My Huge Tactics Testing Project (FM 2012) !!!

• Thread starter Thread starter a_ilfandy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 576
  • Views Views 229K
Statistic Analysis

Although I dont have the answer to my question (at least, up to this precise moment :p), I am now able to post some interesting results.

As mentioned before, the groups were not balanced, Group A and B are harder, than Group C and D.

So, I decided to do the following, inserted all the data in an excel file, and made a few calculations. How can we measure the difficulty of each group? I had an idea! Calculated the average % of wins (%W) and average % of wins + draws (%W+D) for all the tactics used on each group, achieving the following results:
View attachment 210735

From the table above, its possible to see that the tested tactics only won 44% of the total matches played, while on Group B, the tactics won 63%, 62% on Group C and 71% on Group D. The same happened with Wins + Draws, being Group B harder than Group C, on this parameter.

From the data inserted, I could see that the tactics never repeated the same group on 2 different rounds! In order to be able to evaluate the performance of each tactic, I decided to do something like this: If Tactic Proxy, for example, only has 1 participation, and it was on Group D, it was expected to have won 71% of the matches played and won or draw 86% of the matches played. Summing all the games made by Proxy, we have a total of 20 matches (18 from the league + 2 from the cups), from which they have won or draw 85% and won 65%, which is -1% than the expected %W+D (86%), and -6% than the expected %W(71%). In average, it has a performance of -2,5% when compared to the average!

If a tactic had 2 participations, it will consider as expected performance the average of each Group, and make the same calculations.

I've also included a % of Cup Achievements, that takes into consideration the maximum number of cups (2, i.e. playoff + world league cup), and winning 1 cup will be valued as 100% of the goal, and being in a final will be considered 50%. Koflok's Tactic, for example, has 1 participation, which means that the maximum number of cups he could win is 2. It won 1 and didn't managed to reach the final on the other, so it has a 50% achievement (1 x 100% + 0) / 2 = 50%.

With all this, we are able to see the following:

View attachment 210738

Koflok's tactic (with only 1 participation) is the one who did better, due to the fact that it did the best result in the harder Group (A!). It has an average performance of +16% compared to the average.

Xenon, was one of the best defenses, therefore had the highest %W+D and one of the best %W, and managed to reach 4 Finals (although its also the team with the biggest number of participations: 4, 1 in each Group).

JPWoody2 did well but didnt excelled in anything in particular (except maybe the defense, with 1,0 Goals Against per match).

Brobs has the highest number of Goals Scored per Match (3,2) and one of the best %Won.

Vodu has very similar stats to Brobs, and has the best %Won, and one of the highest number of Goals Scored per Match (3,1). Both Brobs and Vodu had nice defenses, but still above 1 goal per match (1,1).

Regarding the remaining tactics, considering there are 8 teams being tested each time, I've placed a Yellow Line marking the 8 best tactics, and also, marking the tactics that managed to get a rounded % of 0 or Positive, while the tactics below the yellow line (Biggest Loser lol) had performed worse.

In my opinion, FOR THE FINAL TEST, there should be a single League, with the best 8 tactics, and the best 8 teams of the world. All vs All, home and away. BUT MEANWHILE, we could keep using the current model, so we get more tactics tested and maybe other tactics will get above the yellow line!

I also think that the tactics that only had 1 chance, that are above the yellow line, or close to it, should have a 2nd chance! (Koflok, Knap, Raikan, Matti, Satorox, Proxy, BetterHalf and ZeroSea, 8 in total!)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Although I dont have the answer to my question (at least, up to this precise moment :p), I am now able to post some interesting results.

As mentioned before, the groups were not balanced, Group A and B are harder, than Group C and D.

So, I decided to do the following, inserted all the data in an excel file, and made a few calculations. How can we measure the difficulty of each group? I had an idea! Calculated the average % of wins (%W) and average % of wins + draws (%W+D) for all the tactics used on each group, achieving the following results:
View attachment 210735

From the table above, its possible to see that the tested tactics only won 44% of the total matches played, while on Group B, the tactics won 63%, 62% on Group C and 71% on Group D. The same happened with Wins + Draws, being Group B harder than Group C, on this parameter.

From the data inserted, I could see that the tactics never repeated the same group on 2 different rounds! In order to be able to evaluate the performance of each tactic, I decided to do something like this: If Tactic Proxy, for example, only has 1 participation, and it was on Group D, it was expected to have won 71% of the matches played and won or draw 86% of the matches played. Summing all the games made by Proxy, we have a total of 20 matches (18 from the league + 2 from the cups), from which they have won or draw 85% and won 65%, which is -1% than the expected %W+D (86%), and -6% than the expected %W(71%). In average, it has a performance of -2,5% when compared to the average!

If a tactic had 2 participations, it will consider as expected performance the average of each Group, and make the same calculations.

I've also included a % of Cup Achievements, that takes into consideration the maximum number of cups (2, i.e. playoff + world league cup), and winning 1 cup will be valued as 100% of the goal, and being in a final will be considered 50%. Koflok's Tactic, for example, has 1 participation, which means that the maximum number of cups he could win is 2. It won 1 and didn't managed to reach the final on the other, so it has a 50% achievement (1 x 100% + 0) / 2 = 50%.

View attachment 210736

Koflok's tactic (with only 1 participation) is the one who did better, due to the fact that it did the best result in the harder Group (A!). It has an average performance of +16% compared to the average.

Xenon, was one of the best defenses, therefore had the highest %W+D and one of the best %W, and managed to reach 4 Finals (although its also the team with the biggest number of participations: 4, 1 in each Group).

JPWoody2 did well but didnt excelled in anything in particular (except maybe the defense, with 1,0 Goals Against per match).

Brobs has the highest number of Goals Scored per Match (3,2) and one of the best %Won.

Vodu has very similar stats to Brobs, and has the best %Won, and one of the highest number of Goals Scored per Match (3,1). Both Brobs and Vodu had nice defenses, but still above 1 goal per match (1,1).

Regarding the remaining tactics, considering there are 8 teams being tested each time, I've placed a Yellow Line marking the 8 best tactics, and also, marking the tactics that managed to get a rounded % of 0 or Positive, while the tactics below the yellow line (Biggest Loser lol) had performed worse.

In my opinion, FOR THE FINAL TEST, there should be a single League, with the best 8 tactics, and the best 8 teams of the world. All vs All, home and away. BUT MEANWHILE, we could keep using the current model, so we get more tactics tested and maybe other tactics will get above the yellow line!

I also think that the tactics that only had 1 chance, that are above the yellow line, or close to it, should have a 2nd chance! (Koflok, Knap, Raikan, Matti, Satorox, Proxy, BetterHalf and ZeroSea, 8 in total!)

Cheers,

Hi,

are you bored!

I agree, koflok's tactic is great.

as for deriving an expected win ratio for each league, this can only really be done if all teams compete in each league. as this didn't happen then it could be argued that all the tactics tested in league A were pants, with the exception of koflok, hence the koflok tactic achieving such a good league weighted score. for example ...

It might not be perfect, but it shows clearly that Group A is the hardest, and that Group B is harder than group C and D. And it removes PARTIALLY the Group effect. There will not be any perfect test, there is random, there is injuries, there is so much that changes, from match to match, even if everything is the same! But you can't hide the 3+ goals of Brobs and Vodu, the good defense of Xenon, etc...

Why don't you put them on the same league? this way is more fair, and you can add more tactics too

Well, there are others that feels that way, so it just motivates me to improve the tactic. And i think, i know what the biggest problem that cause the team conceded a lot. If i can make it in time, would you use the better version of my tactic?

Well, our national team is improved a lot tho, with a lot of good young talents. Guess people won't think that Indonesians got nothing to do better than playing FM. LOL

well, I'm currently running the round 5 with your old version..
anyway, your new version will always be welcomed here..
all second versions of the same tactician will be ran in near future, my waiting list is shortening..
lemme know when you are done with it..

@proxy : Woah pique hattrick? Gimme the corner setting!

________

Seems like Pique is a goal scoring machine as long as you got the right corner settings.

@ilfandy : So are you gonna do the same team format on next round or what?

other than aguero, pique and thiago silva are regular scorers in this testing..
most tactics got effective corners setting here..

kof, I'm changing the league composition.. just like what you proposed, but I add the points from the round 4..

WOW I can't believe how much ground my tactic gained to finish 2nd! I was like 10 points behind after 10 games right? And another cup final defeat haha. Stupid Aguero missing his stupid penalty in normal time :P I've reached every play off final haven't I? And won just 1 out of 4, gah!

yeaah, quite an achievement isnt? other than the english league, you won everything! enjoyed testing your tactic..
so, your 424 is next. dont disappoint me! ;)

zzzzz when are we going to get to the end result and find the best one? :D

wake up! here is the summary for round 1-4:

G9hNd.jpg

make your own conclusion ;)

Xenon did great again. After the bad start he managed to close the gap between Man U and him to just two points...

I think that SI must rework the EPL... we've seen what happened IRL. Ingame Man U, City, Tottenham are way too overpowered...

agree with that!
I'm not saying that they are not strong, but its way too easy to beat barca and madrid, now thats not making sense..

I am doing some maths about this tests and would like to have further information on the following:Is World League Cup played in 2 rounds (home and away), till the final ?Is the Playoff Cup played in 2 rounds (home and away), till the final ?Thx

the cup? yup! two-legged home and away, EXCEPT the final, one game..
the play off? no! all one game.. including the final..

Hi,

yes thats right, 8 human and 12 AI teams. shame it didn't work when you tried it.

as for kofloks suggestion, this sounds sensible, though 60 points in the EPL is not equivalent to 60 points in La Liga etc etc. one alternative might be to simply use the teams reputation (or similar) rating (i havent used the editor yet so am not sure of what ratings teams have now). if it is possible to export this as a .csv you could quickly set up a vlookup function in excel to assign the teams you use their correct reputation (??) reputation rating. these ratings would be directly comparable and as such could be used to filter teams through into each of your 4 leagues.

failing that you could retry the 20league format again, what with the new patch being released. i am happy to help if there is anything you would like me to look at.

cheers
adam

about koflok's suggestion, he actually seed the teams by points in the same league..
so its like, best performing and 4th best performing in the EPL will be in league A.. 2nd and 5th in league B.. etc etc..
so each league got 2 epl, 2 la liga, 2 serie A, 2 euro teams each..
its quite legit I think..

btw, wanna show this to you:
[FONT=&quot]
G9hNd.jpg
[/FONT]

View attachment 210735

View attachment 210738

Cheers,

wooow, thats lots of work you've done there! and thank you for that.. this might be a better reflection of the project..
I'm yet to look through your formulation, maybe later tonight..

about the final test, there's always be ROUND OF CHAMPIONS in my testing.. but later, after I test some others..
about 2nd chances, of course! cant let any of these famous guys (or girl) go without making impression in my project.. dont forget mr hough, he's yet to show his guns..:)

btw, here's what I got, of course its nothing compare to yours, but could be another reflection of the results..
[FONT=&quot]
G9hNd.jpg
[/FONT]

Why don't you put them on the same league? this way is more fair, and you can add more tactics too

due to some technical problems, this idea will be done in near future..
as for now, I will just go with re-shuffling the teams in each league..

Mr Hough tactic doesnt deserve the retest :p He was far behind in the tests, not even close!

so i see that xenon win 3/4 league because his defend was too strong ^^

you know what, I just realized that, the defense could be his strongest weapon..
some tactics struggle with it. and his offense is actually not bad too..

GUYS, STARTING FROM ROUND 5 THE LEAGUE COMPOSITION WILL BE RE-SHUFFLED..

BTW, HERE'S THE SUMMARY FOR ROUND 1-4:

[FONT=&quot]
G9hNd.jpg
[/FONT]

Back