FM-Base New Design: Feedback

Do you like the new design?

• Yes

Votes: 74 27.1%
  • No

Votes: 199 72.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like it, the colours are good, more a case of getting used to it TBH.

Don't like that you can't see sigs and the avatars need to be made bigger also would like recent posts back whilst you are looking at a thread

I do like the colour though and if those 3 changes can be made then it will be better than the old skin

will supports: come back?

I don't think many people are going to be wondering who you support, Calum..

Agree w Stu - Certainly a case of getting used to it, especially if it's still a WIP.

Like the bit where it shows you how many people are online and who is online :)

Liking the blog system - are you only allowed (to start) one? And also is the Stories section going to be removed?

Liking the blog system - are you only allowed (to start) one? And also is the Stories section going to be removed?

You have one blog, but you can make your own 'local' categories within it. So, for example, I've made a stories category and another sub-category for my FMBE story.

You have one blog, but you can make your own 'local' categories within it. So, for example, I've made a stories category and another sub-category for my FMBE story.

Ah, cheers. :)

Well, there is one problem. On the top where it says players, and when it shows:
Player Discussion and
Download Player Shortlist
The description of Player Discussion is: We have a huge range of incredible tactics that can help any team reach the top., which is for tactics session.

Thanks for pointing that out, i'll get it changed later today.

Don't like the new layout, everything is harder to read and just frustrating.

Everything is harder to read? Are you sure? If not, please let me know specifically what is harder to read and I'll look into it.

Frankly it is terrible. Whoever made it needs a couple of lessons in use of colour and web design. And yes, before you ask, I am experienced in web design (4th year IT student).

Different colour schemes/designs aren't always to everybody's taste, do you have any examples of your work or maybe some ideas on what you think the colour/design should be?

Hmm.. I'm still unconvinced, personally. The other one was simpler, and perhaps not as nice looking as some of the other, smaller sites but it didn't really need to be what with the massive member-base and not being in dire need to attract new members..

Look forward to starting a story blog, though & I'm sure I can get used to it.. hopefully ;)

To offer some feedback rather than just slating it:

- I don't like the avatars being that small.. Get rid of them entirely on regular posts or make them normal size for me.
- I agree with some of the more constructive points made by Conor (Looks a little LQ/like a Free Forum)
- I can't see anything on my wall!!
- A little too thin for me..

I do appreciate the effort that has gone into this, though, Sean (& the mod team) and obviously I'm not going to ****** off because of a skin that, on first impressions, I'm not hugely fond of!

Thanks for the feeback Joss. Hopefully over the coming weeks/months I can iron out some of the things people don't like and make a finished design.

I think I may remove the little avatar icons from posts and see what people think.

The user profiles are a mess at the moment, they need a lot of work doing to them.

I respect that he made it from scratch and its a good effort that way. But it would be a whole lot better if it stretched the width of the browser instead of being as thin as it is.

In the past the site has always stretched. But I have had enough, it makes things much easier when it is set to a fixed width as elements can be placed somewhere..and not have them look ridiculous if the user maximizes their window.

It's got potential, but the colours aren't great at the moment. Not enough distinction between the background, and the headers for the names. Looks quite boxy at the moment, needs to be sleeker.

I'll think about making the headers a different colour so that they stand out from the background more. It will be staying boxy though as that's the style I have went for. I'm not really a fan of loads of rounded edges etc..

Instead of the recent posts on the right hand side, how about brining back recent threads like in the old one?

The recent threads/post/blogs blocks will all be played with and hopefully have something for everyone.

Will the advertisement always be there, even for premium's?

On Topic:

I like it, mainly because of the noticeable loading time betterment. I would prefer it to be a lighter grey but that doesn't mind, the avatar and sigs annoy me alot of the time anyway so not worried about having to click on someone's name to see them.

Not bad, just one thing more, at the bottom of the page where it is telling you who is on the thread the stars were before their name's before, rather than infront of the whole line, right?

The advertisement will be gone soon for premium members. With the new software it has messed up all the conditional statements which hid them from Premium Members so they all need to be rewritten.

Thanks for pointing out the problem with the stars, i'll get that fixed soon too.

Don't really like it to be honest and it quite hard for me to see the text i just liked the old feel of the site

See what text?

I think the background is too dark and i miss the quick search tool that used to be in the top left corner

The quick search won't be coming back I'm afraid. It's a great feature and very useful but it is just very intensive and causes the whole forums to slow down when a few people use it.

Things I'm missing at the moment is - 'Your Posts', which is how I used to catch up with threads I'd posted on (beats getting emails) and as Shay Given said the small avatars aren't really working. Most things SG said actually, but the aforementioned two are the main ones, the rest I'm meh about

that guy said:
And yes, before you ask, I am experienced in web design (4th year IT student).

OMGZ SCHOOL TAUGHT YOU TO WEB DESIGNZ?

You can learn more off the internet, practice, and ******** around with code/ software than doing it as school/uni/college subject - its still too new. IT at school (when its not Excel spreadsheets...) doesn't impress me tbh, might just be me, but I know people can create magic with all sorts of languages - not one of them studied it at an educational institute because you simply don't need to.

Last edited:
Can't take it that the skin is terrible?

Look what the poll says, the majority don't like it.

Most people didn't like the previous FMBase skin when we changed to that.

Like a lot of people have said already, looks a bit lower in quality than the previous design and everything is much harder to read now. I liked the older version better personally, although I'm sure a lot of modifications will be made so I may change my mind

I'd got really used to the old skin so it will take a bit of time getting used to but I'm sure I will.

However one thing I don't like about the new system is that there is no recent posts or threads box on the right if your viewing a topic or a forum that's not the homepage. That is how I found most of the useful threads and it was really useful.

Any chance it could come back?

Other than that good job, like I said will take getting used to but I'm sure I will.

Hmm, did you make it so that YouTube videos can't be watched directly from Base when posted or is that just a side-effect from the change that you still have to tweak? Not a big deal, but it's always nice when I don't have to open another window to check out a video that somebody has linked.

Personally I really prefer the old one. Don't like this one at all.

Im liking the green squares that say if you have posted on that thread before.

Btw, only a minor thing, but the favicon is still green.

On User Profile page in 'About me'.

Would look neater if it was just:

Downloads 58
Uploads 2

instead of:

Downloads
Downloads 58
Uploads 2