Who is a good " False 9" and a good Poacher?
The tactics is awesome, but my finishing is horrible :/
I have a lot of chances but my current poacher ( Sturridge ) just doesn't score.
So i just want to know who would you recommend me to buy on this position?
Tnx.

Hey man, thought you may be interested to know that i've been using your tactic in League 1 and it's doing the trick! I'm in my 5th season with Altrincham, having got them promoted 3 times, then narrowly missing the playoffs last season. You can see how well it is going here:

View attachment 210113

As you can see I have only lost 3 games so far, the first 2 league games can be blamed on injuries/team not used to tactic, and losing 2-1 to villa is completely reasonable for a league 1 side. My main problem is that i'm conceding a lot of goals. I have tweaked the tactic to allow me to counter attack when under heavy pressure and i don't push the defensive line up so high. Another point I would make is that it is heavily reliant upon the poacher having fantastic composurel and because my poacher only has composure of 10, it can sometimes be a bit stressful missing all those chances.

Have to say, all in all I am very impressed with the results. I have tweaked it to fit my team and I would encourage others to do this if they encounter big problems in certain positions and with the opposition counter attacking.

i would say against barca: remove all "run with ball" and the most important " run from deep" from yr FB instructions than set them to play as much through ball as their abiliy allows.this way you really defend deeper and also make AI being more cautious because of the thread your wide players will carry.

IMHO, it still won't guarantee your team would win. When you're up against a team as good as barca, you cannot rely on tactic alone, you should make sure that your players can play like they used to play. I didn't tweak anything when i won against Barca, just make sure that my players didn't play with any pressure.

It would be a waste if you tweak the 'through ball' of your IFs to often yet they playing nervously or under a lot of pressure. It won't work, your IFs will only give the ball away too often.

Proxy ^^
I am using Montpellier and was having some nice results, but my strikers weren't being productive.
I changed the strikers to poacher and advanced forward and won 4-0 to Lyon away.
Might be a good option for people who, like me, do not have a good false 9.

Did you tweaked the player isntruction too?
It's a full tweaking tactic, so if you didn't tweaked it, the players will still play like what i was told them to play :D
But if you do tweaked it and found that the results are better, then i have nothing to say :D
If you don't wanna play with a false 9 tho, just change the mentality of the false 9 to attack :D

Thanks for trying my tactic anyway :D
Would love to hear more feedback tho, especially about how your team doing in defence, as there are people who are having trouble with the defence setting :D

dear sir in wich position do you think darwin qwintero should play ? DLF or poacher

for the defense i have some pprobleme against tems wich have a 10
like 4231 or 4 4 1 1 (like totenham )
i think IFR/L doesn t defend and that why big problem in miedfield

I think Darwin Quintero should play as a poacher :D
As for the IFs that doesn't defend, i think it's a matter of the match engine CMIIW, because there are people who struggles to set their IFs or Wingers to help the defense.

argh!!! leaking so many goals

Could you be more specific mate, i want to know about how did your team conceded a goal, by counter or else and how often they it happen? Need this information to make a better defence setting tho, thanks anyway :D

Who is a good " False 9" and a good Poacher?
The tactics is awesome, but my finishing is horrible :/
I have a lot of chances but my current poacher ( Sturridge ) just doesn't score.
So i just want to know who would you recommend me to buy on this position?
Tnx.

If you are using a mid table team, David Goodwillie would be a good false 9. IF you want to spend your money in young talent, Carlos Fierro should do the job, tho at first he won't score as much goals for you :D.
As for the poacher, someone with a good composure and finishing would be fine. Wilfried or Mushaga Bakenga will do the job for you if you are playing with a mid table team. Wilfried of course, will do the job on any team he play, i think.

Hey man, thought you may be interested to know that i've been using your tactic in League 1 and it's doing the trick! I'm in my 5th season with Altrincham, having got them promoted 3 times, then narrowly missing the playoffs last season. You can see how well it is going here:

View attachment 210113

As you can see I have only lost 3 games so far, the first 2 league games can be blamed on injuries/team not used to tactic, and losing 2-1 to villa is completely reasonable for a league 1 side. My main problem is that i'm conceding a lot of goals. I have tweaked the tactic to allow me to counter attack when under heavy pressure and i don't push the defensive line up so high. Another point I would make is that it is heavily reliant upon the poacher having fantastic composurel and because my poacher only has composure of 10, it can sometimes be a bit stressful missing all those chances.

Have to say, all in all I am very impressed with the results. I have tweaked it to fit my team and I would encourage others to do this if they encounter big problems in certain positions and with the opposition counter attacking.

Thanks for your feedback mate and congrats for doing well with your team :D
And yes, there are still problems at the back, most people said it was a nightmare when it comes to dealing with the counter attacks. LOL
And as for the poacher that couldn't convert CCCs to goal, i can't do anything about that...you should buy a player who has a good composure and finishing. And sometimes, it is can be a bit stressful, i've been there, it's pretty annoying when you have the edge yet have to lost the match. :p

For all,

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it. I will make the defence setting better tho, maybe i'll be working on this for the next couple of weeks, as i'm a bit busy with Christmas and New Year things right now. So for the moment, please enjoy this version and tweaked it if you want to to have a better results for your team :p

Cheers

Last edited:
what do you want to say when you say please explain But maybe, if you see that your team has the edge looking from the match stats, you could tick the counter attack and tell your pacey and skillful IF too run with ball often.

hey just wanted to say thanks...play a 4 1 2 1 2 small diamond at home but use ur tactic for away and bit CLgames and very impressed...althoguh i do agree when team start out playing i do drop the liine back and put counter on which really does help...the goals well yes tends to be leaky counter attcks mostly whihc i dont really think u can do much about expect putting in a anchor man (ps when im up againt a big team i take a stricker off and put in an anchor man and he does help finish off the game)
grt tactic..ps playing man utd and even hernandez missing so much, who do u think the best stricker is for ur tactic (hernandez is grt when balls crossed to him but when he runs on to it not as good) who do u think i sud get money not an object (but pl i can buy not roanldo or messi or agero)
thanks

what do you want to say when you say please explain But maybe, if you see that your team has the edge looking from the match stats, you could tick the counter attack and tell your pacey and skillful IF too run with ball often.

What i'm trying to say is, by letting your most pacey and skillful IF running with the ball often, hopefully, somehow, he manage to do the damage. In example: score goal, give assist, or just tear the opp back line apart to give your team more chances. It's not a guarantee that it could work on every occasion, because just like i said, different situation requires different approach.

hey just wanted to say thanks...play a 4 1 2 1 2 small diamond at home but use ur tactic for away and bit CLgames and very impressed...althoguh i do agree when team start out playing i do drop the liine back and put counter on which really does help...the goals well yes tends to be leaky counter attcks mostly whihc i dont really think u can do much about expect putting in a anchor man (ps when im up againt a big team i take a stricker off and put in an anchor man and he does help finish off the game)
grt tactic..ps playing man utd and even hernandez missing so much, who do u think the best stricker is for ur tactic (hernandez is grt when balls crossed to him but when he runs on to it not as good) who do u think i sud get money not an object (but pl i can buy not roanldo or messi or agero)
thanks

Thanks for your feedback. The reason i put the d-line press high up the pitch because i want my team to get the ball back as soon as they lost it and play the ball around in the opposition half. But it seems that the closing down setting and the back four setting wasn't quite right. I'll be working on this right after i finish all the things i must take care on. :D

Wilfried is the only one i can come up with till now :p
I haven't play with any other team in a full season except from Wolves, been playing United for a while but think they are too strong so start a new game with Wolves. :D

yeah id apprciate the changes when they r made...also lots of times the IF counter and never cross to the empty man instead go for the shot...wud mkaing crosses sometimes help?

Sorry if this has been covered but, what position do you set the playmaker to, or leave it empty?

yeah id apprciate the changes when they r made...also lots of times the IF counter and never cross to the empty man instead go for the shot...wud mkaing crosses sometimes help?

Yeah, the reason i set the IFs cross to rarely because i was trying to make my IFs to play cut back pass from byline instead of crossing the ball (did you get what i mean?) I never try to to change the cross to sometimes tho, but you can try it and see if it works better tho :D

Sorry if this has been covered but, what position do you set the playmaker to, or leave it empty?

I thought my 'default' tactic already set the AP as the main playmaker mate. Just check the team instruction tho, i think it's already been tick that your AP is your playmaker.

Hey proxy, could Jelle Vossen play the poacher role?
He's got finishing and composure, but he's kindda slow (acceleration 13)
Im playing newcastle currently and it's my third season, at the momment im first in the league, 9 games till the end.
Sturridge is scoring goals but he has at least 3 CC per game and scores 1 eventually 2 goals :/
Btw, best tactics i've played on fm 2012!

IMO you should set IF to crossing sometimes.. They'll run to the byline often and just stand there waiting to be tackled if crossing is set to rarely. I don't use IFs at all because of this, though I'm using a tactic similar to Proxy's.. I use wingers on support instead which is working amazing for me!

About leaking goals: Using a 424 with the central midfield consisting of BWM and AVP and a high d-line will just leak you goals sometimes.. Its a very attacking formation but nontheless good.
Things you could try:
- Lower d-line a bit
- Wingbacks set to mainly defensive fullbacks (Having 4 in attack + and advanced playmaker is enough for attacking! IMO the wingbacks dont need to join the attack but just offer support and stand near the center of the pitch)
- Corners will just leak you goals no matter what it seems
- Get a very pacy central defender to cover. 15+ in acc. and pace
- I would have a secondary tactic with slightly different mechanics as a defensive option once youre 2-0 or 2-1 in second half. An example would be setting wingers/IFs to attack, dropping the poacher for a anchorman, so the formation will be a 433. The lone striker could be an Advanced forward or deep-lying forward support using the wingers/IFs as the main goal threat. Keep the adv. playmaker and maybe change the BWM to b2b midfielder or central midfielder support, depending on if youre adv. playmaker has enough support through the center of the pitch.

Just my 2 cents

Hey proxy, could Jelle Vossen play the poacher role?
He's got finishing and composure, but he's kindda slow (acceleration 13)
Im playing newcastle currently and it's my third season, at the momment im first in the league, 9 games till the end.
Sturridge is scoring goals but he has at least 3 CC per game and scores 1 eventually 2 goals :/
Btw, best tactics i've played on fm 2012!

You could try him to play there tho, take it to 5 games or so and see how he's doing in that role. I think he could do the job fine. Wilfried wasn't a pacey poacher either, but he's timing his run from deep very good and when he has the chance, he just buried them all LOL

Thanks mate :D

IMO you should set IF to crossing sometimes.. They'll run to the byline often and just stand there waiting to be tackled if crossing is set to rarely. I don't use IFs at all because of this, though I'm using a tactic similar to Proxy's.. I use wingers on support instead which is working amazing for me!

The reason i set the cross of my IFs to rarely was because i don't like it when my team play lots of crossing. I want my IFs to play cutting back pass from the byline (did you get what i mean?)
So other player who stays just otuside the box could easily slots the ball home. The IFs sometimes did this tho, but most of the time, they just did what like you just said above.

About leaking goals: Using a 424 with the central midfield consisting of BWM and AVP and a high d-line will just leak you goals sometimes.. Its a very attacking formation but nontheless good.
Things you could try:
- Lower d-line a bit
- Wingbacks set to mainly defensive fullbacks (Having 4 in attack + and advanced playmaker is enough for attacking! IMO the wingbacks dont need to join the attack but just offer support and stand near the center of the pitch)

I will try and work on finding the best d-line setting tho, but i just don't really like to have a literally four man defend. :p
I will try to solve the wingbacks problem by tweaking the mentality maybe and see how it works :p
Just curious, because it seems that there are other tactic that play a wingbacks and still look pretty stable at the back :D
Thanks for your advice tho, really appreciate it :D

Last edited:
I definitly know what you mean :) In my experience, unless you have class IFs, they will just freeze at byline! But if you have good ones, they will do the backpass.. I just don't like IFs haha, but if it works in your tactic well done.. Seems like most tactics on fm base use IFs..

Just curious, where do most of your conceded goals come from?

I definitly know what you mean :) In my experience, unless you have class IFs, they will just freeze at byline! But if you have good ones, they will do the backpass.. I just don't like IFs haha, but if it works in your tactic well done.. Seems like most tactics on fm base use IFs..

Just curious, where do most of your conceded goals come from?

Yeah, just curious how can we emulate that style of play into FM :D

From the feedback's, mostly because of counter attack, in my game tho, it only happened a few times. Mostly conceded the goals from corner kick wtf LOL

Mas,

Is it normal that the 2 striker swap with each other? meaning to say we need to have 2 dlp likes of player, since it is swapping around all the time

Mas,

Is it normal that the 2 striker swap with each other? meaning to say we need to have 2 dlp likes of player, since it is swapping around all the time

You can untick the swap for the strikers if you don't have striker that could play two roles. It's just that both Doyle and Wilfried was good enough to play in these two roles :D

I'm afraid I have stopped using as I was conceding so many goals - mainly from their wingers getting behind my fullback