Tactic Set for all teams - Great results - Patch 9.3

No, you should not temper with he formation/players positions

Against Sevilla, I think you should have switched to Control or Overload when you did jnot get that goal.

Away against Inter, I would probably use defensive or Counter, using heavy OI form the one suggested in the post above yours. Just be careful with the OI if you are playing against another human manager as they tend to switch formation more frequently

ic.. will post the result tomorrow, thanks TS

What are your recommendations when facing: 4 Def, 2DMC, AML, AMC, AMR, ST (used by Newcastle) whilst using the 4-4-2 Diamond TM set? I suspect my AMC will get outnumbered and very little space due to the DMCs so am considering giving him a Free Role and/or increased creative freedom. And at the other end my DMC and defenders will have attackers close to them so I can't see how a possession based tactic would work well... ideas?

I would probably play Control or Attack home( at home) and Counter or Defensive( away)
Just be aware of when they switch as use the Fc as FCLeft and the AMC as AMCright, This is a very attacking tactic and its important to use man-marking against them and use a tactic that get possession in advanced position,

EDIT:
Here is actually mny last match that I just played. Awa to Liverpool, that are playing that exact formation
We started with Defensive( I am using a 442, not a diamond though) and I tweaked the marking like this

marking.png

Current half time stats

halftime.png

Last edited:
I would implement the teaks against the 4-2-4 or attacking AIs a bit ealier when playing away from home.

Close down/ Always on all player WITH the ball( in the build up)

• Fullbacks
  • Central Midfielders
And Tight Mark/Always on all players WITHOUT the ball( in the build up)

• The Wingers
  • The Attackers
If they use a DMC you have to decide what to do. Is he responsible for the build up( close down), or is he a passing option for the FB and MC( the Tight mark, also in tactic by the FC)

You could also start playing man-man marking( specific, by position) all over the pitch.

Also, if not implementing the tweaks above, have a look at their MCright( mostly him, only sometimes the MCleft) and how much further up in the pitch then the ball he is. Use hard tackle and show weaker foot on him if he is very advancing. Also Close down /always on the other MC

Apart from that I do not think I would lower the mentality of the defenders. This would only results in even bigger gaps between our Fbs and Wingers

One last thing.. Often the probelm lies in not being able to score 2-0 when being in charge of the game. Focus on that as well

Hmm... I had implemented the respective OIs, like you mentioned. maybe i'll try to do it earlier from now on, or avoid lowering the player mentalities, see how it goes. If it still doesn't improve, i'll consider switching to the 4-4-2. Based on the feedbacks in this thread, seems like it has better results.

Hello mate, first i would like to congratulate u and tell u that i really appreciate the amount of effort u've put in these tactics, i've been using the 442 no target man the past season with aston villa with no major signings and loads of injuries and managed to finish 3rd in epl, semi final in uefa,fa and league cups (and that is my first season ever on fm, never played it before)

But generally i have never been able to be in awe of my team's performance, and i don't know why, like they always have to do something that ****** me off, or not do something that would obviously been better (especially away), so i was thinking maybe if i just give u my players list and u tell me what's the best tactic to use like home/away, and against top teams...I'm now preparing for 2nd season beginning the friendlies and i really need to win something this time... Thanks in advance of course! :)

GK: Asenjo, Friedel
RB: L. Young / C. Gardner (thinking of buying a top player but they're all refusing)

CB: Cuellar, Laursen, Distin, Diakhate

LB: N. Shorey, J. Mattock

DM: M. Veloso , S. Petrov

CM: G. Barry (I think i won't be able to keep him coz Chelsea are moving in with some big cash and i think the board would sell him without my consent)

AMR: J. Milner

AML: A. Young, R. Wallace

AMC: Juan Angel Albin (from Getafe, pretty decent player)

ST: O. Cardozo , Agbonlahor , Carew (going to sell him i think), Laurito (still an average player)

Another request (i know im asking for a lot) If u could plz upload the diamond tactics on filefront because whenever i download anything from zshare i get a 0 bytes file... thanks again! :)

Last edited:
just ignore my last post im was meaning i was looking for other formations as opposed to 442 but ive found them, gona start a new game with the 41221, let you know how i get on.

Hello mate, first i would like to congratulate u and tell u that i really appreciate the amount of effort u've put in these tactics, i've been using the 442 no target man the past season with aston villa with no major signings and loads of injuries and managed to finish 3rd in epl, semi final in uefa,fa and league cups (and that is my first season ever on fm, never played it before)

HI mate !

Use this set
http://www.zshare.net/download/5895770585a8260e/

NO Target man, NO playmaker

Left footed wingers on ML, right footed wingers on MR IMPORTANT !!
In-swinging corners...always taken by your wingers...never the Fullbacks..

I just crushed the EPL, 3rd consecutive title, with this set with Aston Villa using this team
Adler
Johnson - Davies - Cuellar - Shorey
Agbonlahor -Barry - Reo.- A.Young( shame he is right footed though)
Regen( in my earlier post) - Carew/Heskey/Hulk

At home,start with Balanced for a couple of matches and work from there, switching to attack if needed or to counter, etc etc

Away, use Counter as a start tactic. In away matches to top 5, use heavy OI and/or specific man marking.( also look at the marking-system of 7.Defensive before trying the tactic)

Just ask in thread if you have questions, just remember to be specific about wicth set you are using( call it the aston villa et) as my memory is as short as an argetinian AMC

:'( :'( I'm sorry mate i really can't download anything from zshare it's being really annoying for the past month whenever i download something from zshare i receive it as a 0 bytes file, could u plzzzzzzz upload it anywhere else??? Thanks a lot mate for taking the time to reply...

:'( :'( I'm sorry mate i really can't download anything from zshare it's being really annoying for the past month whenever i download something from zshare i receive it as a 0 bytes file, could u plzzzzzzz upload it anywhere else??? Thanks a lot mate for taking the time to reply...

I forgot about that

<object id="SWFUpload_0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.easy-share.com/js/swfupload/swfupload.swf?swfuploadrnd=99080704" class="swfupload" height="24" width="70">

</object>
<object id="SWFUpload_0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.easy-share.com/js/swfupload/swfupload.swf?swfuploadrnd=99080704" class="swfupload" height="24" width="70">

</object>

</object>

http://www.easy-share.com/1904667638/best442set.rar

and the Diamond

http://www.easy-share.com/1904667656/Diamond.rar

It says that they will available in a few minutes

TheBetterHalf..................thank you

Tried quite a few tactics (play as Liverpool 9.3.0) never had any success and never could win away form home. I am using your 4-4-1-1 no TM. Currently played 5 won 4 drawn 1 (2 away wins and a draw). I normally start with the Balance variant and adjust from there. I don't think a have got the changing of the tactics part way through the game right yet and worried about how to handle big 3?

Also been taken over by a tycoon (yippee), has no relevance to the question just so happy about receiving 145m transfer funds

TheBetterHalf..................thank you

Tried quite a few tactics (play as Liverpool 9.3.0) never had any success and never could win away form home. I am using your 4-4-1-1 no TM. Currently played 5 won 4 drawn 1 (2 away wins and a draw). I normally start with the Balance variant and adjust from there. I don't think a have got the changing of the tactics part way through the game right yet and worried about how to handle big 3?

Also been taken over by a tycoon (yippee), has no relevance to the question just so happy about receiving 145m transfer funds

Have a look in the post in this page( 5?) as there are some that will help you on the way. Posts about the importance of playing with Heavy OI, manmarking etc etc. Treat all away matches against difficult opposition as battles where in most cases, against he top 4, a draw is a very good results. Beat them at home, draw them away.

Tip: Away to Arenal( under Wenger): Start with defensive
Tip: away to United( under fergie): Start with Counter
Tip: Away to Chelsea( under Hidd): Start with SUS and the SUS OI

Those money are really needed since the squad really lacks in depth
Tip: Do not underestimate the skill of Mr.Dirk, escpecially when using Attack, Control and Overload
I am saying it since most people seem to sell him rather quickly. I played a seaosan with Pool suing this set and he was amazing for me in those version ( i.e at home),. I basiclly saved Torres for away matches( or, he was injuried all the time)

Last edited:
Hi TheBetterHalf,

I have some questions about the tactic...

- At the "442 with a semi target man" formation, you said that we must chose left FC as target man. But in the game there isn't a tick near "use targer man". Am I going to put a tick?

- Which one is better; Carew or Agbonlahor at FCL ?

- Which formation do you think is better to use when I'm playing online at home matches;
442 with a semi target man, 442, not using a target man (final version)or 442 TopNotch Teams - Final version ?

Thank you, I'm waiting for your answers...

Hi TheBetterHalf,

I have some questions about the tactic...

- At the "442 with a semi target man" formation, you said that we must chose left FC as target man. But in the game there isn't a tick near "use
targer
man". Am I going to put a tick?

- Which one is better;
Carew
or
Agbonlahor
at FCL ?

- Which formation do you think is better to use when I'm playing online at home matches;
442 with a semi target man, 442, not using a target man (final version)or 442
TopNotch
Teams - Final version ?

Thank you, I'm waiting for your answers...

I use a semi target man( in list but no box ticked). Use Carew, at least in the first season

As for the second questions I think you have misunderstood the sets. They all contain 7 different version and no set in it self is "better" for " playing online in home matches"

The set I would recommend though is the one just a few posts above this on, the one I use in my Villa save ( thebest442.rar)

Quick update, i'm currently first in the league with Boro after 21 games, won 14, drawn 7, lost 0. Only conceeded 12 goals so far, joint second lowest, scored 31 which is joint 7th. I've definatly got lucky and drawn or even won games I should of lost due to great keeping or a scorcher of a goal.

The 4-4-2 Diamond suits the Boro team imo as it allows O'Neil and Tuncay to play AMC rather than MC in a flat four midfield. The AMC really helps my targetman as many times I see Cardozo play simple passes back to the AMC who then plays through balls to the wide players where in other versions the MCa isn't in as good a position.

Cardozo is my main scorer (mostly from free kicks and headers) and is also my second highest assister playing the full TM role. The three highest average ratings are my two starting DCs (Wheater and Thiago Silva) and my DMC (Digard) which has given me the good defence, having Ustari behind them (2 MoM awards) also helps.

---------------

I've tweaked the closing down to be more to my liking, I felt in some of them (from memory: defensive/counter/balanced) the DMC and FBs were way too high, pulling them out of position and leaving my DCs exposed, especially against teams who don't use 4-4-2.

I've only just noticed there's a lot less differences between attack home and attack away compared to other sets, is this correct? The only real differences is the tempo, width and forward runs.

I started a new save with Wolves and so far have absolutely destroyed the Championship, im using a kind of hybrid Top Team 442 and the regular 442. We are 29-2-0 currently in the 6th round of the FA Cup (havent faced any real challanges so far.) and got knocked out of the LC in 3rd round to Tottenham only a 1 - 0 game though and we were unfortunate not to win.

Quick update, I'm currently first in the league with Boro after 21 games, won 14, drawn 7, lost 0. Only conceded 12 goals so far, joint second lowest, scored 31 which is joint 7th. I've definitely got lucky and drawn or even won games I should of lost due to great keeping or a scorcher of a goal.

I've only just noticed there's a lot less differences between attack home and attack away compared to other sets, is this correct? The only real differences is the tempo, width and forward runs.

Is this the first/second season?. Regardless, Those results are absolutely stunning. Would you care to upload your new versions of the tactics, with the tweaked closing down settings ?.

As for Attack away, I have actually no idea why the counter attack box is unticked ?, It sure is in my versions but it the ones, renamed and put into the rarfile, the box is not ticked. A slip of the mouse ?

So..the Attack away should have counter attack ticked. But if it works for you then don't.

---------- Post added at 05:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

I started a new save with Wolves and so far have absolutely destroyed the Championship, im using a kind of hybrid Top Team 442 and the regular 442. We are 29-2-0 currently in the 6th round of the FA Cup (haven't faced any real challenges so far.) and got knocked out of the LC in 3rd round to Tottenham only a 1 - 0 game though and we were unfortunate not to win.

Wow:O

Are they that good or are you overachieving big time ?

well I have an absolute wonder signing in Gokdeniz Karadeniz in the 20 some odd matches he has played for me he has an average rating of 7.87 and Ebanks-Blake is on fire he has 20 goals.

But in some games I am definately overacheiving, like there was one against Reading, we were on the back foot all game yet somehow managed a 3 - 0 win. I must say its by far the most fun I have had with a team. I just hope results like this come in the Prem

The 4-4-2 no tm is my fav. Used it with a recently religated Stoke and dominated the championship using the Overload tactic for home games and Balanced for away games. Don't bother with the OI as i do not beleive it works.

I tip my hat to you, you have created a great tactic.

ic.. will post the result tomorrow, thanks TS

away to inter using attack away and get 1 goal cardozo.. then change to counter at half time, and change to defensive in 70', result win 0-1, not using any OI.

tonight will be home against fiorentina.

Anyway I play season with CPU and seems whenever I use OI like :
close down on winger and tight marking on striker or vice versa.. I conceeded goal more than I left it without OI.
Am I missing something ?

away to inter using attack away and get 1 goal cardozo.. then change to counter at half time, and change to defensive in 70', result win 0-1, not using any OI.

tonight will be home against fiorentina.

Anyway I play season with CPU and seems whenever I use OI like :
close down on winger and tight marking on striker or vice versa.. I conceded goal more than I left it without OI.
Am I missing something ?

Firstly, what do you man with the bit in bold ?

Why would you close down on winger etc etc..or are you referring to OI in general ? If so, then stay away from them. I only use them when I am certain how the AI is playing, when I can spot the difference between a a player making moves and player creating movements etc

Back