The Football Managing Mercenary

• Thread starter Thread starter DerbyJack
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 391
  • Views Views 206K

I can do it at times! It's not exactly a meteoric raise unfortunately! Cheers Sammu!​

A turn-around, a title, a job well done.

AJsWG0.png

For the first time in this career its actual back to back progress.

With essentially two seasons under my belt with the Gulls, I've done my little bit to return this fantastic little club to the Football League.

They will be missed...

2020/21
National League
vkwoQ3.png

su4er8.png

Things didn't exactly get off to the best of starts. Having arrived at the club it was essentially a case of swinging wildly in my attempts at trying to keep my new found club in the National League. Alas it was not to be. A close run season saw the Gulls slip down to the lowest rung of the ladder as I made an immediate step back down.

2021/22
National League South

R4Z2DE.png

tNcnY1.png

Thankfully I didn't have to wait long. Managing to keep hold of almost the entire first-team, an inspired squad rejuvenated not just my career but the entire clubs fortunes as we finally stopped the rot with a title winning season. With the silverware pretty much the only high of my career thus far, the Devonshire club instantly softened my cold money grabbing heart...

2022/23
National League

NjuolD.png

uX9mIy.png

...For half a season. With the clubs finances dwindling fast, the whole prerogative of this season boiled down to doing my utmost to attract a new club. With the Gulls performing above even their own expectations it took only until November for an opportunity to come my way as I leave the club hopefully now safely lodged in the National League.

_______

I enjoyed that.

Having essentially crafted my own first team throughout my time with the club it was a welcome relief to finally get my teeth into managing a club.

With a heap of stumbling blocks now hopefully well behind me, I can only hope with my one and only trophy taking pride of place on my record, this is the sign of things to come.

On wards! T' Yorkshire...again!

Last edited:

fuuQVf.png

It's good to be back. Kind of...

Having been routinely humiliated by my new found club whilst at the helm of their local rivals Guiseley, I make a rather awkward introduction to life in Bradford.

To put this into perspective, imagine a non-League version of the current Mourinhio and Conte spat. For the entirety of my first season with the Lions, this club and their manager, Alex Meecham tormented me culminating in a humiliating playoff defeat to condemn to another season at the foot of the English football...

Thankfully. Money apparently heals all wounds...

mzIo7V.png

That's more like it.

With my wage almost doubled from my pittance being offered in Torquay one thing becomes very clear already.

This club is apparently loaded.

With the bank balance sitting astonishingly high for this level at nearly three million pounds this most certainly appears to be a club on the raise and the League standings would appear to certainly support that claim...

6dLuIq.png

gJUXeP.png

Well this is familiar.

I might not have launched my way up the Leagues but simply taken an instant shortcut into the mix at the top.

With half a season to go and the board seemingly happy to settle for a spot in the playoffs, it should simply be a matter of continuing what my managerial nemesis Alex Meecham has started...I'm not willing to settle for that.

With the League seemingly wide open, there's a welcome chance for me to try and run at getting back to back League titles.

For too long i have been in the Meecham's pathetic shadow. If I'm to join him in the Football League there is no finer way to do it then at the helm of the club he abandoned.

Justice will be served!

Last edited:
Best story on here! When i get bored of my burton albion story i may do something similar to this

Thanks very much Brooksey! Good luck with the Brewers for now!

Cheers neavie!

Indeed Sammu! I've never really got embroiled in a slagging match with a FM manager before but it's already personal.

fuuQVf.png

Once again there's little time to waste as I make my start to life in Bradford.

With a promotion campaign very much on the line, I can only hope I've inherited a team that deserve to be at this lofty height...

3EsJME.png

Well. One things certain.

I'm not going to run out of players anytime soon.

With nearly thirty players on the books it seems Park Avenue are determined to get rid of their impressive three million pounds as quickly as possible.

Despite their swelled numbers there are still some rather worrying holes in the back four with no recognised left-back and a number of defenders looking rather suspect at this level.

Non the less, it seems we're going to attack our way to the top...

6ZwTLx.png

Current leading goal scorer at the club David Ramsden is smashing it in the League of late. Despite not possessing perhaps the most impressive of technical abilities, the Nineteen year old's sheer pace alone has seen him cause a number of issues to defences up and down the country. Feeding him with balls to chase is crucial to keeping us in the running.

MFesnp.png

Joining him upfront comes Irish poacher, Aaron Connolly. More then capable of joining Ramsden in hammering towards defences with his daunting speed, the former Brighton player also possesses a finishing touch that will hopefully see him impress in the final half of the season as we look to smash our way towards the top of the table.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

With the January transfer window quickly approaching any glaring gaps I can spot in the team can thankfully be filled relatively quickly but having got themselves into such a strong position perhaps I would be better not to tinker at all...

Time to see if this club has earned their place so high in the standings...

November 2022​

wziPm0.png

30th November 2022
National League

BTURRo.png

There's barely enough time to introduce myself to my new found squad before we are instantly thrown into League action, with one game to round off a busy month of football. With a hastily assembled first team the boys thankfully set off exactly where Meecham left them as they claim a deserved first half victory over a spirited Kettering.

November 2022
National league

vLIA2v.png

Well that's a positive start. With one solitary game under my belt I managed to guide the club one step closer to promotion as we cease third place in the League just two points shy of current Leaders Southport. With the top of the table seemingly wide-open for the taking, its going to be dramatic run in. Thankfully I've apparently got a Non-League superstar on my hands...
ABn0Du.png

rWlhRJ.png

Scooping both player of the month awards, on loan striker Dale Black caps an apparently impressive month of football in style. With the teenage prodigy scooping up eight goals in just five games, it seems I'm spoiled for choice upfront. Any self-respecting manager however would appreciate that I had barely a single hand in this haul of awards...

...I however have none.

What a start to my career in Bradford. You're welcome Dale.

December 2022​

YhJhM4.png

6th December 2022
National League

lZuCoT.png

Its a quick return to Torquay as I go up against my former club just a week after leaving the club. With Leitch-Smith testing my nerve with a quick-fire opening goal , the boys showed their top of the table credentials with an impressive turn-around just after the half-time whistle but my former star-striker ensured I wouldn't profit from the Gulls once more with a leveler ten minutes from time.

10th December 2022
National League

VbNwpf.png

Despite the dropped points in the previous game the team seem to be riding an impressive wave of morale and they quickly shake of the disappointment to cruise past Havant & Waterlooville. With a ruthless performance across the board only a late penalty dampened an otherwise faultless display from my potentially title contending squad.

17th December 2022
FA Trophy - 1st Rnd

v9PBYo.png

Prior to my appointment with Park Avenue, the FA Trophy has always been somewhat of a minor distraction. With the club however dueling it out with the best the Non-League world has to offer, the trophy might actual be within genuine reach. A tentative draw in the first round combined with an ugly red card however didn't exactly inspire confidence.

21st December 2022
FA Trophy - 1st Rnd Replay

zMdqmM.png

Thankfully with Salford making the quick trip to Horsfall Stadium, the boys pull out all the stops to advance our way into the second round of the competition as the combination of Ramsden and Connolly makes up for the disappointment of the last game, smashing our fellow National League side out of the competition. Start making space in the Trophy Cabinet.

26th December 2022
National League

z74xUl.png

The impressive cup victory unfortunately didn't run over into the next game as the team is punished for switched off just minutes before the final whistle. With our Irish poacher Connolly firing us into the lead it seemed the team was set to add to their already impressive tally but some wayward defending gifted an undeserving Macclesfield with a fortunate point.

31st December 2022
National League

mn4lC4.png

Having disappointingly dropped points on boxing day the boys also ensure a lowly end to the year as they lazily glide their way to a goalless draw with Eastleigh. With the New Year on the horizon it seems the majority of the squad was readying themselves for the midnight celebrations, I on the other hand was quickly eyeing the dawning of an all important transfer window.

December 2022
National League

ATNjiC.png

I'm not entirely sure how but despite dropping a number of points across the festive period we have somehow managed to hold on to our place in the League. Truth be told it would appear no one is prepared to lay down the law at the top of the table as nearly everyone around us also suffers the same fate.

This League is there for the taking.

fuuQVf.png

Having inherited a team well on it's way to being in the run in for both promotion and maybe even the FA Trophy it seemed the best option in the mid-season Transfer window might be best left well alone...

However I couldn't resist just a smattering of business...

NpR8dK.png

With a bloated squad I quickly set about trimming some of the fat.

Midfielders Thompson and Charles were both deemed surplus to requirements but both managed to seal deals that saw them make a surprise move into League Two with both struggling Flyde and Cambridge respectivley, whilst fringe striker John McAtee somehow managed to attract a relatively big money signing from another Football League side, Luton.

With all three men somehow bagging moves to the Football League it seems I apparently don't have the best judgement...

However I feel I made up for it with one landmark signing...

pMwsgK.png

eaj4po.png

Cost: Free​

Well. That's quite some fall from grace.

Arriving back in his home-town, the former Villa, City and latterly Swansea player has somehow ended up in Non-League football. With potentially a handful of years left in his career the former England International has more then enough still about him to run the entire show at this level with his surprise arrival sending shockwaves throughout the division.

Potentially the only England International in Non-League football?

With three departures and one England legend arriving at the club, I can only hope I've managed to form a squad capable of tearing into this apparently wide-open League.

I've a craving for Silverware.

Delph and co better deliver.

That's an extraordinary signing, must be the reputation of the manager that convinced him to join!

Even a 33 year old Fabian Delph is one **** of a blag for your level - nice one!

Your vast list of contacts and reputation within the game is obviously what attracted Mr. Delph!

Wait what?!
I thought you were joking and I was going to see a regen face with his name... Wow.

My moneys on booze. lots and lots of booze. Cheers Patrick!

Thanks Sammu, was rather surprised myself!

Cheers Battman, I'm ever hopeful.

Thanks Gallant, he should be able to. His left peg alone is better then the rest of my central midfielders.

Thanks alot Matt, does anyone know if us being his home-town club helped with him signing or is it just a coincidence?

I'm pretty sure Big Tracey in the Burger Van at Welling had a hand in this one Neavie!

January 2023

fVS7LZ.png

1st January 2023
National League

GBDYNy.png

Football schedules can be brutal at times. Or in the case of the National League just **** right bizarre. With the boys playing out a draw on New Years Eve, they are immediately thrown back into action as any ideas of a wild celebration to ring in 2023 are shelved with another lifeless bore-draw seeing a knackered squad crawl there way to the full time whistle.

7th January 2023
National League

wd2gw2.png

With the boys recovering from their two games in two days, they eventually return for match fitness just in time for an important tie against Bromley. With our Irish striker finally finding the back of the net for the first Park Avenue goal of the New Year it seemed we were set to pick up a vital victory...for all of a minute. More dropped points. Surely this will cost us.

14th January 2023
FA Trophy- 2nd Rnd

dQ2qbe.png

A quick jaunt into the FA Trophy and it's yet more missed opportunities as we are held by a struggling Grimsby in the FA Trophy. With Connolly finding the back of the net once more, it seems our goal poaching Irishman is seemingly cursed as his opening goal is once again quickly cancelled out as the Mariners force an unwanted replay.

18th January 2023
FA Trophy - 2nd Rnd Replay

N59XgL.png

...A very unwanted replay. My previously brief unbeaten spell at home is snuffed out just three minutes from time as a low scoring month of football see's us punished by an opportunistic Grimsby. Since winning the title with Torquay, I've found a deeply buried craving for silverware, unfortunately it's not to be in the cup. Guess I'll settle for the League then...

21st January 2023
National League

07WsP8.png

...maybe not. We seem to be incapable of scoring more then one goal since the turn of the year. Stockport should certainly be pushing to join us in the battle at the top of the table but have been found short thus far, not that it stopped them from sticking their oar into our promotion push as they dominated the second half to condemn me to back to back defeats.

28th January 2023
National League

jZK2K3.png

Back to Black. Making his first appearance since my arrival, on loan striker Dale Black reminds me just why I should show him more faith as he rifles home the only goal of the game restoring us to winning ways in the most surprising of fashions as we sneak our way past a Hampton & Richmond side previously pushing for the title. Probably a reason he won those awards last month...

31st January 2023
National League

Q7hahy.png

Keeping the faith with Dale I am instantly rewarded as he opens the scoring against Hereford to send us on our way to an encouraging victory as we look to make up for lost time following our sluggish start to the year. With just two victories rounding off the month we can only hope to remain on the coat-tails of the chasing pack...

January 2023
National League

imjgHy.png

...How?

Despite picking up a rather worrying Eight points from a possible Fifteen I've somehow emerged out of January at the top of the table. With Southport, Hampton & Richmond and even Wrexham apparently unwilling to take the Bull by the horns and actually show they want to win this League we blunder our way to the top.

Time to show them how its done I guess?

February 2023​

TU6V1C.png

11th February 2023
National League

6L3pkX.png

Any hopes that our surprise top of the table status might have inspired my new found squad quickly evaporated just after the break as our fellow promotion chasing side Tranmere destroy us in humiliating style with a goal just three minutes from time capping their impressive comeback to perhaps deservedly scoop the points.

18th February 2023
National League

hlzmlY.png

Following on from our disappointing loss, the boys fail to start the next game as they are quickly brushed off by a lowly Blyth. Conceding two goals in quick succession effectively killed of our chances before the break with a rallying second-half only mustering one disappointingly late goal to make it back to back defeats in the League.

25th February 2023
National League

6yUHLW.png

About time. Having started every game since his arrival its fair to say that Fabians time with Bradford Park Avenue hasn't exactly burst into life with not even an assist to his name but all that was quickly forgotten as he rifles home a Thirty Yard thunderbolt to bring us back to winning ways in stunning style at the hands of a shell-shocked Aldershot.

February 2023
National League

VK4ZE7.png

...Well. It could have been worse. Despite handing Tranmere three points at the start of the month they somehow fail to capitalize with Wrexham this time taking up the reigns to lead a frighteningly close table towards the all important end of season run in. With the title very much undecided one thing is almost certain. It's going to be dramatic.

Back