In your OPINION who is the best player in the world?

• Thread starter Blynd1
  • Start date
  • Replies 236
  • Views 9K
Well, it is that way because it is easier to gauge by simply using goals/assists which is much easier to quantify than defensive capability IMO.

Tackles Percentage/ headers won/ Interceptions made/ Even goals scored for defenders....

Defenders don't get mentioned because defending is much more about the team than an individual. Vidic can be the beast that he is, but if Evans is slow to force the onside trap or gets turned inside out than there's nothing he can do about it. In attacking you can have one player who singlehandedly creates a goal. It's not like that in defending.

So players like Messi/ Ronaldo make goals on there own, they dont need players passing the ball to them, midfielders winning it back..... Players crossing to them. Football is a team game, No player single handily wins games or loses them, Both attackers and Defenders need each other....

ronaldo without a doubt look at his real madrid and man utd record unbelievble
messi gerrard and xavi not far behind.

but the most classy player is berbatov easilyyy nutterrr!!!!!

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Lionel Messi
3) Julio Cesar
4) Andres Iniesta
5) Xavi
6) Patrice Evra
7) Rio Ferdinand
8) Lucio
9) Didier Drogba
10) Maicon
11) Fernando Torres

and Fabregas/Gerrard/Lampard

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Lionel Messi
3) Julio Cesar
4) Andres Iniesta
5) Xavi
6) Patrice Evra
7) Rio Ferdinand
8) Lucio
9) Didier Drogba
10) Maicon
11) Fernando Torres

and Fabregas/Gerrard/Lampard

Rio above Vidic, i though i knew you..... :O

I think the problem with calling players best players in the world before technology was really introduced to football is a big problem. Since TV has come into the equation, the game has become a lot more tactical because managers have been able to watch how other teams play and how to stop them. Previously teams only faced each other 2 times a season, maybe 3 or 4 depending on how cup runs went so they didn't know what they were going to face and that was that. This is why the game was less tactical. It was also harder to scout opposition teams due to transportation not being as good. This is why younger players are so effective sometimes because the opposition usually don't know of what there capabilities are. Personally, I think it is a lot harder to be the greatest player in the modern day football. Every manager knows the ability of Messi and Ronaldo yet they continue to score goals and assist on a consistent basis. This is why I rate them as the best players in the world. However, Messi is my preference.

I think the problem with calling players best players in the world before technology was really introduced to football is a big problem. Since TV has come into the equation, the game has become a lot more tactical because managers have been able to watch how other teams play and how to stop them. Previously teams only faced each other 2 times a season, maybe 3 or 4 depending on how cup runs went so they didn't know what they were going to face and that was that. This is why the game was less tactical. It was also harder to scout opposition teams due to transportation not being as good. This is why younger players are so effective sometimes because the opposition usually don't know of what there capabilities are. Personally, I think it is a lot harder to be the greatest player in the modern day football. Every manager knows the ability of Messi and Ronaldo yet they continue to score goals and assist on a consistent basis. This is why I rate them as the best players in the world. However, Messi is my preference.

Can't argue with that. Excellent points in there

Rio above Vidic, i though i knew you..... :O
I did not want to put Vidic instead of Lucio as I may have been called Bias, however, Ferdinand is playing some of the best football of his career at the moment! ;)

But Surely also managers know Defenders weakness as well, Yet teams still keep clean sheets and defenders still get MOM? surely it works in roundabouts, all types of players are exposed to the same coverage and analysis.

Tackles Percentage/ headers won/ Interceptions made/ Even goals scored for defenders....

So players like Messi/ Ronaldo make goals on there own, they dont need players passing the ball to them, midfielders winning it back..... Players crossing to them. Football is a team game, No player single handily wins games or loses them, Both attackers and Defenders need each other....

Those stats aren't really that great for measuring the performance of a defender, there's a lot more to it than that. I'm sure some of the world's best defenders don't have eye-popping stats.

Obviously attacking is a team game too but not as much as defending. Someone like Messi can win the ball at the halfway mark and dribble 60 yards and score. Defending has to do with 4 players acting as a cohesive unit.