FM14 (14.2.0) - The Triad (4-2-3-1) - Promoted first season with Doncaster - Great GD

original. i changed the pass it shorter team instruction to retain possesion. i have isco and alonso in midfield and i dont think i should be telling them how to pass, they probably know better than me lol so i just tell them to retain possesion. then i give my two central defenders and anchor man individual instruction to pass it shorter. i changed from rigid to fluid and standard to control mentality. i removed the mark tighter instruction cos i noticed when playing good teams with good players, they go past my defenders easily. other changes are my CM TO DEEP LYING PLAYMAKER, AMC TO ADVANCED PLAYMAKER ON ATTACK DUTY AND MY INSIDE FORWARDS ARE ALSO ATTACK. ALSO TOLD MY INSIDE FORWARDS AND STRIKER TO SHOOT LESS OFTEN,​

hope u dont mind but im going to try your tweaks just got QPR in prem with W4anker tweak but im not sure just that will help me stay up so might flick between both in pre season. What training did u use please subwoof ?

Will give this a go on my Saint-Etienne save, won league and coupa in 1st season and about to hit my 1st season in CL. Will post updates as i go along.

Will give this a go on my Saint-Etienne save, won league and coupa in 1st season and about to hit my 1st season in CL. Will post updates as i go along.

Could you please upload the tactic? what is the tweaks?

hope u dont mind but im going to try your tweaks just got QPR in prem with W4anker tweak but im not sure just that will help me stay up so might flick between both in pre season. What training did u use please subwoof ?
for pre-season i usually use team cohesion for general training and tactics for match training then slide the scheduling bar all the way to the left until the tactics is fluid. for regular season i use attacking movement often and def positioning when playing away to tough opponents. IMPORTANT: always look at your scout opposition report and check where they concede assists the most and what type(either pass,cross or long balls) then during the game if you are not able to get good attacks, change to more direct for long balls/pass and cross more often for cross. depending on the opposition weakness. helps a lot!

Could you please upload the tactic? what is the tweaks?

If your referring to the success i had in my previous season, its nothing to do with the tactic in the OP of this thread.

Last edited:
This tactic has worked wonders for me. I'm playing with Arsenal and signed Costa, Vela, Javi Garcia (loan), Boumsong (free) and Pugliese in the summer. In January I signed Bradley on the cheap. Its March now in my first season and I'm top by 3 points and still in the CL. Went out of the FA cup in the 3rd because of a tough draw and a thin squad and lost in the semis in the CC due to arrogance. Diego Costa has scored 18 goals in 23 league games for me.

The one problem I'm having with the tactic and my squad is the AM position. I just can't get good performances from my AMs regularly. Started the season with Ozil there as he seemed the obvious choice but he was average so I moved him to the left wing where he started tearing it up. I've tried moving him back a few times but with no success. No joy with Cazorla or Wilshere there either. I'm thinking of upgrading there in the summer so I was wondering if there are certain traits I should be looking for?

The one problem I'm having with the tactic and my squad is the AM position. I just can't get good performances from my AMs regularly. Started the season with Ozil there as he seemed the obvious choice but he was average so I moved him to the left wing where he started tearing it up. I've tried moving him back a few times but with no success. No joy with Cazorla or Wilshere there either. I'm thinking of upgrading there in the summer so I was wondering if there are certain traits I should be looking for?

Ive been swapping between people around a little and ive gone for versatile players or just retrained them to be good in other positions. I generally put Gaston Gil Romero in the attacking CM position or swap him with Moi Gomez, who i also tend to put in the AMC position along with De Bruyne or Angel Correa

GK Ruffier
LB Jonathan Silva or Sebastien Corchia
RB Sebastien Corchia or Riccardo Fiamozzi
CB Kurt Zouma or Oriel Romeu
CB Loic Perrin or Daniele Rugani
Anc Josuha Guilavogui or Oriel Romeu or Sergi Darder or Franco Zuculini
CM Gaston Gil Romero or Moi Gomez or Segi Darder
AMC Kevin De Bruyne or Moi Gomez or Angel Correa
IFL Fabbio Borini or Franck Tabanou or Kevin De Bruyne or Yohan Moloo
IFR Yohan Mollo or Angel Correa or Kevin De Bruyne
AF Mattia Destro or Corentin Jean (Got Richario Zivkovic and Gabriel Barbosa both out on loan atm)

I tend to value versatility quite highly as my club arent the richest around so you could easily find a creative striker or maybe a winger who you could retrain. I got Fabio Borinni as a winger even tho his best position is meant to be striker but hes done great as IF for me. As youve got tons of cash you could probably just buy someone but personally ive retrained so i dont have to.

Look for someone with high passing, creativity and flair. De Bruyne has been great for me so far, good with both feet and creates/scores a few goals 2.

Ive been swapping between people around a little and ive gone for versatile players or just retrained them to be good in other positions. I generally put Gaston Gil Romero in the attacking CM position or swap him with Moi Gomez, who i also tend to put in the AMC position along with De Bruyne or Angel Correa

GK Ruffier
LB Jonathan Silva or Sebastien Corchia
RB Sebastien Corchia or Riccardo Fiamozzi
CB Kurt Zouma or Oriel Romeu
CB Loic Perrin or Daniele Rugani
Anc Josuha Guilavogui or Oriel Romeu or Sergi Darder or Franco Zuculini
CM Gaston Gil Romero or Moi Gomez or Segi Darder
AMC Kevin De Bruyne or Moi Gomez or Angel Correa
IFL Fabbio Borini or Franck Tabanou or Kevin De Bruyne or Yohan Moloo
IFR Yohan Mollo or Angel Correa or Kevin De Bruyne
AF Mattia Destro or Corentin Jean (Got Richario Zivkovic and Gabriel Barbosa both out on loan atm)

I tend to value versatility quite highly as my club arent the richest around so you could easily find a creative striker or maybe a winger who you could retrain. I got Fabio Borinni as a winger even tho his best position is meant to be striker but hes done great as IF for me. As youve got tons of cash you could probably just buy someone but personally ive retrained so i dont have to.

Look for someone with high passing, creativity and flair. De Bruyne has been great for me so far, good with both feet and creates/scores a few goals 2.

Did you recognise any differences with tactic after new patch?
Please upload some pictures concerning your squad, league table and fixture list for your 1st season.

MANY THX!

This tactic has worked wonders for me. I'm playing with Arsenal and signed Costa, Vela, Javi Garcia (loan), Boumsong (free) and Pugliese in the summer. In January I signed Bradley on the cheap. Its March now in my first season and I'm top by 3 points and still in the CL. Went out of the FA cup in the 3rd because of a tough draw and a thin squad and lost in the semis in the CC due to arrogance. Diego Costa has scored 18 goals in 23 league games for me.

Hi Mate,

I have the same problem with Hamsik.

Solution is the following: check the post 46! change the appropriate role for the players in AMC position.

Performance is getting better and better!

Success! :)

View attachment 434259 View attachment 434258

View attachment 434254 View attachment 434253

View attachment 434257 View attachment 434256

Started the season with a different tactic but started using the "triad" after that Newcastle home defeat. It was pretty much fluid at the time. Made some tweaks in the player roles as succested earlier by W4NKER. Pretty happy about the performance of my team. The defence leaked from time to time but still pretty good overall. Board was happy about the attacking football.

EURO cup didnt go so well but who cares about the EURO cup! ;) Won the Capitol Cup against Sunderland. Lost the FA Cup because my defence and keeper f'd it up even though I had the game pretty much under control and should have won. All in all, Great results against the bigger teams but struggled a bit to get my guys to perform against some of the smaller teams, even at home. Some lowly 1-0 victories at the end of the season there.

Last edited:
Mid point in the season and not doing so badly. Still pretty broke tho as i spent my budget before the season started. Have been looking for a loan signing or a free transfer but only if they improve my squad. Bit thin in the defensive area atm but hopefully can change that in the current transfer window.

Last edited:
Did you recognise any differences with tactic after new patch?
Please upload some pictures concerning your squad, league table and fixture list for your 1st season.

MANY THX!

I wasn't using this tactic before the last patch :)

Dont you hate it when your dominating a game and cant seem to score and the AI seem to be superb at taking their chances?

Had a game vs Bordeaux, was 1-0 up, and not matter how much i hammered the shots in, their goalie was a god. Next thing i know, they have 2 shots and take a 2-1 lead. Thankfully i managed to scramble a goal in the 93rd minute.

My next game was against PSG and they were really playing me off the park. Trying pushing defensive line up. No joy. Tried playing Standard, Attacking AND even Overload. No joy. Tried a different tactic and they scored. Great. Then i did one key thing and all i can think of saying about it is this....

UP yours AI !!!

2 shots, 2 CCC's 2 goals. Dont you just hate it when that happens to you?? Revenge is bitter sweet

Final score ...

Changed it to control and they couldnt handle me

Last edited:
I've changed the mentality from normal to control at the beginning of my 18/19 season with Reims and then...

View attachment 433996

And we should have won the first game against Valencia at least 3-0 but hey, sometimes you just have to lose, right?

Thanks a lot mate !

Last edited:
I like to use control against CL teams at home. Seems to work well. I prefer to attack if I go a goal down too.

Hi Mate,

I have the same problem with Hamsik.

Solution is the following: check the post 46! change the appropriate role for the players in AMC position.

Performance is getting better and better!

I didn't even know you could do that. Nice one. Going to experiment with that now. Thanks.

Going to give this a bash with wolves and iv started it in classic mode so heer hopes i get on good will post ss when at january then end of season

Tbh it doesnt matter what you use because if its effective, it would just end with you attacking anyway. I've scored in games where i have played contain. Its what ever works imo, just got to experiment sometimes

Seems game tempo change can sometimes make a difference. Had it on a couple of occasions where i've changed from "Higher Tempo" to "lower Tempo" and got goals/wins. That combined with pushing the defensive line further up seems to do the job sometimes when its tough to make a breakthrough.

Last edited: