England not ready yet!

Its so frustrating watching players like A.Cole, Lampard, Rooney, Lennon etc all playing absolute **** when they've had such good seasons, I just think our media never helps the problem to be honest and until they stop hyping things up in this country so much it will never change in my opinion

Hence the saying England Expects. We do it every year the WC is on. Relate to 1966.

It'll never change. The press will roast the team tomorrow and put even more pressure on them.

Oh well. I support Germany now.

We were awful, the only players who did anything in my eyes were James, Cole, Barry and Defoe, everyone else was rubbish, Lampard is just ***** for England, Capello needs to show some balls and just drop him

Its a shame Defoe cant really fit in with Rooney uptop, he looked good when he came on :(

Only the players can prove us wrong , i personally dont find it capellos fault , managers have come and go through england through the last few years have any single one of them made a difference not from what i have seen , to me its down to the players there just doesnt seem to be any belief , controlled aggression , or determination any more which is most probably what won them the world cup in 66 the belief , desire , compassion , its all gone now the pundits have poked and looked for excuses for it , its heskey , its 1 up front , its the heat , its this its that , just face it when i watch england i fail to pick out any player that is running there total 100% in a game i just don't , i think they need an english manager , and a good one , someone who can get it into there heads we are england grab the world by the scruff of the neck and show them why we have the best league in the world . If you look at at the england team more often than not we have a power advantage over most teams in the world lets get the ball and run over them all , like chelsea with mourinho pure power and directness and belief .
i undertsand some of what you say, but part of it tonight was the formation, it wasnt all on their heads.

look at this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

the left is how we should have played, the right is how we played (algeria are in white, dont ask why, i just did it that way!)
with the 4-4-2, they always a spare man in midfield and defence, why made it easy to nullify our already shoddy moves and break away easily. a better team playing 3-5-2 would have shredded us tonight.

on the right shows how they would be stretched. we have god passing options trough the midfield, when the full back gets forward the wingback has to commit, which means when the wide players and rooney get forward, the centre backs have to stretch put the front three one on one with the defender, and iback our three to take theirs. also gerrards positions immediately pins back the very central midfielder, as he has to stay with him or leave him in acres of space in the whole, again barry and lampard have just two players to pass around, giving them more time to pick their options

Rooney needs to be dropped aswell, who cares if hes arguably our best player, hes been ****, you should be in the england team on merit, not reputation, and not taking a NATURALLY left footed winger has bit capello in the ***, Johnson or A Young should have gone

Maybe defoe should be in and it might stop them looking for the easy pass to heskey all the time maybe then they would it get on the floor and play proper football , who knows though so many questions so little answers

Last edited:
Its a grassroots problem imo. Other nations are taught to get the ball down and play it. Here its lump it forward quick and if you try and play it but make a mistake you get crucified even at under age level.

I may be biased but Paul Scholes would have made a massive difference in the WC. If you have the ball its much harder for the opposition to score (unless Rob Green is doing nets of course ;))

Rooney needs to be dropped aswell, who cares if hes arguably our best player, hes been ****, you should be in the england team on merit, not reputation, and not taking a NATURALLY left footed winger has bit capello in the ***, Johnson or A Young should have gone
rooney dropped, maybe but i dont agree about the left footer. not playing joe cole has bit him in the ***. the game was crying out for flair and guile

A forward is only as good as the service he gets hence Rooney has been poor. Messi would struggle in that team.

And A Young is right footed

A forward is only as good as the service he gets hence Rooney has been poor. Messi would struggle in that team.

And A Young is right footed
the system was flawed from the start, doubt young or johnson would have made the difference

I get you totally madsheep i think the formation is wrong myself , for other games id just drop a dm and play one up top behind the strikers

2nite with them playing the 352 formation we were always gonna be outnumbered in midfield and midfield which hurts me to say it because they aren't playing well the midfield is the best part of the team i think the strongest section , what u say is spot on m8 never argued with that point just believe the players no matter what formation wouldnt have performed tonight , they just looked tired , maybe they have over trained for this world cup and its taking a bit out of them , i wonder if capello has been working on a plan b also if he hasnt i cant see us doing anything in this world cup although i said at the start before any games i had a feeling england were gonna under perform due to all these expectations all over the media , leave them alone let them play then have your say and see what happens .

I get you totally madsheep i think the formation is wrong myself , for other games id just drop a dm and play one up top behind the strikers

2nite with them playing the 352 formation we were always gonna be outnumbered in midfield and midfield which hurts me to say it because they aren't playing well the midfield is the best part of the team i think the strongest section , what u say is spot on m8 never argued with that point just believe the players no matter what formation wouldnt have performed tonight , they just looked tired , maybe they have over trained for this world cup and its taking a bit out of them , i wonder if capello has been working on a plan b also if he hasnt i cant see us doing anything in this world cup although i said at the start before any games i had a feeling england were gonna under perform due to all these expectations all over the media , leave them alone let them play then have your say and see what happens .
i agree with some of the mental stuff. england need a man-manager coach, someone like redknapp,who is very good at drawing players together. look at argentina, we have all mocked him (myself included) but the players love playing for him and it shows in how they play.

Could be another aspect , maradona has a crazy personality and he is a generally bubbly guy , capello at times seems motionless and just doesn't seem like he would let it go to the players he seems like the kind of guy even though he is grumpy he would just say in a soft voice , that was terrible , the players need someone like fergie to throw some boots at them and kick them up the **** , the warnings were there really against Japan 1st half and other warm up games i could see something wasn't right , if i remember before the croatia game that we won 5 - 1 a lot of the media were nervous expecting the worse and putting the team down , they went out performed and blew a very good side away that night , maybe after the slating later today it will wake them up a bit lol (HOPE SO)

I said it before the game had started I think, that we really needed Barry to play well otherwise we'd struggle to keep the ball. Barry played okay, but sadly not good enough but we cant just look at him for the lack of ability at keeping hold of the ball, so many misplaced passes by Gerrard, Lampard, Lennon, and Rooney a lot aswell. Heskey's passing was okay but he didnt manage to stay on his feet long enough afterwards to do anything else. :S

I thought England were going to be on fire for the world cup, just like qualifying, but they're even worse now than they were under Sven. I can't believe we're in the situation where the team can't even score against weaker opposition (with all do respect) and now they're on the edge of being out of the tournament.

the system was flawed from the start, doubt young or johnson would have made the difference

That's what's confusing me. Capello's not an idiot so why has he gone for the 'comfort' of 4-4-2. Beckenbauer's criticisms were pretty much spot on - England have reverted to type and they're looking darned awful as a result. Question's got to be 'why?'.

Graham Taylor got pulled into speaking his mind tonight on 5Live - now he's a good man and he doesn't put the boot in lightly and it was obvious that he really didn't want to expand on what he meant about things not being 'right' behind the scenes. But he came out with the explanation that England aren't actually training together as a 'team' with things like shadow play and that Capello is currently relying on the players' own ability to pull them through rather than more in-depth preparation.

That's a massive problem if true and would explain the disjointed displays we've seen so far.

I think Capello may have overestimated the 'natural ability' of the team after the qualification went to so well and this team isn't actually able to function as a team (some journos are hinting that there are various players in the squad who don't get on). Is he playing 4-4-2 because he thinks that will help them as they'll have to focus less on the tactical side? Is he playing his best eleven rather than his best team in the hope that their natural ability will mean that the basics will come more easily? Has he underestimated substantially how fragile the confidence of the English team is given the pressure that ludicrously high expectations generates?

It's all most bizarre. Especially given how the Egypt friendly was intended to provide a dress rehearsal for the Algeria game and yet neither Capello nor the players seem to have learned anything from it.

One thought I had is that perhaps it's the lack of pace at centreback which is the problem and Terry and Carra playing so deep out of necessity (plus their equal lack of ability to, erm, let's say pass more than 5 yards accurately) might have meant reverting to something a little more basic. But if that's the issue, why not drop Lampard and put Carrick in to help shield the defence?

Confuzzling to say the least.

lmao that must have took some typing m8 thats a fkn monologue ,

On topic I agree with everything you said

That's what's confusing me. Capello's not an idiot so why has he gone for the 'comfort' of 4-4-2. Beckenbauer's criticisms were pretty much spot on - England have reverted to type and they're looking darned awful as a result. Question's got to be 'why?'.

Graham Taylor got pulled into speaking his mind tonight on 5Live - now he's a good man and he doesn't put the boot in lightly and it was obvious that he really didn't want to expand on what he meant about things not being 'right' behind the scenes. But he came out with the explanation that England aren't actually training together as a 'team' with things like shadow play and that Capello is currently relying on the players' own ability to pull them through rather than more in-depth preparation.

That's a massive problem if true and would explain the disjointed displays we've seen so far.

I think Capello may have overestimated the 'natural ability' of the team after the qualification went to so well and this team isn't actually able to function as a team (some journos are hinting that there are various players in the squad who don't get on). Is he playing 4-4-2 because he thinks that will help them as they'll have to focus less on the tactical side? Is he playing his best eleven rather than his best team in the hope that their natural ability will mean that the basics will come more easily? Has he underestimated substantially how fragile the confidence of the English team is given the pressure that ludicrously high expectations generates?

It's all most bizarre. Especially given how the Egypt friendly was intended to provide a dress rehearsal for the Algeria game and yet neither Capello nor the players seem to have learned anything from it.

One thought I had is that perhaps it's the lack of pace at centreback which is the problem and Terry and Carra playing so deep out of necessity (plus their equal lack of ability to, erm, let's say pass more than 5 yards accurately) might have meant reverting to something a little more basic. But if that's the issue, why not drop Lampard and put Carrick in to help shield the defence?

Confuzzling to say the least.
Its unbelievable how wasted you are on this forum, Zeb.

Its unbelievable how wasted you are on this forum, Zeb.
this.

on the deep centrebacks, i agree you could play carrick and barry almost as two dmcs, they both have great passing ability, and in gerrard rooney, lennon cole, you have willing runners, might not be pretty but it would be stable

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

im not sure why he would think 4-4-2 though, none of the big players, bar rooney occaisonally, play it for their clubs. in fact starting tonigh dont only lennon and heskey consistently play in 4-4-2?

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

zonalmarking has just done their article on tonight, and EVERYTHING we've all just been going on about has been mentioned. if we can all see it, surely capello does?

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/06/19/england-0-0-algeria-tactics/