Is Messi Over-rated?

Um...really? ARSENAL with the EPL's best defense?
ARSENAL. BEST DEFENSE.
I'm going to be rolling this one in my head for a while, sorry.

Arsenal defense is solid if Arsenal have a better goalkeeper... Sure it looks shaky at times... But I don't think any defense can be super solid at all times... You could have just said they do not have the best defense but you just gotta laugh and mock...

Especially after watching how he smashed Premier league's one of the best defense (ManUtd and Arsenal) it's absolutely retarded to think Messi won't score as many goals in PL. If anything PL defense are not tactical, he will have field day exploiting the gaps between the lines.

Field day? What couldn't he score against Chelsea in the UCL when it mattered then?

He's a good player, but not unplayable. Thiago Silva had him in the PSG v Barca games.

The whole "lets see how he would do in the premiership" argument is quite simply ******* ridiculous, or at best ignorant. The premiership is miles behind la liga and the bundesliga in technical ability and quality. He would rip any league apart. Are people actually stupid enough to think that the premiership is the best league in the world? Just because its on YOUR television every wrek does not make it the best. Watch foreign football and you will see how our national team struggles so much, because there is no level of quality in the premiership. Its exciting because the lack of ability makes it end to end. Messi would tear the premiership to pieces, to suggest otherwise is quite simply ******* stupid.

Yes Pelé may have scored 1282 goals in 1366 matches BUT 522 of those goals were scored in FRIENDLIES in 562 matches. But 1282-522=760 goals in 804 matches is no small feat but he played his whole career in Brasil which is very easy to score in.

Messi is the best!
ZoomButt.gif

You do realize every brazilian player that was part of his world cup winning teams practically played over there? And his team tore up europe every time they went over there, back then Brazil was the best league in the world.

The whole "lets see how he would do in the premiership" argument is quite simply ******* ridiculous, or at best ignorant. The premiership is miles behind la liga and the bundesliga in technical ability and quality. He would rip any league apart. Are people actually stupid enough to think that the premiership is the best league in the world? Just because its on YOUR television every wrek does not make it the best. Watch foreign football and you will see how our national team struggles so much, because there is no level of quality in the premiership. Its exciting because the lack of ability makes it end to end. Messi would tear the premiership to pieces, to suggest otherwise is quite simply ******* stupid.

Micky Mouse cup needs to go away, I know its tradition, but nobody takes the trophy seriously anyway, while its obvious top teams cant sustain that amount of games and it starts showing in Europe.

Germany had 3 teams in CL knockout stage, two went onto the final. Spain had 2 teams in the semis, 3 teams in 1/4, 4 teams in 1/8.

Prem had...2 teams in 1/8.

Wasn't that much different last year, either. Need to start playing catchup, and fast. If it wasn't for Chelsea-bus last year and very lucky draws they had in Europe League this year, you'd propably be looking at losing those precious CL spots.

Call 1-800-Tyton for more irrelevant offtopic rants.

Miles behind? I would disagree. BBVA is better league now, but not by much. We'll after 5-10 years when all clubs, bar Barcelona and Real, get into debts they cannot repay. It's already started 10 years ago. Bundesliga has potential to be better then BPL and BBVA for sure, and in my opinion, they will be because of their rules.
Anyway, Messi isn't overrated. He's the best player right now. Is he better then Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Zizu, I really don't know. They are all great players, why there must be only one best?

Micky Mouse cup needs to go away, I know its tradition, but nobody takes the trophy seriously anyway, while its obvious top teams cant sustain that amount of games and it starts showing in Europe.

Germany had 3 teams in CL knockout stage, two went onto the final. Spain had 2 teams in the semis, 3 teams in 1/4, 4 teams in 1/8.

Prem had...2 teams in 1/8.

Wasn't that much different last year, either. Need to start playing catchup, and fast. If it wasn't for Chelsea-bus last year and very lucky draws they had in Europe League this year, you'd propably be looking at losing those precious CL spots.

Call 1-800-Tyton for more irrelevant offtopic rants.
Actually, they wouldn't. Why? Because Italy and Portugal are doing as same/worse then English clubs in Europa competitions. Yea, BPL could lose 3rd place automatic CL spot, but still, they could have 4 clubs in group stage.

I'd say Englands lower 10 rip apart the bottom ten of spain

5-10th though is in Spain favour, 1-4th though is split though

Barcelona, Madrid, Manchester, Atletico, would be the way it goes in my opinion.

Lets not get all hyperbolic in the opposite direction either, because the above isnt true either. It's not miles behind, and I say this as an avid watcher of 3 leagues ( and not just the big games, but the midtable and relegation scrappers too.)

People mistake the top end of the leagues as the better trend of bottom. Watch Zaragoza vs Mallorca. then watch Villa vs Reading. you will be suprised at how similar the (relative lack of) quality is.

Last edited:
I don't know, as I watch little football; but my intuition says he is. Now, it says it's overrated not in the sense he's considered as a supermegagreat player when he's rubbish, but that he's considered supermegagreat when he's just very good.

The base for that affirmation is the commentarists, if they said that and praised his plays when he does something supermegagreat, then I would be willing to believe he is. The problem is that for many times I've seen them start Oooooh aaaaahh oooooooh aaaaaaah for things that have no merit at all. Some past match he was alone, by a lapse in concentration of his marker, there was no clever maneovuer of him in that instance, the ball was passed to him and he kicked the ball and missed the target, nothing a Burgos FC player couldn't do. The commentarist then went all "OOOOOOHHH!!! What a play, OOOOH!! AAAAAAH, this is sublime! OOOOOOH YEEES GIVE ME MOOOOORE". If for a play as simple and lacklustre like that they shower him with such comments, then I begin to feel inclined to think they praise his plays just for being his, or being a Barça's player, rather than for his plays actually deserving it. It is that I've seen some good plays by him that I know he indeed has some good quality for real, just possibly not so much as he's said to. Let's say if he's rated as 9.8 I'd rate him as 8.5.

I think Messi is such a divisive and controversial figure, because he propably isn't the most talented player of last few decades.

Everyone remembers Ronaldinho or Zidane , who would sometimes dominate the game so completely, they were just untouchable, 10/10. They only really did it every once in a while, but everyone remembers only those games. Alas, Zidane was often rather **** in less important games, and Ronaldinho always prefered a good party over football game.

Messi may indeed be 9.5 , but he's 9.5 all the time. 50 games a year, every year since, what, 2008, almost every single game, he comes out on the pitch and he delivers. And its this consistency that makes him truly special.

Last edited:
Field day? What couldn't he score against Chelsea in the UCL when it mattered then?

He's a good player, but not unplayable. Thiago Silva had him in the PSG v Barca games.

Scored against PSG and then was injured. Came on as a second half sub and half fit Messi turned the game on its head.

He didn't score against Chelsea? Lawl. Must he **** player then.

Um...really? ARSENAL with the EPL's best defense?
ARSENAL. BEST DEFENSE.
I'm going to be rolling this one in my head for a while, sorry.

Can't you read or don't know the difference between the "the best defense" and One of the best defense?

Arsenal have one of the best defense in the league and you can check goals conceded to confirm it.

The media make out the EPL as the best in the world... It's not, I'd say it's even with Spain followed by Germany.

For example... A player like Raheem Sterling comes along and he's made out to be the greatest young prospect in the history of world football ever!!! - Because he's English. There's 100 Sterling's in Spain made no big deal of until they DO something, If Thiago or Callejon were English they would have statues made for them by now over here.

As for over-rated Messi..............

FIFA Ballon d'Or (3): 2010, 2011, 2012. Created in 2010.
Ballon d'Or (1): 2009. Ceased to exist in 2009.
FIFA World Player of the Year (1): 2009. Ceased to exist in 2009.
World Soccer Young Player of the Year (3): 2006, 2007, 2008.
World Soccer Player of the Year (3): 2009, 2011, 2012.
Onze d'Or (3): 2009, 2011, 2012. No winner in 2010.
IFFHS World's Top Goal Scorer (2): 2011, 2012.[298]
IFFHS World's best Top Division Goal Scorer (1): 2012.[299]
Goal.com Player of the Year (2): 2009, 2011.
El País King of European Soccer (4): 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.[300]
ESPY Best International Athlete (1): 2012.
European Golden Shoe (2): 2010, 2012.
UEFA Best Player in Europe Award (1): 2011. Created in 2011.
UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 2009. Ceased to exist in 2010.
UEFA Team of the Year (5): 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
UEFA Champions League Top Goalscorer (4): 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
UEFA Champions League Forward of the Year (1): 2009. Ceased to exist in 2010.
UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match (1): 2011.
FIFA U-20 World Cup Player of the Tournament (1): 2005.
FIFA U-20 World Cup Top Goalscorer (1): 2005.
FIFA Club World Cup Golden Ball (2): 2009, 2011.
FIFA FIFPro World XI : 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
FIFPro World Young Player of the Year (3): 2006, 2007, 2008.
ESM Team of the Year : 2005–06, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2010–11, 2011–12.
Pichichi Trophy (2): 2010, 2012.
Copa del Rey Top Goalscorer (1): 2010–2011.
La Liga Player of the Year (3): 2009, 2010, 2011.
La Liga Foreign Player of the Year (3): 2007, 2009, 2010. Ceased to exist in 2010.
La Liga Ibero-American Player of the Year (5): 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.
LFP Best Player (3): 2009, 2011, 2012. No winner in 2010.
LFP Best Forward (3): 2009, 2011, 2012. No winner in 2010.
Marca Leyenda (1): 2009.
Bravo Award (1): 2007.
Copa América Young Player of the Tournament (1): 2007.
European Golden Boy (1): 2005.
Olimpia de Oro (1): 2011.
Olimpia de Plata (7): 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

Yeah, there's no way he would score past Wigan.

Arsenal defense is solid if Arsenal have a better goalkeeper... Sure it looks shaky at times... But I don't think any defense can be super solid at all times... You could have just said they do not have the best defense but you just gotta laugh and mock...

Um, as an Arsenal fan, I've seen the defenses Wenger has tried to build over the years. Believe me, "solid" is never what comes to mind when you've seen Silvestre and Squillaci play at the back.

The media make out the EPL as the best in the world... It's not, I'd say it's even with Spain followed by Germany.

For example... A player like Raheem Sterling comes along and he's made out to be the greatest young prospect in the history of world football ever!!! - Because he's English. There's 100 Sterling's in Spain made no big deal of until they DO something, If Thiago or Callejon were English they would have statues made for them by now over here.

What does that have to do with anything? Sterling was awesome when he burst on to the scene. Not to mention that he's a much better player than Thiago or Callejon were at 18.. But I suppose that's because players develop later in the continent. Oh and a good English player is a lot less common than a good Spanish player!

Anyway, at the end of the day which ever league you think is "the best" is completely down to each individuals opinion. Although, people who say "Would love to see Messi play against Stoke!" are retarded, he'd probably score 6.

"Is Messi overrated?"

377 games, 311 goals (for Barcelona)
79 games, 32 goals (for Argentina)

5 La Liga titles, 2 Copa Del Rey's, 5 Supercopa de Espana, 3 Champions Leagues, 2 Super Cups, 2 FIFA World Cup's.

Olympic Gold Medal, FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Plus all these individual awards: http://gyazo.com/dd781fae352c331d4516cb6be29ea83c.png

Overrated? No.

if anyone was overated, its that fool pele... please, brasil was not the best league back then. i guarentee you pele would not have been able to hack it in todays time when players are fitter stronger etc.. for me he is the greatest. closely followed by titus bramble

Messi did and can change the course of the game in an instant, alone! you cannot judge him on this season alone, especially not in the ECL! Barca are still winning the BBVA and he has been instrumental in that!

Does he perform for Argentina? He did near the end of last year if I remember correctly, other than that, no he has not done as well as he has with Barca! I still feel as though you take Xavi/Iniesta out the team, he would only score half the goals he does!

If you take Messi out the team, well you saw what happened!

You cannot call someone who has won the top prize in his/her profession as much as he has and as many times in a row as he has "over rated"

So no, he is not overrated in the slightest!

i agree with you messi overated not a chance how many ballons d'or has he won in a row i believe its four in a row i believe messi is the best player in the world but its like you said shut down any system the striker who ever he is or how great he is will not score that much

I think Ronaldo is the best in the world if you take away xavi and iniesta Messi does struggle abit Ronaldo defo should of won the ballon'dor he won trophies messi's 90goals won nothing....i loved what Bayern did to Barca tho :) Messi is over rated it annoys me wen people say hes the greatest ever NO! just NO! Zidane and Best was better players tbh i think Ronaldinho was probs better! people say can what they want he wouldnt score 90 goals in prem Spain have Madrid and Barca 2team League...Premier league Man utd,Arsenal chelsea spurs man city can win the league then teams like everton lpool newcastle ( not this season) can compete for europe its a harder league

Last edited: