Coalition launches Libya attacks

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 406
  • Views Views 21K
After WWII there economy went through a major boom...
The only country whose economy didn't really was Britain. Germany's economy was better than Britain's at the end.

Keynes stated that a large war creates growth for an economy, nothing new there. It's only short term though, war has nothing to do with America's economic strength.

After WWII there economy went through a major boom...
The only country whose economy didn't really was Britain. Germany's economy was better than Britain's at the end.

And exactly how does that relate to today or support your initial statement? America are going bankrupt fighting wars at the moment.

Wow. That compound is totalled. Unsurprisingly, Gadaffi has buggered off somewhere. Looks like he's going through one of the tunnel networks

Running away, like all good cowards do

Before WWII America had no Economy or Industry, the war changed all that.

Actually it did, what WWII did was help it recover from the long term effects of the Great Depression. Its not what has sustained it for the last 60+ years though is it? so your initial statement is horribly flawed

The economy was virtually non-existent, we're doing the great depression in history just now. So what has sustained it? Borrowing, borrowing doesn't make you powerful, war does.

Laughing at what's being said on different websites, blaming the West for all this. This has NOTHING to do with West. The people chose to stand up to a ruthless, barbaric, murderous dictator. And also, these sort of troubles have been happening all the time-as far back as roman times when the country was split in two. So it's pretty much not the first time this has happened. Nothing to do with us starting it at all.

The economy was virtually non-existent, we're doing the great depression in history just now. So what has sustained it? Borrowing, borrowing doesn't make you powerful, war does.

Did you bother to read what i just said? And do you understand the basics of economy? because America is bleeding money because of recent war. In what possible sense does your statment ring true? studying the great depression is irrelevant to the complexities of America's modern economy.

You're wrong, pure and simple.

Back to Libya...

Did you bother to read what i just said? And do you understand the basics of economy? because America is bleeding money because of recent war. In what possible sense does your statment ring true? studying the great depression is irrelevant to the complexities of America's modern economy.

You're wrong, pure and simple.

Back to Libya...

Okay, i'm wrong :(

History isn't economics. War forces you to borrow money and circulate it around your domestic economy. In WWII, firms were inundated with requests to build weapons, tanks, planes etc. employment was close to being full due to everybody being in the army and productive capacity was almost full. Hence why the economy grows, and hence why Keynes said world war 2 helped cure the great depression. It's still only short term. After the war ends, employment drops rapidly as the army has far too much surplus, factories have nothing to produce as we don't need planes and tanks any more, no one has the money to demand goods that those factories could make, the economy suddenly has far too much spare capital that's serviced by no demand, no jobs are being created and the economy stutters to a halt. Plus, you have a ton of money that you owe, meaning deficit cuts. War by no means builds a powerful economy, and nor does borrowing. America's powerful because it has masses of land, is run by the capitalist machine, has the capital from the industrial revolution and global export links.

And I really hope your history teacher didn't teach you this ****.

Last edited:
History isn't economics. War forces you to borrow money and circulate it around your domestic economy. In WWII, firms were inundated with requests to build weapons, tanks, planes etc. employment was close to being full due to everybody being in the army and productive capacity was almost full. Hence why the economy grows, and hence why Keynes said world war 2 helped cure the great depression. It's still only short term. After the war ends, employment drops rapidly as the army has far too much surplus, factories have nothing to produce as we don't need planes and tanks any more, no one has the money to demand goods that those factories could make, the economy suddenly has far too much spare capital that's serviced by no demand, no jobs are being created and the economy stutters to a halt. Plus, you have a ton of money that you owe, meaning deficit cuts. War by no means builds a powerful economy, and nor does borrowing. America's powerful because it has masses of land, is run by the capitalist machine, has the capital from the industrial revolution and global export links.

And I really hope your history teacher didn't teach you this ****.

You'd be staggered believe me. Some teachers don't even teach World War 2 history in some schools for fear of upsetting people so they totally skip it.

Feels so good watching the reports with the civilians. 6months of fighting and it is coming to and end. WOOOOO

Feels so good watching the reports with the civilians. 6months of fighting and it is coming to and end. WOOOOO

Great for the people. don't think they'll be truly happy til they get hold of him though.
Algeria will be getting nervous though

Sky seem to be so far ahead of the BBC on the situation. Even yesterday BBC were reporting that the rebels were moving towards Tripoli and that they expected tough resistance and the pictures showed the sun still up. At the same time Sky had the latest with them showing the rebels being in Tripoli with very little resistance when it was night.

Alex Crawford has done such a great job, so ******* brave. Hats off to her.

NATO was supposed to be a civillian protector, it's become a rebel bomb squad.

Libya is going to collapse as a nation, like what happened to Iraq following the invasion. Will be interestingto see how political this is and if NATO continue to help out nations in similar circumstances, will they help the smaller Bahrain? I don't think so. They won't inervene with the Saudi's either because of the business links.

Not saying I don't want Gadaffi's reign taken down, but bombing the cities and ruining the towns for the civillians who will have to take partin the rebuilding.

Difficult times.

Don't really see why people are happy. Sure Gaddafi is going, yes, he was a brutal and murderous dictator, yes, he deserves to be hung by the balls..

But what's going to happen once this fine country inevitably slips into total ******* anarchy? The Russians and us decide to come knocking? It's all part of a bigger picture...

That is what i was taught. The war caused economic boom. Factories in America thrives, stocks went up and haven't come back down really to the depths of the depression. Soldiers returned home to a victorious America who made cars, built the suburbs and employed millions in the space program.
If any of this is wrong, it is not my fault. It is my history teacher Mr. Hare who taught me what i know so blame him.

You don't need a war for factories to thrive or to create a space program. Short term, yes, factories thrived, but a war hasn't maintained America's growth for 60 years. No offence, your teacher's an idiot and should stick to his actual field. War is currently bleeding America dry, and globalisation of trade means their factories etc. don't even get as much benefit.

Anyhow, Libya. :)

Libya is ****** dude... Nothing more to say. Matter of time before the Russians and us decide to come knocking once it slips into total ******* anarchy.

Back