Capello resigns - Hodgson appointed England boss

I still remain convinced that no one could have done a better job with this current crop of players than Capello. Maybe that will change with the new group of players coming through, but he really did the best he could.

I just want to picture this - Euro gone by, World cup gone by, we have two more dreadful performances with an English manager in charge, where will the press run to then?

Oh and P.S, thanks for posting the Barry Fry video earlier. He gives a perfect photograph of why we're are very much disliked around the globe.

I think he did make some errors though. Notable Wayne Rooney, went to south africa, still havent not really recovered from his injury, and yet we tried to base our whole play round him... as a result of Rooneys immobility we went rigid 4-4-2, when it was probably better to bench him. Still wanted to see what he could have done in the Euros

Also someone needs to recall Carrick while Wilshere is out. We bang on about possession, then get a player who excels at it

The Football Association was left in an impossible situation given the actions of Fabio Capello, according to the House of Commons.Sports Minister Hugh Robertson said the England manager had badly mishandled the situation around John Terry's racism charge. Terry has denied the charge and faces trial, but Capello on Wednesday night quit in protest at the FA's decision to strip him of the captaincy until a trial is resolved later this year.
Speaking at Culture, Media and Sport Questions in the Commons, Mr Robertson said: "The FA had absolutely no option but to strip John Terry of the captaincy. Not to prejudge the court case, but simply because it would have been impossible for him to discharge his responsibilities as captain of the England team with that hanging over him.
Tough

"I think it is a very great shame Fabio Capello has acted in the way he has. If a player in his team had behaved in the way he has behaved to the FA, he would have taken the toughest possible action. I'm delighted the FA have agreed with him he should no longer be manager."

Conservative MP Therese Coffey (Suffolk Coastal) had asked: "Will you agree the leadership of David Bernstein in recent days on matters of judgment and condemn the decision of Fabio Capello to walk out on the England team with only a few months to go until Euro 2012?"

Speaking earlier, Prime Minister David Cameron said: "I think he was a good coach and a good man. I don't think he was right about the John Terry issue. You can't be captain with that question mark that needs to be answered. England now needs a new coach and a new captain and I hope we can get on with that and make the best of the opportunity this summer."

(SSN)

Good to see that politicians are really clued in as usual.

Most Tories are ****** with heads so far up their own ***** you wonder if they've ever seen the sun.

What's new?

Touche.

You'll notice mine extends to everyone that votes for them though.

Ok i have mad respect for Mr Capello after he resigned he is a world class manager one of the all time greats imo but if i'm completely honest when it comes to International football An Englishman should be managing the English National side just like a Scot should manage Scotland and so on every national side should be managed by someone from that country or like some players have grandparents that are from there it makes much more sense than a complete foreigner who has zero ties to the country some people won't agree with me but hey it's my opinion

The FA are ****** with heads so far up their own ***** you wonder if they've ever seen the sun.

What's new?

I'd prefer to go along with this slightly edited version tbh

So what if Capello had the best win % record? We beat poor teams, and failed against anybody we would actually class as "decent". We failed in WC, that's what's important, not being unbeaten against teams like Belarus and Andorra.

I guess there's two ways of looking at it: 1) Capello is a God, who can go unbeaten in qualifiers but our players are total bottlers. 2) A monkey [with an IQ higher than Steve McClaren (I think his IQ is 14)] could have guided England to the WC.

I kind of Respect Capello for leaving, but in all honesty he never should have given Terry the captaincy back, you can blame the FA all you want but he made the mistake or taking it from Rio [without telling him] and giving it back to Terry.

None of this would have happen without postponing Terry's trial.

Its absolutely hilarious when i think about it. Whoever made this decision must be fuming. Postpone the trial to avoid possible drama that would harm the Euro campaign... end up causing 10x bigger blowout.

So what if Capello had the best win % record? We beat poor teams, and failed against anybody we would actually class as "decent". We failed in WC, that's what's important, not being unbeaten against teams like Belarus and Andorra.
In terms of performances you didn't give a good image at the WC, but in terms of results, going out to Germany is no shame, considering one of the goals wasn't actually a goal IIRC a 3-1 defeat isn't all that bad, alas the goal was given and a 4-1 looks pretty bad, I'll give you that. But you weren't exactly favourites, and with all due respect Germany had by far a better team. All in all it wasn't all that bad. It could've been a lot worse... you could've been managed by Maradona and played Jonas Gutierrez as RB over Zanetti. Now THAT is bad.

[h=2]FOOTBALL bosses were RIGHT to axe John Terry as England captain — according to an exclusive Sun survey.[/h] The FA were backed by the public in our specially-commissioned poll.
Fabio Capello was fuming with his paymasters after their decision to get rid of Terry as captain ahead of Euro 2012.
Ultimately, the decision by the FA last night led to the resignation of Capello as England chief.
But the majority of the public insist Capello was WRONG to publicly back Terry.
YouGov asked nearly 1,800 people about the issues — before Capello's departure — which were rocking English football to its foundations.

Fabio Capello quits England: FA sacking JT was right... Capello backing JT was wrong | The Sun |Sport|Football

Losing Capello is a mistake. I hope we thrash Holland and Pearce gets a chance at the job full time, but even then the blinkered FA probably wouldn't take note. Hiddink would be decent, not sure 'Arry will be.

Let's see where Stuart Pearce can take us. Holland is a good team. Not in the same league as Germany or Spain but still good. If we can do well, then the FA should look at making him permanent. If not then I think Harry Redknapp, Guus Hiddink, Jose Mourinho or Roy Hodgson gets the job (They've got experience)

Right decision by the FA to give Pearce job tempoarily then reassess after the Holland game. Would give Pearce some much needed experience if he has ambitions to manage the team in the future

Sven was loved by the england players, he liked them too to be fair. 3 QF's in a row, all pretty close too. Give me a steely professional over some chest thumping ape who doesn know what he's doing, Sven cared about the players and winning
I posted that video to my friend (he thinks next manager should be English) and he agrees with Fry! Crazy. He then put it on facebook and more people have agreed with him! even crazier. The guy had a sort of decent point but put it across like he's a total moron!

In terms of performances you didn't give a good image at the WC, but in terms of results, going out to Germany is no shame, considering one of the goals wasn't actually a goal IIRC a 3-1 defeat isn't all that bad, alas the goal was given and a 4-1 looks pretty bad, I'll give you that. But you weren't exactly favourites, and with all due respect Germany had by far a better team. All in all it wasn't all that bad. It could've been a lot worse... you could've been managed by Maradona and played Jonas Gutierrez as RB over Zanetti. Now THAT is bad.

If we hadn't of performed so badly we wouldn't have played Germany. Or if we had at least had some form going into that game we would have given a better performance. We should have given them a better game, disallowed goal or not.

I'd much rather we won 4 games in a row then lost to Germany under Maradona..

Last edited:
If we hadn't of performed so badly we wouldn't have played Germany. Or if we had at least had some form going into that game we would have given a better performance. We should have given them a better game, disallowed goal or not.

I'd much rather we won 4 games in a row then lost to Germany under Maradona..

Capello made a mistake tactically, but then 2 of the goals were basic mistakes, that had no bearing on him. His error was allowing himself to follow the country line that Rooney was undroppable, despite him being injured and still not really recovered