In your OPINION who is the best player in the world?

• Thread starter Blynd1
  • Start date
  • Replies 236
  • Views 9K
But Surely also managers know Defenders weakness as well, Yet teams still keep clean sheets and defenders still get MOM? surely it works in roundabouts, all types of players are exposed to the same coverage and analysis.

Yes, but personally I think it's a lot harder to expose a weakness in a defender than it is in a attacker I think. Although, Germany certainly did it to John Terry.

1) Cristiano Ronaldo
2) Lionel Messi
3) Julio Cesar
4) Andres Iniesta
5) Xavi
6) Patrice Evra
7) Rio Ferdinand
8) Lucio
9) Didier Drogba
10) Maicon
11) Fernando Torres

and Fabregas/Gerrard/Lampard

Evra above Ashley Cole oO)oO)oO)

Those stats aren't really that great for measuring the performance of a defender, there's a lot more to it than that. I'm sure some of the world's best defenders don't have eye-popping stats.

Obviously attacking is a team game too but not as much as defending. Someone like Messi can win the ball at the halfway mark and dribble 60 yards and score. Defending has to do with 4 players acting as a cohesive unit.

Someone like Messi cant keep the ball for 10 minutes on his own, A lot of the time, he reallys on one-twos. Balls from other players to get him in the position to score goals, skin players and look good, to say he single handly wins games or scores goals with out another players is silly and comical.

A defender can make 4 goal line clearance, 5 last gap tackles and 3 clearance in one play,

see what i did there?

Yes, but personally I think it's a lot harder to expose a weakness in a defender than it is in a attacker I think. Although, Germany certainly did it to John Terry.

Fair shout, but Liverpool Exposed Vidic i few years back, with his lack of Mobility and agility when torres played on his shoulder, hence he then improved his game. Defenders have many weakness, whether it be pace/ power or response time

My top 10 at the moment!

1-Steven Gerrard
2-Cristiano Ronaldo
3-Sneijder
4-Iniesta
5-Xavi
6-Messi
7-Nani
8-Vidic
9-Casilhas
10-Hulk

My top 10 at the moment!

1-Steven Gerrard
2-Cristiano Ronaldo
3-Sneijder
4-Iniesta
5-Xavi
6-Messi
7-Nani
8-Vidic
9-Casilhas
10-Hulk

That's got to be a joke....

My top 10 at the moment;

1. Cristiano Ronaldo
  2. Lionel Messi
  3. Wesley Sneijder
  4. Xavi
  5. Andres Iniesta
  6. Nemanja Vidic
  7. Pepe Reina
  8. Mesut Ozil
  9. Xabi Alonso
  10. Ashley Cole

Ok heres my list:
1 Messi,untouchable at the minute,hes a once in a generation player such as Pele, Maradonna and Best.
2 C. Ronaldo. has been a solid goalscorer and creator for the past couple of years.
3 Pepe Reina, maybe biased but he stands out among goalies when you look at his backline
4 Xavi, has been in superb form for about the last 4 years
5 Vidic, stands out among the best defenders in the world right now.
6 Gerrard,club legend and can change the course of a game with his influence.A perfect Captain.

No Torres in the list due to his slump in form over the past year or so and dont really rate anybody else high enough.

The best of all time and my favorite is Johan Cruyff...
And in recent years Thierry Henry, most complete forward in my opinion...
Pace, strength, finishing, dribbling, free kicks, he has it all, and above all that he is a great captain and has a great personality...

After reading the whole thread, i saw a number of people with his avatar but can only see his name mentioned once. It's Samir Nasri.

I also think he has been a different class as mentioned earlier, however Messi is just unbelievable.

cannot agree more althoguh this season not so good by his standard.

Olympiakos 2004,Istanbul 2005,Cardiff 2006, and that unforgettable camera-kissing at Old Trafford in 2009.

No doubt this season Lionel Messi deserves it but i'm dissapointed that this award was combined.
if not ,then European goes to Messi and World goes to Xavi.

"the Gerrard generation keep the traditon alive"

cannot agree more althoguh this season not so good by his standard.

Olympiakos 2004,Istanbul 2005,Cardiff 2006, and that unforgettable camera-kissing at Old Trafford in 2009.

No doubt this season Lionel Messi deserves it but i'm dissapointed that this award was combined.
if not ,then European goes to Messi and World goes to Xavi.

"the Gerrard generation keep the traditon alive"
he kisses the camera,giggs kisses the trophy

Last edited:
cristiano ronaldo for me, atleast until messi comes and proves himself in the prem.

For me top 10
1.Cristiano Ronaldo
2.Lionel Messi
3.Xavi
4.Iniesta
5.Vidic
6.Ferdinand
7.Evra
8.Sneijder
9.Rooney
10.Bale/Nani
11.John O'Shea XD

For me top 10
1.Cristiano Ronaldo
2.Lionel Messi
3.Xavi
4.Iniesta
5.Vidic
6.Ferdinand
7.Evra
8.Sneijder
9.Rooney
10.Bale/Nani
11.John O'Shea XD

The fact you have put 4/5 United players in the top 10 means I cannot take that list seriously.

The fact you have put 4/5 United players in the top 10 means I cannot take that list seriously.

Wish i could like that comment about 40 times haha. I read it and thought excatly the same.

Although I don't like Barcelona, I must say that I think Xavi is the best player in the world

In terms of attacking flair, creativity & technique? Messi. Complete footballer? Gerrard soon to be replaced by Fabregas...

However I don't really watch other leagues.