First person to live to 1000 has already been born

So we don't need friends ? Joel, GC, Mads attack him for saying that. lol.Ok you can be happy without friends, family, and everybody else. But you need to replace them with something else. But, there must be some reason for not having friends, maybe you don't like sharing your personal stuff, ideas etc. Either way, there's selfishness in that.

Correct. Attack me? Why. Friends aren't necessary when you have the internet and I don't really think it's necessary to replace them. Some people just like to be alone, I don't know why, but that's the way some people are.

All of this isn't from personal experience btw. Thought I would clarify that because when I read it back it sounds like I'm a loner, which isn't the case, but I'm sure I'd be just fine without friends. Oh, and I don't like sharing personal things because they are exactly that - personal, it's only my business and it's not selfish if I don't want to share it.

1. I don't know, I can't read minds. Why did you help that old woman ?
2. You don't need your PC right ? Why don't you sell it and give the money for the charity ?
3. Like I said, you want best things for you and your family. You'll be fine if some kid in Africa don't have shoes.
4. I'm not very smart, so can you help me with 4th part ? About Light speed and space travel ?

1. Because he isn't selfish. Surely that was the point he was making...
2. For one, you're the one saying the World is selfish in everyway. Yet you have a PC... And why does he need to sell his PC to give to charity? Can he not just give them money? And on top of that, why should he give money to charity? He worked for that money(or his parents, unknown age), and the last time I checked in this World, money was essential for living. What if he earns minimum wage and a barely survives on nothing apart from the essentials every week. (Sorry GodCubed :))
3. I'm afraid not a lot of people in this World can afford to care for anyone but people close to them... And surely if the World was as selfish as you say they were, they wouldn't even help the people close to them.
4. Well we can currently travel to the moon, yeah. And, at this moment, can't travel at the speed of light. So, how do you think we are able to get to the moon at the moment? If not at the speed of light?

Dunno. But I did. Can tell you it wasn't for selfish reasons though.

Strawman argument. I don't need this, but I want it, thus I keep it. Me keeping my computer is pretty selfish, sure, but not everything I do is selfish.

No, you weren't listening. I'm well aware that my life is comfortable: I cannot find it within myself to want more than what I already have. Because that would be selfish. ;)

Light speed is how fast light travels, but we don't need to be going light speed to travel in space.

1. You must have some reason to help that old woman. Maybe you wanted to feel better, but situation made you feel worst. However your selfishness helped that poor woman. I feel sorry for her.
2. Even on unnecessary things like PC, our selfishness shows itself. You must listen to your mom, if you don't she can punish you and then you'll be unhappy. So, key to happiness is selfishness, positive one. Not like Shang Tsung ( from Mortal Kombat :p ) who wants to rule the world.
3. Would you settle for less ? What if you see some new PC, TV, Xbox... you want to buy it, to replace old ones, and to improve your life. Right ? Don't tell me you never bought new phone or something like that, just because its better then your old one.
4. We don't need light speed to travel in space, but we do need it if we want to get on Jupiter's moon in reasonable time. Not waiting for 15 years to arrive at "normal speed". Maybe there's some other way, dunno. But it seems like far future for me.

You are right. Like I said, i don't want to live for 1000 years. If you do, then you are selfish. Leave some space for your grandchildren.
GC, if you want to continue this, please send me PM or VM and we'll continue this tomorrow. Ps. how my English, am I getting better? It's the only reason why am I, in the first place, arguing with uou guys.

You're selfish if you commit suicide too..

Is there any way at all to avoid being selfish?

1. Because he isn't selfish. Surely that was the point he was making...
2. For one, you're the one saying the World is selfish in everyway. Yet you have a PC... And why does he need to sell his PC to give to charity? Can he not just give them money? And on top of that, why should he give money to charity? He worked for that money(or his parents, unknown age), and the last time I checked in this World, money was essential for living. What if he earns minimum wage and a barely survives on nothing apart from the essentials every week. (Sorry GodCubed :))
3. I'm afraid not a lot of people in this World can afford to care for anyone but people close to them... And surely if the World was as selfish as you say they were, they wouldn't even help the people close to them.
4. Well we can currently travel to the moon, yeah. And, at this moment, can't travel at the speed of light. So, how do you think we are able to get to the moon at the moment? If not at the speed of light?

1. But he had to have some reason for doing that. Read my previous post about no1.
2. I don't want to sold my Pc cuz im selfish. And If some guy barely survives, I doubt he'll have PC.
3. By helping them, you help yourself. It's nice act to help someone, but you do it for yourself (mostly)
4. Previous post :p
GC. Thanks for kind words about my English. I know I can spell and write better than CJakco ( sorry :p ) but you've been to kind :blushes: :)

1. You must have some reason to help that old woman. Maybe you wanted to feel better, but situation made you feel worst. However your selfishness helped that poor woman. I feel sorry for her.
2. Even on unnecessary things like PC, our selfishness shows itself. You must listen to your mom, if you don't she can punish you and then you'll be unhappy. So, key to happiness is selfishness, positive one. Not like Shang Tsung ( from Mortal Kombat :p ) who wants to rule the world.
3. Would you settle for less ? What if you see some new PC, TV, Xbox... you want to buy it, to replace old ones, and to improve your life. Right ? Don't tell me you never bought new phone or something like that, just because its better then your old one.
4. We don't need light speed to travel in space, but we do need it if we want to get on Jupiter's moon in reasonable time. Not waiting for 15 years to arrive at "normal speed". Maybe there's some other way, dunno. But it seems like far future for me.

4. We've already been to the moons of Jupiter/Saturn many times, and that's with 1970's engineering. We don't need anything near the speed of light to travel around our own solar system, as has been proven. Don't forget space is a vacuum, so even a tiny initial acceleration will become massive over the distance Earth-Jupiter.

Serious debate going on, think we succeeded in creating one.

[video=youtube;NDHYZtwjFTs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDHYZtwjFTs&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Thought I'd lighten the mood a tad.

You're selfish if you commit suicide too..

Is there any way at all to avoid being selfish?

Yes you are. You can donate your organs then commit suicide, or you can spend your life helping other people. In that way, you'll get meaning and you'll do some good things. But still, you'll do it to feel better. So, I don't think there's no way to avoid being selfish.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

4. We've already been to the moons of Jupiter/Saturn many times, and that's with 1970's engineering. We don't need anything near the speed of light to travel around our own solar system, as has been proven. Don't forget space is a vacuum, so even a tiny initial acceleration will become massive over the distance Earth-Jupiter.

I believe you, because I don't know much about that. I like to observe people and think about their actions better :)

So your suggestion is that we don't upgrade technology and we should have stayed in the stone age, not being able to speak.

How about this...

Van, I hereby forbid you from recieving any form of education from now - as it's selfish and you're using it for personal gain.
Van, I hereby forbid you from using anyform of transport - as it's selfish and you're using it for personal gain.
Van, I hereby forbid you from speaking(or using in any form) any language - as it's selfish and you're using it for personal gain.
Van, I hereby forbid you from using ANY form of technology(weaponry, shelter, anything involving electricty and so on and so forth - as it's selfish to use them and they're used for personal gain...

You see, the human race wouldn't have lasted anymore than a few days if "selfish" acts weren't used. Infact, you wouldn't be alive, having this conversation...

Yes you are. You can donate your organs then commit suicide, or you can spend your life helping other people. In that way, you'll get meaning and you'll do some good things. But still, you'll do it to feel better. So, I don't think there's no way to avoid being selfish.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

I believe you, because I don't know much about that. I like to observe people and think about their actions better :)

So... there is no way not to be selfish? :S:S:S:S:S:S:S:S

Jimmer, what ( sorry) Jamie what's your opinion, why did GC help that poor old woman ?

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

So your suggestion is that we don't upgrade technology and we should have stayed in the stone age, not being able to speak.

How about this...

Van, I hereby forbid you from recieving any form of education from now - as it's selfish and you're using it for personal gain.
Van, I hereby forbid you from using anyform of transport - as it's selfish and you're using it for personal gain.
Van, I hereby forbid you from speaking(or using in any form) any language - as it's selfish and you're using it for personal gain.
Van, I hereby forbid you from using ANY form of technology(weaponry, shelter, anything involving electricty and so on and so forth - as it's selfish to use them and they're used for personal gain...

You see, the human race wouldn't have lasted anymore than a few days if "selfish" acts weren't used. Infact, you wouldn't be alive, having this conversation...

Its different. And yes, we are using all those stuff for personal gain.
Lets say this way. You have good PC ( lets say 4Gb ram, nvidia 9800 2Gb, Quad core 3.2). you don't need better PC then that one. But still, you'll buy another slot of RAM memory, just because you can. You want to make your PC as best as possible. That why you don't download WIN7 from piratebay, FM from Iso hunt etc etc. You want best things for yourself and your family.

Last edited:
You're also depriving your family/friends/loved ones of well, you. Putting them through tremendous grief for your own personal greed. What's more selfish may I ask?

Exploration of Jupiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

****, I could do the crude calculations for the speed you could reach in going to Jupiter if I could be bothered.

I'm going to be honest, I lost track from about page 6 and just responded to the ''Selfish'' definition comments, your all talking about Aliens/Space travel or something right?

Anyway I'm out made my point on evolution=self preservation gene inside everyone

Unless anyone starts yabbering on about us not being animals/genetics/evolution/faith then I doubt I'll jump back in on this.

You are right. Like I said, i don't want to live for 1000 years. If you do, then you are selfish. Leave some space for your grandchildren.

But then, doesn't that mean my grandchildren are being selfish in making me not live my life to the fullest so they can live theirs?

Selfish bastards.

You're also depriving your family/friends/loved ones of well, you. Putting them through tremendous grief for your own personal greed. What's more selfish may I ask?

Exploration of Jupiter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

****, I could do the crude calculations for the speed you could reach in going to Jupiter if I could be bothered.

Please don't, I don't care about that stuff. But if you want to show off, be my guest.
Wait, you should trying to convince me that we are not selfish, not vice versa. But I agree with you, can't remember at this moment anything more selfish.

But then, doesn't that mean my grandchildren are being selfish in making me not live my life to the fullest so they can live theirs?

Selfish bastards.

You want best for your family , so do they for you. But the question is, who's right, you or them?

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

I'm going to be honest, I lost track from about page 6 and just responded to the ''Selfish'' definition comments, your all talking about Aliens/Space travel or something right?

Anyway I'm out made my point on evolution=self preservation gene inside everyone

Unless anyone starts yabbering on about us not being animals/genetics/evolution/faith then I doubt I'll jump back in on this.

Nope, I think we are talking about do we want to live for 1000 years or not. I think, not sure. And that gene makes us selfish. We are genetic mistake, a nature fault. Nothing more, nothing less.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

[video=youtube;zyUXLzKWxLs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyUXLzKWxLs&feature=feedlik[/video]

This has nothing to do with thread, but it's cool song. here's lyrics.
I'm taking a ride off to one side
It is a personal thing.
Where?
When I can't stand
Up in this cage I'm not regretting.

I don't need a better thing,
I'd settle for less,
It's another thing for me,
I just have to wander through this world
Alone.

Stop before you fall
Into the hole that I have dug here,
Rest even as you
Are starting to feel the way I used to,
I don't need a better thing
(Just to sound confused)
Don't talk about everyone,
I am not amused by you.

I'm gonna lose you,
Yeah I'm gonna lose you
If I'm gonna lose you,

I'm gonna lose you,
Yeah I'm gonna lose you
If I'm gonna lose you
I'll lose you now for good

Van, I accepted at the start of your argument we're all selfish. I see no problem with it, so why would I argue against it?

And wasn't going to show off, hence the 'can't be bothered'. But if even someone with just an A-level Physics education can do rough calculations for the velocity, then it's easily within our current engineering technology.

Nope, I think we are talking about do we want to live for 1000 years or not. I think, not sure. And that gene makes us selfish. We are genetic mistake, a nature fault. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, lets live in a hypothetical World in which the human race is, by your definition, "perfect."

Oh wait no, we all never existed as the human race died out days into their existence...

Would you really want to live to 1000? Even FM may start to get a little boring by then.