I'm not sure anyone will take me now Ninja! I'm cursed!

Cheers Taylor, I'm certainly going to try and get back as soon as I can!

That's the kind of positivity that keeps me going Sammu! That... and a strong addiction to Football Manager. Thanks again!

So it's another season in the basement of English football.

Whilst I get used to the familiarity of life at the foot of what seems to be an increasingly large footballing mountain, it's also remaining surprisingly familiar at the top of the standings...

gWhYxFB.png
iJa1U8n.png
sYaDww.png
Jose MourinhioMassimiliano AllegriDeigo Simeone
Manchester UnitedJuventusAtletico Madrid
£250,000 per week£230,000 per week£190,000 per week

Jose not only re-affirms his place at the top of the pack but also cements his place in the record books as his leads his Red Devils to a sensational Quintuple.

With the Community Shield, UEFA Super Cup, Club Winners Cup, Premier League title and the all important Champions League trophy in the locker, Jose is set to long reign at the very top.

For Allegri and Simeone, its a case of picking up what's left.

A Serie A title and the Copa Del Rey ensure that the duo at least end the season with something to smile about.

For myself. I too end the season with a little something...

...A Thirty-Five percent pay-cut.

BHdoxY.png

EmFc6LO.png
Derby Jack
Torquay United
£450 per week

My jump to Torquay and the riches of the National League back-fires in dramatic style as an instant relegation and large pay-cut puts me essential back to where we started this entire debacle.

With my wage back down to the bottom, a club now seemingly in turmoil and my CV taking yet another beat down, it's safe to say Jose doesn't have anything to worry about for the foreseeable future.

Thankfully with Torquay's generous two year contract, I've got one season with The Gulls to go...

...One last chance to rejuvenate this sorry looking career.

Just a note this might be my last post for a while.

Well specifically the 5th of January. I'm off to scout out potential in Italy for the New Year... with the girlfriend.

Anyway. Hope you all had a Good Christmas and a Great New Year gents!

AJsWG0.png

With no early route back into the National League, I hunker down for another shot at climbing the lowest rung of the ladder.

Truth be told this isn't a complete disaster.

With a team and the setup still lingering from their days in the football league, this should be a walk in the park.

Time to craft a squad for my causal stroll to silverware.

Bm2hBn.png

We somehow manage to stop the entire first-team from jumping ship by guilt tripping them into another season with the Gulls.

Three transfers get us under way as Blair, Abrahams and Childs all depart the club. The trio of departures only pulled in a measly five grand but at least began the clear out of deadwood as we look to force some space in our now minuscule wage budget.

wLZKNe.png

Despite our damage limitation job we still see influential central midfielder Luke Young instantly abandon the club as he refuses to renew his contract with the club. Can't blame him. Despite Youngs departure we do manage to desperately cling on to all important Irish finisher, Eoghan Stokes for what should be a free-scoring season.

0DJDzy.png

dOJzxa.png

Cost: Free​

First arrival of the season see's Right-back Joseph Wilson arrive at the club. The Twenty-Two year old failed to make the cut at both Reading and Wycombe but with a solid-season at Dover now under his belt, hopes are high that the nippy wing-back can continue to repair what remains of his career with the Gulls.

5utEjl.png

Cost: Free

Returning to the Lions, I snap up Welsh attacking midfielder, Dylan Levitt on a quick-fire free transfer. The supremely talented Welsh play-maker doesn't really fit into my four-four-two lineup but should be more then capable of morphing into a game changing central midfielder. Bargain signing.

8Efftf.png

When you have no money one of the best places to lurk is the exit door at Old Trafford. Recent released from The Red Devils, right winger Tom Shaw perfectly fills in what is now a rather glaring hole on the right side of midfield. With rapid pace and a neat cross, Shaw could light up the League this season.

DdLjGY.png

Coming from Liverpool, Cunningham is ready to made to slot in on Shaw's opposite flank. What he lacks in speed compared to Shaw, James makes up for it with solid technical ability. An impressive cross and the technique to match, Cunningham could well find himself setting up a number of chances for key-striker Stokes.

t9OR9I.png

Cost:
Loan - End of Season

With none of last season's loanees willing to ply their trade any lower down the standings and no wage-budget remaining we turn to Accrington's Aussie left-back Reagon Ogle to add some depth to our defence. He might not have the pace to overlap down the flanks but his defensive abilities should at least see him keep our left flank water-tight.

TJl0n2.png

Cost:
Loan - End of Season

We somehow manage to hold off a number of better teams as we land loanee Tom Taylor. The Irish Under Twenty-One midfielder has some of the most impressive physical attributes in the entire league and should easily run the show in the middle of the park alongside fellow new arrival Levitt.

Despite heading towards a season even further down the standings, I genuinely think I might have ended up with a stronger team.

With the start of the league quickly approaching, surely it's now just a matter of sitting back and waiting for the title and a return to the National League to come rolling in.

Still enough time to dust off the trophy cabinet in preparation...

Last edited:
Ogle is a name I recognise, he turns out to be a very good player and will be brilliant for you in the National South. The others I'm not as familiar with but they all look like they'll be useful signings for the season, good luck mate.

Been very cruel for you so far but great to see you are sticking with it. I'm sure you'll get that lucky break soon and get yourself higher up the football rung.

Just caught up after the Christma festivities. gutted to see you go down but did a great job in the time you had. Fingers crossed you bounce straight back up!

Possibly the most unsuccessful of your stories I've followed DJ, still thoroughly enjoyable and looking forward to the inevitable (optimistic) turnaround!

A surprisingly steady start Jack, what's happening?

Just want to add that I think one of the things that makes your stories so compelling is the contrast to most others, where everyone is keen to play down their chances and make themselves the underdog before experiencing "extraordinary" success. On the other hand, you love setting yourself up for a fall (see above), and it's great!

This comment sums my opinion up and what makes your story so good, You haven't went from non-league to premiership in 3 seasons ! Reality is better IMO I hate saves that you just get constant success nothing better than a struggle & IF/When you get to the top it will be a great feeling.

Story is class.

Hi DJ,

Just looking around for some stories and found that you have revived your love for FM again!!

I am so pleased, your stories are by far the best I have read and was disappointed that you FM17 save didn't continue after the MLS took your soul.

Looking forward to reading of the Mercenary manager (with dormant time-travelling abilities) who will rise to the top and become the most over paid manager in the world.

Cheers,

Nosibor

Fingers crossed Taylor. Inherited him on loan last season when I arrived and did the job so should be more then capable at this level. Thanks as always!

I'm remaining optimistic Jedd! Simply based on sheer grim determination I have to bumble my way up the standings at some point!

Cheers Neavie, I enjoyed my brief time in the National League until the end!

That alone is quite the achievement Battman! That almost felt like the dreaded vote of confidence though!

Thanks very much Gallant Pioneer. As much as I moan and groan about wallowing down in the depths, I actually really enjoy grinding it out in lower league football, so it's great to here that you are enjoying i too. That said hopefully one day I'll make it out of the basement!

Thanks alot Nosibor, really appreciate it! The MLS is very much to be avoided this time, fingers crossed I'll make it at some point or another!​

Preseason 2021

3Hc5OT.png

11th July 2021
Friendly

fZ0gQv.png

We kick off what should hopefully be a rallying preseason by narrowly edging our way past Brighton's Under Twenty-Threes. The impressive potential on display from the Seagulls young squad kept them well into the game but a goal just four minutes from time ensured we would at least keep some pride against our fellow South Coast side.

17th July 2021
Friendly

vLC4rI.png

Eoghan Stokes. The sea-side Ronaldo. The Irish sharpshooter has somehow accepted another season with the Gulls despite the recent relegation and the fact that his ability should really see him mixing it up on the fringes of a Football League team. A dominant hat-trick see's our key striker guides us to a comfortable away-day victory.

24th July 2021
Friendly

jQmtfG.png

He's at it again in the next game as our tour of Southern minnows continues to improve morale with Stoke's showing no sign of resentment netting a clinical brace. With a flat four-four-two formation now back in place, it seems I've found a way to finally pick up those long awaited victories!

31st July 2021
Friendly

6DWaIb.png

Demolition Job. The boys round off a quick fire preseason by destroying Tiverton in crushing fashion. Stokes play making strike-partner Leitch-Smith takes a break from feeding him with the goals as he picks up a brace of his own but it's an all round team effort that see's the sorry Tiverton stopper fish the ball out of his net six times.

_______

If that's a sign of things to come we are about to pulverize the National League South.

For too long I have dwindled away in the depths of English football.

This is it. The managerial maestro within me has awoken!

...its amazing what beating a youth team and three non-league minnows can do for morale.

August 2021​

hPe181.png

7th August 2021
National League South

iLtVV8.png

The boys start what proved to be a dominant month of football with a nervy victory against fellow former Football League side, Newport. With both sides determined to end their apparent free-fall through the Leagues before it is too late, the early three points over the potential rivals for promotion could already prove invaluable.

10th August 2021
National League South

xRbHWE.png

Strike duo, Leitch-Smith and Stokes combine for the second game in a row as we pick up the points over Whitehawk. Having gone a goal behind mid-way through the first half, the emphatic reply showed some strong early signs that the boys are certainly well up for battling all the way this season.

14th August 2021
National League South

5ElQ7v.png

The Gulls continue their early claim to the top spot as they sneak their way past a spirited Margate. Having secured a two goal lead it seemed the boys were set to see out what had thus far been a routine game of football but a quick reply from the home side ensured another worryingly long wait to secure our third victory in a row.

21st August 2021
National League South

KXFklU.png

Oxford City eventually find a way to put an end to Eoghan Stoke's early run of form but their resilient defending was undone after just seven minutes courtesy of a well worked corner routine that saw central defender Matty Eldson raise highest to scoop his second of the season. The entire team is on board this early streak of form.

24th August 2021
National League South

2Q8IUW.png

The winning streak comes to an end as we are left frustrated by a solid looking Maidstone. Having defended admirably for the entire first-half we eventually found a way through The Stones back-line courtesty of the ever impressive Eoghan Stokes but our hard-work was instantly undone as an instant reply brought an end to our winning streak as Maidstone once again shut up shop.

28th August 2021
National League South

GkfTju.png

Like a footballing version of the N.W.A, Leitch-Smith f***s the police with a stunning hat-trick. Usually playing second fiddle to our sharp-shooting Stokes, Leitch-Smith this time forces his way to the front smashing in every opportunity he could find to get us back to winning ways instantly at the expense of the Metropolitan Police.

August 2021
National League South

BIcEV8.png

This. This is more like it.

Four seasons of suffering have all come together for this solitary month. Having gone the entirety of August without tasting defeat the boys find themselves sitting pretty at the top of the table but it's certainly not over yet. With Sutton matching us step for step and a host of equally determined teams waiting in the wings to take our place in the League's all important promotion spot.

That's what the previous season were in aid of LuckDuck! Just building up to this...​

September 2021

y04Jdg.png

4th September 2021
National League South

LV7WkN.png

Our second solid month gets underway with the battle of the current leaders as we go toe to toe with fellow unbeaten side, Sutton United. With both sides throwing caution to the wind in their attempts to secure the early title spot, the spoils were eventually shared as a thoroughly entertaining game of football ends in a deserved point for both sides.

7th September 2021
National League South

9JBxNt.png

I developed somewhat of a hatred for Dulwich Hamlet. The football hipsters represent everything against my career goal but a very welcome three points more then made amends for my unwarranted bitterness. Another impressive showing from the increasingly impressive Leitch-Smith continued his fine-form and an unfortunate injury will put him even further into the spotlight.

nShbG6.png

11th September 2021
National League South

LQLCGp.png

With Stokes sidelined the goals seemingly had dried up as we struggled to an unconvincing draw against Chippenham. With the boys clinging on to the point, stand in striker Jonny Margetts emerged with just minutes remaining on the clock to steal the show as he rifles home not just one game winning goal but two. Strength in depth.

18th September 2021
FA Cup - 2nd Qual. Rnd

sEOIVZ.png

With a seeming promotion push in the making, a foray into the FA Cup might be seen as a rather un-needed distraction but with the clubs spiral down the tables has also come a dramatic dip in finances. A five goal thrashing of a decidedly un-interested Thurrock put us one step closer to a tie against one of the football leagues best.

21st September 2021
National League South

VJi3rU.png

Back to the League and just three days later we are straight back to demolishing our League rivals. An all round team showing ensured that Eoghan Stokes injury doesn't derail our promotion push with both of our wingers joining our free-scoring strike partnership on the score-sheet to see off Havant & Waterlooville with ease.

25th September 2021
National League South

kVhCjI.png

Having netted twelve goals in the last three matches, the free-scoring Gulls looked set to continue their dominant run of form with a victory over Gosport as stand in striker, Jonny Margetts seemingly opened the floodgates within just three minutes but a seemingly determined Gosport held us at bay with the travelling fans settling for a narrow but all important three points.

September 2021
National League South

Wd3sj3.png

Continuing our unbeaten run in the League we continue to set the early pace at the top of the table. Unfortunately for the Gulls there is not time to relax as our apparent rivals for promotion, Sutton United continue to match us step for step. With the season quickly taking shape, this could be poised for a dramatic battle to remain at the pinnacle.
PreGBf.png

Two months into my time with the Gulls in the National League South and we already pick up a well deserved award. Prior to taking over in Torquay it is safe to say my career didn't really have much shine to it. Half a season in Devon and despite suffering a rather disappointing relegation, my career is already making some long awaited progress...

Last edited:

October 2021​

XhIAA6.png

2nd October 2021
FA Cup - 3rd Qual. Rnd

7x4H0d.png

We continue to try and break into the first round proper of the competition as we sneak past fellow National League South side, St Albans. With neither side seemingly all that interested in adding to a busy set of fixtures, it took the man of the hour, Jonny Margetts to finally break the deadlock as he thankfully continues our cup run for now...

9th October 2021
National League South

puuhK9.png

Our unbeaten run continues into the next month as we sneak past Maidenhead by the skin of our teeth. In another tight game, we seemed set for our first defeat of the season when the away side took the lead just ten minutes from time but another impressive corner routine saw defender Alex Storey raise highest to salvage the point.

12th October 2021
National League South

wmS8at.png

For the second game in a row we manage to secure a point in less then convincing fashion with a fortunate own goal this time our only saving grace. With the fixtures now coming thick and fast, it seems that the boys are slowly starting to show signs that our place towards the top of the table might not quite be so secure. The cracks are beginning to show.

16th October 2021
FA Cup - 4th Qual. Rnd

iXImMz.png

For the third time in a row the boys are unable to find a cutting edge as we are this time held by fellow National League South side, Oxford City in the FA Cup. With the lure of a potential Football League tie awaiting, we seemed set for our first defeat of the season until substitute, Dan Holman tucked in a late leveler to give us one last shot at progression...

20th October 2021
FA Cup - 4th Qual. Rnd Replay

GXM12T.png

...and we blew it. Its been a long time coming but for the first time this season the boys taste defeat as our last minute luck dies out in bruising fashion with Oxford this time reversing our fortunes with two last minute goals of their own. Despite the defeat and the end of any hopes for an FA Cup adventure going up in smoke, I can at least now concentrate on the league?

23rd October 2021
National League South

KgvWWt.png

Back to the League and the boys make an impressive return to winning ways. My former side Welling refused to let me make a return to the points with ease but our usual fourth choice striker, Dan Holman continued to showcase our impressive strength in depth with his brace eventually clipping the determined Wings.

26th October 2021
National League South

y6F5AM.png

He might be down the pecking order but Dan Holman certainly knows how to put his name in the mixer for a continued place in the starting eleven. Once again we were made to work for the victory but a finishing masterclass from the experienced striker proved to be just enough to put us back on track.

30th October 2021
National League South

URil1w.png

Fresh from almost seeing off Slough on his own, Holman is straight back on to the scoresheet as he pegs back a quick starting Salisbury. A goal just before the break gave us the advantage before Merson handed us the points, seemingly getting a little bit too fired up by the team-talk, seeing Red just seconds after the start of the half.

October 2021
National League South

nXYS3C.png

Our third unbeaten month in a row has the boys finally distance themselves from second place, Sutton. With United now five points behind us and the half way stage of the season quickly approaching, hopes are high that we can make an instant return to the National League. Non-League Invincibles...
8Nj2jX.png

For the second month in a row I pick up the Manager of the month award. Truth be told I'm not exactly doing all that much. Torquay's squad is seemingly head and shoulders above most of our League opposition with even our fringe players making the most of the opportunities to truly impress at this level.

Last edited:
Class start to the new season ! hopefully your luck has changed for the short term just now at least and you can get a bit of consistency and reputation built up.

This is amazing Jack, rooting for an Invincible season from you here!

Great start to the season, will have all the big* clubs calling your name.

*Big as in more people in the stands than on the pitch

Reputation is everything right now Gallant, If I'm to even get a sniff at a job in the football league I'm going to need this National League South title just to get me noticed! Thanks again!

Cheers Patrick! Should probably have taken Pep's approach and played it down a little...

It doesn't get much bigger then Slough on a rainy Saturday Ninja! I really hope this does something though, should probably start making some progress to this challenge! Cheers!

November 2021

zv0xAv.png

13th November 2021
National League South

Hhproy.png

With the team apparently unable to put a foot wrong of late we emerge from a bruising encounter against Woking with a slender one goal victory. With clubs now seemingly setting out merely to defend against our talented squad, we are being made to work for every point but a last gasp winner from Cunningham ensured the boys hard-work was duly rewarded.

20th November 2021
National League South

60K8sZ.png

He's back. On his first appearance since his injury Eoghan Stokes instantly picks up from where he left off as he smashing home the game winning goal. St Albans are not enjoying the best of seasons but still managed to keep the usually prolific Irishman limited to just the one goal as we scoop our fifth straight victory in the League

27th November 2021
FA Trophy - 3rd Qual. Rnd

2ycEJ7.png

With the FA Cup condemning us to our only defeat of the season, we turn to the slightly less grand, FA Trophy for one last shot at a cup run. Non-League minnows Fleet make the journey down to Torquay for our qualifying fixture and are thoroughly smashed back out the competition as our dominant strike duo combine to devastating affect once more.

November 2021
National League South

Im2E1o.png

Just two league games but the boys maintain our unbeaten record as we increase our gap over the chasing pack to a know daunting seven points. With the half-way stage of the season quickly approaching surely now it's just a matter of slogging our way through the remaining fixtures to claim some long awaited silverware.

December 2021

a5zfIT.png

4th December 2021
National League South

m9gXbQ.png

Dream over. Just days into December and we suffer the first League defeat of the season. With the hefty weight of the streak now lifted from their shoulders I hoped the boys would quickly rally and get us quickly back on the way to growing our impressive gap over the chasing pack... Unfortunately it didn't quite plan out as expected...

14th December 2021
National League South

WBr4QY.png

A lowly Hungerford side should have gifted us with the perfect opportunity to return to winning ways but within just Twenty minutes the boys showed signs that the loss of the unbeaten streak might have affected them more then I thought. Thankfully in no mood to wallow and watch our title claim slip, Eoghan Stokes restored some clarity with an equalizing goal.

18th December 2021
FA Trophy - 1st Rnd

CgzhYG.png

With our pride in the League now seemingly rocked, the boys are unable to return to their prior form as we crash out of the FA Trophy at the hands of a Havant and Waterlooville side sitting just behind us in the race for promotion. With the clubs around us now sensing blood, it's going to be all hands to the pumps as we now concentrate solely on the National League.

26th December 2021
National League South

lSu1bO.png

Having gone two goals down within the opening Twenty minutes it seemed Bath were set to condemn us to our second defeat in what was quickly shaping up to be a rather disastrous month of football. Thankfully the boys rallied in style to reclaim a hard-earned lead just minutes beyond the second half whistle but a Bath leveler ensured we wouldn't end our slide just yet.

28th December 2021
National League South

hJd48R.png

Capping off a shoddy month of football we capitulate to gift Newport with an undeserved victory. With Eoghan Stokes unleashing all he could in an end to end first half, our slender lead soon disappeared in the second as a sloppy penalty and some worryingly suspect defending saw our fellow former football league side steal the victory.

December 2021
National League South

k7xa40.png

Well...That happened.

In a complete collapse of form the boys throw away almost the entirety of their hard-work in the span of just one month. With our unbeaten streak now lying tattered and forgotten on the floor, Sutton United waste little time in seizing the opportunity quickly over throwing our once formidable gap and claiming the top of the table.

Normality is restored.

January 2022

oyZDXo.png

1st January 2022
National League South

J6HnNT.png

New Year. Old Torquay. In a thankfully welcome return to their early season ways the boys are able to return to victory as they grind out a narrow victory over a Whitehawk side desperately fighting against relegation. With the club seemingly set for another disappointing draw, the ever reliable Eoghan Stokes left it late to secure the three points.

3rd January 2022
National League South

tOE0j2.png

Continuing their dramatic trend of slender victories, the boys make it a tense run in to the final whistle. Having secured an impressive three goal lead within just fifteen minutes the boys then switched off with the game seemingly all but over but Margate refused to go down without a fight. Pegging us back to just a one goal lead the final whistle came to the relief of the entire home crowd.

8th January 2022
National League South

QhxxZM.png

In our attempts to claw back the top spot from table-topping Sutton United, we are delayed in our efforts thanks to a brutally late goal just seconds from the final whistle. With the Stones and the rest of the playoff pack now breathing ever heavily down our necks dropped points like this could prove increasingly costly...

15th January 2022
National League South

pUOQ2O.png

...Well that wont help. Fresh from knocking us out of the FA Cup, Oxford confirm that they do indeed have our number as they repeat the feat in the League. Having gone a goal down in a frustratingly one-sided first half, we throw caution into the wind in the search for an equalizer with our attacking efforts only rewarded with a second for the home-side. Disappointing.

29th January 2022
National League South

rbpmbG.png

With the miserable winter weather giving us a fortnight to refocus, the boys fight back from their recent defeat in terrific style as they pull off a much needed victory over a Sutton United side desperate to build on their new found status at the top of the table. With Holman's clinical penalty clinching the victory, we start the year on a much needed high.

January 2022
National League South

UErKjh.png

Despite seeing them off in the final game of the month, Sutton still manage to cling on to their place at the top of the table by a solitary point. With the club remaining held back in second place we can take some solace in the fact that we still have one game in hand over the club keeping us from sitting in our previous lofty position.

Brilliant story just read the whole thread today after only recently coming back onto FMBase, doing really well with Torquay and i hope the form picks up again soon, although as a Cornish Man i have to point out that Torquay is in Devon not Cornwall! lol