Live - Saturday football

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 196
  • Views Views 8K
1516: Mario Balotelli goes down after a stray arm from Robert Huth, the German defender running across the Italian. Balotelli makes a meal of it, sure, but Huth should be more careful that to stick his elbow into someone's face, however harmless the contact.

Taken from the BBC live text.

Sorry, but I would love to see someone elbow Jonathan Stevenson in the wind pipe when he is running. *****.

Pretty uninteresting match tactically, this one.

City;s front-line interesting. Confusing the Stoke defence with their movement. Silva pushing up from the 'hole' to join Balotelli, Tevez starting on the left but drifting everywhere in a completely free role and Toure coming inside from the right.

Stoke city are not able to cope with Silva's brilliant defense splitting passes. Tevez Silva Balo working fine.

Come on Stoke, score 1 and park the plane..

City;s front-line interesting. Confusing the Stoke defence with their movement. Silva pushing up from the 'hole' to join Balotelli, Tevez starting on the left but drifting everywhere in a completely free role and Toure coming inside from the right.

Looks to me like Toure's starting in the centre, actually, but Silva's drifting makes it looks like he's in the hole rather than the right. But this is to be expected, and past the City players exploiting the hole there's nothing too interesting apart from individual excellent games, like De Jong for example.

Looks to me like Toure's starting in the centre, actually, but Silva's drifting makes it looks like he's in the hole rather than the right. But this is to be expected, and past the City players exploiting the hole there's nothing too interesting apart from individual excellent games, like De Jong for example.

Yeah. I'm sort of half paying attention to be fair.

I assumed they were playing 4-2-3-1 w Barry and De Jong deep lying CMs and Silva in the hole.

Actually thought having Toure behind Balotelli worked brilliant against Utd. Balotelli dropped deep quite a lot and Toure was able to drive through the centre. Would like to see him do more of that considering Stoke are just sitting back and packing the midfield.

Feels just like another Prem match tbh-probably because there's been 4 prem matches on the same day. Be even weirder next year as it's going to be a 5.15 kick off to keep tv rights holders happy. Have to say, bar a few bits of individual brilliance, and excellent saves from Sorensen.....it's ok.

Yeah. I'm sort of half paying attention to be fair.

I assumed they were playing 4-2-3-1 w Barry and De Jong deep lying CMs and Silva in the hole.

Actually thought having Toure behind Balotelli worked brilliant against Utd. Balotelli dropped deep quite a lot and Toure was able to drive through the centre. Would like to see him do more of that considering Stoke are just sitting back and packing the midfield.

From what I can see, it's their standard 4-2-3-1 with Toure behind Tevez and Silva on the right.

That was a selfish attempt-Balotelli was open. Pure selfishness

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Pennants had it. Recurrence of 1st half injury. Feel bad for the lad. Best to take him off.

Balo should have had a yellow card for christs sake. Some of Citys players are letting their tempremant to get the better of them, not just Stoke

Last edited:
thats a horrible challenge from yaya, and a ridiculous barge from mario

thats a horrible challenge from yaya, and a ridiculous barge from mario

I suspect theres going to be more revenge challenges, resulting in a nasty injury and a possibly a red. They've got to keep their heads on both sides. And Huth is looking pretty weary. Had a feeling he may not last the full match

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

Fanastic pass to Jones, and fantastic save by Hart.

Unlucky for Kenwyne, he just couldn't make clean contact with the ball. Great save from Hart nontheless.

Have to say, extremely impressed by the way Stoke have contained City thus far. Held firm all the way. And you can tell Tevez is starting to feel the effects of not being fully fit aswell. Starting to look leggy

Shawcross will equalize from a Delap throw in the 89th minute.

Back