down to no budget yes. Saying that, I had £20m to spend in my last January window and he still didn't sign anyone. Maybe he's not into what everyone calls the "panic buying window" as we were joint top.

February 2014
february2014.png

With only a few games this month it was over and done with within a blink of the eye. -Gareth Bale picking up the player of the month award scoring 5 goals in 3 games (not bad for a winger), and with myself getting the Manager of the Month award.

The United game, I was not expecting at all. We dominated from start to finish, conceding from two crosses but it's beginning to be what I am coming to expect with this current version of the game. A brilliant win put us top of the table as City drew with Arsenal.

Three days later we faced Stoke at home. To my surprise the majority of my team had around 95% fitness so I barely needed to rotate at all. With another six goals scored, I think it's safe to say I may have found my strongest staring XI.

Another four days and we faced Huddersfield and had to make numerous changes due to fitness issues. Bale coming on in the 80th minute and bagging the winner in injury time of a pretty even match. Talk about a smash n' grab.

The Sporting game was a frustrating one. Dominating from start to finish but taking our time in going in front as we went behind early on.

Overall, 100% wins this month. Looking forward to the season run in and trying to maintain this form.

March 2014
march2014.png

Another good month as we proceed to close in on the title, now 4 points clear. The away win to Arsenal left me with a BIG grin on my face as it dampens their chances of Champions League football this year, and then the 5-0 trouncing of the Premier League Champions Newcastle was pleasing to watch as they didn't have a single opportunity on goal.

The only downside was the loss to Chelsea, my first loss in the premier league this season. -I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest, but can't be too down heartened as I'm still sitting pretty at the top.

In the next round of the Champions League I face Atlético Madrid, and if I can get past them it looks like a possible semi final with Barcelona who are facing Dortmund... watch this space.

Hello again! Wow what a season! Just finished my 1st year in charge and sealed 4th spot on the last day of the season with United settling for fifth. Champs league not guarenteed straight away until Man City beat United 1-0 at Wembley.

Bale won the PFA Player of the Year award racking 17 goals and 14 assists, easily one of the stand out performers in any fm team i have EVER had. I found it annoyingly hard to agree on a deal with Huddlestone but in the end i gave in and gave him what he wanted, he had a great season with Sandro at CDM.

Time to create a shortlist and start signing some players to help me compete next year, i'm still waiting for that 1st trophy. Hopefully Levy will support me and sign the players i suggest.

You're smashing it in the prem and not doing too badly in the champs league either. Am following your thread daily mate. COYS

To add to that i've just asked for a new stadium and to my absolute shock he has said yes!

View attachment 280127
Nice! I wish they were more imaginative with their names for stadiums, lol. -I think the rotation has really helped me in this second season and we have got a couple of decent players coming through our youth system who I am excited about. I don't want to rush them though, but they're only 15 & 16 (a DC and DMC) so I have plenty of time.

At the start of the season, someone asked if I'd be challenging for the Title. And I honestly thought I'd have no chance because of how close the top 7 were in my league the season before. But it seems like we've improved whilst others have stagnated.

And as much as I want to do well in the Champs League, I think I can get to the semis, but I can't see us passing Barcelona. But you never know, lol.

Glad to hear you're doing well, I finished 4th in my first season too. I do regret not being able to sign Falcao... in my January transfer window Levy signed him in this second season, I played one match with him then half way through the match the game froze. I didn't save it after he had signed and couldn't get him to consider it when I reloaded the game, weren't impressed, lol.

Very nice story mate i will be following this. Good luck in the rest of the season and the ones to come ofc and congratulations for the stadium approval

Very nice story mate i will be following this. Good luck in the rest of the season and the ones to come ofc and congratulations for the stadium approval
Cheers mate, and thanks for following.

If you dont mind me asking what do you think of the game so far? Is it good? better than the previous FM or not?

If you dont mind me asking what do you think of the game so far? Is it good? better than the previous FM or not?
I'll be honest, I am completely and utterly hooked. But I don't know if it's because the novelty hasn't worn off yet. -The addition of Staff Delegation has helped me a treat as there are some things that I don't enjoy doing. And giving a list of players to the chairman and letting them negotiate speeds up game time for me too.

I see. I preordered the game but i did it from a local shop to save some money so i wont be getting the beta. Your story and pics is a way of me seeing what the game has to offer so i will be supporting you. Keep up the good work.

April 2014
april2014.png

Well after having 8 matches in 28 days, it looks like all of our hard work through the whole season may end up in a trophy-less season.

Starting with the Champions League, the Atlético Madrid first leg was a hard fought draw in a tightly contested affair. I was waiting for the same to happen in the second leg once more but we happened to dominate that match and ease to success setting up a Semi Final against Barcelona.
Starting away in the first leg at the Nou Camp, we managed to go in at half time at 0-0. Only for us to come out, and Kaboul making a mistake and Fabregas capitalising, then Messi following up a few minutes late. We just couldn't get back into it. -In the second leg, I was expecting a trouncing so I decided to do what everyone wants to see their team do and that was attack against Barcelona. It didn't start off too well as we went behind to an early Messi goal, but then our fortunes changed. We dominated the majority of the match taking a 3-1 lead.. with 5 minutes left we changed to an overload mentality and in the 92nd minute, Bale scored.. only for it to be questionably chalked off. A little gutted, but the 3-1 win was brilliant.

In the premiership, I was on course for the Premiership until the Fulham match in between the Barcelona games.. I perhaps foolishly made 11 changes as I wanted my players fresh for the home leg, which ultimately didn't pay off.

With the loss to Fulham, we have dropped to second, a point behind City with 3 games to go. Disappointing but not over yet!

Back